The Bible puts us at a Crossroads

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OK...we can see that we can reject or accept the biblical message or not. We can turn to Christ or continue to follow the wide road to ultimate judgment. If you are reading this post you most likely have chosen to follow Christ and to not avoid the biblical truth...at least not knowingly.

But few seem to realize that this is the first crossroads...the first selection...step one...and is but the first choice we will make concerning the words from God.

There are 4 kinds of soil in the parable of the sower. We may not be the rocky ground in that we have received the words of truth...unlike they who reject the truth outright...but there 2 other failure options before we get to having the good ground.

How careful are we to see that we are not fooling ourselves even in our acceptance of the biblical truth? Unless we see that we are very prone to missing the deeper lessons of the bible..in fact we must all pass through these lessons to some extent...we will likely be deceived as to our own true state before God.

So there are the wise and the foolish. The foolish don't consider that there are more crossroads contained in the biblical witness that needs the right decision. These always believe the best about themselves...they could not possibly be wrong. Instead these compare themselves with they who reject the bible in a self-congratulatory way...puffing themselves up in judgment over others. But wisdom can be learned through seeking and failures. One must however remain honest to do so.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How many people understand that the bible puts us at a crossroads...to become either a hypocrite or a saint? We can start out innocent before we come to the bible...unless of course we are they who indulge in sin wilfully.

It seems most modern people...who don't believe in a full victory over sin...are forced down the road to hypocrisy by that very denial of victory in Christ. So these don't seek the Lord for the overcoming power of His life of resurrection.

No, they trust in their own understanding by selecting verses from the bible that claim peace and safety.

So unwise.

But the words from God...on a human level...are there to make things WORSE for us (if they are properly understood). A religious bondage is not the best outcome for us...although it is intended to catch the dishonest in a net. God is fashioning both vessels of honour AND of dishonour with us who read about His words. The honest among us will repent and cry out....and be healed.

We are meant to cry out to God for the power (grace) of His Spirit.

Of course it is possible to remain innocent AFTER reading the bible...but then such a person was already given to such innocence (tamim). OR...feared the Lord and embraced humility thus escaping the condemnation of they who claim much...but do lie.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK...we can see that we can reject or accept the biblical message or not. We can turn to Christ or continue to follow the wide road to ultimate judgment. If you are reading this post you most likely have chosen to follow Christ and to not avoid the biblical truth...at least not knowingly.

But few seem to realize that this is the first crossroads...the first selection...step one...and is but the first choice we will make concerning the words from God?

There are 4 kinds of soil in the parable of the sower. We may not be the rocky ground in that we have received the words of truth...unlike they who reject the truth outright...but there 2 other failure options before we get to having the good ground.

How careful are we to see that we are not fooling ourselves even in our acceptance of the biblical truth? Unless we see that we are very prone to missing the deeper lessons of the bible..in fact we must all pass through these lessons to some extent...we will likely be deceived as to our own true state before God.

So there are the wise and the foolish. The foolish don't consider that there are more crossroads contained in the biblical witness that needs the right decision. These always believe the best about themselves...they could not possibly be wrong. Instead these compare themselves with they who reject the bible in a self-congratulatory way...puffing themselves up in judgment over others. But wisdom can be learned through seeking and failures. One must however remain honest to do so.

Interesting. The good ground yields spiritual fruit, growing and increasing. the others in the parable either ‘their glory’ withers (burned up in the heat), the Word is choked, or lacks moisture, or gets devoured by fowls...or has no root. The cross roads being: to see the Kingdom of God; one must be born again from above of the Spirit of God. That is ...the GOOD ground which yields and prosperous...the only increase which continues being His...that good seed sown in to ‘the ground’ of the the Kingdom of God.

The “good ground” which yields fruit being NOT that stony ground Mark 4:16-17 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; [17] And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. —for the Kingdoms sake, for His namesake...they are offended.

“Immediately receive it with gladness” ...“...so endure for a time”....consider all the urging of “if you endure” ....this does NOT mean that which is born of God from above ...sometimes doesn’t endure BUT the opposite: it is that which is sown in stony ground (stone tables) which only “endures for a time” and afterward, when affliction or persecution arises FOR THE SAKE of the Word to manifest the children born of God...that sown in stony ground “endures for a time” and is offended.

Ezekiel 36:26-27
[26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

2 Corinthians 3:2-8
[2] Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: [3] Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. [4] And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: [5] Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; [6] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. [7] But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: [8] How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

The sufficiency of men...sown in stony ground...”endures for a time”
The sufficiency of God ...endures ...”you shall keep my judgements, and do them”...The good ground to grow and increase in His Name. Mark 4:20 And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

2 Corinthians 9:9
[9] (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever.
^”seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and “his righteousness” and all these things will be added unto you.”

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go figure...so much throwing of stones. :(

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The crossroads of the faith are made quite plain when we see that we can go one of two ways...for better or for worse.

Is. 29:24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

The very next verse in the bible begins the next chapter. And this verse sounds very different from the previous one. Notice that the above verse has both understanding and knowledge in it...but not wisdom!!! That is left for us to discern for ourselves.

Isaiah 30
30 Woe to the rebellious children, saith the Lord, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

So then for these, not only do they retain their original sins...but add to these religious sins. So their situation is worse for having become religious. Jesus did say that they become..."twice the son of hell" who add their religious certainty to their human ways.

So then our religious dogmatism is a covering that does the opposite of surrendering to God. it increases the rebellious attitude of the carnal man..."covering him" with a religious certitude that he is now better than others. This process is subtle and takes time to work into a man. But it seems if we aren't going forward, we are going backwards.

God's ways through His word then seems to be "double or nothing." Either we enter into Christ and freedom from sin entirely...or else we pretend to do so and add a new layer of sin in our lives.

OR....we can be wise and claim nothing but keep an open mind in all honesty...refusing to add a religious certainty to our ways. We can lay hold on humility and preserve the fear of the Lord. Faith then for these wise ones is to be able to esteem that others have progressed farther than we have. But we don't need to compare ourselves with others. We need to go to God.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice that the above verse has both understanding and knowledge in it...but not wisdom!!! That is left for us to discern for ourselves.
. What do you mean discern for ourselves? It is God who gives it wherever and whenever He chooses...upon being born again of the Spirit. James 3:17-18
[17] But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. [18] And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Reactions: Nancy and charity

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seed into stony places: of Ezekiel 11:19-20 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: [20] That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

Matthew 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; [21] Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

Matthew 24:10-13 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. [11] And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. [12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. [13] But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Luke 7:22-23 Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached. [23] And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

The good ground sown in to the Kingdom of God: sown of the Spirit of God. “Blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.” And shall endure. “I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh.”... “I will give them one heart” “That they may walk in my statues, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.”

Mark 4:8 And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.

Psalm 85:9-13 Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land. [10] Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other. [11] Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven. [12] Yea, the Lord shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase. [13] Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.

1 Corinthians 3:6-7 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. [7] So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

2 Corinthians 9:9-10 (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. [10] Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness
“Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.” ...his righteousness ‘remains forever’ and is the only righteousness which endures to the end...Philippians 3:9
[9] And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Reactions: Grailhunter

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
. What do you mean discern for ourselves? It is God who gives it wherever and whenever He chooses...upon being born again of the Spirit. James 3:17-18
[17] But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. [18] And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

It is only when we enter into Him AFTER the first step ...when we enter INTO Him..that we obtain HIS wisdom.

AND...wisdom is something we learn through our many failures. God is patient with us. And we must also be patient with our own learning process. So then wisdom involves meat...the deeper lessons. No babe is going to get that. No one is born fully mature and wise. Even Jesus grew in wisdom in His lifetime here.

So then it isn't wise to suppose we have the necessary wisdom at the beginning of our walks.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is only when we enter into Him AFTER the first step ...when we enter INTO Him..that we obtain HIS wisdom.

AND...wisdom is something we learn through our many failures. God is patient with us. And we must also be patient with our own learning process. So then wisdom involves meat...the deeper lessons. No babe is going to get that. No one is born fully mature and wise. Even Jesus grew in wisdom in His lifetime here.

So then it isn't wise to suppose we have the necessary wisdom at the beginning of our walks.

Not supposing that. Simply stating it is of God. There is a lot promoted of self; it is promoted man needs to work harder when what man is to do (in laboring)is to enter into (through tribulations) His rest and cease from work. Do you disagree? The difference between the stony heart and being born again of His Spirit and the good ground being His? Since God gives the increase. Since God is sufficient...it is “seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness” and God’s sufficiency and God’s righteousness and not our own...and God adds what is needed.

The crossroads being: Romans 10:3-4 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. [4] For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness (sown in stony ground)to every one that believeth.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
AND...wisdom is something we learn through our many failures.
So true, for those in the world! Those who are not born of God. So sadly true!

But wisdom from above, from God, is ours for the asking. That is, if we do not doubt.

Are you saying we should doubt, and not expect that we will receive wisdom from our Father upon request?

James 1
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Much love!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not supposing that. Simply stating it is of God. There is a lot promoted of self; it is promoted man needs to work harder when what man is to do (in laboring)is to enter into (through tribulations) His rest and cease from work. Do you disagree? The difference between the stony heart and being born again of His Spirit and the good ground being His? Since God gives the increase. Since God is sufficient...it is “seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness” and God’s sufficiency and God’s righteousness and not our own...and God adds what is needed.

The crossroads being: Romans 10:3-4 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. [4] For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness (sown in stony ground)to every one that believeth.

What I am saying is that we indeed need to seek the kingdom...rather than assume we have it all...as a done-deal.

Submitting ourselves to God's righteousness means we wait on Him for His power...HIS decisions...not assume we already have it (as the Pharisees did). Either we wait upon the Lord for His power which is the victory over sin...or else we will think we have His kingdom and righteousness in the bag as we continue to walk as sinful people....by the power of the flesh....while claiming to walk in the Spirit.

It's to the point these days that many cannot discern the difference between the fleshly walk and the spiritual walk.

There is such confusion these days.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are walking in the Spirit, you do not sin.

Being led by the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are not the same thing.

If everyone was in the Spirit at all times, John would not have found it necessary to say he was in the Spirit on the Lords day. And if everyone was in the Spirit at all times, Paul would never have opposed Peter to his face.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For two people to walk together, they must be in agreement. There is no walking in the Spirit while sinning.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I am saying is that we indeed need to seek the kingdom...rather than assume we have it all...as a done-deal.

Submitting ourselves to God's righteousness means we wait on Him for His power...HIS decisions...not assume we already have it (as the Pharisees did). Either we wait upon the Lord for His power which is the victory over sin...or else we will think we have His kingdom and righteousness in the bag as we continue to walk as sinful people....by the power of the flesh....while claiming to walk in the Spirit.

It's to the point these days that many cannot discern the difference between the fleshly walk and the spiritual walk.

There is such confusion these days.

Understand if you are urging others to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness. But if you are implying God’s righteousness depends on our maintaining God’s righteousness...would disagree.

1 John 4:4
[4] Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

What is born of flesh is flesh. What is born of Spirit is Spirit. That born of the Spirit of God doesn’t, stop being born of the Spirit. If Christ is in you(anyone); He is Greater than that which is in the world, even the outward man crucified with Christ.

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Reactions: charity

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Understand if you are urging others to seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness. But if you are implying God’s righteousness depends on our maintaining God’s righteousness...would disagree.

1 John 4:4
[4] Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

What is born of flesh is flesh. What is born of Spirit is Spirit. That born of the Spirit of God doesn’t, stop being born of the Spirit. If Christ is in you(anyone); He is Greater than that which is in the world, even the outward man crucified with Christ.

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Hi,

The righteousness of God is always His by definition...never ours. We submit to His righteousness when we wait for His decisions and power...His visitation and inspection. IOW He has to get directly involved...in Spirit and truth.

We need to apply our potential in faith. It is faith that is missing too often. Jesus said...

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man comes, shall he find faith on the earth? Luke 18:8

Jesus is questioning that element that is required for the full victory of the believer over the world and the flesh.

Faith.

The modern church has seen to it that faith has been replaced with beliefs and certainties...apart from an actual encounter with God. So everything remains in the realm of theory and dogmatics. So then their faith is misplaced into what is taught by men.

Faith must be directed directly TO God...and not be placed in a theory or belief ABOUT God. To overcome in a real world one needs to be connected to the real God...in Spirit and truth.

Imagine a gospel that speaks of a reconciliation with God...but without any actual encounter with God.

If you read the bible you see God's hand doing miraculous things on every page. A LOT of relationship going on there. Is that our own experience?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The righteousness of God is always His by definition...never ours. We submit to His righteousness when we wait for His decisions and power...His visitation and inspection. IOW He has to get directly involved...in Spirit and truth.

“His visit and inspection.” Inspection ...would disagree ...as even Paul said not that there is any sufficiency in us ...but our sufficiency is God. If there is any inspection (IMO) it is God’s judgement for the poor and widows. Those that have no strength or nothing in themselves that is sufficient. For the despised Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

Clearly this IS the children born of God (whatsoever born of God) in the above which overcome the world. There is no “if”. Their sufficiency is of God...not in any sufficiency of their own. So we can sing it all day long but in the Parable you spoke of the different ground ...only one endures and increases fruit; that increase God’s. He gives it. Seed sown on stony ground only endures for a while. Some withers baked by the heat. Some has no water. “This is the victory that overcomes the world”...what is born of God springs forth and multiples. Right before the parable of will He find faith...Luke 18:1
And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

It is only that which is born of God that doesn’t faint. In all...He is urging and teaching and showing what is to come in: you must be born again of Spirit.

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man comes, shall he find faith on the earth? Luke 18:8

Jesus is questioning that element that is required for the full victory of the believer over the world and the flesh.

Who was He speaking to? What ministration was He putting forth as “His time” had not come? “Faith on the earth” you are forgetting...Isaiah 65:17
[17] For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

2 Peter 3:13
[13] Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Revelation 21:1
[1] And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Revelation 20:11
[11] And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

You are forgetting He said He had to go prepare a place...and He did. Then He said He would come again. It is His Spirit which gives Faith. Whatsoever is born of the Spirit of God ...a new creature born of God belonging to a new creation ...overcomes the world. Galatians 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Why would He doubt “Faith” when He is the one who made certain there IS a place?? Can swing that verse any way possible, but still, never does He say to beware: in the new creation or new creatures born of God...will there be any faith?

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are walking in the Spirit, you do not sin.

Being led by the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are not the same thing.

If everyone was in the Spirit at all times, John would not have found it necessary to say he was in the Spirit on the Lords day. And if everyone was in the Spirit at all times, Paul would never have opposed Peter to his face.
I'm thinking this was in response to my question to Episkopos?

Which of course he has not answered. Nor do I expect him ever to answer that question, although anything is possible.

Because by all these words, the teaching is this, if you do sin, then your "walk in the Spirit" is hypocricy, "adding a new layer of sin". You just make yourself worse!

And in this, Episkopos, and any who would agree with this teaching, deny the reality of every born again child of God, as we all know that sanctification in our lives happens at it's own speed, because that's God's speed, because He is doing it in us.

And this is the error. This is the condemnation of the children of God.

And that kind of teaching is anything but love.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The crossroads of the truth in the word is plainly seen in the parable of the 10 virgins. Five are wise and five are foolish...and these foolish ones are rejected by the Lord. So then the love of God bids us to be humble and teachable...to fear the Lord...and LIVE! But people would rather judge God and claim that His ways aren't just...or loving. Who are we to judge God and His motives? Yet people love to do that very thing.

Does the oil in the lamps given to us by God fill themselves? Is that part of a "done-deal"?

No, we must go and buy the oil for ourselves!

From where? From the Lord Himself.

Jesus says "buy from ME"...

Rev. 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

How much does it cost to get oil from God?

Everything. That is why many will never do this..instead making excuses about some doctrine concerning having a done deal or whatever. God's standard is ALL. The price is fair to all because the cost is all. Whether we be rich or poor, or free or a slave the cost is the same. All.

God is love...but we are too lazy and foolish and self-seeking to understand His ways far too often. But we can learn to love through the example of Christ who humbled Himself for others. And we are to humble ourselves likewise to learn of Him...to learn His ways and His judgments....having forsaken our own.