The Field Guide for Volatile Topics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
http://dashhouse.com/2012/07/22/field-guide-for-volatile-topics

• Not all topics are equal. You can swing at some subjects with a big stick and nobody will care. Other topics require delicate treatment. Learn finesse.
  • If you can be misunderstood, you will be misunderstood. Expect that what you say will be taken out of context. Don't be surprised.
  • Be aware of stereotypes. Know how people will misconstrue your position, and don't reenforce their mistaken beliefs. If you're Canadian, for instance, don't talk about beavers and wear a Mountie hat. If you're complementarian, don't say anything that could remotely be taken as chauvinist. Some people will build straw men; be careful not to hand them straw.
  • Know that you belong to a camp. Some people hate that camp and are waiting for you to say something stupid. Speak accordingly.
  • Being a nice guy doesn't count. Your mother, wife, kids, and dog love you; this won't count much for those you offend.
  • Show grace to those who criticize you. They won't always deserve it, but neither do you. Show grace anyways.

There are two more, but it's really a blog post worth bookmarking.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that we should not be surprised if people disagree with us - especially if we have a minority position, but the OP sounds as if it is the poster's fault if they are verbally abused by others. I don't think it is right to trash a person, even if they do step in it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I like the guidelines! A person should expect to be mis-understood. Grace is always welcome!!!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, I think the emphasis is more on treating it like you will be flamed hypothetically unless you say it correctly. If everyone approached their posts with that much grace, then I think there would be fewer knockdown dragout threads around here.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I don't mind communicating with folks who have a different point of view ..... but there are very few on this forum who can state their position in their own words.

If you removed their copy and paste very little would be left. If you removed the endless pages of quoted scriptures , very little would be left.

In other words .... no real discussion has taken place. Throwing endless pages of scripture back and forth is not discussion. It takes up a huge amount of space and comes across as a preacher on a podium shouting a doctrinal statement ....

On the other hand .... the posting style of someone like aspen2 leads to excellent discussion . He tends to use his own words to explain his position and beliefs , he understands true communication on a discussion forum. It is a worthwhile exercise to read his posts and observe his style.

By the way , I have no personal affiliation with aspen2 , nor do I always agree with what he says , but I certainly hold him up as an example of someone who is worthy and capable of good discussion and debate . We need more of it here. I am trying my best to improve as well.

thanks.
Arnie

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen, I think the emphasis is more on treating it like you will be flamed hypothetically unless you say it correctly. If everyone approached their posts with that much grace, then I think there would be fewer knockdown dragout threads around here.

Yeah, you are right.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[size="+1"]"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires". - William Arthur Ward[/size]