1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Christian nightmare

Discussion in 'NonChristian Help Forum' started by djstav, Oct 31, 2018.

1. djstav

djstav Active Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    Australia
    I had this thought 2 days ago.

"The Bible is not something you go and use to convert other's with, it's something you use to convert yourself with"

Basically what I'm saying is that you can't force it on other's and hope they will change for you. That is the Christian's dilemma & nightmare, making people believe what you believe then expecting them to change. No, it's supposed to change you. Am I right? I think I'm pretty close to something here.

You read the Bible because it transforms you, and if you are just using it to get people to do thing's you want then there are no word's to describe what you are.

2. Episkopos

Episkopos Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

You have a good point here. We are to be transformed so that our lives are a living testimony of the message contained in the bible.

The message is first and foremost directed at ourselves.

Butterfly and stunnedbygrace like this.
  3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You assume Christians are wired the same way you are. And then you build a hypothesis centered on your own way of thinking. Which, btw is how people condemn themselves in judging others. They expose their own hearts assuming their motives are the same.

4. djstav

djstav Active Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    Australia
    Indeed. The Bible even says that it is a mirror that you must examine yourselves by.

I have a secondary thought.

"Jesus comanded the apostle's to go out to preach, not every Joe or Jane"

So does that mean you must be called and have a gifting as an apostle to preach the gospel?

"ByGrace" and FHII like this.
  5. Episkopos

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

Actually, when a person looks to first apply the bible to themselves we only risk avoiding the rampant hypocrisies we see today.

stunnedbygrace and Dave L like this.
  6. Episkopos

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary use words. :)

FHII, amadeus and stunnedbygrace like this.
  7. djstav

djstav Active Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    Australia
    Look, what I said to you last week was fuled by a chaotic religious delusion. It comes and goes, so try and understand how dangerous this religion is for a person with Schizophrenia.

8. djstav

djstav Active Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    Australia
    Go through the Bible and see if Jesus was only addressing the apostle's.

9. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You are the one missing out, not me.

10. lforrest

lforrest Well-Known Member Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    Suppose a non Christian is depressed and looking for comfort. Then someone tells them to read the bible like they would a self help book, it will be unlikely to help. The scriptures need to be spiritually discerned. Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit the scriptures would seem like foolishness.

For this reason I don't try to give spiritual truths to non chrstians, as it is foolishness to them. I may argue if they are making specific claims, but that is probably useless as well. Until they come to accept the gospel the rest is going to be misunderstood.

"ByGrace", Taken, Butterfly and 5 others like this.
  11. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    fwiw "Christian" fits just as good as "non Christian" in there i guess
    i got some examples over at "Is the Sky Falling in America" if you like

12. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    If we are led by the Holy Spirit then we won't speak out of turn. We all have of course.

In what I refer to as my hitch hiker years I would pick them up as the Lord led me. Many he showed me not to pick up. Those I gave rides to I would not witness to unless the anointing came to do so. When it did then witness for Jesus was with power and words they could neither gainsay nor resist.

I saw the Lord cause me to go without a ride all night so that I could witness to them. I saw others turn their backs to the highway and walk away as I prayed about whether I was to stop for them. The Lord made it very plain to me. The wonderful anointing of the Holy Spirit must be our tutor.

The words of God live in us who are born again Christians. Everything must be at the direction of the Holy Spirit. It is he that tells us when to speak and when to remain silent.

When we are not to speak;

Ezekiel 3:26 KJVS
    And I will make thy tongue cleave to the roof of thy mouth, that thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be to them a reprover: for they are a rebellious house.

When we are to speak;

Ezekiel 3:27 KJVS
    But when I speak with thee, I will open thy mouth, and thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God ; He that heareth, let him hear; and he that forbeareth, let him forbear: for they are a rebellious house.

To be guided by the Holy Spirit we must be filled, baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:14 KJVS
    For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

We are to preach the gospel but it must be at the direction of the Holy Spirit. We didn't just launch out on our own!

Sent by the Holy Spirit

Acts 13:2-3 KJVS
    As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. [3] And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Acts 13:4 KJVS
    So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.

Forbidden to go by the Holy Spirit;

Acts 16:6 KJVS
    Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,

Trying to push your witness upon others without the guidance and anointing of the Holy Spirit is a fruitless work.

He is the master of the Vinyard and must direct our labors. Men's programs are worthless. God doesn't need idea men. God needs good listeners and obedience.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  13. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    You're absolutely right. The Christian's job is to share the Gospel from the Scripture after he or she has been converted. It is God then who uses this Gospel to bring sinners to the Savior. And nobody should be *changed* for someone else. They should be changed because God changes them and they surrender to God.

"ByGrace" likes this.
  14. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    it's like this,
    and like that...

(perfection is perfected so ima let'em understand)
    ain't nothin but a G thang baby
    :D

15. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    the Bible describes those who are "twice the sons of Gehenna you are" and possessed of "seven worse spirits" after supposedly coming to salvation

16. lforrest

lforrest Well-Known Member Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    Yes that appears to be correct in the context of djstav's post.

This is Lording it over someone

bbyrd009 likes this.
  17. ScottA

ScottA Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The bible is all of that and more. Mainly, it is a written record of God revealing Himself to people throughout the history of the world since the beginning of time.

But people do not share the bible with others to change them, but rather because it is good news. And it is the brilliant plan of God that those who hear it and believe it, are saved from certain death, while those who will not hear of it, nor believe, are not. This is His judgement given to all at their own hand.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  18. djstav

djstav Active Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    Australia
    Let me ask you this question

"Who was Gods PR guy before Jesus?"

You discount the billions of people who've never heard of Jesus.

I hate your religious hypocrisy.

bbyrd009 likes this.
  19. ScottA

ScottA Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I guess this means you have never actually read the Bible...'cause their names are all listed out in chronological order.

Your hatred is without provocation. You should be proud...and by proud, I mean ashamed.

20. djstav

djstav Active Member

Faith:
    Other Faith
    Australia
    Yikes! Who cares.

bbyrd009 likes this.