the burden of damascus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
behold, damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap Isaiah 17:1

With all the problems between Israel and Syria this may come to pass soon. one can only speculate but we do know it will happen for the word states it.
i guess that's what they will get for messing with Israel, God's chosen people.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Israels counter defense strategy is to attack damascus. this prophecy could come to pass very soon.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
I see it happening on "the day of The Lord" when Christ comes, instead of some event of today when the tribulation has not even yet begun.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Teamventure. I find this subject very interesting. It may be the next big event in end time prophecy, and could come to pass very soon.... consider... Damascus is one of the oldest, continuously occupied cities in the world and has never been destroyed. that makes Isaiah 17 relevant to our day...
Syria has wmd's... an Israeli general about a year ago was reported saying that if Syria used wmd's against Israel, that 30 min. later Damascus will be a smoking hole in the ground. ( Isaiah 17 ) Psalms 83 is a prayer/prophecy for/of the destruction of the nations that surround Israel. The nations listed in Psalms 83 are not listed in Ez. 38 & 39.

It has been speculated, that Israel will attack Iran's nuclear facility's and the Psalms 83 nations will then attack Israel with wmd's and then Israel will respond with nuclear weapons and destroy them all, and then Israel WILL BE LIVING IN PEACE AND SAFETY. and we all know what that means.
I suspect that Israel will attack Iran very soon.
Pomp.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
The nations listed in Psalms 83 are not listed in Ez. 38 & 39

thanks pomp. that is very enlightening.
so i guess this coming to pass would put us right in line for the tribulation.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
There's a chapter section in Isaiah which scholars call 'the Apocalypse of Isaiah', involving the 'burdens' and 'woes' upon the nations. Each one is a description of nations surrounding Jerusalem for the end of this world, and then Jerusalem covered also, and it all culminates with God pouring out His Wrath on the last day of this present world. The only way to grasp that timing is to allow the whole Book of Isaiah to flow from chapter to chapter, and NOT by picking out a single chapter to move its timeline to somewhere else.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, what is the time line of Isaiah 17... What is the ch. in Isaiah ( the apocalypse of Isaiah ) looking forward to your input.
Pomp.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Some scholars claim it is only the Isaiah 24 chapter, which actually contain "day of The Lord" events, meaning the time of Christ's coming to fight Armageddon to end this present world. But that doesn't cover events to occur just prior, like tribulation events. The burden and woe Isaiah chapters are about the timeline just prior to "the day of The Lord", and flow to the 24th chapter, and after, and into Christ's reign with the 35th chapter.

Best place to start is with Isaiah 10 .

Isaiah 10 - mostly historical with some endtime prophecy, "the Assyrian" given also as a type for Satan.
Isaiah 11 - Christ's future reign and changes on the earth
Isaiah 12 - Christ established in reign upon Zion after our gathering.
Isaiah 13 - 'burden' upon Babylon; mostly historical; some apocalyptic bits
Isaiah 14 - Jacob restored (Millennium time); how Satan first rebelled; Satan and his locked in pit (Millennium)
Isaiah 15 - burden of Moab
Isaiah 16 - ... Moab continued
Isaiah 17 - burden of Damascus
Isaiah 18 - woe to land beyond the rivers of Ethiopia; possible pointers to western nations like the U.S.
Isaiah 19 - burden of Egypt
Isaiah 20 - historical
Isaiah 21 - burden of the desert of the sea; upon Media, Dumah, Arabia
Isaiah 22 - burden of the valley of vision
Isaiah 23 - burden of Tyre;
Isaiah 24 - God makes the earth empty; apocalyptic
Isaiah 25 - post apocalypse, and death swallowed up in victory
Isaiah 26 - mixture of apocalypse and post-apocalypse
Isaiah 27 - Israel gathered; leviathan punished
Isaiah 28 - woe to drunkards of Ephraim and leaders of Jerusalem; historical and apocalyptic at same time
Isaiah 29 - woe to Ariel (put for Jerusalem in last days); apocalyptic
Isaiah 30 - woe to the rebellious of God's people, false trust in Egypt; part historical, and part apocalyptic
Isaiah 31 - woe to those who go down to Egypt for help; historical and apocalyptic
Isaiah 32 - apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic with Christ's reign
Isaiah 33 - woe to the spoiler; apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic
Isaiah 34 - call for the nations to hearken; God's indignation upon all nations; apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic
Isaiah 35 - blossoming of the deserts; apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic

The timeline with those Isaiah chapters often flows in a 'past, present, and future' sense in many areas. One will only know that from studying about each event mentioned, and noting it's prophetic relationship in the rest of God's Word, and with history, and as a possible reoccuring prophecy for the end. Many events given have never happened yet historically.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Veteran,........... Every time I have read Isaiah, I come away with the same impression. that it is a collection of prophesy that are NOT in chronological order....He jumps all over history, past, present and future. example.... Isaiah 24 God destroys the whole Earth.... Isaiah 27 God is bringing back Israel into the land to make it blossom.... how can that be chronological?..... Or maybe it's just me.
Be well and prosper.................... Pomp.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Veteran,........... Every time I have read Isaiah, I come away with the same impression. that it is a collection of prophesy that are NOT in chronological order....He jumps all over history, past, present and future. example.... Isaiah 24 God destroys the whole Earth.... Isaiah 27 God is bringing back Israel into the land to make it blossom.... how can that be chronological?..... Or maybe it's just me.
Be well and prosper.................... Pomp.

I never said its prophecies were chronological. They're not, it's as you say, here some and there some, mixed within historical events. But that's the revealing, the fact that endtime prophecy is wrapped within it in that fashion, forcing us to study the whole Book, and understand their 'events'. That shouldn't be mysterious, because most all the Books of the prophets are like that.

When God speaks of making the earth empty like with the events in Isaiah 24, that's about His doing it, not man doing it. Those God has given power over the earth for the end are not going to destroy this earth with nuclear war. They plan to rule over it and all peoples and bring their version of a world peace. The only ones they will destroy are those against their plan to rule over it all (i.e., us). That's why God is Who will judge them and the world, and end their evil works by making the earth empty to end this world.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a chapter section in Isaiah which scholars call 'the Apocalypse of Isaiah', involving the 'burdens' and 'woes' upon the nations. Each one is a description of nations surrounding Jerusalem for the end of this world, and then Jerusalem covered also, and it all culminates with God pouring out His Wrath on the last day of this present world. The only way to grasp that timing is to allow the whole Book of Isaiah to flow from chapter to chapter, and NOT by picking out a single chapter to move its timeline to somewhere else.

I never said its prophecies were chronological. They're not, it's as you say, here some and there some, mixed within historical events. But that's the revealing, the fact that endtime prophecy is wrapped within it in that fashion, forcing us to study the whole Book, and understand their 'events'. That shouldn't be mysterious, because most all the Books of the prophets are like that.

When God speaks of making the earth empty like with the events in Isaiah 24, that's about His doing it, not man doing it. Those God has given power over the earth for the end are not going to destroy this earth with nuclear war. They plan to rule over it and all peoples and bring their version of a world peace. The only ones they will destroy are those against their plan to rule over it all (i.e., us). That's why God is Who will judge them and the world, and end their evil works by making the earth empty to end this world.
So the underlined words in your statements are they conflicting thoughts or am I miss-understanding your point?

Then would your 2nd quoted statement allow us to take Isaiah 17 and Psalms 83 and current events and see if they have any relevance to end time prophesy?............... just trying to connecting the dots..... Be blessed brother.
Pomp.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
[/u]

So the underlined words in your statements are they conflicting thoughts or am I miss-understanding your point?

Then would your 2nd quoted statement allow us to take Isaiah 17 and Psalms 83 and current events and see if they have any relevance to end time prophesy?............... just trying to connecting the dots..... Be blessed brother.
Pomp.

No conflict with what I said. Because the 'flow' idea I speak of comes by study of the whole Book, and not just pulling out single chapters by theirself. The very first couple of chapters of Isaiah is a type of summary for the whole Book.

And from the very start, God is giving us past, present, and future looks from the first chapter to the last. That's about the idea Paul mentioned to Timothy with rightly dividing The Word of Truth.

The difference between Isaiah 24 and Psalms 83 is that the Psalmist is ASKING God to pass judgment upon the peoples against Him and His people. In Isaiah 24, God reveals what He is going to do with that coming judgment, and how He will protect His own through it.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No conflict with what I said. Because the 'flow' idea I speak of comes by study of the whole Book, and not just pulling out single chapters by theirself. The very first couple of chapters of Isaiah is a type of summary for the whole Book.

And from the very start, God is giving us past, present, and future looks from the first chapter to the last. That's about the idea Paul mentioned to Timothy with rightly dividing The Word of Truth.

The difference between Isaiah 24 and Psalms 83 is that the Psalmist is ASKING God to pass judgment upon the peoples against Him and His people. In Isaiah 24, God reveals what He is going to do with that coming judgment, and how He will protect His own through it.

Then. there should be no problem with combining Isaiah 24 and Psalms 83 as the same event, Psalms 83 a prayer for deliverance and Isaiah 24 a answer from GOD for judgment and deliverance, and then apply that to current events of our day for fulfillment?

Pomp.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
[/b]

Then. there should be no problem with combining Isaiah 24 and Psalms 83 as the same event, Psalms 83 a prayer for deliverance and Isaiah 24 a answer from GOD for judgment and deliverance, and then apply that to current events of our day for fulfillment?

Pomp.

I suppose you could apply it that way. It'd still be the same concept of God's coming judgment.