"The Carpenter's Son"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign...

Matthew 1:23
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Matthew 13
Is not this the carpenter's son?

Isaiah 28:17
Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet:

Zechariah 2:1-2
I lifted up mine eyes again, and looked, and behold a man with a measuring line in his hand. [2] Then said I, Whither goest thou? And he said unto me, To measure Jerusalem, to see what is the breadth thereof, and what is the length thereof.

Genesis 6:14-18
Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. [15] And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of : The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits. [16] A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it. [17] And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. [18] But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Isaiah 11:10 KJV
[10] And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Mark 6:3
Is not this the carpenter,
the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Emmanuel.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It took me a while to notice that this was in the Praise Section. :)
I first thought it was for discussion...
Yes indeed ...Praise the Lord for the Great Creator became our saviour..✟

We are blessed indeed. Thank You Lord!!

Reactions: pastorjagan

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took me a while to notice that this was in the Praise Section. :)
I first thought it was for discussion...
Yes indeed ...Praise the Lord for the Great Creator became our saviour..✟

We are blessed indeed. Thank You Lord!!

My husband asked me this morning: what is the point? He said I often strewn together verses and expect others to hear what I am hearing.

Yes, it was meant as praise and I guess all that really matters is that God knows and understood what was in my heart that inspired the message.

The point was leaving Joseph out of it.

Isn't this the carpenters son? In Matthew 13. God is the ultimate carpenter (master-builder) and we see this in His word. Then in Mark 6:3 it is: Is this not the carpenter?

Something I wanted to share this season.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The point was leaving Joseph out of it.

Well again I know this is in the Praise..not Discussion board...and so you can answer or not :)

But if God chose him ..ie Joseph, to raise Jesus, love Jesus as a son , teach Jesus as fathers do, and take care of His Son Jesus...why is it important 'to you' to "leave Joseph out of it"?
When God quite deliberately chose Joseph for it!!

.....Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well again I know this is in the Praise..not Discussion board...and so you can answer or not

But if God chose him ..ie Joseph, to raise Jesus, love Jesus as a son , teach Jesus as fathers do, and take care of His Son Jesus...why is it important 'to you' to "leave Joseph out of it"?
When God quite deliberately chose Joseph for it!!

.....Helen

Good question. No argument. Discussing Him is praising Him. :)

Why was it important to me to leave Joseph out of it? Because Joseph is not what it is about. It is not taking away from Joseph but looking beyond Joseph toward something bigger.

By His hands (Gods), all things are made.

Also, all those ingredients you mentioned Joseph having to raise a young Jesus, God put them there. How often do we hear Joseph meantioned in reference to: "is not this the carpenter's son?" How often is God meationed as the carpenter?

Just something to consider, H. It is not an attempt to change any doctrine; but rather to share a moment of praising all God has done.

Last edited:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Biblical typology is when a person or an event in the Old Testament foreshadows a person or an event in the New Testament. The bible is full of these kind of things. It is a primary tool of biblical exegesis to study these, because they all point toward the fact that Jesus Christ is indeed the Messiah (the Anointed One) promised to the Israelites for centuries.

Joseph in the Old Testament, Joseph in the New Testament

Both had fathers named Jacob.

Both received messages in dreams.

Both went to Egypt under duress.

Both returned from Egypt later on.

Joseph in the Old Testament and Jesus

Both were stripped of their garments.

Both were sold to heathens.

Both were unjustly incarcerated.

Both suffered for the sake of Israel’s benefit.

Both gave bread to save Israel.

Both came back to greatness after being down and out.

Joseph was set over all the land of Egypt by Pharaoh, Jesus has all authority over heaven and earth from Our Father.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Biblical typology is when a person or an event in the Old Testament foreshadows a person or an event in the New Testament. The bible is full of these kind of things. It is a primary tool of biblical exegesis to study these, because they all point toward the fact that Jesus Christ is indeed the Messiah (the Anointed One) promised to the Israelites for centuries.

Thank you kepha. This is not an argument but rather sharing with you a thought concerning typology. Where does "typology" come from? I ask because I truly do not know. Is it a man-made term to describe or is it biblical? The reason I ask this is because I suspect "typology" is not "typology" at all but rather another word for Spiritual truths seen in the Word. I recently visited another board where believers and non-believers can post and one of the post read: How do they(believers) get Christ from the OT? Please consider:

1) Why were these "typologies" unseen by the early Jews. Why were these truths "pointing to the messiah" hidden? How can a typology be hidden? But is it rather Spirit hidden within the physical text.
2) Why do unbelievers not see Christ in the Word? Why is this "typology" disputed by them?
3)Since every word that proceeds out of God's mouth is Spirit, then wouldn't a hundred percent of the Word be hidden "typology" Spiritual truths. I have yet to see a verse that doesn't somehow point to Christ. "Types" (Moses, Joshua, Joseph, Noah, Enoch, David, Samson, Solomon... ) whose lives testify of Him. Same as every believers life testifies of Him.

Again, just something to consider.
Maybe I will learn from you what "typology" is and where it comes from.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you kepha. This is not an argument but rather sharing with you a thought concerning typology. Where does "typology" come from? I ask because I truly do not know. Is it a man-made term to describe or is it biblical? The reason I ask this is because I suspect "typology" is not "typology" at all but rather another word for Spiritual truths seen in the Word. I recently visited another board where believers and non-believers can post and one of the post read: How do they(believers) get Christ from the OT? Please consider:
Typology is simply a tool for biblical exegesis, the study of foreshadow. What is hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT.
1) Why were these "typologies" unseen by the early Jews. Why were these truths "pointing to the messiah" hidden? How can a typology be hidden? But is it rather Spirit hidden within the physical text.
2) Why do unbelievers not see Christ in the Word? Why is this "typology" disputed by them?
3)Since every word that proceeds out of God's mouth is Spirit, then wouldn't a hundred percent of the Word be hidden "typology" Spiritual truths. I have yet to see a verse that doesn't somehow point to Christ. "Types" (Moses, Joshua, Joseph, Noah, Enoch, David, Samson, Solomon... ) whose lives testify of Him. Same as every believers life testifies of Him.

Again, just something to consider.
Maybe I will learn from you what "typology" is and where it comes from.
To keep things simple, typology is the study of foreshadow. There is lots of foreshadowing going on in the OT. Foreshadowing cannot occur from the the NT to the OT because the timeline of the Scriptures don't go backwards.
What is hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT.

Reactions: Helen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Typology is simply a tool for biblical exegesis, the study of foreshadow. What is hidden in the OT is revealed in the NT.

To keep things simple, typology is the study of foreshadow. There is lots of foreshadowing going on in the OT. Foreshadowing cannot occur from the the NT to the OT because the timeline of the Scriptures don't go backwards.

Makes sense.

You said "Foreshadowing cannot occur from the the NT to the OT because the timeline of the Scriptures don't go backwards." I agree but at the same time, maybe I don't know. @ScottA once mentioned the hour glass was turned up side down at the resurrection of Christ so that it runs the other way. Or he said something along those lines. I may have not understood him correctly.

It does seem everything repeats so the a pattern emerges. Jeremiah really is confusing:

Jeremiah 4:23-27 KJV
[23] I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. [24] I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. [25] I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. [26] I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord , and by his fierce anger. [27] For thus hath the Lord said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.

Genesis 1:2 KJV
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Very good post...
Agree....Paul used it a lot.
Our first old Pastor was a bit extreme....he used to say;-
If you cannot find it in a type or shadow truth shown in the Tabernacle patten that God gave to Moses, throw it out.
God said- " Be sure that you build it according to the pattern shown you on the Mount."
God is a God of order.
:)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Makes sense.

You said "Foreshadowing cannot occur from the the NT to the OT because the timeline of the Scriptures don't go backwards." I agree but at the same time, maybe I don't know. @ScottA once mentioned the hour glass was turned up side down at the resurrection of Christ so that it runs the other way. Or he said something along those lines. I may have not understood him correctly.

It does seem everything repeats so the a pattern emerges. Jeremiah really is confusing:

Jeremiah 4:23-27 KJV
[23] I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. [24] I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. [25] I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. [26] I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord , and by his fierce anger. [27] For thus hath the Lord said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.

Genesis 1:2 KJV
[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

In the flesh and in the ways of flesh is the repetition. Solomon wrote of those ways and Apostle Paul brought the problem forward to the new man within us to evict the old one and his ways.

"The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us." Ecc 1:1-10

The old man is the one who repeats and wants to repeat the things past that he sees as good, but his memory is incomplete. The children of Israel suffering in the wilderness wanted to go back because they remember the food in Egypt. They forgot the hardship of servitude cruel task masters.

When we look forward and never look back [recall for example the wife of Lot] there is Light before us. We are often thinking if I had done this or had listened to that, but it is all past. There is no hope in the past which is finished already. Jesus has finished His work but our work with God is before us, our rest is before us, the Light is before us. People who want to look back or even to stop here are missing the best part. The best part for us is always the next step toward Him. When we have taken that step then we do not stop but take another one until we too have finished our work. God will not forsake us, but when we look back or stop we are forsaking Him.

"Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more." II Cor 5:16
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@amadeus
As I read posts on here, I am seeing more and more how much the old man of the flesh is linked to Time. But our inner man of the Spirit is timeless.
( I've been reading all bbyrd009's and ScottA's posts on time..and no time.)

It was while reading your last post that I suddenly saw that our old man and our inner man are in two different realms and "time zones" ( or lack of)
I doubt that you were thinking anything same while posting...but I suddenly saw it in there. :)

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Also, all those ingredients you mentioned Joseph having to raise a young Jesus, God put them there. How often do we hear Joseph meantioned in reference to: "is not this the carpenter's son?" How often is God meationed as the carpenter?

Yes, glorifying the candle so that it eclipses the sun is what we need to be mindful of. Emphasis in the areas of the text that do not call for emphasis will shift the focus. Oh the subtlty of error that swirls about us in a dozen forms. May our God shine a light and guide our feet in his paths.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus