The Books of Maccabees

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have hardly read Maccabees 1 or 2, I think the first one starts of with Alexander the Great, decided I would put it in the Church forum, as I think these 2 books are in the Catholic Bibles.

So what else do you know about the books of Maccabees? What Biblical books are they related too?

@Philip James @BreadOfLife @RogerDC @Marymog @aspen @Illuminator @Cristo Rei

Reactions: Scoot

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Josho,

If memory serves,
Maccabees is the history of the Maccabean revolt and the cleansing of the temple.
This is where the feast of Hannaka begins ..
I havent read them in some time, as i recall the passages detailing martyrdom of some involved were quite inspiring..

Peace !

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Josho,

If memory serves,
Maccabees is the history of the Maccabean revolt and the cleansing of the temple.
This is where the feast of Hannaka begins ..
I havent read them in some time, as i recall the passages detailing martyrdom of some involved were quite inspiring..

Peace !

So who were the Maccabeans?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The institution of the feast of the dedication can be found at 1Macc 4:59

Then Judas and his brothers and the entire congregation of Israel decreed that the days of the dedication of the altar should be observed with joy and gladness on the anniversary every year for eight days, from the twenty-fifth day of the month Chislev.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Catholic bible with the Apocrypha but never read it.

Reactions: Josho

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have hardly read Maccabees 1 or 2, I think the first one starts of with Alexander the Great, decided I would put it in the Church forum, as I think these 2 books are in the Catholic Bibles.

So what else do you know about the books of Maccabees? What Biblical books are they related too?
It is the history of the Maccabees chasing the descendants of Alexander the Great and his descendants, Selucid, and particularly Antiochus IV Epiphanes who took over the Temple, desecrating it by sacrificing pigs on the altar.

The Maccabees were militant Jewish rebels who chased Antiochus and his gang out of Jerusalem and Israel, and cleansed and rededicated the Temple. Antiochus is a type of the antichrist who seizes the Temple and desecrates it in the End Times.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@Philip James @BreadOfLife @RogerDC @Marymog @aspen @Illuminator @Cristo Rei

They are related to Daniel 8, the little horn is the Greek king Antiochus Epiphanes IV @Stan B mentioned.

Last edited:

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Those books are in Orthodox Bibles too :) I don't know a lot about them though