The death of Judas Iscariot!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Matthew 27:3 - Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,Matthew 27:4 - Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.Matthew 27:5 - And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself....Acts 1:16 - Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.Acts 1:17 - For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.Acts 1:18 - Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Awe the mystery of Judas was he murdered ? or hanged himself ? the difference in Matthew and Acts descriptions has been a subject of debate for centuries. Some commentaries speculate the rope must have broke some say the branch had to break. Remember there are no major contradictions in Gods Word, so how do you reconcile these verse'sIn this generation of Crime Scene Investigations can you look at the evidence closely whats your conclusion? Lets consider a couple things here first the English isn't very explicit he was literally split open from throat to groinLaid forward and all his intestines (guts fell out)Some questions and things to think about.How high would the branch have to be to cause this splitting open if it just broke?And if you think that's the answer how would he have gotten up that high?Same with the Rope how high would the rope have to have been tied?If you find neither of these are possible how did he slit himself open then hang himself?If he just hung himself how did he get split open and fall forward Secondly on a spiritual side he was a loved apostle that was chosen,taught and walked with Christ(Acts 1:17) surely he would have understood the Law and understood suicide was murder and a sin ... he repented for his sin of shedding innocent blood and was obviously grieved about it he gave back the silver God used Judas's weakness to bring about what had to be done,So would he have repented and then turned around and commited suicide dieing in sin by killing himself?? Can you solve the mystery? Whats your opinion? did he kill himself or was he murdered by those Sadducees and Pharisee's priests that wanted the trouble maker Christ and all the apostles dead?

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
No matter what "hanged himself" means- it still is as clear as day that Judas committed a deliberate act- resulting in death. As for- "Repenting himself"....come on guys- you cant repent yourself. You also cant relate this to the way Peter handled his grief/guilt. No matter what the hanging part means- Judas still found a way to have his life ended.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Red_Letters88;57636)
No matter what "hanged himself" means- it still is as clear as day that Judas committed a deliberate act- resulting in death. As for- "Repenting himself"....come on guys- you cant repent yourself. You also cant relate this to the way Peter handled his grief/guilt. No matter what the hanging part means- Judas still found a way to have his life ended.
So you ignored what the bible says which Judas Iscariot says and the chief priest says. And yes we can repent... otherwise Christ wouldn't be saying I am not come to call righteous, but sinners to repentance in Matthew 9:13, Mark 2:17, Luke 5:32 and II Peter 3:9.
smile.gif

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(Red_Letters88;57636)
..."hanged himself" ....
"hanged himself" in the Greek can also have the meaning of "choked with grief." I do not believe Judas thought that Christ would be killed as the result of his actions. I also believe he will be one of the 24 elders surrounding the Throne in Heaven.

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
(thesuperjag;57638)
So you ignored what the bible says which Judas Iscariot says and the chief priest says. And yes we can repent... otherwise Christ wouldn't be saying I am not come to call righteous, but sinners to repentance in Matthew 9:13, Mark 2:17, Luke 5:32 and II Peter 3:9.
smile.gif

No Jag, YOU ignored the bible- It says he went out and HANGED himself- resulting in his death. It was obvious that he was carrying much guilt- because of the fact that he tried to give the money back- he was desperate. The whole- "well thats not what it means in the greek junk- is junk. Its clear as day that Judas was the mastermind behind his death. Plain and simple- He let guilt drive him to hang himself.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
correct Tom when we consider that the word aphgxato, which we translate hanged himself, is by the very best critics thus rendered, was choked,strangled Or was strangled-aphgxato. Some eminent critics believe that he was only suffocating with excessive grief.

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
(kriss;57658)
correct Tom when we consider that the word aphgxato, which we translate hanged himself, is by the very best critics thus rendered, was choked,strangled Or was strangled-aphgxato. Some eminent critics believe that he was only suffocating with excessive grief.
Right....Jesus said Woe to the one that betrays him, It would have been better that he wasnt born. But no you guys are probably right- Jesus was over exaggerating. Judas had a little grief spell- then he somehow later died of unknown causes. Sheesh- read whats there- Satan possessed him- he was always the greedy one- his place was to be taken after his death- but for some reason- you guys still want to claim "he was innocent!"....more or lessBtw, check out in Esther- what "hanging meant"- It was a public display of the corpse on a spear or pole- sometimes this was also done to actuallly cause the death- not just display it after.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Red the Word aphgxato means what it means it does not prove he hung himself the only proof we have is a poor English translation. That is disputed in Acts.I do not think he was innocent. I think he repented and was greatly grieved for his actions.I also think God used his weakness to accomplish what needed to be done.I just dispute his suicide, I think he was either murdered or died of some Intestinal dieasethat was aggravated by his grief and he burst open

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Red_Letters;57657)
(thesuperjag;57638)
smile.gif

No Jag, YOU ignored the bible- It says he went out and HANGED himself- resulting in his death. It was obvious that he was carrying much guilt- because of the fact that he tried to give the money back- he was desperate. The whole- "well thats not what it means in the greek junk- is junk. Its clear as day that Judas was the mastermind behind his death. Plain and simple- He let guilt drive him to hang himself.You know very well I love you so much too Brother Brandon, but do I have to remind you that the Bible was not written in English? It was written in Hebrew (OT) and Greek (NT) Every single humans makes mistakes. Even the translators of the KJV that did the translations. So you won't find another sinless person... Now don't get me started with the modern bibles...(Red_Letters88;57659)
(Kriss;57658)
Right....Jesus said Woe to the one that betrays him, It would have been better that he wasnt born. But no you guys are probably right- Jesus was over exaggerating. Judas had a little grief spell- then he somehow later died of unknown causes. Sheesh- read whats there- Satan possessed him- he was always the greedy one- his place was to be taken after his death- but for some reason- you guys still want to claim "he was innocent!"....more or lessEverybody has been processed by Satan (excluding Christ) at least once in their life time, but it doesn't stop us from REPENTING our sins to Yeshua / Jesus our Lord and Saviour of the world if we rely on Him.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Judas-when he saw that he was condemned, repented] There is much of the wisdom and goodness of God to be seen in this part of Judas's conduct. Had our Lord been condemned to death on the evidence of one of his own disciples, it would have furnished infidels with a strong argument against Christ and the Christian religion. "One of his own disciples, knowing the whole imposture, declared it to the Jewish rulers, in consequence of which he was put to death as an impostor and deceiver." But the traitor, being stung with remorse, came and acknowledged his crime, and solemnly declared the innocence of his Master, threw back the money which they gave him to induce him to do this villainous act; and, to establish the evidence which he now gave against them and himself, in behalf of the innocence of Christ, hanged himself, or died through excessive grief and contrition. Thus the character of Christ was rescued from all reproach; infidelity deprived of the power to cry "imposture!" and the Jewish rulers overwhelmed with eternal infamy. If it should ever be said, "One who knew him best delivered him up as an impostor,"-to this it may be immediately answered, "The same person, struck with remorse, came and declared his own guilt, and Christ's innocence; accused and convicted the Jewish rulers, in the open council, of having hired him to do this iniquitous action, threw them back the bribe they had given himON the death of Judas there is a great diversity of opinion among learned men and divines. 1. It is supposed, following the bare letter of the text, that Judas hanged himself, and that, the rope breaking, he fell down, was burst with the fall, and thus his bowels gushed out. 2. That, having hanged himself, he was thrown on the dunghill, and, the carcass becoming putrid, the abdomen, which soonest yields to putrefaction burst, and the bowels were thus shed from the body, and possibly torn out by dogs. 3. That, being filled with horror and despair, he went to the top of the house, or to some eminences and threw himself down; and thus, failing headlong, his body was broken by the fall, and his bowels gushed out. 4. That Satan, having entered into him, caught him up in the air, and thence precipitated him to the earth; and thus, his body being broken to pieces, his bowels gushed out. This is Dr. Lightfoot's opinion, and has been noticed on Matt. xxvii. 5. 5. Others think that he died or was suffocated through excessive grief; and that thus the terms in the text, and in Matt. xxvii. 5, are to be understood. The late Mr. Wakefield defends this meaning with great learning and ingenuity. 6. Others suppose the expressions to be figurative: Judas having been highly exalted, in being an apostle, and even the purse-bearer to his Lord and brother disciples, by his treason forfeited this honour, and is represented as falling from a state of the highest dignity into the lowest infamy, and then dying through excessive grief. The Rev. John Jones, in his Illustrations of the four Gospels, sums up this opinion thus: "So sensible became the traitor of the distinguished rank which he forfeited, and of the deep disgrace into which he precipitated himself, by betraying his Master, that he was seized with such violent grief as occasioned the rupture of his bowels, and ended in suffocation and death." P. 571CLARKE'S COMMENTARY

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(Red_Letters88;57659)
....Btw, check out in Esther- what "hanging meant"- It was a public display of the corpse on a spear or pole- sometimes this was also done to actuallly cause the death- not just display it after.
I might be wrong
rolleyes.gif
but I don't think the Roman Army did the hanging in Esther's day.And this statement, "The whole- "well thats not what it means in the greek junk- is junk."
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
You who know me pretty well- know my intent is not to call anyone a liar or twister of scripture. I hesitated to even answer/respond to this thread cause I know things can get ugly and go nowhere. I still have to say though- From what the bible gives me in the language I speak- I see Jesus labeling the traitor- as someone who should have never been born. I see he was possessed by satan- then after seeing what had been done through him- he felt the guilt. I will not argue if he received repentance or not- because quite frankly none of us have the true power of repentance. When I read of a death of a man- following a flood of guilt- I take this to mean- he let it get the best of him. You know I love you guys- and these kinda posts that dont go anywhere except for interpretation can give us a bad name/ or distract us from sharing the elemental truths of Gods love and salvation. Im done with this thread.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
To me it is simple. Judas hung himself. After decay set in, and the rope (or his body) gave way, and his entrails were spilled below.
"Decomposition in the air is twice as fast as when the body is under water and four times as fast as underground. Corpses are preserved longer when buried deeper, as long as the ground isn't waterlogged.The intestines are packed with millions of micro-organisms that don't die with the person. These organisms start to break down the dead cells of the intestines, while some, especially bacteria called clostridia and coliforms, start to invade other parts of the body.At the same time the body undergoes its own intrinsic breakdown under the action of enzymes and other chemicals which have been released by the dead cells. The pancreas, for example, is usually packed with digestive enzymes, and so rapidly digests itself. The decomposing tissues release green substances and gas, which make the skin green/blue and blistered, starting on the abdomen. The front of the body swells, the tongue may protrude, and fluid from the lungs oozes out of the mouth and nostrils"... http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/116600
Judas hung himself, and after decay set in, at some point he "fell headlong" and burst open.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(treeoflife;57699)
To me it is simple. Judas hung himself. After decay set in, and the rope (or his body) gave way, and his entrails were spilled below.....
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(tomwebster;57709)
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness
Sorry, but lol. If that was honestly directed at me or what I said... wow. Just wow.First read the chapter in 2 Th 2:12-13 that you used, get the context since it is completely out of context.Second, there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ the conclusion I have drawn. It is the same conclusion many have made, given that he hung himself, and the conclusion in Acts follows. Get over yourself.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(treeoflife;57713)
(tomwebster;57709)
Sorry, but lol. If that was honestly directed at me or what I said... wow. Just wow.First read the chapter in 2 Th 2:12-13 that you used, get the context since it is completely out of context.Second, there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ the conclusion I have drawn. It is the same conclusion many have made, given that he hung himself, and the conclusion in Acts follows. Get over yourselfYou have no idea what you are talking about. It seems to me that you also ignored Judas REPENTED HIMSELF... and the nasty words from the cheif priest...Hey, your choice, believe whatever you want to believe...

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(thesuperjag;57723)
You have no idea what you are talking about. It seems to me that you also ignored Judas REPENTED HIMSELF... and the nasty words from the cheif priest...Hey, your choice, believe whatever you want to believe...
I believe what I read in God's Word. I know exactly what I am talking about. Judas hung himself. Read it. I will believe whatever the Lord has revealed and confirmed in scripture. I've ignored nothing.It is clear to me that you are still a very young Christian, but you need to get a grip on making blind accusations and empty judgments. You are the one who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.