The gift of tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hmm just a short testimony, but i was around 10 maybe a little older when i got the gift of speaking in tongues, mum was still reading the bible to me at that point haha. 1 time she was reading the Bible to me in bed, and after she finished she laid hands on me, and asked God to give me the gift of tongues, and I started speaking in tongues, in an unknown language it was pretty awesome and i hadn't done it for a while after that though, but 1-2 years ago it came back to me and i have been doing it ever since, i believe I never lost it though, I just wasn't using it and now i am again. So praise God :D

It would be interesting to know about you other people on these forums, when and where did you 1st get the gift of tongues?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Josho said:
Hmm just a short testimony, but i was around 10 maybe a little older when i got the gift of speaking in tongues, mum was still reading the bible to me at that point haha. 1 time she was reading the Bible to me in bed, and after she finished she laid hands on me, and asked God to give me the gift of tongues, and I started speaking in tongues, in an unknown language it was pretty awesome and i hadn't done it for a while after that though, but 1-2 years ago it came back to me and i have been doing it ever since, i believe I never lost it though, I just wasn't using it and now i am again. So praise God :D

It would be interesting to know about you other people on these forums, when
and where did you 1st get the gift of tongues?
Josho,

1 Cor 12:30 (ESV) asks, 'Do all speak with tongues?' The Greek anticipates a 'No' answer. Why? There is a diversity of gifts and not all have the gift of tongues. It would be a strange body if it was dominated by one or very few physical functions. It would be a strange body of Christ if certain gifts were favoured over others.

'Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues' (1 Cor 14:39 NIV).

I have not been given the gift of tongues, which requires the gift of interpretation when the church gathers (1 Cor 14:13 NIV).

Oz

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OzSpen said:
Josho,

1 Cor 12:30 (ESV) asks, 'Do all speak with tongues?' The Greek anticipates a 'No' answer. Why? There is a diversity of gifts and not all have the gift of tongues. It would be a strange body if it was dominated by one or very few physical functions. It would be a strange body of Christ if certain gifts were favoured over others.

'Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues' (1 Cor 14:39 NIV).

I have not been given the gift of tongues, which requires the gift of interpretation when the church gathers (1 Cor 14:13 NIV).

Oz
OzSpen I'm aware not all speak in tongues, and their are different gifts, and God is fine with that, but this was a question aimed at other people who do have the gift of speaking in tongues, sorry if that wasn't clear.. :D

Jan 19, 2017
USA, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says that when people speak in tongues there is suppose to be an interpreter present to say what the tongues mean. Tongues is the language of angels, it is praising God in angel language. Paul said we should speak to each other in our own language to be understood, so new comers can understand the sermon, hear the words and be saved. my mom went to a holiness church with her grandmother when she was 10 and heard the speaking in tongues, it scared her.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Josho, I missed this when you first posted it.

When I became a Christian 40-ish years ago there was a lot of discussion (and controversy) about baptism in the Spirit and speaking in tongues. I really wanted to be filled with the Spirit but nothing ever happened when I asked God to do it. Then I read a book (I forget the title now) where the author pointed out that many people don't have interesting or spectacular experiences when they are converted, and it's just the same when people are filled with the Spirit - sometimes it's an amazing experience and sometimes it isn't. We are filled with the Spirit by faith, just as we are saved by faith - NOT by experiences!
Having read that, I immediately prayed (I was in bed at the time) and asked God to fill me with His Spirit, but when nothing happened I just said 'Thankyou' and went to sleep. The following afternoon, I was suddenly filled with an urge to praise God and began to speak in tongues for the first time.

It's a gift that I've never used in public, just as a personal prayer language. It has been immensely helpful to me, as I am not by nature a talkative person and for that reason I have always found prayer a struggle. But the Holy Spirit loosens my tongue!

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Deborah_ said:
Hi Josho, I missed this when you first posted it.

When I became a Christian 40-ish years ago there was a lot of discussion (and controversy) about baptism in the Spirit and speaking in tongues. I really wanted to be filled with the Spirit but nothing ever happened when I asked God to do it. Then I read a book (I forget the title now) where the author pointed out that many people don't have interesting or spectacular experiences when they are converted, and it's just the same when people are filled with the Spirit - sometimes it's an amazing experience and sometimes it isn't. We are filled with the Spirit by faith, just as we are saved by faith - NOT by experiences!
Having read that, I immediately prayed (I was in bed at the time) and asked God to fill me with His Spirit, but when nothing happened I just said 'Thankyou' and went to sleep. The following afternoon, I was suddenly filled with an urge to praise God and began to speak in tongues for the first time.

It's a gift that I've never used in public, just as a personal prayer language. It has been immensely helpful to me, as I am not by nature a talkative person and for that reason I have always found prayer a struggle. But the Holy Spirit loosens my tongue!
That's awesome, it's a step of faith by saying "thank you" to the Lord before it happens, and praying in tongues is a great language to pray in when ya can't find the words, when we pray in tongues there is so much going on in the supernatural realm, it also helps to grow your spiritual muscle, it's wonderful. :D

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well if the gift of tounges is not for all Gods a liar. I dont think its God. God says He has no favourites. God says what He will do for one He will do for all.. Anyone can speak in tounges.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sword said:
Well if the gift of tounges is not for all Gods a liar. I dont think its God. God says He has no favourites. God says what He will do for one He will do for all.. Anyone can speak in tounges.
Well, none of the gifts are for everyone - otherwise we'd all have every single gift and we wouldn't need each other!

No one gift - not even the gift of tongues - is a sign of God's special favour. He gives all of us gifts - but they are different for each person.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Where does the bible exclude anyone from any gift?

And if you could explain why I would not need anyone if I had all the gifts or anyone else?

If you could just give scriptures for all the claims you made please thank you.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sword said:
Where does the bible exclude anyone from any gift?

And if you could explain why I would not need anyone if I had all the gifts or anyone else?

If you could just give scriptures for all the claims you made please thank you.
In I Corinthians 12, Paul talks about the diversity of the Body of Christ - how we are all different (verses 7-11), and therefore interdependent (verses17-21). At the end, he asks a number of questions that in the Greek are worded to anticipate the answer 'No' (something almost impossible to bring out in English translation):
"Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Go all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?" (I Corinthians 12:29,30) No, no, no, no, no, no, and no!

Clearly none of the gifts is for every Christian.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So how does that say The gifts are not for all? It doesnt say what you think it says. are all saved No. Is it Gods will for all to be saved Yes. Are all sved no. Are all teachers clearly not. But many asume the position as we see in every Christian forum. The gifts are for all but not all walk in them. and with your mind set never will. and worse you are holding people back by saying what you are saying. It no where in scripture says what you are trying to make it say. If yyou were in court cliaming that as a charge it would be thown out.

Anything you ask in my name I will do it. This is in mant verses. Anything. So depends on what you want. your words are life and death. Are you believeing for life or death. How can you fully represent Christ with no power. You will know them by there fruits. what fruits all the gifts. I so far speak in tounges and lay hands on the sick. I want to have a word of knowledge. Anything you ask. I never even asked for healing. I never asked for tounges. I want it all. I want to FULLY represent the Father here on earth now. How can you if you believe you only get one. and you probably think you might not even get one at all??????? Do you have what you think is YOUR gift? How would you know what your gift is unless God comes along and tells everyone. What do you being a teacher tell people how to find out what there gift is useing scripture? I think that will do for just now.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sword said:
So how does that say The gifts are not for all? It doesnt say what you think it says. are all saved No. Is it Gods will for all to be saved Yes. Are all sved no. Are all teachers clearly not. But many asume the position as we see in every Christian forum. The gifts are for all but not all walk in them. and with your mind set never will. and worse you are holding people back by saying what you are saying. It no where in scripture says what you are trying to make it say. If yyou were in court cliaming that as a charge it would be thown out.

Anything you ask in my name I will do it. This is in mant verses. Anything. So depends on what you want. your words are life and death. Are you believeing for life or death. How can you fully represent Christ with no power. You will know them by there fruits. what fruits all the gifts. I so far speak in tounges and lay hands on the sick. I want to have a word of knowledge. Anything you ask. I never even asked for healing. I never asked for tounges. I want it all. I want to FULLY represent the Father here on earth now. How can you if you believe you only get one. and you probably think you might not even get one at all??????? Do you have what you think is YOUR gift? How would you know what your gift is unless God comes along and tells everyone. What do you being a teacher tell people how to find out what there gift is useing scripture? I think that will do for just now.
Paul is saying it, not me. Are you accusing Paul of "holding people back"?

The gifts (as a whole) are for all - and I have never said otherwise.

Anything you ask in my name I will do it. This is in mant verses. Anything. So depends on what you want.
No, it doesn't. We have to ask in Christ's name - in other words, with His authorisation. And He has not promised to give us absolutely anything we want. As James says, "When you ask, you do not receive" - not because you 'lack faith' but "because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." (James 4:3)

As you yourself admit, you do not have all the gifts. Neither do I. But you have some - and so do I. That is normal. Even in the New Testament, Paul and the other apostles seem to have had more gifts than the 'average' believer. We are encouraged to ask for more gifts (I Corinthians 14:1). Some of us are given more gifts than others - but nobody has every single one. What is so terrible about having "only" one or two gifts, if God is clearly using them for His glory and to build up the Church?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Deborah_ said:
Paul is saying it, not me. Are you accusing Paul of "holding people back"?

The gifts (as a whole) are for all - and I have never said otherwise.

No, it doesn't. We have to ask in Christ's name - in other words, with His authorisation. And He has not promised to give us absolutely anything we want. As James says, "When you ask, you do not receive" - not because you 'lack faith' but "because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." (James 4:3)

As you yourself admit, you do not have all the gifts. Neither do I. But you have some - and so do I. That is normal. Even in the New Testament, Paul and the other apostles seem to have had more gifts than the 'average' believer. We are encouraged to ask for more gifts (I Corinthians 14:1). Some of us are given more gifts than others - but nobody has every single one. What is so terrible about having "only" one or two gifts, if God is clearly using them for His glory and to build up the Church?
God said it through Paul I am niether accusing God or Paul. I am saying you are misteaching it the way you are putting it. It does not say the gifts are NOT for all like you say. Paul is asking do all , The answer is clearly no. Paul is no saying what your implying that the gifts are not for everyone. And no one will ever have all gifts. You are adding that. Anyone CAN have all the gifts We dont have them because we never asked . We dont have them because we wont step out in faith with the gifts.

You said

"Clearly none of the gifts is for every Christian."

So you did say other wise.

Then I quoted scripture and you quote the same scripture back at me.

Any thing you ask in MY NAME i said. Then you tell me I must ask in Jesus name??? I quoted it. I never said he will give anything we ask, you did. Please dont misqoute me. Please dont read into what I never said.

I am reffering to the gifts only not "Anything you ask"

Is it in the Fathers will to give us whats good and right for us yes it is. Clearly you can not Fully represent Christ unless you have all the gifts.

And clearly I dont have all the gifts because I never asked yet.

Did you ask for all the gifts. You cant say yes if you are believeing we cant have them in the first place.

What is so terrible if God made the gifts available to all and we dont expect to get them because people are teaching we cant. That is terrible.

The answer is not clearly no as you claim.

We are encourgad to chase after the gits cleary as you quoted. But thats not what you been claiming from the start. Why because we can have them all.

"Some of us are given more gifts than others" It does not say that you said that.

"- but nobody has every single one." Says you??? I know there are not many with all the gifts as we dont see that every day. But you are wrong to assume there is no one in the whole world with all the gifts just because you never seen it. That is just wrong. You can not make that claim. The gifts are for all if you ernestly seek them and step out in faith with them.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sword said:
God said it through Paul I am niether accusing God or Paul. I am saying you are misteaching it the way you are putting it. It does not say the gifts are NOT for all like you say. Paul is asking do all , The answer is clearly no. Paul is no saying what your implying that the gifts are not for everyone. And no one will ever have all gifts. You are adding that. Anyone CAN have all the gifts We dont have them because we never asked . We dont have them because we wont step out in faith with the gifts
You are not looking at the context. In I Corinthians 12, Paul is talking about the diversity of the Body of Christ. The whole point he is making is that we are not all the same - and God does not intend us to be all the same. If everybody had all the gifts, there would be no diversity. Instead, 'we have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us." (Romans 12:6)

"Clearly none of the gifts is for every Christian."

So you did say other wise.

Then I quoted scripture and you quote the same scripture back at me.

Any thing you ask in MY NAME i said. Then you tell me I must ask in Jesus name??? I quoted it. I never said he will give anything we ask, you did. Please dont misqoute me. Please dont read into what I never said.

I am reffering to the gifts only not "Anything you ask"

Is it in the Fathers will to give us whats good and right for us yes it is.
So where does Jesus say that we can have all the gifts? He gives us what is good and right - but it still doesn't follow that He will give us everything good and right!

Clearly you can not Fully represent Christ unless you have all the gifts.
I find two problems with this assertion. First, do we really need all the gifts to be representatives of Christ? Who says? That isn't what the gifts are for - they're for building up other believers (I Corinthians 12:7; Ephesians 4:11,12).

Secondly, even if that were the case, neither you nor I, as individuals, need all of them. It's the job of the church, His Body, to represent Him to the world. A church should have all the gifts, but not each individual member. We aren't meant to be one-man-bands; we're meant to function as part of His Body.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm...seems to me that if we could have all the gifts ourselves by just asking...Paul would have just said as much and the letter to the Corinthians would be much shorter.

Reactions: Born_Again

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have the gift of tongues. but if I did, and if i could, I would trade it for the gift of healing in a heart beat . I would not reject any gift or blessing from God. but if I could choose.
Pomp.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wormwood said:
Hmmm...seems to me that if we could have all the gifts ourselves by just asking...Paul would have just said as much and the letter to the Corinthians would be much shorter.

Is that what is done with every other verse? are they all that simple? Its a translation from three other languages. It does not always translate properly in English.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
pompadour said:
I don't have the gift of tongues. but if I did, and if i could, I would trade it for the gift of healing in a heart beat . I would not reject any gift or blessing from God. but if I could choose.
Pomp.
You are commanded to go lay hands on the sick. You already have the gift or healing. What you might not have is faith to believe you can lay hands on the sick. The prayer doesnt get the sick up. Faith does nothing else. Your commisison is to set the captives free. Believers lay hands on the sick and they are healed. Are you a believer pomp? Then you are NOT disqualified other than what you believe. So now you know you have the gift of healing.
If you want the gift of tounges ask God for it and start talking in it. end of story.

The gift of tounges is for every believer. Its for your edification.

Reactions: pia

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Deborah_ said:
You are not looking at the context. In I Corinthians 12, Paul is talking about the diversity of the Body of Christ. The whole point he is making is that we are not all the same - and God does not intend us to be all the same. If everybody had all the gifts, there would be no diversity. Instead, 'we have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us." (Romans 12:6)

So where does Jesus say that we can have all the gifts? He gives us what is good and right - but it still doesn't follow that He will give us everything good and right!

I find two problems with this assertion. First, do we really need all the gifts to be representatives of Christ? Who says? That isn't what the gifts are for - they're for building up other believers (I Corinthians 12:7; Ephesians 4:11,12).

Secondly, even if that were the case, neither you nor I, as individuals, need all of them. It's the job of the church, His Body, to represent Him to the world. A church should have all the gifts, but not each individual member. We aren't meant to be one-man-bands; we're meant to function as part of His Body.
So you are saying God wants diversity in the church. Thats why we dont have all the gifts? That is not from God. Cant you see how silly that looks?

'we have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us." (Romans 12:6)
We all naturally fall towards one gift or another, Some have a heart for healing as Pomp said. So did I. Soon as I knew I could I did. I never asked for it. So how did I get it? The bible clearly says believers lay hands on the sick and they will be healed. So I have the gift of healing as does every Christian yes?????

The gift of tonuges is for every believer. Yes?

You said we cant have all the gifts and then you changed you mind and siad you never said that. And when I quoted you saying it you ignored replying to me on it, and instead came up with another question. It looks like to me you are reading your bible to prove people wrong. Thats a zero. Instead of misquoting scripture why dont you look p what I say and ask God is this right? I already done it and know it.
You said jesus gives us what is right and good. To what point are you quoting this to fit what you believe?

So I have shown clearly that the firdt two are available for a fact. So tell me if you need more on it and if you agree or not. that would be a start. Jesus said many times and many things about what is availsable to us. every thing and any thing that is for Gods glory yes? Anything you ask in my name will be give as long as you believe in your heart? Does it say any thing? Does that mean prophecey? Doers in mean we can have tounges? Does it mean we can have a house? To Gods glory yes it does.

You have two problems.
How can you fully represent Christ wiith out all the gifts? You are called to fully represent Him in all things. Do yyou think you can do that with out the gift of knowledge? Or with out decerment? How can you set the person free from a demon who is playing possem with you. Ever heard of that?

So if I come to your church and get some peole healed in front of your etes and then tell someone what going on in there life and assure them there child is well and safe in another country. And then I go on to teach how you all can do this as you give time to build up a personal relationship with God. ( Not going to church or doing church stuff that needs done) I am talking about whorshiping God in the bedroom where no one else can hear you say I love you Father. Do you think that would build up your church or cause diversity? I dont see your two problems there. So your question do we need the gifts to represent Christ amy answer No. My question do we really need all the gifts to FULLY represent Christ Yes we do. See the differnece between my question and yours. Yours limits us. Mine exposes there always more to come. Futher to go. deeper in Him.

Funny how individuals say one minute I am the church and then if it suits all of a sudden we need each other?

So you have the gift of tounges you said. and you have the gifet of healing.
You meet a man who needs a demon cast out. SO you say sorry bud I dont have that gift. Or he needs a word of wisdon for his business. Sorry bud cant help ya. But if you can come back next week theres a guy in our church who has that gift. He might be here next week.
That is no good to anyone and totally missrepresents Chriust and what Hes done.
We are only liited by what we believe.

You talk about how the church should be able to sort it as we have all the different gifts. The church as a whole does an anual out reach. So once a year the Church which means out goers. ( Even though they turned it toatally against what we are ment to be, and made it ingoers) And it try to reach people once a year or twice in some cases. How many get set free with that. So on the way round the streets one guy needs healing but you went round the other corner and found a guy who needs something else. So what you are saying cant work and hasent worked since a very long time. Its actully pathetic. The gifts are avsailable to anyone. and thats how we represent CHrist. There is NO condemnation here on anyone. We are running a 1600 years approxamitly with out all of this anyway. So its not our fault. But if we are going to limit The full gospel. Then it will continue as is. We need to die to self fully. Not the furry gospel that has been sold the lie that we do nothing. The lie that We are just sinners. The church is full of lies, satans lies. he came to steal kill and destroy/ he can only work with what we give him.. And we willing ly give him plenty.

Reactions: pia

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:
Is that what is done with every other verse? are they all that simple? Its a translation from three other languages. It does not always translate properly in English.
I don't know what you are talking about. Its a translation from one language, Koine Greek. That has no bearing on what I was talking about. In fact, the Greek explicitly indicates that not all have the gift of tongues. The question demands a negative response given Greek grammatical principles.

Reactions: OzSpen