The fiery passion is back

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you've been a Christian for very long, you can think back to the time when you first accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.

I was in high school when I found Jesus and I remember all I wanted to do was love on people and help others. I wanted to give up my lunch to feed other students. I stopped seeing cliques and started seeing people made in God's image.

I wanted to be a missionary in some impoverished foreign country and raise orphans. I wanted to do big things for God because I was so grateful for his grace toward me. I didn't deserve to know about Jesus. I thought I was too smart for him before

But God showed me His love was perfect and that He loved me despite how prideful I had been.

In the beginning of my walk, all I cared about was showing the love God had poured into my heart. I wanted to honor Him and care for the poor.

But what happens after that initial fiery passion? Others tell you to dial it back. They mock you for wanting to feed orphans and insist you go to college and focus on your status in the world whether you're called to attend college or not. (Now I have a degree I dont use).

Ministers, preachers, and radio pastors tell you that sin is this inescapable, inevitable thing even for believers. So why bother trying to stop?

I never stopped loving Jesus but I struggled with sin and rationalized it untill the fire was gone. I no longer felt compelled to serve and love the same way.

I had preachers who convicted and preachers that soothed my guilt. They said conflicting things, so I had different ones depending on what mood I was in. I depended on them for truth instead of the Bible. This turned out to be a horrible mistake.

I got married and at first, it was a disaster. I was so hurt but I couldn't see my part in it, that I was too focused on myself. Sin mopped the floor up with me and got worse until I finally saw ugliness I had allowed in my own soul. I had to apologize to my husband and start over.

It was Ezekiel that convinced me that it wasn't too late for me and that I could start over. If we practice righteousness today, we will be saved.

I read Galatians 5 and couldn't see the fruit of the Spirit in my life. How could this be? I had been a Christian for years. But I submit to you that I had allowed the fire I initially had to be dulled by the cares of this world and by false teaching.

It was only when I began reading the Word of God for myself that I began to experience love, joy, peace, and the fruit of the Spirit once more. I stopped believing the theologians and preachers. My conclusion from reading the Bible was, "every sin must go."

My marriage turned into an incredible blessing because my husband forgave me and God helped me change. I unlearned and am still unlearning many things that Ive heard from theologians, pastors, and other Christians, using the Bible as a test and guide.

Lies can dull our fire but the truth sets us free. The fire that I once had to love and give and serve with all of my heart is back. That high school girl who wanted to serve Jesus with all her heart is still me, still able to fight and kick thanks to God's incredible ability to lead us into all truth.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But what happens after that initial fiery passion? Others tell you to dial it back. They mock you for wanting to feed orphans and insist you go to college and focus on your status in the world whether you're called to attend college or not. (Now I have a degree I dont use)."

You chose rightly sister :)

:joyful::Happy::Agreed::pray:

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Wynona

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you've been a Christian for very long, you can think back to the time when you first accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.

I was in high school when I found Jesus and I remember all I wanted to do was love on people and help others. I wanted to give up my lunch to feed other students. I stopped seeing cliques and started seeing people made in God's image.

I wanted to be a missionary in some impoverished foreign country and raise orphans. I wanted to do big things for God because I was so grateful for his grace toward me. I didn't deserve to know about Jesus. I thought I was too smart for him before

But God showed me His love was perfect and that He loved me despite how prideful I had been.

In the beginning of my walk, all I cared about was showing the love God had poured into my heart. I wanted to honor Him and care for the poor.

But what happens after that initial fiery passion? Others tell you to dial it back. They mock you for wanting to feed orphans and insist you go to college and focus on your status in the world whether you're called to attend college or not. (Now I have a degree I dont use).

Ministers, preachers, and radio pastors tell you that sin is this inescapable, inevitable thing even for believers. So why bother trying to stop?

I never stopped loving Jesus but I struggled with sin and rationalized it untill the fire was gone. I no longer felt compelled to serve and love the same way.

I had preachers who convicted and preachers that soothed my guilt. They said conflicting things, so I had different ones depending on what mood I was in. I depended on them for truth instead of the Bible. This turned out to be a horrible mistake.

I got married and at first, it was a disaster. I was so hurt but I couldn't see my part in it, that I was too focused on myself. Sin mopped the floor up with me and got worse until I finally saw ugliness I had allowed in my own soul. I had to apologize to my husband and start over.

It was Ezekiel that convinced me that it wasn't too late for me and that I could start over. If we practice righteousness today, we will be saved.

I read Galatians 5 and couldn't see the fruit of the Spirit in my life. How could this be? I had been a Christian for years. But I submit to you that I had allowed the fire I initially had to be dulled by the cares of this world and by false teaching.

It was only when I began reading the Word of God for myself that I began to experience love, joy, peace, and the fruit of the Spirit once more. I stopped believing the theologians and preachers. My conclusion from reading the Bible was, "every sin must go."

My marriage turned into an incredible blessing because my husband forgave me and God helped me change. I unlearned and am still unlearning many things that Ive heard from theologians, pastors, and other Christians, using the Bible as a test and guide.

Lies can dull our fire but the truth sets us free. The fire that I once had to love and give and serve with all of my heart is back. That high school girl who wanted to serve Jesus with all her heart is still me, still able to fight and kick thanks to God's incredible ability to lead us into all truth.

We had a friend who was full of the Holy Spirit but his then pastor ridiculed him and told him to rein it in. Sadly people can lose their passion because of things like that.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Good on you Wynona. Keep up the fight and the kick! Just don't fight me or kick me o_O

Reactions: Wynona and Lambano

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise the Lord.

You are a blessing young sister!
Stronger & wiser that some that claim to have been following for many years, they just never weaned off the milk & went on to the meat of the word.

:Zek:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Praise God for your testimony!

All of the churches where I was a formal member and most of those I have visited in more recent years, have routinely practiced quenching the Spirit of God in people and teaching other people to do likewise... even enforcing it at times.

In years gone by I loved to visit lots of other assemblies because there were always some where the Spirit of God was moving in people. These days, I hesitate to visit any assembly because so many they have quenched the Spirit and too often press me to go along with them in that...

Help us dear Lord! Our God is able in every situation to overcome the obstacles. If we are always on His side, how can we go wrong?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God for your testimony!

All of the churches where I was a formal member and most of those I have visited in more recent years, have routinely practiced quenching the Spirit of God in people and teaching other people to do likewise... even enforcing it at times.

In years gone by I loved to visit lots of other assemblies because there were always some where the Spirit of God was moving in people. These days, I hesitate to visit any assembly because so many they have quenched the Spirit and too often press me to go along with them in that...

Help us dear Lord! Our God is able in every situation to overcome the obstacles. If we are always on His side, how can we go wrong?
You chose right brother, do not let them quench the Spirit in you. The only thing I would find around here in a Spirit filled church would be everyone speaking in tongues - at the same time and no interpreter either, or I'm being pushed to fall "under the Spirit". If these things are in order then yay! But how to find a good balance seems impossible anymore :(
Much love to you bro!

Reactions: amadeus

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This life is a journey of getting our minds thoughts and hearts thoughts on the same page.

Our next life will be a never ending experience of exceeding joy.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy