The Death Of Christ Proclaimed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Years ago a teaching that Jesus didn't really die was being given some prominence, but at the time I wasn't having any of it and I'm still not having any of it. The Scriptures are profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness, that the person of God may be thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17, ) so here are a few headings and reference verses that help us proclaim the death of Christ in the celebration of the Lord's Supper, or Communion as it is known.

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till he come.

1. The Death of Christ is Real: as planned by God (1 Peter 1:18-21, Revelation 13:8, ), as pictured and prophesied (Isaiah 53:8-9,), as our passover (1 Corinthians 5:7, ), as payment by God at His own expense, forgiving the debt ( Matthew 20:28, Acts of the Apostles 20:28, 1 Corinthians 6:20,)

2. The Death of Christ is Voluntary: as submitted to by Him (John 10:17-18, Luke 22:42, Philippians 2:6-8, )

3. The Death of Christ is Sufficient: to deliver, reconcile, cleanse, and fill sinners with hope (John 19:30, Colossians 2:8-10, )

4. The Death of Christ is Dynamic: because it leads to the death of death's curse, power, and dominion (Isaiah 25:8, Acts of the Apostles 2:22-24, 1 Corinthians 15:54-57, Colossians 2:11-15, Hebrews 2:14-15, Revelation 1:17-18, 20:14, 21:14, )

If the death of Christ is not a real death then no real payment for sin has been made, and the types and shadows of Old Testament sacrifices have not been fulfilled.

If the death of Christ is not voluntary then it is not an obedient act of love.

If the death of Christ is not sufficient then there is more work to be done.

If the death of Christ is not dynamic then him who has the power of death is not destroyed, that is - the devil, and death is not swallowed up in victory.

Better to proclaim all these aspects of Christ's death than deny them...

I hope some find this material from my study notes helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Enoch111

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What was the teaching based on, don’t think I have ever heard any teaching denying His death.

Reactions: Wrangler

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
1. The Death of Christ is Real:
What was the teaching based on, don’t think I have ever heard any teaching denying His death.
Basically it is an old heresy that Christ didn't really die, was just unconscious or something because God is eternal and omnipresent and cannot die, but the rather obvious flaw is that it was the purpose of the incarnation of God in the form of Jesus the man to die IN THE FLESH. The late Derek Prince was pushing the "Jesus didn't really die" error, plus some heretics in our land and ekklesias.

Rom 8:3-4 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, (4) that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy