- The Cross of Calvary -

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

3Mquacky

Apr 21, 2011
Southwestern New York
Luke 23:33, “And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand, and the other on the left”

Just as there are two sides to every coin there are also two sides of the cross. Jesus Christ voluntarily walked the path that led to His painful and shameful death on a Roman cross, on a hill outside the city of Jerusalem. It wasn’t easy for Him to take this way. In His mind, He saw a vivid picture of the agony and shame He would endure to provide salvation for mankind. Nevertheless, He prayed, Father, glorify your name (John 12:28) and He looked beyond the suffering to the harvest of redeemed people and to the joy this would bring Him (Hebrews 12:2). He chose the way of the cross because of His desire to please His Father. Christians around the world celebrate an event that divides everyone into two distinct groups. Journey back with me as we travel to Golgotha, a hill just outside Jerusalem, to watch the scene unfold. As we approach the hill, we see three crude, wooden crosses. On the two outside crosses are criminals, hanging in intense agony as payment to society for their crimes. However, on the middle cross hangs an innocent Man. His pain has come through no fault of His own. He is suffering for others. He is Jesus Christ, God’s only Son. As we watch the three men, one of the criminals begins to ridicule Jesus. However, the other criminal rebukes this mocker. Then, turning toward the Man in the middle, he pleads, Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom, to which Jesus replies, Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise. The dividing line is drawn: One man finds forgiveness and hope; the other dies in his sins.

Closing thoughts:

My friend, if you haven’t done so, you need to turn your eyes toward Jesus. He knows all about you, and nothing is hidden from His eyes. He died on the cross so He could forgive you and be with you. He wants to look into your eyes as He did the criminal hanging on the cross and forgive you. He longs to show His love to you in your worst moment. All you must do is look to Him and believe as the criminal did. You see Jesus Christ is still the dividing line between two segments of humanity. Jesus said that whoever believes in Him is not condemned but receives eternal life (John 3:15-18). We have only two choices:

(1) Reject His sacrificial death for your sin and be lost for eternity, or
(2) Trust in His work on the cross and receive eternal life through His shed blood.

Yes, the way of the cross is costly; however, it’s the only path where a person can find a love that can never be fathomed; a life that can never die; a peace that can never be understood; a rest that can never be disturbed; a joy that can never be diminished; a hope that can never be disappointed; a glory that can never be clouded; a happiness that can never be interrupted; a light that can never be extinguished; a strength that can never be overcome; a beauty that can never be marred; a purity that can never be defiled, and Resources that can never be exhausted.

John 14:6, “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

(1) The cross has two sides.
(2) Which side are you on today?