The Book of Malachi (Part 3)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
In our last study we considered Malachi, and on that night we dealt with the majority of chapter 1. We saw the way God felt towards the priests, the contempt that He had for the way they acted and the attitude that they displayed. The message was clear. Change your ways. Change your attitude. Don’t waste your time with vain displays of sacrifice when it means nothing within. They had betrayed the simplest of principles - that good works must originate in pure hearts.

This book really cuts to the core of what true Christians are all about. It highlights the challenges that we face both individually and collectively as an body of believers. We saw that this book does not pull any punches and does not hold back in revealing the Jewish nation for what they were. It contrasts the difference between the identity of the Jewish community as the people of God and the living out of all that this required of them. We mentioned that theirs was not the problem of rebuilding the Temple and holy city, for that had long been done by Malachi’s day; rather, it was the issue of holy living and holy service after all the wonderful accomplishments and the rebuilding of the temple. Malachi, though dead, speaks to us about the need to bring performance into line with profession, with our wonderful high calling.

But more than anything else this book shines upon the great God of heaven and earth and reminds us so strongly of the love and mercy that he is prepared to show anyone that seeks after him with a willing heart.

So once again we remind ourselves of the setting of this book. It had been about 100 years had since the people of Israel had returned to their homeland from the Babylonian captivity. The Temple had been rebuilt; the walls were rebuilt; the sacrificial system had been reinstituted. Most of their goals, which had been set for them upon their return, had been achieved. They were safe from the nations around them. And they were bored!! Their initial enthusiasm, due to the challenges they faced, had worn off. Their worship had become mechanical, ritualistic, and unspiritual. They went through the motions, but their heart was not involved. Their relationships were falling apart --- both with God and with one another. Yet, they can't seem to fathom why God is dissatisfied with them!

Now that is interesting considering that the theme of the book is: Who may abide the day of His coming?

Mal 3:2
(2) But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

So right throughout the series we want to keep dwelling on this question because after five nights none of us should have any doubt in our minds about the position that we stand in.

In the first five verses of chapter one we got an amazing insight into the mind if God. God said that He loved Israel and the response was plain “when did you love us” Now the answer to this question will also remain with us over the remaining nights as it is the motivating factor behind all that we are going to consider in the rest of the book.

Well when God was questioned on how he loved Israel he responded with the example of Jacob and Esau. The answer was plain. He loved them by choosing their father, a choice that was never annulled and whose benefits were extended to them.
Evidence of that love was the fact that Israel survived through the ages up to their own day. Even Babylonian destruction of the state and the temple, and the exile had not cancelled the promise, for here they were, a century after the captivity, still alive and flourishing in their restored nation with a renewed religious and social life.

So what then of us? Is our position really any different being grafted in to spiritual Israel the Father is saying in no uncertain terms that He loves us, and if we are in any way doubting or questioning when He has loved us He simply says consider your election? Consider the privileged position that you stand in. I have put you there says God. In my Love I have put you there. I have provided you with this congregation; I have provided you with truth and promised you eternal life.

So chapter 2 is our consideration for tonight and we have 17 verses to get through. Now obviously there is no way that we will be able to consider all the detail of this chapter but we hope to spend some time on a few sections to draw out the wonderful principles that we find. First of all we want to consider verse 1-9.

Mal 2:1

(1) And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

So very clearly we see who this section is addressed to. The Priests! And the words that follow are a commandment to the priests. Now think about this. As kings and priests of the age to come (Rev 5:10) this commandment is as much for us as it was for them. It is a commandment to reform. A command to change your ways! Now a command is not something that you can just take on board and consider. A command is something that you must do or there will be consequences. In this case the priests are told that they would be cursed.

Now for those that were here last class you will see that on the surface it sounds like this section here in chapter Mal 2:1-9 is just a continuation of chapter 1:6-14. But the important thing to realise is that the emphasis is completely different. In Chapter 1:6-14 we were considering the sacrificial role that the priests carried out. The emphasis was on the way activity in the temple was carried out and the attitude with which it was done. It highlighted where the priests had failed in that regards In chapter 2:1-9 the emphasis has shifted to the responsibility of the priests to teach the nation. We know that the role of the priest was twofold. And Lev 10:11 describes the role they were to have as a teacher.

Lev 10:11

(11) And that ye may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the LORD hath spoken unto them by the hand of Moses.

But in Malachi’s day the priests became indifferent and indeed scornful of not only their duties at the temple; they also became slack in teaching and preaching the Word of God. And Malachi addresses both of these issues separately. The priests were a privileged class in Israel, as Christ’s brethren are in the world, and they should have set an example that those of the nation could have followed.

So what was this commandment that was given to the priests? Well lets read verse 2.

Mal 2:2-3
(2) If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

So they were being commanded to give glory to God’s name. We are all being placed at point of decision when reading this verse. You reach a fork in the road and there are only two paths. One is the blessed path that leads to life that requires repentance and obedience. The other path is a curse, one that leads only to death. There are only two options, there is no middle road.

Now there are two key things that those people who are to be cursed do and they are found at the start of verse 2. “If ye will not hear”, one of the classic warnings of the Bible “for those that have ears to hear”. So the priests would not hear the word of God and there be those in these days that will not be prepared to hear the word of God. But there is more than that.
The next thing that you need to do is to lay it to heart. Hearing was not enough - you then needed to lay it to heart. Theoretical knowledge was and is not sufficient. The truth must lodge within our hearts, in must move us to walk in Gods ways. It must become the motivating force in our lives.

Mat 15:8
(8) This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mat 22:37-38
(37) Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
(38) This is the first and great commandment.

Now unfortunately for the priests in the time of Malachi God said that they have been cursed already as the Father knew that they would not change their ways, that they would lay His word and His ways in their heart. So the consequences of breaking the covenant were clear they had been laid out numerous times over Israel’s history. The nation had willingly entered into covenant relationship with God and now they had breached that covenant.

Deu 28:15
(15) But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

All the curses in Deuteronomy 28 would fall upon them. Not something that you would be too excited about.

Lev 26:14-17

(14) But if ye will not hearken unto me, and will not do all these commandments;
(15) And if ye shall despise my statutes, or if your soul abhor my judgments, so that ye will not do all my commandments, but that ye break my covenant:
(16) I also will do this unto you; I will even appoint over you terror, consumption, and the burning ague, that shall consume the eyes, and cause sorrow of heart: and ye shall sow your seed in vain, for your enemies shall eat it.
(17) And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you.

So then we read verse 3 which details specifically how this curse would play out.

(3) Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it.

Now to me this is such an amazing verse as you would not expect language like this from God. It is such strong language that requires us to picture in our mind what is going on here.

Now the first thing that He will do is that He will corrupt their seed. In other places corrupt is translated rebuke such as in Mal 3:11. God would rebuke the seed of the ground, preventing good harvest.

Secondly he will spread dung on their faces, even the dung of their solemn feasts.

Now this really is an image to contemplate. And I have to admit that I was preoccupied while considering this as I was reminded of a time when I was at school. It was on the year 9 camp in a nice rural location. There was a certain boy that was incredibly annoying on that camp, and there was another group of boys that did not like this. So this group of boys, not a group that I was involved with, I was just an innocent bystander. These boys took the annoying boy and pushed his face into a fresh cow pat. Now, I have unfortunately got this image in burnt into my brain, and I can see it as if it was yesterday. The displeasure that was displayed on this boys face as he tried to remove the excrement from his eyes nostrils and mouth was quite astonishing and it is an image that in some small measure helps to illustrate how strong God’s displeasure was with these priests.

So In the coarsest language possible God, clearly using this metaphorical imagery, highlights the state of disqualification as the smearing of the priests’ faces with offal. The matter described here is the undigested contents of the stomach and intestines, something so loathsome and impure it must be carried outside the camp to be burned (Ex. 29:14; Lev. 4:11-12; 8:17; Num. 19:5). For this to be spread over the face of the priest rather than to be carried away from the holy precincts and consumed by fire was to constitute the most serious breach of ritual purity imaginable. And the irony of the situation is so strong as we have the priests that could not see how God could be displeased with them. The were so self deluded and full of their own self importance. In this image they are revealed to all around for what they really were. On the outside they appeared holy and righteous but within they were abhorrent. Through this image they were to be revealed in their true state as filthy, smelly, dirty abhorrent material that need to be taken outside the camp and burnt. One thinks of Joshua the high priest who, in a night vision of Zechariah, appeared in “filthy” garments, that is, garments covered with excrement (Zech. 3:3-4). Though the word there is different from the one in Malachi, the imagery is exactly the same. Joshua was ritually defiled and needed to have his garments changed before he could continue his priestly ministry. The priests to whom Malachi is speaking will also need to be purified. Otherwise they, like the refuse, will be taken away and disposed of “outside the camp” (Mal 2:3).
And finally in verse 3 we read “And shall take you away with it”. As the refuse of the sacrifices was taken outside the camp and destroyed, so one would cart Israel away if the nation did not repent. This came to pass in AD70 when Judah was taken away and nationally destroyed by Rome.

Moving on to verse 4

Mal 2:4
(4) And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.

And ye shall know – The evidence will be seen, in the judgements to come. We must ask the question of ourselves will we be so indifferent and unheeding? Once again the theme of Malachi is that there must be a day of reckoning. Who may abide the day of His coming?

My Covenant with Levi – This was the covenant of the firstborn. But, Levi replaced the firstborn in each family. Levi was taken instead of the firstborn. This was because of the key incident when Israel proved faithless, but Levi proved faithful

Exo 32:26-29

(26) Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD'S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.
(27) And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.
(28) And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.
(29) For Moses had said, Consecrate yourselves to day to the LORD, even every man upon his son, and upon his brother; that he may bestow upon you a blessing this day.

At a time when all Israel had turned from Yahweh, Levi voluntarily stood by Moses and Yahweh. On this occasion Levi showed a greater zeal for God than for fleshly relations, and this constitutes the true spirit of the Levitical covenant. Levi means “joining”. They joined to Yahweh in true worship – and then joined the people to Yahweh by teaching them. Contrast the faith of the Levites in Moses day with the appalling standard of the priests in Malachi’s day. This is what happens when the truth is not continually prized from generation to generation, when standards of knowledge and practise are permitted to alter. The powerful exhortation today is have we replaced of Levi? Will we treat our responsibilities as lightly, as did the priests in the days of the prophets?
Lets move on to verses 5-7.

Mal 2:5-7

(5) My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name.
(6) The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.
(7) For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.
The tribe of Levi constitute a parable of what all Israel should be like. They did not receive any inheritance in Israel, for Yahweh was their inheritance.

Thus there lives were entirely devoted to His service, and there welfare consisted in following his ways. The presence of Levi in the midst of the other tribes taught the people that they to should put Yahweh first in all their considerations. We should appear in like manner among the people with whom we dwell – giving ourselves to his service, and working so that it exhibits to all that our first duty in life is the duty of pleasing Him.

The covenant was one of life and peace. Think about that what an exalted calling. Who else could guarantee Eternal life and peace? Israel had been offered these blessings and so have we.

Verse 6 & 7 highlights what Levi was like, the wonderful qualities that they exhibited and by implication that qualities that we need to exhibit.

(6) The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.
(7) For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts.

And we ask the question. Are we like that? Is there truth in our mouth?, can we be trusted? Is their iniquity found in our lips? Do we walk in peace and equity with one another and with God or is there strife and infighting among us? Do we turn many away from iniquity or are we afraid to say anything in case someone gets offended? Verse 7 The priests lips should keep knowledge and they should seek the law of his mouth. The orthodox Christian's catchcry is that they are Bible students. Are we? As an individual are you a bible student, do you seek knowledge or is it just not your thing? In this day and age far too many make the excuse that Bible study is just not there thing in the belief that this is a valid excuse. Try and use it in the day of Judgement and see how far it gets you? If our claim is to be Christ’s servants and that our desire is to follow him then there is no excuse for not wanting to find out more about him.

They were the "messenger" of that day, the messenger of Almighty God and they were proven unworthy. We are the firstborn. We now occupy this position of firstborn and are the messenger in this day, today. So the question begs will we to prove faithless? Or will we dedicate ourselves and live lives like the Levi of old honouring and fearing our God, living in the sure hope that is set before us?

Mal 2:8-9

(8) But ye are departed out of the way; ye have caused many to stumble at the law; ye have corrupted the covenant of Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.
(9) Therefore have I also made you contemptible and base before all the people, according as ye have not kept my ways, but have been partial in the law.

What a terrible indictment. The word way indicated a road trodden. This implies that the way was already before them; all they were required to do was walk in that road. They were not to build new ones, to suit themselves. At the end of the day the failed to honour their responsibilities! But the most tragic part of this verse in that the conduct of these priests had caused many to stumble at the law. They made people obey ritually without teaching principles and leading by example. And verse nine, because you have made my alter contemptible, so I will cause you to be treated in the same way.

Before all the people they were to be utterly humiliated and revealed for what they were. Jesus himself was part of this humiliation in the Word he spoke to the people in Matt 23.

Mal 2:10
(10) Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

In verse 10 the prophets turns from the priests and indicts the people because of their wickedness. Divorce and heathen marriages were rife in Israel, while the people were free with excuses to justify their conduct. By their philosophising the made evil appear good, and accused God of injustice. “Have we not all one Father” is referring to Israel, and not mankind in general. Israel constitutes the national son of God.

Mal 2:11
(11) Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the LORD which he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.

Israel was in covenant relationship and they were bound to keep the terms of that contract. The covenant demanded separation from the gentiles. Rejection of this teaching is here termed treachery. Israel had become an adulterous nation. They continued to commit spiritual adultery by going to the Gods of the gentiles.

The context of this verse shows how Judah had dealt treacherously and shows the manner in which this was done. Many had divorced their Jewish wives and married alien women. In doing this they had ill-treated their brethren by their ungodly attitude towards their sisters who they had divorced. We get this from Mal 2:14. The covenant that they had made with Yahweh had now been violated. Marriage on earth is a type of marriage with Him. The loyalty and love that should be manifested between husband and wife is a type of the loyalty and love that should exist between Yahweh and His people. But the loose way in which the people were treated in solemn ordinance of marriage, was but a reflection of the loose way in which they treated Him. If they refused to honour their earthly contracts – such as the marriage vow – how could they honour their heavenly contract?

Mal 2:12
(12) The LORD will cut off the man that doeth this, the master and the scholar, out of the tabernacles of Jacob, and him that offereth an offering unto the LORD of hosts.

The man that teaches and the man that commits this abominable action is to be cut off, or in our terms is to be dis-fellowshipped. Numbers 15:30-31 clearly lays out the punishment for one that wilfully commits these abominations.

Num 15:30-31

(30) But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
(31) Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him.

The rest of the verse details those that are to be cut off. That master and the scholar is rendered watcher and waker by Rotherham and it is the analogy of one waking another from slumber (or ignorance) with his teaching. So it is a reference to hearers and teachers of error. The one that offereth and offering unto the Lord highlights how devoid of understanding these people were, these men that had divorced their wives and married pagan women were still making offerings which were ridiculous. God is simply saying - don’t waste my time. Your offering is not going to be acceptable before me because of your attitude and your way of life is not consistent with what I deem as being right. Interestingly enough the word offering here once again refers to the meal offering which was supposed to represent giving your best to God. These people were making these offerings with a complete lack of true understanding and no concept of obedience to Gods ways. We must worship God on His terms not our own.

Mal 2:13
(13) And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand.

So verse 13 continues the theme and the first part highlights (And this have ye done again) that this is not the first time that this issue had cropped up in Israel. Ezra had dealt with the people in the matter of false marriages (Ezra 10:10-13). Nehemiah also dealt with this issue (Neh 9:1-2). But again the same sin had reared itself in Israel. Malachi warns the people that this was not the first time that they had been reproved of this matter.

The rest of the verse describes in heartbreaking language the damage that had been caused by these broken marriages. The result of such selfish, god dishonouring sin brought the divorced, destitute Jewish wives and children to cry unto God in their tribulation. There was no centrelink (Government aid) in those days. A divorced woman left raising children would have struggled to survive. This is figuratively displayed as covering the alter of the Lord with tears, with weeping and with crying out. This is what the guiltless harshly treated wives and children offered while the abhorrent sinners continued to present their meal offerings. As a result of their actions God said I will not regard your offering anymore He will not receive good will at the hand of a hard hearted Jew.

Mal 2:14
(14) Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.

Here we go again. Another unbelievable query! This response is one of shock. The offenders were blind to their sin. Strong’s had it as “What?” This indignant question highlights that they thought that God would have been pleased with the way they were acting. Do not under estimate how self deceived you can become when you start you start to justify and rationalise.

We are now again given the reason why God would not accept their offerings. It is Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously. The wife of your youth was a phrase that was supposed to take them back to the time when they first fell in love. They were to remember the youthful love and devotion that they had displayed to their wives in times past. They were to remember that this was the one they selected in the beauty and flower of youth.

Now they had remembered this, God wanted them to know that they had dealt treacherously with their wives and with Him. He was highlighting that this same wife that had once been loved had now been deserted as a new model came along. They had been dumped and replaced with pagan woman. In such action the Jews manifested their disloyalty; a thing hated to the Father. Under Jewish law, the husband could divorce his wife, (Matt 19:8 “Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.”) but the wife had no such rights. This was to teach a profound truth. The wife symbolised Christs bride (Rev 19:7) who cannot divorce her husband. He will always be faithful, therefore there can be no possible grounds upon which his bride might reject him. On the other hand he will reject those who prove spiritually adulterous, not showing him the love and devotion he requires. But these husbands were doing it for no valid reasons, and as a result they were breaking the spirit of the law.

And they were doing these things against the wife of their covenant. Marriage is a contract. It is a contract that should be treated with respect. Marriage is a type of the covenant between God and his people.

Mal 2:15
(15) And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

The “He” is God. He made one flesh man and wife, uniting them as one. Because of the essential “oneness” of man and wife in marriage, man has no right to divide asunder. Divorce was only valid for one reason, Matt 5:32 gives fornication. The unity between husband and wife is typical of the unity between Christ and his ecclesia.

We then have a question posed – Wherefore one? Why did God ordain it to be this way? Why? Well the answer is given straight after “That He might seek a godly seed. That is the purpose of marriage. That a multitude of righteous ones might be produced, generation after generation, fit to eventually inherit the earth and reflect divine glory. This is our great responsibility in the growth and development of our children.

So for the reasons that we have just discussed we are now told to take heed to our spirit or to examine our attitudes and motives so that no of us do the same and commit treachery against the wife of our youth. Sisters this applies just as much to you in the sense that both parties have a responsibility to make a marriage work and all need to examine attitudes and motives that are displayed within marriage.

Mal 2:16
(16) For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

“Putting away” means to send away. It is the same word used of the scapegoat on the “day of atonement”. Divorce produces the opposite that God requires from the marriage union. For the reason divorce is hated by Him.

Now we need to understand that the Mosaic Law did not uphold divorce, but rather set limits on its practise. As we have already said divorce was only condoned because of the hardness of their hearts and not because God approved of it. God hates divorce for very good reasons and so should we.

For one “covereth violence with his garment” is an interesting phrase and one the really summarises this discussion on the action of the Jews. Divorce is always violent and always leaves its emotional and spiritual scars and these were covering this violence that they had committed against their wives with a garment. This garment was a cloak of legality. They covered evil and justified their ways. The Jews of Malachi’s day covered their violence towards their wives by divorcing them under a cloak of legality. No doubt they followed the strict letter of the law in giving “a bill of divorcement” but in doing this they completely broke the spirit of the law.

Pro 28:13
(13) He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

An finally at the end of verse 16 we have another appeal to examine our hearts and motives and we need to take heed acknowledging that this nature that we bear will try and justify our actions by bending the scriptures to suit our particular needs and desires.

Verse 17 really makes up part of chapter 3 so we will consider that next class.

So in conclusion then we have been taken on a journey that demands self examination. The failings of the priests and the people were abundantly clear yet they could not see it themselves, as they had became so self deceived, content to justify their actions, and practise mere ritual. Now tonight may have seemed like a negative class in the sense that we have only considered where the people failed. Nights like this can leave you feeling flat with a heightened sense of our own failures and lack of worthiness to the wonderful calling that we have. But the main thing we need to remember here is that these people could not see their failings. They were not prepared to be taught of God. They continually questioned God when He accused then of something. Now for a start this is a disgusting attitude to have and really highlights why so much time needs to be spent on revealing this nation for what they were.

Now we saw in the first class, that the first words in this letter are “I have loved you”. We saw that the sole purpose of God, in writing this letter was to get the people to repent and turn back to him. For this reason, the purpose that God has in going through this process is extremely positive, and the benefits far outweigh the negatives. So instead of looking at tonight as negative we need to see it as an appeal of love from our Father in the last days. He has promised to save those that seek after Him with a willing heart, and in the next class we will head into chapter 3 and start to see the wonderful way that the Father was going to give hope to any of these people in Malachi’s day that wanted to listen to the words that were delivered, and change their ways.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was bit much of a lesson! I'm afraid I didn't get through it all... Yes, it would only take 5 minutes or so to read. But to read and understand and comprehend.... I've spent 3 months reading just one chapter at times.... It took me that long to get it!

The first thing that caught my attention is that although the temple had been built, the people -- even the priests -- had become slack. That's kind of like building a power plant, proclaiming it a great achievement (and it is) and then not turning on the lights of your house so you can get around without bumping into your furniture and walls! In other words, you must use the electricity and energy from the power plant for it to be useful! Don't know why I'm on an electricity kick lately... Just going with it.

With the temple, they could worship God in the way God said (at the time) they should. State of the Art facility! Latest and greatest NFL stadium with nice, shiny uniforms and the team is at a high school level with coaches just collecting a paycheck!

My goodness! Even under the Law, it seemed things were good. They had truth, they had God's favor, God had given back to them the means to exist in his good favor, and a tithe of their earnings is not that much to ask! Especially if they wanted to give it because they loved God.

The problem is that the Hebrews figured out a way to get back to ground zero, but failed to capitalize on it. They got the temple back, but what did they do beyond it? The same foolish thing they always did. Revert back to humanistic ways. Not a blast against the Hebrews, but it is something we all must be aware of. Bible history is kind of funny..... God's chosen believe in the Lord, they prosper. The get content, and God get's pissed. They then faulter and fall back into paganism. Then they find the Lord and then again prosper only to....

I really think when God sent Jesus Christ, he was looking to break that cycle.

But what does that mean in our present age when we have grace and are no under the law? We don't have the old rule book, but a much simpler gameplan. Grace removed all the rules holding us back. It literally rendered the other team defenseless and offenseless. What's to stop us from doing what we want? Only what we desire to do or not to do.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
FHII said:
That was bit much of a lesson!
Yes its a Bible Class study which goes for approx. 45 minutes.

The first thing that caught my attention is that although the temple had been built, the people -- even the priests -- had become slack.
Correct - consider the memorial meetings that take place all round the earth on a Sunday, or other day of their choosing. Attendance is waning in conservative churches as people are drawn to mega churches with bands and t-shirt sales at the door.

Christianity at present is in far worse a condition than ever was the Jew under the law prior to Babylonian captivity.

I really think when God sent Jesus Christ, he was looking to break that cycle.
We need Christ to be sent now to break todays cycle - and boy will he smash Christendom! With the roar of a lion and the two edged sword will he bring mankind into obedience.

Even the twelve who walked with Christ 3 1/2 years could not grasp his first coming and we Christians think we understand his second.

Purity