The birthday party.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago I heard a visiting preacher tell a story I’ve never forgotten.

He was visiting the City That Never Sleeps – New York – and arrived late at night. Being hungry he left his down-town hotel room and went out on the streets looking for food. The all-night café he chose was clean but cheap and he went in and ordered his food. As he sat there enjoying his meal a group of women came in and he realised they were street girls – prostitutes.

He was curious when the owner produced a birthday cake decorated with candles. His curiosity getting the better of him he asked who’s birthday it was and was told that it was for one of the girls who hadn’t arrived and that she had never before had a birthday party so they were clubbing together to make her first ever party.

The birthday girl duly arrived and was overwhelmed and moved to tears by what greeted her in that little café. The man wished her a happy birthday and paid his bill at the counter but before returning in to his hotel room he also offered a donation to the cost of the party.

After telling us this moving story we couldn’t guess what the ‘punch line’ would be but it has always stuck with me.

He said, “I want to be part of a church that makes parties for prostitutes.”

D

Dave L

He was visiting the City That Never Sleeps – New York – and arrived late at night. Being hungry he left his down-town hotel room and went out on the streets looking for food. The all-night café he chose was clean but cheap and he went in and ordered his food. As he sat there enjoying his meal a group of women came in and he realised they were street girls – prostitutes.

He was curious when the owner produced a birthday cake decorated with candles. His curiosity getting the better of him he asked who’s birthday it was and was told that it was for one of the girls who hadn’t arrived and that she had never before had a birthday party so they were clubbing together to make her first ever party.

The birthday girl duly arrived and was overwhelmed and moved to tears by what greeted her in that little café. The man wished her a happy birthday and paid his bill at the counter but before returning in to his hotel room he also offered a donation to the cost of the party.

After telling us this moving story we couldn’t guess what the ‘punch line’ would be but it has always stuck with me.

I've always said drunks and hookers are closer to the kingdom than many in church today. They at least know they have a sin problem.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've always said drunks and hookers are closer to the kingdom than many in church today. They at least know they have a sin problem.
And it is people like those women that the church needs to reach. But it is so insular. None of my Christian friends ever wanted to go to pubs with us and mix with those that frequent them. The Church in general like to mingle with its own it seems to me. Perhaps people are afraid of being contaminated by the world we are supposed to reach for Christ.

Reactions: amadeus
D

Dave L

And it is people like those women that the church needs to reach. But it is so insular. None of my Christian friends ever wanted to go to pubs with us and mix with those that frequent them. The Church in general like to mingle with its own it seems to me. Perhaps people are afraid of being contaminated by the world we are supposed to reach for Christ.
I must admit, I've received kinder fellowship with a few old soaks on the barroom stools than I have working for "Christians" away from church.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Love this ♥

Reactions: Pearl and Dave L

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Pearl

Good one.
I too know a preacher who was on a trip and had to stay in a hotel. (True story)
Before bed he liked to walk, so he walk around the block and was accosted by a very young prostitute. He asked her how much she cost for a night.
He asked her up to his hotel room, on the way he picked up two of her friends.

When they got in the room he asked them what they would like to do.
He said - "This night is on Jesus, so enjoy it."

They wanted Disney movies, ice cream and chocolate strawberries.

He got them.
So all night these kids drank hot chocolate, ate the food and watched kids movies.

He hopes these kids never ever forgot the night Jesus spent with them.

Who know, maybe they will find a home in heaven one day.
We never know.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl

Good one.
I too know a preacher who was on a trip and had to stay in a hotel. (True story)
Before bed he liked to walk, so he walk around the block and was accosted by a very young prostitute. He asked her how much she cost for a night.

He got them.
So all night these kids drank hot chocolate, ate the food and watched kids movies.

We never know.

Good story! I bet there were many seeds planted that night. It would be so wonderful to see where these women are today!

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl

Good one.

He got them.

We never know.
Maybe it was the same man.
@Pearl

Good one.

He got them.

We never know.

Reactions: Helen