The Book of Jasher...?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Someone quoted the Book of Jasher on another thread. What church considers it to be canon?

It is actually mentioned twice in the OT.

The Book of Jasher was a part of the oral tradition of the Israelites of the early history of the earth and Israel. It provides a back story for the parts that Moses did not record in the Book of Genesis etc..

As I said previously, chew the meat and spit out the bones

Reactions: Stan B

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone quoted the Book of Jasher on another thread. What church considers it to be canon?
No congregation of Ekklesia that I have ever heard of,
not throughout all history as far as I know, -
they all do not accept it as canon.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

First off, I was the one who had suggested to you that you read the Book of Jasher which was referenced by Joshua in the Book of Joshua to tell the Israelite nation that some of their patriarchal fathers had worshipped idols. A fact that the Book of Genesis does not highlight. The pastor of the church that I am frequenting at the moment is stating from the pulpit that even Abraham worshipped Idols, based on some book that he has read this claim in, but the Book of Jasher paints a very different picture and tells us that Terah, Abram's father had, from memory, 12 wooden idols in his house which he worshipped. The Book of Jasher indicates that Abram took an axe to his fathers idols and destroyed them. The Book of Jasher then continues to tell the reader the reason that Terah up and left Ur abruptly because of his deceit of Nimrod, when his son Abram was born and Nimrod had wanted Abram killed at that time, after his son Haran had died on his return to Ur to see his father with his son, Lot and his second daughter. The Book of Genesis provides no reason why Terah left Ur with his son Abram and Lot.

Now when I recommended that you read the Book of Jasher, I made no claim that it was part of the Cannon of what is accepted as our Holy Scriptures.

The reason I was recommending that you read the Book of Jasher was to provide some background to the story of Esau wanting some of the stew that Jacob had prepared when he had entered his tent.

You were suggesting that Jacob had stolen Esau's birth right whereas the Genesis' account suggests that Esau had no regard for his birthright.

I had also suggested that you chew the meat in the Book of Jasher and for you to spit out the bones as you saw fit.

This thread was started by you to justify your claims against Jacob and to justify your not reading the Book of Jasher which provides a very different picture of what had occurred.

When Moses, the acknowledged author of the Book of Genesis wrote the book, he omitted a lot of background material from it as the Nation of Israel had written material that was available to them in the form of the Oral Tradition.

The reason that the record of the Oral Tradition did not become a part of the cannon of the "Christian" scriptures was because of the hatred of the Christian Scholars for anything Jewish because of their understanding that the Jew were the one that caused "our Christ" to be killed on the cross.

Now if the Book of Jasher provides a window into the back ground story of the Book of Genesis, then our reading of it will help us to understand the Book of Genesis better and the landscape into which Abraham travelled when he left Haran.

Sabertooth, you can read the Book of Jasher and take from it what you want, but it is a reference book that can be used with respect to Book of Genesis where we accept those parts from it which we can justify.

The ball was very much in your court, but you have chosen to put down the Book of Jasher without even reading it yourself to see whether or not it is a reliable source of information. Yes other people can help you in coming to an informed decision, but the choice is still yours to make after you have read the Book of Jasher for yourself. Stephen certainly referred to the Oral tradition when he spoke before he was stoned to death.

When I read the Book of Jasher, I kept the meat and threw out the bones which did not gel with my understanding of the Book of Genesis.

Your argument against the Book of Jasher is false. Having many people agreeing with you does not make your claim right in any way shape or form.

Shalom

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You were suggesting that Jacob had stolen Esau's birth right whereas the Genesis' account suggests that Esau had no regard for his birthright.
I don't need the Book of Jasher to tell me that. Genesis makes that clear. Jacob only took advantage of Esau's disregard (with God's blessing). Jacob was an opportunist. His oft-repeated epithet, "supplanter" is synonymous with the modern English, "underhanded."

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't need the Book of Jasher to tell me that. Genesis makes that clear. Jacob only took advantage of Esau's disregard (with God's blessing). Jacob was an opportunist. His oft-repeated epithet, "supplanter" is synonymous with the modern English, "underhanded."
As posted before - "supplanter" is accurate - modern English word "underhanded " is not accurate and actually is
false in the ideas it suggests/ that go along with it.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

But the Book of Genesis account does not explain why Esau had no regard to his birthright. The Book of Jasher does.

Reactions: Giuliano

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is actually mentioned twice in the OT.

The Book of Jasher was a part of the oral tradition of the Israelites of the early history of the earth and Israel. It provides a back story for the parts that Moses did not record in the Book of Genesis etc..

Jay, you are right on the mark.

"Is not this written in the Book of Jasher?"--Joshua, 10-13.
"Behold it is written in the Book of Jasher."--II Samuel, 1-18

The Book of Jasher, helps to complete the blank areas left by Genesis. Genesis covers the first 2500 years of world history in a mere 12 chapters. Jasher fills in some of the blanks . . . like the rapture of thousands of believers who were raptured up along with Enoch right before the flood. etc

Like thousands of history books out there, while not canonical, provide us with truth about the past.

Reactions: Giuliano

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible: New Testament: Hebrews: 12: 16See to it that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. 17For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected. He could find no ground for repentance, though he sought the blessing with tears.…

Bible: Biblegateway excrpts:

Jeremiah 49:8
Turn and flee, hide in deep caves, you who live in Dedan, for I will bring disaster on Esau at the time when I punish him.

Jeremiah 49:10
But I will strip Esau bare; I will uncover his hiding places, so that he cannot conceal himself. His armed men are destroyed, also his allies and neighbors, so there is no one to say,

Obadiah 1:6
But how Esau will be ransacked, his hidden treasures pillaged!

Obadiah 1:8
“In that day,” declares the Lord, “will I not destroy the wise men of Edom, those of understanding in the mountains of Esau?

Obadiah 1:9
Your warriors, Teman, will be terrified, and everyone in Esau’s mountains will be cut down in the slaughter.

Obadiah 1:18
Jacob will be a fire and Joseph a flame; Esau will be stubble, and they will set him on fire and destroy him. There will be no survivors from Esau.” The Lord has spoken.

Malachi 1:3
but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.”

Romans 9:13
Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP TOPIC.
it's amazing how people want to read another book when they have not mastered 1 (ONE), not one of the 66 book before them.

PICJAG.

Mosheli

Jul 2, 2020
Wellington
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The extant "Book of Jashar" is not the same as the Book of Jashar mentioned in the Old Testament, it is only a later rabbinic work. It is not regarded as canonical by any mainstream christian churches. It is useful as a scholarly reference but is not necessarily historically reliable.

Reactions: Jay Ross

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The extant "Book of Jashar" is not the same as the Book of Jashar mentioned in the Old Testament, it is only a later rabbinic work. It is not regarded as canonical by any mainstream christian churches. It is useful as a scholarly reference but is not necessarily historically reliable.
@Mosheli It's good not to put too much credence on writings which are not canonical and inspired.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP TOPIC.
it's amazing how people want to read another book when they have not mastered 1 (ONE), not one of the 66 book before them.

PICJAG.
Why do you bother to read our posts when you could be reading your Bible?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP TOPIC.
Jesus said the same thing, in perspective of Perfect Truth: My sheep Hear MY Voice (ONE) and Follow Me , and will not follow another.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you bother to read our posts when you could be reading your Bible?
I didn't read your post... :eek:

and from some of your posts I see many of you haven't read many of the book in your own bibles.

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said the same thing, in perspective of Perfect Truth: My sheep Hear MY Voice (ONE) and Follow Me , and will not follow another.
Correct, and many are not even hearing the one voice.

PICJAG.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't read your post... :eek:

and from some of your posts I see many of you haven't read many of the book in your own bibles.

PICJAG.
So why do you come here to read people's posts?

Last edited: