The Blood Of Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. - Leviticus 17:11.

No other blood I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus. How precious is the flow that washes white as snow, nothing but the blood of Jesus!

Crucified.. killed out.. eradicated.. destroyed.. completely done away with - the sin nature. Oh the blood of Jesus!

8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. - 1 John 3:8.

There was no other blood that could take away sin. Not completely kill out and eradicate it's hold on mankind..no other blood but the blood of Jesus!
Jesus Christ has completed the father's will and redeemed humanity back to himself by the broken body and shed blood of Jesus Christ. The blood of bulls, and all the sacrifices made by man could not take away the sin nature! When Jesus shed his blood and dies on Calvary, he killed out the sin nature forever. It's gone - as far as the east is from the west - like it never existed.

Now the sinner was free to believe on the lord Jesus Christ. Upon believing the finished work of God on the cross..the believing sinner..could be saved. Their salvation would be their life, as well as expression (in the flesh) and nature. New life and new nature, and be free from sin and death!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What particular work did God finish on the cross?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus finished the task set before him, and completed the work of atonement.

So why did he have to ascend to heaven and present his sacrifice to the Father to secure eternal redemption?
Heb 9:11-14
11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation)
12 he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.
13 For if the sprinkling of defiled persons with the blood of goats and bulls and with the ashes of a heifer sanctifies for the purification of the flesh,
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify your conscience from dead works to serve the living God

Heb 9:26
But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the age to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Heb 10:12-14
12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,
13 then to wait until his enemies should be made a stool for his feet.
14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why did he have to ascend to heaven and present his sacrifice to the Father to secure eternal redemption?
Heb 9:11-14
11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation)
12 he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.
13 For if the sprinkling of defiled persons with the blood of goats and bulls and with the ashes of a heifer sanctifies for the purification of the flesh,
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify your conscience from dead works to serve the living God

Heb 9:26
But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the age to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Heb 10:12-14
12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God,
13 then to wait until his enemies should be made a stool for his feet.
14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.

Are you making a point?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you making a point?

Yes of course I am. Cannot you see it?
Jesus work was not finished on the cross.
If you read Lev 4, for example) you will see that atonement is made when the priest offers the sacrifice to God (vs 20,26, 31, 35, Lev 5:6, 10, 13 and many more).
Atonement was made when Jesus (our high priest) presented his offering (of himself) as I showed in the quotes from Hebrews.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read Lev 4, for example) you will see that atonement is made when the priest offers the sacrifice to God (vs 20,26, 31, 35, Lev 5:6, 10, 13 and many more).
Atonement was made when Jesus (our high priest) presented his offering (of himself) as I showed in the quotes from Hebrews.

Ok so what is the point?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Try reading it again. It says he had obtained (past tense) eternal redemption for us.

(Heb 9:12) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. The sacrifice had already been made on the cross.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so what is the point?

Try reading it again. It says he had obtained (past tense) eternal redemption for us.

(Heb 9:12) Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. The sacrifice had already been made on the cross.

I realise that it's a Protestant tradition to talk about "Jesus' finished work on the cross" but it's a man made tradition. Scripture doesn't say that. Indeed Scripture clearly indicated Jesus' work wasn't finished.

@Cooper
Heb 9:12 he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

He secured the eternal redemption when he entered the Holy Place and offered his sacrifice of blood.

As I clearly showed, in Leviticus the atonement was not when the sacrifice was made, but when the sacrificed was offered to God by the priest.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realise that it's a Protestant tradition to talk about "Jesus' finished work on the cross" but it's a man made tradition. Scripture doesn't say that. Indeed Scripture clearly indicated Jesus' work wasn't finished.

@Cooper
Heb 9:12 he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

He secured the eternal redemption when he entered the Holy Place and offered his sacrifice of blood.

As I clearly showed, in Leviticus the atonement was not when the sacrifice was made, but when the sacrificed was offered to God by the priest.

I don't understand the point your trying to make. Other than you believe something else? Am I reading you right.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand the point your trying to make. Other than you believe something else? Am I reading you right.
Perhaps Mungo is thinking about the OT priestly tradition whereby no sacrifice was either sufficient or everlasting, i.e. finished, until the veil of the temple in the Holy of Holies was rent in two so that all may enter into heaven's glory in the presence of God.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Added. This is helpful by Chuck Smith.
(Heb_9:9-12).
The contrast is the high priest had to go in every year to offer first the offerings for his own sin, and then to offer for the sins of the people. And every year he had to do this. But Jesus once went into not the tabernacle made with hands, but entered into heaven itself, (during the three days he was in the tomb) of which the earthly tabernacle was just a model. He entered into heaven itself and not with the blood of goats or of calves, but with His own blood He entered into that presence of God, having obtained eternal redemption for us. And so with His own blood He was then both the sacrifice and the sacrificer. He was both the offering and the one who offered.

You make a good point. I had not thought about this before. Is this what you were wanting?

Last edited:

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

You said in the OP "Upon believing the finished work of God on the cross..the believing sinner..could be saved."
But Jesus work wasn't finished on the cross.
You can believe Jesus work was finished on the cross or what the Bible says.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps Mungo is thinking about the OT priestly tradition whereby no sacrifice was either sufficient or everlasting, i.e. finished, until the veil of the temple in the Holy of Holies was rent in two so that all may enter into heaven's glory in the presence of God.

No, I'm not thinking of that. I'm pointing out that the sacrifice itself didn't atone for sins but the presentation of the sacrifice to God was the atonement for sins as clearly shown in Lev 4 & 5

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, I'm not thinking of that. I'm pointing out that the sacrifice itself didn't atone for sins but the presentation of the sacrifice to God was the atonement for sins as clearly shown in Lev 4 & 5
That might have been alright before Christ, but our Great Eternal High Priest changed that for all time and all people. Sorry.

Jesus is the propitiation for our sins, and I am glad.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That might have been alright before Christ, but our Great Eternal High Priest changed that for all time and all people. Sorry.

Jesus is the propitiation for our sins, and I am glad.
Your opinion is unbiblical.
It makes nonsense of Hebrews 9 & 10.
But if you want to follow your man-made tradition then so be it.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said in the OP "Upon believing the finished work of God on the cross..the believing sinner..could be saved."
But Jesus work wasn't finished on the cross.
You can believe Jesus work was finished on the cross or what the Bible says.

Ok so let's go a step further. Are you saying "what we believe" is what saves us?

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I didn't say that.
Are you saying that truth does not matter?

Ok what is truth. Is it my truth your truth. What is the truth. Doctrine only divides - I say Christ is life. Matching doctrines goes nowhere. What is it that matters in scripture? I say knowing the truth is the only thing that will matter. I say what someone believes doesn't matter to the father. We all have beliefs. I see it one way - another one see's it that way - so what, you have a belief. A belief is how you interpret the word of God so holds very little water in the overall understanding of God. What is truth? When a believer lives by what they believe (I'm talking about 'apart from the death burial and resurrection') they concern themselves with what they believe more than knowing Christ as life!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ok what is truth. Is it my truth your truth. What is the truth. Doctrine only divides - I say Christ is life. Matching doctrines goes nowhere. What is it that matters in scripture? I say knowing the truth is the only thing that will matter. I say what someone believes doesn't matter to the father. We all have beliefs. I see it one way - another one see's it that way - so what, you have a belief. A belief is how you interpret the word of God so holds very little water in the overall understanding of God. What is truth? When a believer lives by what they believe (I'm talking about 'apart from the death burial and resurrection') they concern themselves with what they believe more than knowing Christ as life!
@soul man John 14.6 is indeed the truth.

Reactions: Cooper and soul man