The Calling of Matthew-The Dinner-And What the Wine Revealed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
I am continuing my series on the parables. In this video I explicate the parable of the “new wine into new wineskins,” illustrating what I believe is the intended meaning of the parable. Give it a viewing and let me know what you think. Perhaps we can have a dialog about it some day. It runs about 16 minutes.

Enjoy

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here we examine the parable of the new wine into new wineskins and what this means for the New Testament believer.

Just in case you might miss it,
@Randy Kluth @stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace, I'm still looking for an occasion to use the barefoot walking segment. I hope both of you are enjoying your holiday.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here we examine the parable of the new wine into new wineskins and what this means for the New Testament believer.

Just in case you might miss it,
@Randy Kluth @stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace, I'm still looking for an occasion to use the barefoot walking segment. I hope both of you are enjoying your holiday.
Well worth watching! I completely agree that the "old wine" represents the old covenant, whereas the "new wine" represents the new covenant of Christ. Although I think "new wine" in a sense was displayed under the old covenant in the form of spiritual righteousness and repentance, it could not really be viewed as such until the old covenant became "old."

Once Jesus arrived, people could be separated, the righteous from the unrighteous, by exposing those under the Law who were not really repentant, but relied on the Law as a "fig leaf," as it were. Those who properly under the Law had recognized their sin and inability to be self-justified found in Christ the new wine that enabled them to trust in Jesus' righteousness, based solely on his own record and dismissive of all that men can do apart from him.

True repentance turns away from human efforts altogether, which is what the Law taught. We are all sinners, and as much as we need to live in true spirituality and righteousness, we cannot in any sense depend on this righteousness to atone for our sins. We must completely depend on Christ in our lives, in our spirituality, and in our righteous living, in order to be truly repentant and experience forgiveness.

In order to truly be separated from "sinners," we must drink the "new wine" of utter dependence on Christ for our righteousness. Otherwise, we will be depending on a "fig leaf" to cover our nakedness.

This is what the Law had always taught. It had never been intended to be anything more than a temporary system leading to Christ's atonement. Christ's "new law" is purely a law of love, depending on God alone for our love and for our forgiveness. It is a righteousness pointed to in the Law, but surpassing it in freedom and in clarity.

Reactions: CadyandZoe