The Bible is Written in Metaphors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. You will agree and disagree on the interpretation of different passages. If a pastor prepares a message and does so in prayer and in council of the Holy Spirit it will bless the ears and hearts of those listening. If someone goes to interpret scriptural prophecy and does so in the flesh such interpretation will not go over with blessing. And to give example....

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. - Luke 13:6-9

In parables there are two things to be taken notice of, and to be inquired into of them that read.

First, The metaphors made use of.
Second, The doctrine or mysteries couched under such metaphors.

The metaphors in this parable are,
1. A certain man;
2. A vineyard;
3. A fig-tree, barren or fruitless;
4. A dresser;
5. Three years;
6. Digging and dunging, &c.

The doctrine, or mystery, couched under these words is to show us what is like to become of a fruitless or formal professor. For...

1. By the man in the parable is meant God the Father.
2. By the vineyard, his church.
3. By the fig-tree, a professor.
4. By the dresser, the Lord Jesus.
5. By the fig-tree’s barrenness, the professor's fruitlessness.
6. By the three years, the patience of God that for a time he extendeth to barren professors.
7. This calling to the dresser of the vineyard to cut it down, is to show the outcries of justice against fruitless professors.
8. The dresser's interceding is to show how the Lord Jesus steps in, and takes hold of the head of his Father's axe, to stop, or at least to defer, the present execution of a barren fig-tree.
9. The dresser's desire to try to make the fig-tree fruitful, is to show you how unwilling he is that even a barren fig-tree should yet be barren, and perish.
10. His digging about it, and dunging of it, is to show his willingness to apply gospel helps to this barren professor, if haply he may be fruitful.
11. The supposition that the fig-tree may yet continue fruitless, is to show, that when Christ Jesus hath done all, there are some professors will abide barren and fruitless.
12. The determination upon this supposition, at last to cut it down, is a certain prediction of such professor’s unavoidable and eternal damnation.

But to take this parable into pieces, and to discourse more particularly, though with all brevity, upon all the parts thereof. "A certain MAN had a fig-tree planted in his vineyard." The MAN, I told you, is to present us with God the Father; by which similitude he is often set out in the New Testament. Observe then, that it is no new thing, if you find in God's church barren fig-trees, fruitless professors; even as here you see is a tree, a fruitless tree, a fruitless fig-tree in the vineyard.

Fruit is not so easily brought forth as a profession is got into; it is easy for a man to clothe himself with a fair show in the flesh, to word it, and say, Be thou warmed and filled with the best. It is no hard thing to do these with other things; but to be fruitful, to bring forth fruit to God, this doth not every tree, no not every fig-tree that stands in the vineyard of God. Those words also, "Every branch in me that beareth not fruit, he taketh away," assert the same thing. There are branches in Christ, in Christ's body mystical, which is his church, his vineyard, that bear not fruit, wherefore the hand of God is to take them away: I looked for grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes, that is, no fruit at all that was acceptable with God (Isaiah 5:4). Again, Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself, none to God; he is without fruit to God (Hosea 10:1). All these, with many more, show us the truth of the observation, and that God’s church may be cumbered with fruitless fig-trees, with barren professors.

Reactions: Helen

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to like to listen into the old inner-city radio as it was entertaining to find what those uneducated ministers would do with the Word of God. Most of the media I listen to is Christian radio. When I was in college I would listen in while doing my homework. Most Christian broadcast came out of the inner city and it was all unique. I would listen to ministers who would need readers. You would hear a gruffy voice, a pause, and then a soft female voice reading the next verse of scripture. There would be organist who would contribute to the sermon and I thought it was very entertaining and fun to listen to. While listening in to Christian radio one day I got the following sermon in which the minister boldly proclaims, along with many other one liners, in which I will emboldened the metaphors....

"No need telling us to blame it on the devil all the time. Because we give him so much credit until God can't get a blessing in there edgewise. The devil made me do this and the devil is in them, I discern the spirit, and you wouldn't know the gift of discernment if it walked up to you with a red hat on." - @ 6:00

Comparing the cold ways to a concentration camp... “Before they said that (all their accusations) to Job they sat and looked at Job for seven days. Just staring at him, you know, here is the richest man in the land, and my Lord he doesn’t have a plug nickel, and what’s going on with him? And they just stared at him! Have you ever been to church and folks are like in a concentration camp? And they sit and stare at you like your in a concentration camp! And they just concentrating on you!” - sermon @12:00

"Were going through a drought period for example in the church. Yes, people are making noise. Yes, they're falling out in the floor. And yes, they are even dancing as they say. But when all that noise is over, and all that speaking in tongues and falling out is over. When they go home they still have no victory... Can you say Amen?"

"It seems like we are going through a spiritual low in the church, where it is Sunday morning, and they come and my God, they will be high up in the Spirit. Come back Sunday night and folk are sitting up looking like totem poles." - 19:00 (Do any still come at Sunday evening service?")

"And sometimes when you council folks once or twice, it takes more than one counseling to get them all unwound, because they done fooled around out there with all these off folks, and off doctrines, until when they get done... They're still mixed up!"

"People are fighting over a position, and arguing over a position. Honey, I am not after no position, I am after God! They getting the coming with attitude. They coming in mad, sad looking like 6:00! And then leaving mad, sad, looking like 6:00!" - @ 24:00

"And the Bible says they will think it strange that you don't run with them, but that's all right! If I got to walk alone I will walk alone! People are coming to church and their coming for something, but it is so dead and cold in our churches until you can ice skate down to the pulpit! And whose standing behind that pulpit yawl... Rev Polar Bear! Cold as Ice! The first church of Frigid-aire! No deliverance! No life! No Holy Ghost!" - Radio minister @ 28:47

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer.
If the Father, Almighty Creator, grants HIS Wisdom, HIS Understanding, HIS Revelation to 3000 people at one time , as in ACTS ?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Ekklesia have the mind of CHrist, and the "attitude of Jesus", what then ?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if people simply HEAR THE VOICE OF JESUS (the Shepherd, the ONE and ONLY Shepherd - the ONE and ONLY VOICE they recognize as the Messiah Shepherd and follow HIM, and will not follow another voice, but run from other voices) ?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if people simply HEAR THE VOICE OF JESUS (the Shepherd, the ONE and ONLY Shepherd - the ONE and ONLY VOICE they recognize as the Messiah Shepherd and follow HIM, and will not follow another voice, but run from other voices) ?
I believe the scripture compares the deceived as many and the faithful as few....

And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many... - Matthew 24:11
When once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. - 1 Peter 3:20

So.... Be careful who you listen to!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the scripture compares the deceived as many and the faithful as few....
This is as written, yes,

and it is written that all the EKKLESIA were as ONE, agreed, laying down their lives for one another daily, IN UNION WITH JESUS and with one another... and so on, over and over in the NEW TESTAMENT>.......

i.e.
I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer.
what the Father revealed to the true believers, FEW AS THEY ARE, FEW AS THEY WERE< was the same , in perfect harmony...

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible, especially Revelation, is written with much metaphor. I cannot believe one can study Revelation, and the bible, and see the same perspective as another fellow believer. You will agree and disagree on the interpretation of different passages. If a pastor prepares a message and does so in prayer and in council of the Holy Spirit it will bless the ears and hearts of those listening. If someone goes to interpret scriptural prophecy and does so in the flesh such interpretation will not go over with blessing. And to give example....

John Bunyan was a great writer in metaphors/parables and he explains the use of them in his "The Barren Fig Tree" work (http://www.chapellib.../bun-barren.pdf):

you do know you and John Bunyan are boring, right? this subject is old and tiresome, not worth the effort.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you do know you and John Bunyan are boring, right? this subject is old and tiresome, not worth the effort.
Don't pay him any mind @rockytopva...I appreciate the wisdom in what you have shared and I love your passion to share.
Your website is excellent and perfect to go to and hear a sermon from some mighty men of God whose preaching was with power!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only, yes, the bible is written with some metaphors, but they will always in agreement with scripture everywhere else in the bible. but the problem come from as stated, men in the flesh trying to interpret scripture. but the scriptures need no interpretation from anyone in the flesh. scripture, 2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.2 Peter 1:21 "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost".

and this is the only way scriptures are understood today, A. men who are holy, and B. Moved by the Holy Ghost.

PICJAG.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and it is written that all the EKKLESIA were as ONE, agreed, laying down their lives for one another daily, IN UNION WITH JESUS and with one another... and so on, over and over in the NEW TESTAMENT>.......
You have taught me something today, indirectly, without even knowing....lol....and I give Him Praise for my knowledge is now increased!
I have seen you use this word Ekklesia many times and it wasn't a word I have seen people use here....so I just had to find out what this word meant and why you use it so often....and wow....okay I get it! this IS AWESOME and I want to share this article that did an excellent job in explaining the difference between Church vs Ekklesia..
Church Versus Ekklesia - Caris Ministries

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Church Versus Ekklesia
We could fill a book unpacking and expounding on those differences and bringing clarity to the entire issue. But for now, let me summarize it and state it simply.

Church speaks of a place where people gather and it influences their identity. Ekklesia speaks of a people who gather in a place to influence it out of their identity.

Do you see the difference? In every sense, down to their roots and developed meanings, they are exactly the opposite."

("Perhaps we should start speaking what we really mean to say: The church needs to be the ekklesia. It may initially seem to be a trivial discrepancy, but the differences are staggering.")

Everyone in Ekklesia might be in a church also, but few in church are Ekklesia, Biblically.

The ones who refuse to become born again in Jesus, by the Father's Will, remain dead in sins and trespasses, opposed to Ekklesia, and enemies of the Father in heaven.

This is true absolutely and metaphorically, with great sorrow and grief for the billions of lost souls on the wide path.

R

Rita

You have taught me something today, indirectly, without even knowing....lol....and I give Him Praise for my knowledge is now increased!
I have seen you use this word Ekklesia many times and it wasn't a word I have seen people use here....so I just had to find out what this word meant and why you use it so often....and wow....okay I get it! this IS AWESOME and I want to share this article that did an excellent job in explaining the difference between Church vs Ekklesia..
Church Versus Ekklesia - Caris Ministries

Oh, now I get it ,I think I have just learned something as well xx
Mind you ‘ church ‘ is a bit easier to type !

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(most) 'Church' is deceptive and deceiving most of the world.

Ekklesia (by God's Meaning and Definition) do not have a false spirit inside them, and do not willfully continue deceiving or promoting what is wrong.

R

Rita

(most) 'Church' is deceptive and deceiving most of the world.

Ekklesia (by God's Meaning and Definition) do not have a false spirit inside them, and do not willfully continue deceiving or promoting what is wrong.
The only thing I would add Joseph is that when many of us use the term ‘ church ‘ within our threads, we are actually meaning Ekklesia, it’s more a case of never knowing their was an actual word that could be used to emphasise the difference x

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing I would add Joseph is that when many of us use the term ‘ church ‘ within our threads, we are actually meaning Ekklesia, it’s more a case of never knowing their was an actual word that could be used to emphasise the difference x
This is a good , hope, but is not truthful, not knowing what is happening and what the Bible says would happen.
Over two billion people in 'church' on earth in reality have no idea and never see "Ekklesia" in person themselves (not in their own family, nor in any church they go to) , nor in Scripture, where it is first revealed.

R

Rita

Listen to my words Joesph , I said ‘ many ‘ - not ‘ all ‘ and it is not an untruth - I actually think you limit what God has done in the lives of many many people - be very careful what you accuse of being an untruth. It’s not me you will offend but the power and work of the Holy Spirit.
Rita

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are wrong, misguided, and not on purpose I think, just not knowing.
Listen to my words Joesph , I said ‘ many ‘ - not ‘ all ‘ and it is not an untruth - I actually think you limit what God has done in the lives of many many people - be very careful what you accuse of being an untruth. It’s not me you will offend but the power and work of the Holy Spirit.
Rita

R

Rita

You are entitled to your opinion Joesph, but that is all it is ‘opinion ‘
Rita

Reactions: Helen

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are entitled to your opinion Joesph, but that is all it is ‘opinion ‘
Rita
If and when God Revealed to YOU, that JESUS IS MESSIAH, do you believe that was or is YOUR OPINION ?

No.

You opinion, and my opinion, are like the grass, here today , gone tomorrow.

What God says is TRUTH, and what God Reveals is TRUTH, not opinion.

He does not allow the opinions of the flesh, in His Kingdom. This is not my opinion, this is in His Word, as also
what I posted before , that you disagree with.

What you posted was all along wrong, not just after I read it, not just after I thought so.