The Crucified Flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:3-11 KJV
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7) For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8) Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9) Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

If we are baptized into Jesus Christ - spiritual baptism - we are baptized into His death, and are hereby told, our old man is crucified with Him.

This is done so that the body of sin might be "rendered powerless", that we should no more serve sin, because he who is dead is freed from sin.

We should no longer serve sin because we have become freed from sin.

This is a powerful new spiritual reality.

Paul describes it this way,

Galatians 2:19-21 KJV
19) For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21) I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

dead to the law so that he might live unto God, crucified with Christ, yet alive, but not him, rather Christ in him. Not the righteousness of Law - righteousness of "doing right" - but the righteousness of God by faith, grace.

God tells us we've been crucified with Christ, but right away tells us that this is so that the body of sin "might" be rendered powerless. If the flesh is crucified, what still brings us under it's power?

Ephesians 4:20-24 KJV
20) But ye have not so learned Christ;
21) If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

The lusts of the old man deceive. We are to put off the old man, which is corrupt, it's corruption in the form of deceptive lusts. Things you think you want, but really it's your flesh, not you. Not the real you, the spirit child of God.

We can put these things off, anger, malice, so on, we can put to death our members upon the earth, fornication, uncleanness, and so on, because we are crucified with Christ. Otherwise, that body of sin would be all we have and all we are, and you can't stop being yourself.

In Christ we are new creations, old is gone, everything is new, it's all from God.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Much love!

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5) For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
9) Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

If we are baptized into Jesus Christ - spiritual baptism - we are baptized into His death, and are hereby told, our old man is crucified with Him.

This is done so that the body of sin might be "rendered powerless", that we should no more serve sin, because he who is dead is freed from sin.

20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21) I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

dead to the law so that he might live unto God, crucified with Christ, yet alive, but not him, rather Christ in him. Not the righteousness of Law - righteousness of "doing right" - but the righteousness of God by faith, grace.

God tells us we've been crucified with Christ, but right away tells us that this is so that the body of sin "might" be rendered powerless. If the flesh is crucified, what still brings us under it's power?

21) If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

The lusts of the old man deceive. We are to put off the old man, which is corrupt, it's corruption in the form of deceptive lusts. Things you think you want, but really it's your flesh, not you. Not the real you, the spirit child of God.

We can put these things off, anger, malice, so on, we can put to death our members upon the earth, fornication, uncleanness, and so on, because we are crucified with Christ. Otherwise, that body of sin would be all we have and all we are, and you can't stop being yourself.

In Christ we are new creations, old is gone, everything is new, it's all from God.

Much love!
Exactly. Rom. 6 is clearly speaking to all believers who have received Christ and been baptized, not just a few. (But don't expect any acknowledgment from a certain quarter because that would mean humbly admitting a mistake.)

But I wonder if possibly it can be read on two levels, so to speak....one is the baptism in water and receiving the Holy Spirit, another level is baptism of fire (which also involves the H.S.). Why I am considering that is because the Israelites underwent two baptisms....Red Sea was one baptism and Jordan River was another. And there is the scripture that says though you go through the waters they will not overflow you AND when you go through the fire it will not hurt you. (paraphrasing but I think you know the verse I mean). One is the small beginnings of our faith, the other is the completion of it so to speak...grown up into the full stature of Christ. John the Baptist said Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit AND with fire. Anyway, just throwing that out there, and am not sure yet how to conceptualize these things, whether this is to be thought of as chronological or a concurrent taking of ground "little by little" and someone can be matured in some areas but not others, or just not sure how to think of it yet. Lots of verses like pieces of the puzzle up in the air. I pray the Lord will give more light on this in time and put the pieces together....a light unto our path.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pray the Lord will give more light on this in time and put the pieces together....a light unto our path.
My hope is that we can explore some of these things in this thread without all the mockery and such. May it be so!!

But I wonder if possibly it can be read on two levels, so to speak....one is the baptism in water and receiving the Holy Spirit, another level is baptism of fire (which also involves the H.S.).
To my understanding baptism by water if something we as gentiles do by tradition. I look at "there is one faith, one baptism . . .", and that baptism being into Christ.

I remember one night many years ago on the floor praying for more power in my life, and asking to be baptized in the Holy Spirit, as I'd heard taught.

The Spirit instructed me to ask my then pastor for prayer, knowing he would lay hands on me to receive that baptism.

I no longer think that way, that there is a subsequent baptism of the Spirit, because of how I understand the Bible now. At the time I did.

That Sunday, I did as I was instructed, and afterward, I felt His power flood through me, I was giddy with joy for some time afterward, knowing my life had just been forever changed. And it was changed!

Since then, though, I've come to see, God's done this more times since, and as the Bible describes, They were filled with the Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness. I've come to see this that we are baptized into Christ, which is also in the Holy Spirit, and in this we are reborn. Afterward, we may have however many fillings of the Spirit.

Why I am considering that is because the Israelites underwent two baptisms....Red Sea was one baptism and Jordan River was another. And there is the scripture that says though you go through the waters they will not overflow you AND when you go through the fire it will not hurt you. (paraphrasing but I think you know the verse I mean). One is the small beginnings of our faith, the other is the completion of it so to speak...grown up into the full stature of Christ. John the Baptist said Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit AND with fire. Anyway, just throwing that out there, and am not sure yet how to conceptualize these things, whether this is to be thought of as chronological or a concurrent taking of ground "little by little" and someone can be matured in some areas but not others, or just not sure how to think of it yet.
These two, Crossing the Red Sea, and Crossing the Jordan, make for good examples of how to read the Bible.

1 Corinthians 10:1-2 KJV
1) Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2) And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

This is named as a type, while I'm not aware of the Jordan Crossing being actually named that way. I think that the things names types apply across the board to all. I think others that aren't named that, or aren't taught that way, we may find them extremely illustrative of aspects within the Christian life, though not necessarily applied to all.

There's an expression I hear some use, "gloriously saved", referring to when God saves someone who is in a very bad way, drug addictions, mental health issues, things like that, and God delivers them completely. Others it seems spend many years getting past these things. I think that we can as it were wander in the wilderness, then have a "crossing the Jordan" moment when we start to 'get it', and start to actually conquer territory in our lives.

But I don't think that if someone has felt near to Christ since being reborn, and has seen victory in their life, I wouldn't go preaching to them that they are missing out because they refuse to recognize they have to first spend time in the wilderness!

If someone has held on Christ in faith, why would I want to split them up?

To me, that's the real key difference, is if we pay attention to the Word - the specific things it says, and we believe them.

My understanding of the Bible is, and my experience in life is, when I remain trusting in my complete reconciliation to God, I'm open to receive from Him the strength to live a new life.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:22-26 KJV
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Romans 8:9-10 KJV
9) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

If the Spirit lives in you, you are in the Spirit.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:22-26 KJV
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Romans 8:9-10 KJV
9) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

If the Spirit lives in you, you are in the Spirit.

Much love!
ephesians has a rock solid writing about the fruit , the VERY FRUIT of the SPIRIT .
Since we know satan can use words like love , joy , peace and etc but twists their versions to suit the sensual wordly version .
SO let us examine something in ephesians that makes it crystal clear .
And the FRUIT of the SPIRIT is in all goodness righteousness and Truth .
PROVING what is ACCEPTABLE TO ...................................drum roll
is it a , the generation at hand
or b , TO GOD ALONE . and sin aint acceptable . SO if our love embraces SIN then it aint OF GOD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the time on deck is as follows ................LORD PRAISING AND THANKING TIME . Let all that has breath praise the glorious Lord

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But I wonder if possibly it can be read on two levels, so to speak....one is the baptism in water and receiving the Holy Spirit, another level is baptism of fire
The context for the "baptism with fire" makes it clear that this is about damnation. It has nothing to do with either John's baptism or the baptism with the Holy Ghost.

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. (Mt 3:10-12).

What is "unquenchable fire" other than the fires of Hell -- the Lake of Fire? "Trees" bringing forth evil fruit (people living in sin and wickedness) are cast into the fire. "Purging" means cleansing. "Chaff" means that which is useless.

This "fire" has been taken out of context and made into something good when it is in fact eternal damnation.

Reactions: Johann

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the flesh is crucified, what still brings us under it's power?
We are to "reckon" ourselves dead to sin and alive unto righteousness. Which means that Christians are expected to believe and affirm that "sin shall NOT have dominion over you". In other words there is no compelling reason for Christians to sin, since the sin nature does not have the power it once had. So it is simply a matter of "walking in the Spirit" rather than focusing on sin and evil.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Much love!
One question--the putting off of the old man, is it a once of event, or process?

Epi's "inner and outer man" is causing a lot of confusion.

All in all, an excellent post.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
My hope is that we can explore some of these things in this thread without all the mockery and such. May it be so!!

To my understanding baptism by water if something we as gentiles do by tradition. I look at "there is one faith, one baptism . . .", and that baptism being into Christ.

I remember one night many years ago on the floor praying for more power in my life, and asking to be baptized in the Holy Spirit, as I'd heard taught.

The Spirit instructed me to ask my then pastor for prayer, knowing he would lay hands on me to receive that baptism.

I no longer think that way, that there is a subsequent baptism of the Spirit, because of how I understand the Bible now. At the time I did.

That Sunday, I did as I was instructed, and afterward, I felt His power flood through me, I was giddy with joy for some time afterward, knowing my life had just been forever changed. And it was changed!

Since then, though, I've come to see, God's done this more times since, and as the Bible describes, They were filled with the Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness. I've come to see this that we are baptized into Christ, which is also in the Holy Spirit, and in this we are reborn. Afterward, we may have however many fillings of the Spirit.

These two, Crossing the Red Sea, and Crossing the Jordan, make for good examples of how to read the Bible.

1 Corinthians 10:1-2 KJV
1) Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2) And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

This is named as a type, while I'm not aware of the Jordan Crossing being actually named that way. I think that the things names types apply across the board to all. I think others that aren't named that, or aren't taught that way, we may find them extremely illustrative of aspects within the Christian life, though not necessarily applied to all.

There's an expression I hear some use, "gloriously saved", referring to when God saves someone who is in a very bad way, drug addictions, mental health issues, things like that, and God delivers them completely. Others it seems spend many years getting past these things. I think that we can as it were wander in the wilderness, then have a "crossing the Jordan" moment when we start to 'get it', and start to actually conquer territory in our lives.

But I don't think that if someone has felt near to Christ since being reborn, and has seen victory in their life, I wouldn't go preaching to them that they are missing out because they refuse to recognize they have to first spend time in the wilderness!

If someone has held on Christ in faith, why would I want to split them up?

To me, that's the real key difference, is if we pay attention to the Word - the specific things it says, and we believe them.

My understanding of the Bible is, and my experience in life is, when I remain trusting in my complete reconciliation to God, I'm open to receive from Him the strength to live a new life.

Much love!
Well said marks

Reactions: Nancy

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One question--the putting off of the old man, is it a once of event, or process?

J.
Positionaly vs practical.

Positionally we have been saved and sanctified. We have been declared Righteous yet we are to practice righteousness. We are Holy yet we are to be holy in all we do.

Practically we are being saved and sanctified. There are past/present aspects to them. Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Sanctification is a process here and a two way street. It is synergistic. God lives in us to do His will as we submit to Him in obedience, denying ourselves, humbling ourselves before the Lord to walk in obedience, walk in the Spirit and not the flesh.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Positionaly vs practical.

Positionally we have been saved and sanctified. We have been declared Righteous yet we are to practice righteousness. We are Holy yet we are to be holy in all we do.

Practically we are being saved and sanctified. There are past/present aspects to them. Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Sanctification is a process here and a two way street. It is synergistic. God lives in us to do His will as we submit to Him in obedience, denying ourselves, humbling ourselves before the Lord to walk in obedience, walk in the Spirit and not the flesh.
In full agreement--yet there are those denying the process in sanctification.

1Co_1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

1Th_4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

1Th_4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

2Th_2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

1Pe_1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

It is the "holy part" I have a battle with--are we AS holy as God is, or are we RECKONED as such

Shalom
J.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In full agreement--yet there are those denying the process in sanctification.

1Co_1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

1Th_4:3 For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

1Th_4:4 That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;

2Th_2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

1Pe_1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

It is the "holy part" I have a battle with--are we AS holy as God is, or are we RECKONED as such

Shalom
J.
If there is no battle, no war, no struggle then the enemy has won. We will be in a battle, a war, a struggle until we experience the redemption of our bodies in the Resurrection. Then and only then will death/sin has lost its sting, its victory- 1 Corinthians chapter 15. Until then we are in a daily battle, a war and God has given us the battle gear to do war as per Ephesians 6. This "higher" life mumbo jumbo self righteous garbage being peddled would have you believe there is no battle, no war, no enemy, no flesh, no old man, no sin, no satan etc.......

Its a FARCE.

• Love
Reactions: Johann and Keturah

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
The passages you provided are talking about the atonement, I don't think they are a reference to crucifying us in any way. More likely they are references with Jesus ability to re-unite us with the Father after the fall of Adam and Eve and our sinful lives broke off that connection.

Last edited:

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

J.
Rom 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world , but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is , his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Is this the same as dying to ones self?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Rom 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world , but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is , his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Is this the same as dying to ones self?

"Self" is the human nature of the Flesh.

When Paul said "i am crucified with Christ"..........see that 'I"......."I AM Crucified"... that is Paul "reckoning the old man dead".. as the "old man is crucified with Christ". And the LIFE that He now lived, was "in Christ", as...>"I can do all things through Christ" "who always gives me the Victory".

See that MIND? That is directly related to the "renewed mind".....as Paul no longer thought or believed that he was anything except a "new CREATION in Christ".

Paul knew that "the body is dead because of sin", and he'll get a new one, and he understood that his mind had to be renewed, and you see Him do it.

Paul understood and teaches that we are a born again Spirit, as the "new Creation", and that is WHO we are.......that God sees.
This is the eternal "Son/Daughter of God".
And that is the truth ....as that is How God sees the born again, all the time, and THAT understanding when kept as your mind, is the renewed mind.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been crucified with Christ. In the Greek perfect tense a completed action

Therefore it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me. Christ is in me. The new man is through and in him via the Holy Spirit

The life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the son of God all life is through faith. Not is self but in God. In all we do. Be it stopping a sin going into danger to serve. Suffering for Christ anything we do is by faith

Anything not done by faith is sin.

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is no battle, no war, no struggle then the enemy has won. We will be in a battle, a war, a struggle until we experience the redemption of our bodies in the Resurrection. Then and only then will death/sin has lost its sting, its victory- 1 Corinthians chapter 15. Until then we are in a daily battle, a war and God has given us the battle gear to do war as per Ephesians 6. This "higher" life mumbo jumbo self righteous garbage being peddled would have you believe there is no battle, no war, no enemy, no flesh, no old man, no sin, no satan etc.......

Its a FARCE.

J.
Luke 9:23
Then he said to them all; whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.
Does this mean dying to the flesh daily?

Reactions: ChristisGod

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Self" is the human nature of the Flesh.

When Paul said "i am crucified with Christ"..........see that 'I"......."I AM Crucified"... that is Paul "reckoning the old man dead".. as the "old man is crucified with Christ". And the LIFE that He now lived, was "in Christ", as...>"I can do all things through Christ" "who always gives me the Victory".

See that MIND? That is directly related to the "renewed mind".....as Paul no longer thought or believed that he was anything except a "new CREATION in Christ".

Paul knew that "the body is dead because of sin", and he'll get a new one, and he understood that his mind had to be renewed, and you see Him do it.

Paul understood and teaches that we are a born again Spirit, as the "new Creation", and that is WHO we are.......that God sees.
This is the eternal "Son/Daughter of God".
And that is the truth ....as that is How God sees the born again, all the time, and THAT understanding when kept as your mind, is the renewed mind.
Doesn't sin always start with a thought?

Reactions: ChristisGod