THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PETER AND PAUL ON THE RESURRECTION

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference in the gospels preached by Peter and Paul.

It is evident by the preaching of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Below, Peter was speaking;

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

According to Peter, Christ was raised to sit on the throne of David in the coming earthly kingdom.

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

According to Paul's gospel above, Christ died for our sins; as our substitute; to satisfy and appease the wrath, justice, and righteousness of God.

The cross of Jesus Christ provided our atonement.

He was buried.

He rose again for our justification.

This is the gospel we are to believe and trust alone for our salvation and eternal life.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, Addressing the OP, good topic.

the scriptures states that they both preached the same thing.
Acts 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
Acts 2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Christ here is the redeemer, the Saviour, that died for our sins and rose unto our Justification. it's the Greek word,
G5547 Χριστός Christos (chriy-stos') n/p.
1. (literally) Anointed, a man anointed with oil (for a set purpose).
2. (properly) the Messiah, the Anointed-One of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
3. (transliterated) “Christ” (anglicized), “Christos” (from Greek).
4. (by function) the (kinsman) Redeemer, the Savior.
5. (by identity) Jesus, Yeshua, Ἰησοῦς , יְהוֹשׁוּעַ ,יְהוֹשֻׁעַ.
[from G5548]
KJV: Christ

the redeemer, the Saviour sheded his blood, which the apostle Peter preached, supportive scripture,
1Pet 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pet 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pet 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
1Pet 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

so the apostle Peter and Paul preached the same gospel.

Foot Note: the one who actually sits on David throne is the LORD, all caps, God himself, the one whom many calls the "Father". supportive scripture,
Ps 132:11 The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David; he will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.

clearly the Christ is God almighty shared in flesh. for he said, "I" and "I" is singular, and one knows what that means.........

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

According to Peter, Christ was raised to sit on the throne of David in the coming earthly kingdom.

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

According to Paul's gospel above, Christ died for our sins; as our substitute; to satisfy and appease the wrath, justice, and righteousness of God.

He was buried.

This is the gospel we are to believe and trust alone for our salvation and eternal life.
Why should what Paul and Peter taught be regarded as contradicting each other? :confused:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why should what Paul and Peter taught be regarded as contradicting each other? :confused:

Because one was a man of the law man and one a man of grace .
But Peter got the vision of grace from God and the inclusion of gentiles on the roof top.

Galatians 2:11-14

11 "But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? "

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Because one was a man of the law man and one a man of grace .
But Peter got the vision of grace from God and the inclusion of gentiles on the roof top.

Galatians 2:11-14

11 "But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? "
Peter's preaching at Pentecost - quoted in Acts 2 by the OP - was mighty and not contradicting the essential preaching of Paul; this was my point.

Reactions: ScottA

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see complementary, not contradictory.

Christ will sit on the throne of David during the MK. He will sit on the throne of God.

He resurrected and gave his blood for our salvation via grace.

So what is the difference, Paul was a Pharisee. Peter was a fisherman.

Different backgrounds give different approaches to the same subjects.

I guarantee you having worked in Naval intelligence I see things in federal news differently than you.

Holding two elected offices and being a state arbitrator also makes me look at the issues differently than you do.

But being different is it bad. It brings more experience and thinking to the table that does just one approach.

Reactions: Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He was buried.

The two statements are not in conflict, but simply address different aspects of the gospel.

You have also misquoted Peter (which I have highlighted in red). Peter did not say anything about a "coming earthly kingdom." You apparently assumed that is what he meant...and have added it. On the contrary, what Peter was testifying to, was that David's prophecy had been fulfilled, that Christ had indeed come "in the flesh" (and they crucified Him) 1 John 4:2.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is perfectly true, but will only happen AFTER the Second Coming of Christ. And if you wish to be perfectly precise, David will sit on his throne under Christ, but the throne of David belongs rightfully to Christ as Messiah/King descended from David. Ezekiel tells us that it is David who will be prince over redeemed and restored Israel, but Christ will be King of kings and Lord of lords.
There is absolutely NO CONFLICT in this. Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, but He will return to earth as King of kings and Lord of lords. Study Revelation 19 and all the connected prophecies.

Christians should not start adopting one-sided views of Christ, or spiritualizing His Second Coming. The Lamb of God is also the Lion of the tribe of Judah. Reconcile that if you will.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
D

Dave L

He was buried.

According to Peter Christ's resurrection placed him on David's throne in heavenly Jerusalem.

“Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.” (Acts 2:30–31) (KJV 1900)

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The two statements are not in conflict, but simply address different aspects of the gospel.

You have also misquoted Peter (which I have highlighted in red). Peter did not say anything about a "coming earthly kingdom." You apparently assumed that is what he meant...and have added it. On the contrary, what Peter was testifying to, was that David's prophecy had been fulfilled, that Christ had indeed come "in the flesh" (and they crucified Him) 1 John 4:2.

At the second coming Christ will rule from Jerusalem in MK with a rod of iron.

It is also prophesied here

Ezekiel 21:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 A ruin! A ruin! I will make it a ruin! The crown will not be restored until he to whom it rightfully belongs shall come; to him I will give it.’

Jeremiah 23:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
5 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will raise up for Davida]">[a] a righteous Branch,
a King who will reign wisely
and do what is just and right in the land.
6 In his days Judah will be saved
and Israel will live in safety.
This is the name by which he will be called:
The Lord Our Righteous Savior.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
According to Peter Christ's resurrection placed him on David's throne in heavenly Jerusalem.
David's throne is NOT in Heaven. The throne of God and the throne of Christ cannot possibly be placed on the same level as the throne of David. Hence we have this Scripture: For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool. (Acts 2:34,35)

D

Dave L

David's throne is NOT in Heaven. The throne of God and the throne of Christ cannot possibly be placed on the same level as the throne of David. Hence we have this Scripture: For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Until I make thy foes thy footstool. (Acts 2:34,35)
David's Throne = God's Throne

“Then sat Solomon upon the throne of David his father; and his kingdom was established greatly.” 1 Kings 2:12 (KJV 1900)

“Then Solomon sat on the throne of the LORD as king instead of David his father, and prospered; and all Israel obeyed him.” 1 Chronicles 29:23 (KJV 1900)

“To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.” Revelation 3:21 (KJV 1900)

“And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.” 1 Chronicles 28:5 (KJV 1900)

“Blessed be the LORD thy God, which delighted in thee to set thee on his throne, to be king for the LORD thy God: because thy God loved Israel, to establish them for ever, therefore made he thee king over them, to do judgment and justice.” 2 Chronicles 9:8 (KJV 1900)

“And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:” Revelation 22:1–3 (KJV 1900)

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.” (Acts 2:30–31) (KJV 1900)

Does not say that
Acts 2:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay.

D

Dave L

Does not say that
Acts 2:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
30 But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31 Seeing what was to come, he spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay.
Christ's resurrection placed him on David's throne even in the NIV.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the second coming Christ will rule from Jerusalem in MK with a rod of iron.

It is also prophesied here

Ezekiel 21:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 A ruin! A ruin! I will make it a ruin! The crown will not be restored until he to whom it rightfully belongs shall come; to him I will give it.’

Jeremiah 23:5-6 New International Version (NIV)
5 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will raise up for Davida]">[a] a righteous Branch,
a King who will reign wisely
and do what is just and right in the land.
6 In his days Judah will be saved
and Israel will live in safety.
This is the name by which he will be called:
The Lord Our Righteous Savior.
Just as it has been since that time when He overcame the world.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is perfectly true, but will only happen AFTER the Second Coming of Christ. And if you wish to be perfectly precise, David will sit on his throne under Christ, but the throne of David belongs rightfully to Christ as Messiah/King descended from David. Ezekiel tells us that it is David who will be prince over redeemed and restored Israel, but Christ will be King of kings and Lord of lords.

There is absolutely NO CONFLICT in this. Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, but He will return to earth as King of kings and Lord of lords. Study Revelation 19 and all the connected prophecies.

Christians should not start adopting one-sided views of Christ, or spiritualizing His Second Coming. The Lamb of God is also the Lion of the tribe of Judah. Reconcile that if you will.

It does not say David will be on the throne anywhere. But I agree with the rest of what you said.

D

Dave L

But not at the resurrection and not in heaven.
Paul says he must reign until he destroys the last enemy - death. This happens at the resurrection on the last day.
“For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” (1 Corinthians 15:25–26) (KJV 1900)

But only the born again can see the kingdom, ever present since Jesus walked the earth.