The Bible says "in everything, get Wisdom"; what 'Wisdom' do I need for growing old? Rush less? Eat less?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there!

So the Bible isn't so much for 'old age', it talks more about the young not growing weary and the elderly having dreams - which granted is important, but I would like something that gives context to the importance of old age in general. "The child reaching a hundred shall be blessed", sort of suggests that we have to preserve our childhood for old age and that if we do, that will please God. Somehow I would like to develop a "young spirit", but I don't know where the Bible supports that idea (perhaps I should just write down the verses that come to mind). I have looked at a few videos of the eldership of the Church on youtube, and that has helped, but I sort of feel like Caleb, I just want to go in and conquer the promised Land!

I will admit, there is a little selfishness, in my request - Jesus did not receive honor from Men, but I in my youthful folly, sort of imagine being someone who has an answer for everything, that if I play my cards right I will have a reputation for being truly holy. I guess I need to repent of that. We must all reflect on what we ask of the Lord, but I daresay I have starte to bore Him with questions about how much wisdom I really need. Do old people give up? I don't think they do, but that might be naive - it must be hard seeing people die all around you and you yourself don't know what your time was?

Anyway, if you could save me from being empty headed and give me a sense of direction, I would really appreciate it. Proverbs 3:5-6 is often quoted to me, but I don't how easily I can follow it with the life I have left. I do have life left, maybe what I should be imagining is God blessed by it, in some way (He has given me so much, I almost drown in good things, for which to praise Him).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Bible says "in everything, get Wisdom"; what 'Wisdom' do I need for growing old? Rush less? Eat less?​

Listen at least twice as much as you speak.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The root of all foolishness is the delusion of wisdom. Someone who knows he is learning is not a fool, he is a student. Fools do not think they are fools, but they think that they are wiser than others. So when someone reproves a fool, the fool will find it easy to ignore their warnings, because the fool thinks he knows better than his reprover. The true face of foolishness is arrogance. So in order to be wise, one must recognize that their own opinions and ideas are worth very little, and that the wisdom of others will in many cases exceed their own. It is being a student forever.

• Love
Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The root of all foolishness is the delusion of wisdom. Someone who knows he is learning is not a fool, he is a student. Fools do not think they are fools, but they think that they are wiser than others. So when someone reproves a fool, the fool will find it easy to ignore their warnings, because the fool thinks he knows better than his reprover. The true face of foolishness is arrogance. So in order to be wise, one must recognize that their own opinions and ideas are worth very little, and that the wisdom of others will in many cases exceed their own. It is being a student forever.
hey hey!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello

Jesus is our wisdom, there are two types of wisdom. Heavenly and worldly. Considering that the end of life here can cease at any time; heavenly knowledge is good and wise to have in a persons life following Jesus Christ.

Proverbs is also useful, and other books; the important part to remember is seek God in faith, and he will reward those who do so (Hebrews 11:6).

Also I remember James talking about in his letter how people are able to ask God for wisdom; but a person can’t be wavering in between the world and heavenly because the flesh profits nothing; and God will give to and and all people freely who come and ask Him; as long as they are not doubting; or asking for things in wrong motives.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello

Jesus is our wisdom, there are two types of wisdom. Heavenly and worldly. Considering that the end of life here can cease at any time; heavenly knowledge is good and wise to have in a persons life following Jesus Christ.

Proverbs is also useful, and other books; the important part to remember is seek God in faith, and he will reward those who do so (Hebrews 11:6).

Also I remember James talking about in his letter how people are able to ask God for wisdom; but a person can’t be wavering in between the world and heavenly because the flesh profits nothing; and God will give to and and all people freely who come and ask Him; as long as they are not doubting; or asking for things in wrong motives.
Great post!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there!

So the Bible isn't so much for 'old age', it talks more about the young not growing weary and the elderly having dreams - which granted is important, but I would like something that gives context to the importance of old age in general. "The child reaching a hundred shall be blessed", sort of suggests that we have to preserve our childhood for old age and that if we do, that will please God. Somehow I would like to develop a "young spirit", but I don't know where the Bible supports that idea (perhaps I should just write down the verses that come to mind). I have looked at a few videos of the eldership of the Church on youtube, and that has helped, but I sort of feel like Caleb, I just want to go in and conquer the promised Land!

I will admit, there is a little selfishness, in my request - Jesus did not receive honor from Men, but I in my youthful folly, sort of imagine being someone who has an answer for everything, that if I play my cards right I will have a reputation for being truly holy. I guess I need to repent of that. We must all reflect on what we ask of the Lord, but I daresay I have starte to bore Him with questions about how much wisdom I really need. Do old people give up? I don't think they do, but that might be naive - it must be hard seeing people die all around you and you yourself don't know what your time was?

Anyway, if you could save me from being empty headed and give me a sense of direction, I would really appreciate it. Proverbs 3:5-6 is often quoted to me, but I don't how easily I can follow it with the life I have left. I do have life left, maybe what I should be imagining is God blessed by it, in some way (He has given me so much, I almost drown in good things, for which to praise Him).

Joh 3:30He must increase, but I must decrease.

Php 2:3Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
These things need to occur. Can we do them alone? No... but...

Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mt 7:8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Php 2:3Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.

Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mt 7:8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
So long as breath is in our lungs let all honor the LORD , pointing to CHRIST . Let the LORD be praised my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as advice to be living to be old . Well no man knows how long they live .
But i know something that is far greater than living to be old .
And even methusulah would agree . And he lived to be well over nine hundred , nigh a thousand , A THOUSAND years .
I have a secrete which was since the beginning yet made manifest in CHRIST in these last days .
Who wants to live to be old , when we can live FOREVER .
AND not only that , but the place i speak of , we will never suffer , never grow old .
WHO wants to live FOREVER . THEN BELIEVE YE IN HE WHOM GOD DID SEND . BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST
for i tell us all if one does , THEY SHALL NEVER DIE . AND THE BEST BY FAR AWAITS THEM at the end of their faith .
PONDER ON THE BEAUTY OF THAT . THIS LIFE is but a vapor . IT COMES and as the early morning dew
it vanishes away . BUT THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN CHRIST , SHALL LIVE FOREVER . IN A HOME we never earned
in a place we never deserved . BUT PRAISE GOD FOR HIS GRACE GIVEN US IN JESUS , IT AWAITS THE LAMBS .
I earned the other place . The place of eternal torment. A punishment far greater than anything man can do or that i can
suffer here . And i earned it megafold . excuse me , OR BETTER YET , JOIN ME WHILE I PRAISE GOD
FOR HIS WONDERFUL GRACE , HIS WONDERFUL MERCY that prepared a place for me that though i deserved it not
ITS MINE IN JESUS . PONDER ON THE BEAUTY OF THAT and LET THE PEACE OF GOD FILL YOU .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Have peace in CHRIST . a peace this world could never give , a fullfillment the flesh can never bring .
We once were shameless in darkness , NOW BE SHAMLESS IN THE LIGHT .
LIVE FOR JESUS . And raise those hands for our salvation is far nearer than when we first believed .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 19:8 To acquire wisdom is to love yourself; people who cherish understanding will prosper.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Hi there!

So the Bible isn't so much for 'old age', it talks more about the young not growing weary and the elderly having dreams - which granted is important, but I would like something that gives context to the importance of old age in general.

Psalm 92:14

They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; They shall be healthy and flourishing;

And the wisdom you need is this...
"Christ in you, the hope of Glory"
Get that wisdom, most of all...by being born again.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs chapter 1, must be sincere and diligent about God. Most people are spiritually bankrupt. No spirtual growth. Dead works. Hebrews chapter 5. The congregation should be teachers of God's word after 20 years. Sadly, many people are on milk. Thier biblically illiterate. How can God use some one who is biblically illiterate to produce fruit, share truth with others. John chapter 15, dead branches are useless. Get the picture. Those who study sound doctrine and increase in knowledge of God, are pruned, to produce more fruit. God won't bless anyone who teaches or listening to traditions of men. Get the picture. Spirtual growth is studying sound doctrine. Repetition is good. Christian people study and increase in knowledge. Apostle Paul excelled the other apostles. He was taught at the feet of GAMIEL, a scholar. Paul wasn't any better than the disciples. But he excelled in knowledge. Get the picture.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sophia,

There are two types of wisdom.

Earthly, Heavenly.

James has more information on that, my encouragement would be to read all the letter.

• Love
Reactions: Gottservant

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Advice? I think we each aquire that personally the older we get. Others shared experience may not resonate.

I'll just say, take your time. Enjoy life, and pay attention if you seem to be going down the same road of experiences. I see those as the flags that let us know what lesson or lessons we haven't yet let sink in.

Don't take yourself too seriously.

Reactions: Gottservant

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I read in this week's "New Scientist", that there are types of growing old.

I guess being true to the type God gave you to grow old in, is a good thing!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Recently I matured in way that I stopped seeing women as "objects" (and not persons).

Imagine what God has yet to reveal, if something that plays such a huge part in our lives, can change!

• Love
Reactions: marks

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Recently I matured in way that I stopped seeing women as "objects" (and not persons).

Imagine what God has yet to reveal, if something that plays such a huge part in our lives, can change!
don't blow it all out the whistle!