The Da Vinci Code - Let's Discuss It

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless you've been living in a cave, odds are that you've at least heard about the new book written by author Dan Brown. This book has comfortably resided on the NY Times Best-Seller List for a very long time. Now, the book has been made into a movie, starring Tom Hanks, that comes out on May 19th.In a nutshell, the book alledges that much of (if not all) of Christianity is a hoax and that the story of Christ is not true. It's all part of a huge conspiracy kept going for centuries in a story that would make any conspiracy theorist green with envy.The problem, however, is that this book denies the divinity of Christ and the entire existence of God for that matter. Although written as fiction, it presents itself as a fictional plot developed with nonfictional facts.Here are some helpful website links:http://www.leaderu.com/popculture/dismantlingdavinci.htmlhttp://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=Pe...PerspectiveID=4There are more websites out there and we invite you to share them with us.There's no doubt that Dan Brown is a gifted individual who can write a very intense and intriguing storyline. I think this is what has made the book so popular. The problem lies in the content of the story.So the debate centers around the biggest points...1) Should Christians read and/or watch The Da Vinci Code?2) What makes The Da Vinci Code so dangerous, if it is really dangerous?3) What lies are told in the book - is the book historically accurate?I'd love to hear your thoughts on the topic and I'll be happy to share mine. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure if I plan to read the book but it's something I've been mulling over for some time. Should we rely on our faith in order to teach or should we take things into our own hands in a ways by reading the book?I cannot help but think of the verse:Mark 13:11"But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost."I realize that this verse comes in one of the teachings of Jesus about the latter days but I think this whole Da Vinci Code idea is one of these trials. It's of the utmost importance that we surrender ourselves to the Holy Spirit and let God do the talking through us. There are those around us who need to hear the Word of God and this is our chance.I'll end my post with these last thoughts...I John 2:18"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time."I John 2:22"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son."I John 4:3"And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."II John 1:7"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist."

gibby

Apr 4, 2006
Frankly, I have no interest in reading the book. I feel it would be a huge waste of time. I don't think it would be wrong to read it as a Christian if your motive was to see what it was about and to know how to answer the questions is will most likely raise from its readers. I probably won't have any interest in the movie either. I really don't feel like I am missing out on anything. I skipped going to see Brokeback Mountain and I am fine with that too.

Knight of Solomon

May 6, 2006
Whats so wrong with the Possibility that Jesus was married and fathered a child? There might not be any proof that Jesus was in fact married, but there isn't any proof against it either... What REAL difference would it make to your daily life's if christ was married and a father? Wouldn't it make you be able to relate more to Jesus?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whats so wrong with the Possibility that Jesus was married and fathered a child? There might not be any proof that Jesus was in fact married, but there isn't any proof against it either... What REAL difference would it make to your daily life's if christ was married and a father? Wouldn't it make you be able to relate more to Jesus?
It would deny the divinity of Jesus the Christ, that's the problem with it. That's about a big of problem as you can get.

Knight of Solomon

May 6, 2006
But it was the Council of Nicacea that gave Christ his Divinity. They declared him the son of God, 400 odd years after Jesus died.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ declared his own divinity long before any council of man. In fact, Christ was hinted at since the very beginning of man. The Old Testament even attests to his divinity long before Christ's coming. The Council of Nicacea gave Christ nothing. It's intended purpose was to explain the nature of Christ's divinity - what was the stuff he was made of, basically.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I heard on T.V. yesterday the the book ,about the secret society, that the author claims to have based his book on, was not as aniceit as he claims a researcher that traveled to France says it was written in 1956 as opposed to the authors claim that it was written in 1099

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well that's the thing, this entire book is based upon speculation by a single man on legends, a coptic scroll found out in the middle of Egypt, and some suspicious documents at best. Those who accept this work of fiction as somehow being derived from fact do so because they want to believe it in the first place.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I heard a good one yesterday "Those who beleive in Nothing will believe in Anything"

Knight of Solomon

May 6, 2006
(kriss)
I heard on T.V. yesterday the the book ,about the secret society, that the author claims to have based his book on, was not as aniceit as he claims a researcher that traveled to France says it was written in 1956 as opposed to the authors claim that it was written in 1099
I think you are refering to the Priory of Sion..?And yes, this society looks as if it was a fabrication. But the 'Knights of the Temple of Solomon' are not. And I am SURE that 'objects of huge significance' were uncovered from the ruins of Solomons Temple by the Templars. Objects that will in time become known to the world, and finally dispell the lies that the catholic church has built itself upon!I'm not saying that the Da Vinci Code is a factual book, but many of it's topics come close to the wire.

Bope

Apr 13, 2006
The Da Vinci Code is fiction. I do not know why so many people are taking it so seriously.

graceforums

Apr 26, 2006
(Bope)
The Da Vinci Code is fiction. I do not know why so many people are taking it so seriously.
Dan Brown claims much of its content to be factual, including the regurgitation of the gnostic doctrines concerning Jesus and lies and half-truths about things like how the New Testament canon was established... it's old heresy in new clothes but many people are being duped by these recycled lies.:study: Be ready always to give an answer...

Word of God

May 30, 2006
I boycotted it myself. It is a delibrate attack on the truth inorder to make money and many maybe misguide by it. I will not use the blessings God has given me to support such trash. :naughty:

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough Word of God.7cworldwide hit the nail on the head. I've read enough of the book to be able to offer an educated opinion on it. Keep in mind that I am an English major as well so that does give me an edge on it.Most importantly, the book is clearly written by someone out to make a point. It opens with the presentation of "facts" that set the stage for the fiction you're about to read to become "fact" (at least, in the author's eyes). Anyone can write what amounts to a conspiracy theory, but this guy is trying to base it all on what he claims to be facts which are suspect at best. The documents he opens with in his list of facts is almost undeniably proven to be no more than a hundred years old and most likely a forgery. Brown does this in order to make you question and when you read the book you'll want to (hypothetically) say this could be similar to the truth. I must argue that for someone to do this probably means they weren't much of a Christian in the first place, but God will do the judging and not me.

SilentFlight

Aug 13, 2006
(Knight of Solomon;446)
I agree, why would it mean he was mortal or any less?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, why would it mean he was mortal or any less?
Jesus did come in the flesh.However, it would mean Jesus as we know him doesn't exist, for one. It throws a wrench in the whole idea that Jesus was perfect because this would have been a sin. If you deny that, then you deny the divinity of Christ and you have no place in Christianity. I know that sounds cold, and a lot of people aren't going to like it, but it's true.In effect, you're saying that God came to earth and had sex with a women.Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.Hebrews 5:9And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Dad of 3

Sep 17, 2006
I'm going to read it after my wife is done, but I'm not prepared to put any stock in it; I just want to see what the controversy is about. Just because Mr. Brown says it's factual doesn't make it so. Mormons are taught that Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus in the grove (or God and angels, or Jesus and angels, or God an another unnamed being, depending one what version you believe), but that doesn't make it so. Another thing to consider is that fact that the book, as I understand, also assumes that Catholicism is correct, which, as far as I am concerned, immediately negates any claims made by the author. I think Mr. Brown is simply stating that there's an element of truth to the book just to create press for it and thus generate sales for himself. I think that Christians, whether they're inclined to read the book or not, shouldn't waste their time fighting it; there are more important thingsto consider.

Greatest I Am

Jan 7, 2007
Like publicity for a star, good or bad, all publicity is good.Da Vinci Code is a good read. It's content, like any other literature, must be viewed as fiction. If that information happens to apply to reality, all the better. If it is non reality, it is up to us to know the difference.Only study can help us tell the difference and this book pushes us to do just thst. God is good. I hpoe many more books of this genre are in our future.RegardsDL