The Genesis Flood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I am curious as to how many of you believe the Genesis Flood to be a literal event. I'm not saying it's a matter of salvation. The Flood is well documented throughout the Bible so it is certainly important or God wouldn't have repeated this several times in His Word, and yet some who profess to be Christian deny it to be literal. It clearly illustrates the severity of God upon the unrepentant. The Biblical description of the Flood is incredible. I believe God had a very important purpose in the Flood, "making them an example". There were obviously a LOT of humans whom Jesus drowned. We cannot even imagine large numbers of people, including children, babies, elderly, etc. being drowned by Jesus/God. How many of you really believe this actually happened? I do. Jesus did, but of course He was the One who drowned them.

Matthew 24:37-39 (ESV)
[sup]37 [/sup]For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [sup]38 [/sup]For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, [sup]39 [/sup]and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not a literal event. An important story, but it did not really happen.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Not a literal event. An important story, but it did not really happen.
Genesis says it did happen. Why do you say it didn't?

Jesus said it really happened also. How was Jesus wrong?

[sup]37 [/sup]For as were the days of Noah, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [sup]38 [/sup]For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, [sup]39 [/sup]and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Genesis says it did happen. Why do you say it didn't?

The story does not add up. The animals; the worldwide flood; saving 8 sinners and drowning the rest of humanity; there is no evidence of a worldwide flood; water is a universal metaphor for feelings of being completely out of control; '40 days and 40 nights' is a common phrase used by ancient storytellers; the flood account is found in different forms throughout the ancient cultures of Mesopotamia.

Wickedness wasn't even measurable or distinguishable back then because it was before God introduced His law.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
The story does not add up. The animals; the worldwide flood; saving 8 sinners and drowning the rest of humanity; there is no evidence of a worldwide flood; water is a universal metaphor for feelings of being completely out of control; '40 days and 40 nights' is a common phrase used by ancient storytellers; the flood account is found in different forms throughout the ancient cultures of Mesopotamia.

Jesus was wrong? Moses was wrong? Peter was wrong? And you are right?

Reactions: Cresco

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You have it backwards. Which one claimed it wasn't literal?

You're right, none of them claimed it was a literal event. Instead, they all referenced a sacred story that their audience knew well, in order to make a point.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
You're right, none of them claimed it was a literal event.
I didn't say that Aspen. How is that not a lie??? There is absolutely no reason to not believe the Flood to be literal.
Instead, they all referenced a sacred story that their audience knew well, in order to make a point.
Why is it that you never offer proof, only your opinions? You are calling Jesus, Moses and Peter liars.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I didn't say that Aspen. How is that not a lie??? There is absolutely no reason to not believe the Flood to be literal.

Why is it that you never offer proof, only your opinions? You are calling Jesus, Moses and Peter liars.

Excuse me? I answered the OP. I do not recall any requirement in the OP regarding providing proof for my opinion.

Actually I provided quite a few reasons to question the literal account of the flood story.

Umm....this is an opinion board.

Okay, so in the OP you claim that this is not a salvation issue and it is okay to have differing opinions and now you are claiming that I am calling Jesus a liar??

Sounds to me like you started this thread to set people up for a fight.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Excuse me? I answered the OP. I do not recall any requirement in the OP regarding providing proof for my opinion.
Ok, so it's only your opinion.
Actually I provided quite a few reasons to question the literal account of the flood story.
But nothing Biblical.
Umm....this is an opinion board.

Okay, so in the OP you claim that this is not a salvation issue and it is okay to have differing opinions and now you are claiming that I am calling Jesus a liar??
Yes indeed!

Sounds to me like you started this thread to set people up for a fight.

Or you came here for a fight.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ok, so it's only your opinion.

But nothing Biblical.

Yes indeed!

Or you came here for a fight.

Goodbye Ducky

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, how did the Tasmanian devil, the panda bear, and the Kangaroo get to Mesopotamia, anyway? How about the North American bison? or the South American sloth - that couple must of started a few decades ahead of time!

A literal rendering of the Flood story is not possible. Assembling the animals and dispersing them again after the Flood - it is certainly more unlikely than the theory of evolution. The worst part is that people get caught up in whether it actually happen or not, rather than the point of the story - God's sovereignty.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I believe the flood to be a literal event. I also believe Sodom and Gomorrah happened as well. The bible tells us that before He destroyed those wicked cities that the outcry of their crimes had become so loud that God could not ignore it.
If we, people, think we have the right to declare war on a country for their horrendous crimes against humanity, then how much more does God have that right? To let Hitler live would have been more of an evil then to slay Him. Imagine a whole city of Hitler's...a whole world.
I believe God is just and that therefore His punishments are just.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I believe the flood literally happened. BTW, there are those that believe it happened literally, but believe in different scopes of the flood. I believe in a worldwide flood, as the nature of the atmosphere apparently changed after the flood to allow for a rainbow. As we all know, one can see a rainbow as easily in Australia as in North America or the middle east. This strongly infers that the "rainbow covenant" is a worldwide covenant. However, some people believe it happened only locally.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
No doubt in my mind that the flood of Noah's day was literal. Likewise with a previous world flood at Genesis 1:2.

A destruction upon the earth by God is one of the main subjects by Peter in 2 Peter 3, and he said some are "willingly ignorant" about those times of God's literal destruction upon the earth. Moreover, Peter taught about another destruction that is yet to come, the next time by God's consuming fire.

If God can make Apostle Philip vanish right in front of the Ethiopian in his chariot, and cause Philip to be 'caught away' to another location on earth to the north, then God had no problem gathering the animals to go aboard Noah's ark.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia

If God can make Apostle Philip vanish right in front of the Ethiopian in his chariot, and cause Philip to be 'caught away' to another location on earth to the north, then God had no problem gathering the animals to go aboard Noah's ark.

Agreed! Why do we doubt when "all things are possible with God"? Some things do seem wildly impossible, but God spun out the universe with words from His mouth!

Reactions: Etienne

Etienne

Jun 6, 2011
IMO the flood was as literal as can come.

Wickedness wasn't even measurable or distinguishable back then because it was before God introduced His law.

Really? Did you really check to see if there is?

Some say it was only local, ok, then why;

If the Flood was local, why did Noah have to build an Ark? He could have walked to the other side of the mountains and missed it.

If the Flood was local, why did God send the animals to the Ark so they would escape death? There would have been other animals to reproduce that kind if these particular ones had died.

If the Flood was local, why would birds have been sent on board? These could simply have winged across to a nearby mountain range.

If the Flood was local, how could the waters rise to 15 cubits (8 meters) above the mountains - Gen 7:20 -water seeks its own level. It couldn’t rise to cover the local mountains while leaving the rest of the world untouched.

If the Flood was local, people who did not happen to be living in the vicinity would not be affected by it. They would have escaped God’s judgment on sin.<a name="f3"> If this happened, what did Christ mean when He likened the coming judgment of all men to the judgment of ‘all’ men Matt 24: 37-39 in the days of Noah? A partial judgment in Noah’s day means a partial judgment to come.

If the Flood was local, God would have repeatedly broken His promise never to send such a flood again.

:huh:

http://www.answersin...21/i3/flood.asp

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey if I am wrong about the Flood, Jesus and I will have a good laugh about it. All I am saying is that it doesn't have to be a literal account to be valuable and referenced by Jesus and Paul.