The first English Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
William Tyndale wanted to use the same 1516 Erasmus text as a source to translate and print the New Testament in English for the first time in history. Tyndale showed up on Luther's doorstep in Germany in 1525, and by year's end had translated the New Testament into English. Tyndale had been forced to flee England, because of the wide-spread rumor that his English New Testament project was underway, causing inquisitors and bounty hunters to be constantly on Tyndale's trail to arrest him and prevent his project. God foiled their plans, and in 1525-1526 the Tyndale New Testament became the first printed edition of the scripture in the English language. Subsequent printings of the Tyndale New Testament in the 1530's were often elaborately illustrated.
They were burned as soon as the Bishop could confiscate them, but copies trickled through and actually ended up in the bedroom of King Henry VIII. The more the King and Bishop resisted its distribution, the more fascinated the public at large became. The church declared it contained thousands of errors as they torched hundreds of New Testaments confiscated by the clergy, while in fact, they burned them because they could find no errors at all. One risked death by burning if caught in mere possession of Tyndale's forbidden books.
This English Bible History Article & Timeline is ©2013 by author & editor: John L. Jeffcoat III. Special thanks is also given to Dr. Craig H. Lampe for his valuable contributions to the text. This page may be freely reproduced or quoted, in whole or in part, in print or electronically, under the one condition that prominent credit must be given to “WWW.GREATSITE.COM” as the source.
As his New Testament had been pirated for various unsatisfactory editions, he published a revision in 1534, with a third, revised edition in 1535. In 1535, however, he was seized by the local government authorities in Antwerp, where he was living, for being a propagator of heresy. After months of imprisonment and many theological disputations he was condemned in August 1536 for persistence in heresy, and in October he was strangled to death and his body publicly cremated.
Encyclopedia of World Biography | 2004
COPYRIGHT 2004 The Gale Group Inc.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All the Kings could speak and read Latin as was the case with anyone of Nobility and English was just gibberish back in them days, if one was to go back in a time machine to them days you would have a hard time just getting about talking English all over England bar the UK, let along come across one who could read English and all.
I would say the same about Germany as well as you have southern German and North German, not to mention in the 1930's 40's 50's my mum who came from Copenhagen said that she did not know what the hell the north mainland of Denmark were talking about and some others.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
William Tyndale wanted to use the same 1516 Erasmus text as a source to translate and print the New Testament in English for the first time in history.
Tyndale was undoubtedly an excellent scholar and a man of God. His work is echoed in the King James Bible. Here's a sample from his Bible

JOHN 3
1 Ther was a man of the pharises named Nicodemus a ruler amonge ye Iewes.
2 The same cam to Iesus by nyght and sayde vnto him: Rabbi we knowe that thou arte a teacher whiche arte come from God. For no man coulde do suche miracles as thou doest except God were with him.
3 Iesus answered and sayde vnto him: Verely verely I saye vnto the: except a man be boren a newe he cannot se the kyngdom of God.
4 Nicodemus sayde vnto him: how can a man be boren when he is olde? can he enter into his moders wombe and be boren agayne?
5 Iesus answered: verely verely I saye vnto the: except that a man be boren of water and of ye sprete he cannot enter into the kyngdome of god.
6 That which is boren of the flesshe is flesshe: and that which is boren of the sprete is sprete.
7 Marvayle not that I sayd to the ye must be boren a newe.
8 The wynde bloweth where he listeth and thou hearest his sounde: but canst not tell whence he cometh and whether he goeth. So is every man that is boren of the sprete.
9 And Nicodemus answered and sayde vnto him: how can these thinges be?
10 Iesus answered and sayde vnto him: arte thou a master in Israel and knowest not these thinges?
11 Verely verely I saye vnto the we speake that we knowe and testify that we have sene: and ye receave not oure witnes.
12 Yf when I tell you erthely thinges ye beleve not: how shuld ye beleve yf I shall tell you of hevenly thinges?
13 And no man ascendeth vp to heaven but he that came doune from heaven that is to saye the sonne of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifte vp the serpent in the wyldernes even so must the sonne of man be lifte vp
15 that none that beleveth in him perisshe: but have eternall lyfe.
16 For God so loveth the worlde yt he hath geven his only sonne that none that beleve in him shuld perisshe: but shuld have everlastinge lyfe.
17 For God sent not his sonne into the worlde to condepne the worlde: but that the worlde through him might be saved.