THE CHANGE OF THE GOSPEL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There have been many discussions about the “gospel of the kingdom” and the “gospel of grace.” Most do not agree that there is any difference in them. This writing is my attempt at showing that there is a very big difference.

2 Cor 3:6-18 (NKJ) Paul writing.
6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the """new covenant,""" not of the letter (Law) but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?
9 For if the ministry of condemnation (the Law) had glory, the ministry of righteousness (grace) exceeds much more in glory.
10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.

11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

What was passing away? According to the above it was "the ministry of condemnation, verse 9 (the law). What was taking its place? According to the above, verse 8, it was "the ministry of the Spirit." Therefore there were two ministries, two gospels. One was passing away (the law that Jesus and the 12 taught) and another was taking its place.

12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech--
13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away.
14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.
15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.
16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as ""by"" the Spirit of the Lord.

In the above we see that an old covenant was passing away. Take verse 8 and then look at verses 17 and 18. Men can not “transform themselves” by the choices THEY make and by their own power.

Notice that in Acts 3:21 Peter is proclaiming things made known by the prophets since the world began. ----- In contrast, in the book of Romans, 16:25, Paul is proclaiming things kept secret since the world began. Something made known cannot be a secret and something kept secret has not been made known. Clearly, Peter and Paul proclaimed two different messages.

Many say that Abraham and the Jews were saved by the grace of God in the “”same manner”” as we are in this age. I intend to show that it isn’t true.

It is true that Abraham "believed God" and it was accounted as righteousness before God. Does that mean that Abraham was saved at that moment? Did it mean he was saved by the grace of God and could enter into heaven to be with God? If he were saved at that moment, under the grace of God, he would not have been required to do the works that God had him do later in life. If his later works were required he was not saved by grace. It would have been by works.

We know that the Holy Spirit was not given until after Christ died on the cross. Abraham was not reborn and sealed by the Spirit. If he had been he would not have been required to do any works. If we look in Luke 16:19--- and read the story of the rich man and the tax collector who died we see that Abraham was in a part of Hades with both of them but not in the bad part, but in a separate part Jesus called Paradise from the cross.

Abraham was accounted as righteous but he could not BE righteous until Jesus shed His blood on the cross to pay for his sins in the flesh. No one was ever saved until the sin debt was paid. Salvation was, and is, in the work that Jesus (God) did on the cross. Everything points to Christ. Everything begins and ends with what Jesus did on the cross. To say that salvation came before Christ is to say His death was not necessary.

When we read about Abraham we must consider the whole life he lived, we see that he was required to offer up his son, that he was required to circumcise himself and all the males in his family. God’s relationship with Abraham was modified as time went on and eventually the law was given through Moses. It is clear to me that, although Abraham believed God and it was accounted as righteousness before God, there were works that were added at a later date.

During the dispensation of the Law of Moses a person was righteous before God by having faith in Him and by demonstrating their faith by their works just as Abraham did. This is exactly what James is writing about in James 2. James uses Abraham as an example and the words “justified” by works. James is correct in what he has said. He was preaching the gospel of the kingdom.

We can see that Jesus told the Jews to keep the laws of Moses and we can see that the 12 were teaching the same thing. It was the gospel of the kingdom and it was faith plus (+) works. They, the Jews, were to accept Jesus as the Messiah and He would set up His kingdom rule on this earth. But they rejected Jesus and His gospel of the kingdom. This teaching did not change until Paul came on the scene. We can see that, by reading the early chapters of Acts. I believe Acts to be a transitional book.

Paul teaches that Abraham’s faith making him righteous before God was a

"""""foreshadowing""""foreseeing"""beforehand"""would be"""

of the gospel of Grace that was to come (Gal 3:7-9). This means this was to be true in the future.
7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham.
8 And the Scripture, """foreseeing""" that God """would""" justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham """beforehand,""" saying, "In you all the nations shall be blessed."
9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
(NKJ)

Therefore the mystery Paul spoke of was much more than an acceptance of the Gentiles. It was a whole new gospel that was not seen in the O.T. -- Peter acknowledges that the message has changed when he says that the Jews would ""NOW"" be saved in the same manner (way) the Gentiles are, see verse 11 below.

Acts 15:7-11
7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them:"Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.
8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us,
9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
NKJV

The above verse 11 begs the question, in what manner were the Jews saved before???

My only conclusion is that the gospel for the Gentiles is a unique gospel given to Paul for the age of the grace of God. Although it was told to Abraham """beforehand""" it was not ""in effect"" and applied until Jesus died on the cross.

I see that the gospel of faith + works is a gospel that is suited for religion since it requires men to do religious things. I also see that Jesus did not think very highly of man’s religious works.

I see that the gospel of grace is not a religion. It is about a covenant relationship with God in the heart based on belief in God‘s work on the cross. It is a relationship of Father to son. It is a relationship of belief, faith, trust, and confidence in our heavenly Father and His work on the cross. If you have this relationship God does not require anything else.

Richard

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting study...I'm just waiting to see how many takers you have...
I am on the dumb side...so I'll wait for the 'wiser than I' to get started.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good to see you back Richard. Haven't seen your posts in a while.

Not much that I can add. You covered it pretty well.

An interesting tid bit about Abraham concerns him offering up Isaac. He was actually going to go through with it and still believed that Isaac (a dead man "to be") was to continue the line. Hebrews 11 tells us that Abraham believed God would raise Isaac from the dead (v. 19).

So it was never a work that Abraham offered up Isaac. It was the faith that Abraham had that God was still going to keep his promise even if Isaac died.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting study...I'm just waiting to see how many takers you have...
I am on the dumb side...so I'll wait for the 'wiser than I' to get started.

1 Cor 1:26-31
26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
28 and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.
30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God — and righteousness and sanctification and redemption —
31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord."
NKJV

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
<snip>
I see that the gospel of faith + works is a gospel that is suited for religion since it requires men to do religious things. I also see that Jesus did not think very highly of man’s religious works.

I see that the gospel of grace is not a religion. It is about a covenant relationship with God in the heart based on belief in God‘s work on the cross.
It is a relationship of Father to son. It is a relationship of belief, faith, trust, and confidence in our heavenly Father and His work on the cross. If you have this relationship God does not require anything else.

Richard

And yet, all these many year later it is still so hard for so many to understand grasp and believe!! The Devil must hate it so much , he fights it and 'salts' Christianity with the mixture.
To my small brain I can see that although 'they' call what is preach today "the gospel" it is not so...for as we know, Gospel means GOOD NEWS...but much which comes over the pulpits today is far from good news!!!
I do understand why some believe the bad-news...because for a couple of decades that is how I too was brainwashed. Brainwashed by those who had such good hearts...but who also had been brainwashed with the mixture.

I do believe a few have taken grace to the extreme...it now has a bad name...but grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will take me home.

( you have been missed, nice to see you posting again :) )

Reactions: H. Richard

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There have been many discussions about the “gospel of the kingdom” and the “gospel of grace.” Most do not agree that there is any difference in them. This writing is my attempt at showing that there is a very big difference.

2 Cor 3:6-18 (NKJ) Paul writing.
6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the """new covenant,""" not of the letter (Law) but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?
9 For if the ministry of condemnation (the Law) had glory, the ministry of righteousness (grace) exceeds much more in glory.
10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels.

11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

What was passing away? According to the above it was "the ministry of condemnation, verse 9 (the law). What was taking its place? According to the above, verse 8, it was "the ministry of the Spirit." Therefore there were two ministries, two gospels. One was passing away (the law that Jesus and the 12 taught) and another was taking its place.

12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech--
13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away.
14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.
15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.
16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as ""by"" the Spirit of the Lord.

In the above we see that an old covenant was passing away. Take verse 8 and then look at verses 17 and 18. Men can not “transform themselves” by the choices THEY make and by their own power.

Notice that in Acts 3:21 Peter is proclaiming things made known by the prophets since the world began. ----- In contrast, in the book of Romans, 16:25, Paul is proclaiming things kept secret since the world began. Something made known cannot be a secret and something kept secret has not been made known. Clearly, Peter and Paul proclaimed two different messages.

Many say that Abraham and the Jews were saved by the grace of God in the “”same manner”” as we are in this age. I intend to show that it isn’t true.

It is true that Abraham "believed God" and it was accounted as righteousness before God. Does that mean that Abraham was saved at that moment? Did it mean he was saved by the grace of God and could enter into heaven to be with God? If he were saved at that moment, under the grace of God, he would not have been required to do the works that God had him do later in life. If his later works were required he was not saved by grace. It would have been by works.

We know that the Holy Spirit was not given until after Christ died on the cross. Abraham was not reborn and sealed by the Spirit. If he had been he would not have been required to do any works. If we look in Luke 16:19--- and read the story of the rich man and the tax collector who died we see that Abraham was in a part of Hades with both of them but not in the bad part, but in a separate part Jesus called Paradise from the cross.

Abraham was accounted as righteous but he could not BE righteous until Jesus shed His blood on the cross to pay for his sins in the flesh. No one was ever saved until the sin debt was paid. Salvation was, and is, in the work that Jesus (God) did on the cross. Everything points to Christ. Everything begins and ends with what Jesus did on the cross. To say that salvation came before Christ is to say His death was not necessary.

When we read about Abraham we must consider the whole life he lived, we see that he was required to offer up his son, that he was required to circumcise himself and all the males in his family. God’s relationship with Abraham was modified as time went on and eventually the law was given through Moses. It is clear to me that, although Abraham believed God and it was accounted as righteousness before God, there were works that were added at a later date.

During the dispensation of the Law of Moses a person was righteous before God by having faith in Him and by demonstrating their faith by their works just as Abraham did. This is exactly what James is writing about in James 2. James uses Abraham as an example and the words “justified” by works. James is correct in what he has said. He was preaching the gospel of the kingdom.

We can see that Jesus told the Jews to keep the laws of Moses and we can see that the 12 were teaching the same thing. It was the gospel of the kingdom and it was faith plus (+) works. They, the Jews, were to accept Jesus as the Messiah and He would set up His kingdom rule on this earth. But they rejected Jesus and His gospel of the kingdom. This teaching did not change until Paul came on the scene. We can see that, by reading the early chapters of Acts. I believe Acts to be a transitional book.

Paul teaches that Abraham’s faith making him righteous before God was a

"""""foreshadowing""""foreseeing"""beforehand"""would be"""

of the gospel of Grace that was to come (Gal 3:7-9). This means this was to be true in the future.
7 Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham.
8 And the Scripture, """foreseeing""" that God """would""" justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham """beforehand,""" saying, "In you all the nations shall be blessed."
9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
(NKJ)

Therefore the mystery Paul spoke of was much more than an acceptance of the Gentiles. It was a whole new gospel that was not seen in the O.T. -- Peter acknowledges that the message has changed when he says that the Jews would ""NOW"" be saved in the same manner (way) the Gentiles are, see verse 11 below.

7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them:"Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.
8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us,
10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
NKJV

The above verse 11 begs the question, in what manner were the Jews saved before???

My only conclusion is that the gospel for the Gentiles is a unique gospel given to Paul for the age of the grace of God. Although it was told to Abraham """beforehand""" it was not ""in effect"" and applied until Jesus died on the cross.

I see that the gospel of grace is not a religion. It is about a covenant relationship with God in the heart based on belief in God‘s work on the cross. It is a relationship of Father to son. It is a relationship of belief, faith, trust, and confidence in our heavenly Father and His work on the cross. If you have this relationship God does not require anything else.

Richard
Certainly there is a difference. But I would have to say that the "gospel" is of Christ, and includes both: "first to the Jew, and then to the gentile."

These are as different as the flesh and the spirit...for each has their own children: the lineage of the first Adam, and the lineage of the Last Adam, meaning Christ "a life-giving spirit."

So, then, Israel was "chosen" in the flesh for salvation by the blood sacrifice of Christ (the Last of those who are first in the resurrection), which is the death and passing away of the flesh. While those born again of the spirit of God are the last in the resurrection, but the first to be born of the spirit, grafted in by Christ through the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when He said, "I am the vine and you are the branches", it was to Israel, the house for which He came, but the fruit is the spirit, of whom Christ is the First.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Whether we live in the Old Testament or New Testament side of the Bible both Jews and Gentiles are saved in the same manner that is, "by grace."

We know the above statement to be true because Jesus is the lamb slain before the foundation of the world, and that Noah found grace with God (Genesis 6:8).

There is only one covenant!

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: bbyrd009

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

NKJV

Hello @H.Richard,

Thank you for your entry. I agree that the gospel of the Kingdom preached by John the Baptist, the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Twelve, was directed to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, to whom Christ came. It was first proclaimed by angels and concerned a person :-

'And the angel said unto them,
"Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. ... "'

(Luke 2:10-11)

* He would, 'save His people from their sins' (Matt.1:21).

* It had been foreseen, and made known in Isaiah 53, that He would be rejected and put to death, but the promise made to David that his offspring would sit on the throne of his father David and reign, remains. The twelve proclaimed this gospel following the death of our Lord, and God validated their witness (Heb.2:1-4). However, the prophesy of Israel's blindness came into force in Acts 28:28, and the gospel of the Kingdom ceased to be proclaimed, and is now in abeyance. It will be preached again at the end of the age (Matt.24:14).

* During the Acts period Paul preached 'the gospel of God', (Rom. 1:1), which was subsidiary to the gospel of the Kingdom; it was not new, but foreknown by the prophets of the Old Testament, and revealed to all the Apostles and prophets of the New Testament (ie., the mystery of Christ - Eph.3:4,5).

* However, following the enforcing of the prophecy of Israel's blindness in Acts 28, Paul's ministry changed. He became the steward of 'the Mystery' revealed to him alone by God (Ephesians 3:9-10; Colossians 1:25-27); and the epistles of Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon, which were written subsequently, reflect that change.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: H. Richard

skypair

Nov 4, 2016
I see that the gospel of grace is not a religion.
Sorry but it is a religion. Any gospel that avoids having a relationship with God .. that is based solely on faith of the person seeking redemption .. approaches God on its own terms.

And the "gospel of grace" isn't the "gospel of Jesus Christ," either. The gospel of Jesus Christ is about having a covenant relationship with God through the auspices of His Son. The formal way to enter into that relationship is through repentance turning from sin and self unto God (Acts 2:38, 3:19, 17:30, 20:21, 26:20). He makes His promises to us .. we make our commitments to Him .. and by subsequently indwelling us with His Holy Ghost, He makes it possible for us to keep our commitments.

It is about a covenant relationship with God in the heart based on belief in God‘s work on the cross. It is a relationship of Father to son. It is a relationship of belief, faith, trust, and confidence in our heavenly Father and His work on the cross. If you have this relationship God does not require anything else.
Actually, in our repentance and commitment to Him, we promise to obey Him and that by the guidance and power that He gives us to do so. It doesn't matter how strongly you have "belief, faith, trust, and confidence" .. because it is your belief, faith, trust, and confidence, it isn't going to be enough.

I saw where you made a distinction between the gospel of the kingdom and the gospel of Jesus Christ … which is good. But do you not know that both are entered into through repentance to God (Job 33:27-28, Isa 55:7, Psa 34:18, Lk 18:13, etc.)? Yes, it appeared to be "works" but what actually preceded the works was a change of heart .. no longer doing life as I want but as God wills.

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City

Richard

I'll start by saying what the gospel of the kingdom is not.

The gospel of the kingdom is not about what Jesus did on Calvary, or Golgotha. The gospel of the kingdom is not about Grace. The gospel of the kingdom is not a message about Jesus.

What the gospel of the kingdom is.

The gospel of the kingdom is simply the message that the Father gave to Jesus to preach.

Luke 4:43 (MontgomeryNT)
43 But he said to them. "I must preach the gospel of the kingdom of God to the other towns also; for that is what I was sent to do."

The gospel of the kingdom is the Father's through Jesus invitation to man to enter back into the kingdom of God to rule with Jesus over all things.

Mark 1:15 (KJV)
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Revelation 3:21 (MontgomeryNT)
21 To him who overcomes, I will grant to sit down with me on my throne, as I myself have overcome and have taken my seat with my Father on his throne.

The gospel of the kingdom, is simply believing that the gifts one has was given to them by Jesus, and to use those gifts and at the return of Jesus, the individual will be rewarded/crowned king over their own territory.

Luke 19:15-19 (ASV)
15 And it came to pass, when he was come back again, having received the kingdom, that he commanded these servants, unto whom he had given the money, to be called to him, that he might know what they had gained by trading.
16 And the first came before him, saying, Lord, thy pound hath made ten pounds more.
17 And he said unto him, Well done, thou good servant: because thou wast found faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
18 And the second came, saying, Thy pound, Lord, hath made five pounds.
19 And he said unto him also, Be thou also over five cities.

The gospel of the kingdom is preaching the kingdom of God.

Luke 9:60 (KJV)
60 Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God.

But one cannot preach the kingdom of God unless they understand what is a kingdom, because a kingdom is not a democracy. A kingdom is not a republic. A kingdom is not communism or socialism. It is not fascism, or any other isms or system of government that man under satan's influenced have set up. In fact, the kingdom of God isn't like any other kingdom that man has ever seem. But nevertheless, the kingdom of God is a real and literal kingdom. It's the only kingdom in which every child of God in it are kings.

Last edited: