The gifts of the Spirit: some principles

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I Corinthians 12:1-11

“Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed…” (I Corinthians 12:1)

The church at Corinth was richly endowed with spiritual gifts (I Corinthians 1:7) - but were woefully ignorant of their true purpose. They were like children playing with new toys, without bothering to read the instructions; and the results were embarrassing to behold. Paul had to devote a large section of his letter to setting them straight on this matter….

The gifts are not to be accepted uncritically

Christians don’t have a monopoly of supernatural power; other religions have their prophets and healers, and pagans can have fantastic spiritual experiences. So we need to be careful, for even in a Christian meeting things may not always be what they are claimed to be (I John 4:1-3). Most (probably all) of the gifts can be counterfeited by evil spirits, or even by human beings. This may not be for any malicious reason; some people may feel ‘under pressure’ to speak in tongues, or may mis-interpret their own thoughts and desires as promptings of the Spirit.

For this reason, it is very unwise to make any of the spiritual gifts into a test of Christian faith. As Jesus Himself pointed out, it is possible for people to perform miracles in His name yet show no evidence of obedience to Him in their daily lives (Matthew 7:21-23). The proof of genuine Christianity is not the ability to speak in tongues, but allegiance to Jesus as Lord (I Corinthians 12:3).

They are to glorify Jesus

… not to draw attention to ourselves, or to our church. And they are definitely not ends in themselves - although many Christians pursue them with far more energy than they devote to getting to know Jesus.

They are for everyone

They are given to the whole church - not just to the leaders, to the mature, or to the super-spiritual, but even to the very young and to those new in the faith. They should therefore not be regarded as ‘badges’ of spiritual maturity or divine favour.

They are for ‘the common good’

They are not given to us for our own personal fulfilment or enjoyment, but for the benefit and enrichment of the whole community of believers. Possession of a gift is not a licence to ‘show off’ or to interrupt a meeting at an inappropriate moment (I Corinthians 14:26-33).

They are not natural abilities

Musical talents and other acquired skills are often spoken of as ‘spiritual gifts’, even though there is nothing supernatural about them. This is potentially misleading. However, these ‘natural’ abilities are also originally from God, and He wants to make use of them too!

They are not entitlements

“The Spirit distributes them to each one, just as He determines.” (I Corinthians 12:11) There is no reason why we should not ask for a particular gift - Paul encourages the Corinthians to seek especially the gift of prophecy (I Corinthians 14:1) - but we won’t necessarily get it! For the distribution of the gifts is entirely at the Giver’s discretion.

They are not a permanent possession

Gifts are not to be confused with ministries (although there is obviously some overlap). Gifts are usually given for use on a specific occasion, when they are needed. Some people are given the same gift repeatedly (a Biblical example is Agabus, who was recognised as having a prophetic ministry), but this can never be assumed. A spiritual gift is never our own property; it remains under the ownership of the Spirit, and He is free to give it or to take it away.

They must be used with love

Love is not ‘superior’ to the gifts, nor should it displace them. But without love, they are valueless – and, ultimately, pointless (I Corinthians 13:1,2). This is especially true of tongues and prophecy, which some Christians try to impose on other members of the congregation with a complete lack of sensitivity - thus causing offence rather then edification.

They are not the most important thing

The spiritual gifts, like the sacraments, are for this age only - they will be superfluous in the next one. They are valuable tools for our Christian service, aids for our spiritual growth, and a foretaste of the coming Kingdom; but for that very reason, they are a reminder that it has not yet arrived. When we reach our destination, we will no longer need a means of transport. When the sun rises, the lights get turned off. And when Christ returns, the gifts (wonderful though they are) will become irrelevant.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Deborah_ said:

“Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed…” (I Corinthians 12:1)

The church at Corinth was richly endowed with spiritual gifts (I Corinthians 1:7) - but were woefully ignorant of their true purpose. They were like children playing with new toys, without bothering to read the instructions; and the results were embarrassing to behold. Paul had to devote a large section of his letter to setting them straight on this matter….

Christians don’t have a monopoly of supernatural power; other religions have their prophets and healers, and pagans can have fantastic spiritual experiences. So we need to be careful, for even in a Christian meeting things may not always be what they are claimed to be (I John 4:1-3). Most (probably all) of the gifts can be counterfeited by evil spirits, or even by human beings. This may not be for any malicious reason; some people may feel ‘under pressure’ to speak in tongues, or may mis-interpret their own thoughts and desires as promptings of the Spirit.

For this reason, it is very unwise to make any of the spiritual gifts into a test of Christian faith. As Jesus Himself pointed out, it is possible for people to perform miracles in His name yet show no evidence of obedience to Him in their daily lives (Matthew 7:21-23). The proof of genuine Christianity is not the ability to speak in tongues, but allegiance to Jesus as Lord (I Corinthians 12:3).

… not to draw attention to ourselves, or to our church. And they are definitely not ends in themselves - although many Christians pursue them with far more energy than they devote to getting to know Jesus.

They are for everyone

They are given to the whole church - not just to the leaders, to the mature, or to the super-spiritual, but even to the very young and to those new in the faith. They should therefore not be regarded as ‘badges’ of spiritual maturity or divine favour.

They are not given to us for our own personal fulfilment or enjoyment, but for the benefit and enrichment of the whole community of believers. Possession of a gift is not a licence to ‘show off’ or to interrupt a meeting at an inappropriate moment (I Corinthians 14:26-33).

Musical talents and other acquired skills are often spoken of as ‘spiritual gifts’, even though there is nothing supernatural about them. This is potentially misleading. However, these ‘natural’ abilities are also originally from God, and He wants to make use of them too!

“The Spirit distributes them to each one, just as He determines.” (I Corinthians 12:11) There is no reason why we should not ask for a particular gift - Paul encourages the Corinthians to seek especially the gift of prophecy (I Corinthians 14:1) - but we won’t necessarily get it! For the distribution of the gifts is entirely at the Giver’s discretion.

Gifts are not to be confused with ministries (although there is obviously some overlap). Gifts are usually given for use on a specific occasion, when they are needed. Some people are given the same gift repeatedly (a Biblical example is Agabus, who was recognised as having a prophetic ministry), but this can never be assumed. A spiritual gift is never our own property; it remains under the ownership of the Spirit, and He is free to give it or to take it away.

Love is not ‘superior’ to the gifts, nor should it displace them. But without love, they are valueless – and, ultimately, pointless (I Corinthians 13:1,2). This is especially true of tongues and prophecy, which some Christians try to impose on other members of the congregation with a complete lack of sensitivity - thus causing offence rather then edification.

The spiritual gifts, like the sacraments, are for this age only - they will be superfluous in the next one. They are valuable tools for our Christian service, aids for our spiritual growth, and a foretaste of the coming Kingdom; but for that very reason, they are a reminder that it has not yet arrived. When we reach our destination, we will no longer need a means of transport. When the sun rises, the lights get turned off. And when Christ returns, the gifts (wonderful though they are) will become irrelevant.
Unfortunately, this is not what the Charismatic churches here in Alabama are like at all...

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It really does look like a list of super powers the way you have it there LOL

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Deborah_ said:

They are for everyone

Good Teaching! I enjoy this outline and breakdown!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Words of wisdom and knowledge

Anyone can ask God confidently for wisdom (James 1:5); it is a product of ‘the fear of the Lord’ (Job 28:28). But the spiritual gift of wisdom is slightly different; it is, in fact, a ‘word of wisdom’ (I Corinthians 12:8). This is what the Spirit will give us in order to defend our faith (Luke 21:14,15), or perhaps to settle a dispute (I Kings 3:16-28). This was how Stephen was able to hold his own in debate with unbelieving Jews - “they could not stand up against the wisdom the Spirit gave him as he spoke” (Acts 6:10).

A word of knowledge is something slightly different. It is a supernatural knowledge of the truth of a situation, or of the thoughts in someone’s heart, and it enables the Holy Spirit to use us to convict someone of sin or to expose hypocrisy. A good Biblical example is when Peter confronted Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-5). What they had done was done in secret, and known only to themselves; but Peter’s inspired words made their sin public and pronounced God’s judgement on it.

Reactions: Josho

zhiqiangL

Mar 4, 2016

I love these words, God is love, and we should share God's love.

iakov

Jan 17, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Born_Again said:
"Super powers"??? Really??? They are the gifts of God the Holy Spirit to the body of Christ for the common good.

Are you not afraid to mock God's gifts? Seems to me like a foolish thing to do. ( As in the redneck's last words: "Here, hold my beer; watch this.")

What does an "Encounter Team" member do? (Besides laugh out loud at God's gifts to His Church.)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Our "Encounter Team" are this forums "first Response" Team." He was not mocking anyone, just making an observation about God's gifts. Lighten up!

Shalomxox

Reactions: bbyrd009

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Someone asked me recently how I knew which spiritual gifts I had, and indeed how anyone finds out which gifts they have.

That's not an easy question to answer briefly, because to some extent it depends on the gift. With the more 'supernatural' gifts (such as miracles and healings, I would have thought it would be fairly obvious. If you pray for people who need healing, and an unusually high proportion of them are healed when you pray, then you probably have the gift of healing.

With gifts like tongues and prophecy, it may be a little harder to be sure - some people worry that their 'tongue' might be generated by their own brain, rather than by the Holy Spirit. Now I can only speak for myself (I've never asked anyone else), but I know that doesn't happen when I speak in tongues because the words don't go through my brain at all - I don't know what's going to come out of my mouth until I've spoken it.
Similarly with prophecy: if a thought comes into your mind, how do you know that it's from God and not from your own subconscious? I don't think anyone can be absolutely sure - this is why we are told that all prophecies should be tested by other people in the church. So whether you have the gift of prophecy is something that can only be determined by other believers, not by you yourself.

Then there are the more 'ordinary' gifts such as helping, hospitality, evangelism, administration and teaching. These are things that all Christians are meant to do, at least to a small extent, so what distinguishes somebody who has a gift from the rest of us? I suggest that it's seen in the fruit it bears. For example: we all show hospitality as we are able, but there are a few people whose homes seem to be a magnet for visitors - not only that, but guests frequently become Christians or have problems sorted out through staying there. They are the ones with the gift of hospitality.

As a general rule, if the Holy Spirit wants to give you a particular gift, He will also send you opportunities to use it. So if you spot the opportunities, don't be afraid to take the appropriate action - and watch to see what the Spirit does through you!

Reactions: Josho and Angelina

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, this is not what the Charismatic churches here in Alabama are like at all...

Lord she said 'I come with empty hands for if they were full how would you fill them - twinc

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, why not? I think they are pretty "super" things... And they are powerful....

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Someone asked me recently how I knew which spiritual gifts I had, and indeed how anyone finds out which gifts they have.

That's not an easy question to answer briefly, because to some extent it depends on the gift. With the more 'supernatural' gifts (such as miracles and healings, I would have thought it would be fairly obvious. If you pray for people who need healing, and an unusually high proportion of them are healed when you pray, then you probably have the gift of healing.

With gifts like tongues and prophecy, it may be a little harder to be sure - some people worry that their 'tongue' might be generated by their own brain, rather than by the Holy Spirit. Now I can only speak for myself (I've never asked anyone else), but I know that doesn't happen when I speak in tongues because the words don't go through my brain at all - I don't know what's going to come out of my mouth until I've spoken it.
Similarly with prophecy: if a thought comes into your mind, how do you know that it's from God and not from your own subconscious? I don't think anyone can be absolutely sure - this is why we are told that all prophecies should be tested by other people in the church. So whether you have the gift of prophecy is something that can only be determined by other believers, not by you yourself.

Then there are the more 'ordinary' gifts such as helping, hospitality, evangelism, administration and teaching. These are things that all Christians are meant to do, at least to a small extent, so what distinguishes somebody who has a gift from the rest of us? I suggest that it's seen in the fruit it bears. For example: we all show hospitality as we are able, but there are a few people whose homes seem to be a magnet for visitors - not only that, but guests frequently become Christians or have problems sorted out through staying there. They are the ones with the gift of hospitality.

As a general rule, if the Holy Spirit wants to give you a particular gift, He will also send you opportunities to use it. So if you spot the opportunities, don't be afraid to take the appropriate action - and watch to see what the Spirit does through you!

guess what these supposed received gifts produce as fruits now and over the centuries - it is by their fruits and not their supposed gifts that we shall know them - twinc

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Faith

This is not to be confused with the faith in Jesus by which we are saved. The gift of faith is an inspired confidence that God will act in a particular way at a particular time (e.g. to heal), leading us to pray definitively and with conviction for that outcome. This is the faith that can move mountains (Mark 11:22,23).

We can see this gift of faith in action when Paul first preached the Gospel at Lystra. Looking at a cripple on the fringe of his audience, “he saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, ‘Stand up on your feet!’ At that, the man jumped up and began to walk” (Acts 14:8-10).

Sadly, this is one of the most misunderstood of the spiritual gifts, because it is so easy to confuse the longings of our own hearts (which are selfish and deceitful) with the will of God. Many Christians seem to think that a very strong desire on their part (usually for healing) is the same as faith. And that if they are not healed, it is because that desire was not strong enough. (Perhaps this was the mistake the disciples were making when they asked Jesus to ‘increase their faith’ - Luke 17:5) Unfortunately there are also many Christian healers who encourage them in this error (perhaps because it provides them with a convenient excuse for any ‘failures’). But we cannot force the hand of the Spirit in this way. In our understandable eagerness to see Him at work, we must not run ahead of Him.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith

This is not to be confused with the faith in Jesus by which we are saved. The gift of faith is an inspired confidence that God will act in a particular way at a particular time (e.g. to heal), leading us to pray definitively and with conviction for that outcome. This is the faith that can move mountains (Mark 11:22,23).

We can see this gift of faith in action when Paul first preached the Gospel at Lystra. Looking at a cripple on the fringe of his audience, “he saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, ‘Stand up on your feet!’ At that, the man jumped up and began to walk” (Acts 14:8-10).

Sadly, this is one of the most misunderstood of the spiritual gifts, because it is so easy to confuse the longings of our own hearts (which are selfish and deceitful) with the will of God. Many Christians seem to think that a very strong desire on their part (usually for healing) is the same as faith. And that if they are not healed, it is because that desire was not strong enough. (Perhaps this was the mistake the disciples were making when they asked Jesus to ‘increase their faith’ - Luke 17:5) Unfortunately there are also many Christian healers who encourage them in this error (perhaps because it provides them with a convenient excuse for any ‘failures’). But we cannot force the hand of the Spirit in this way. In our understandable eagerness to see Him at work, we must not run ahead of Him.

Do you think a Christian must work at learning how to speak in tongues, or maybe it is a gift like grace?
Another way to say this: if I desire to pray or speak in tongues, will I simply have to ability to do that, or must I "learn" how to do that (such as by a you-tube video)? If it is by grace, then I think I need to do no work to learn it.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think a Christian must work at learning how to speak in tongues, or maybe it is a gift like grace?
Another way to say this: if I desire to pray or speak in tongues, will I simply have to ability to do that, or must I "learn" how to do that (such as by a you-tube video)? If it is by grace, then I think I need to do no work to learn it.

I don't believe that you can 'learn' any gift of the Spirit. If there is some kind of technique that can be taught to anyone, then it isn't a gift, is it? There's nothing supernatural about it.

I wasn't 'taught' to speak in tongues. My first tongue came rising up out of my throat, and I couldn't stop it. The only thing I had to learn was how to relax and just let it come.

Reactions: Helen and tabletalk

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
guess what these supposed received gifts produce as fruits now and over the centuries - it is by their fruits and not their supposed gifts that we shall know them - twinc

twinc,

You seem to have overlooked that poor fruit can be seen in any part of the Christian life, including spiritual gifts. I've heard some poor preachers over the years.

Oz

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Healing and other miracles

When people talk about spiritual gifts, these are the ones we immediately think of - even though they are not the commonest nor even necessarily the most important. There are indeed gifts of healing and other miracles (including exorcisms), and we read many instances in the book of Acts. To give just a few examples: the healing of a crippled beggar by the Temple gateway (Acts 3:1-10), the resurrection of Dorcas (Acts 9:36-42), the blinding of Elymas (Acts 13:9-11), and the deliverance of a slave-girl in Philippi (Acts 16:16-18).

It has to be said that genuine miracles seem to be much less common in our day than during the first few decades of the Church’s history, which is extremely frustrating! The other gifts of the Spirit are still very much in evidence, so why not these? Are we doing something wrong, or lacking in faith? Not necessarily, because these particular gifts were closely associated with the apostles and early evangelists. Paul writes to the Corinthians about “the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles” (II Corinthians 12:12). They are signs that authenticate the Gospel when it is first preached (Hebrew 2:3,4); they become less frequent and dramatic once a church is firmly established. But they do not disappear altogether - and whenever the Gospel is taken into new territory, they re-emerge.

The particular danger with the miraculous gifts is our natural response to them. It is so very easy for a miracle to draw attention to the human agent rather than to Jesus. This actually happened at Lystra, when the local people reacted to the healing of a cripple by attempting to worship Paul and Barnabas as gods (Acts 14:8-13)! In the 21st century, miracle stories sell books and healing ministries generate fame and fortune. Some well-known names have even been tempted to get ‘results’ through deception - which brings the whole charismatic movement into disrepute. This is an area where, above all, we need the gift of discernment; we have to be aware that our hearts are deceitful and our motives seldom pure. What masquerades as a desire for miraculous healing may in fact be an unwillingness to accept suffering as a legitimate part of the Christian journey.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Prophecy

The gift of prophecy enables us to hear and relay personal messages from God. It applies God’s word to the present situation or to a particular individual, for “strengthening, encouragement and comfort” (I Corinthians 14:3). This is a highly valuable gift, and it is not surprising that Paul wanted all the members of the Corinthian church to prophesy (I Corinthians 14:5). Christian prophets feature prominently in the book of Acts: Agabus is the most important of them (Acts 11:27-29; Acts 21:10,11), but there were also the leaders of the church in Antioch (Acts 13:1) and the daughters of Philip the evangelist (Acts 21:8,9).

But what did Paul mean when he wrote that the Church is “built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets” (Ephesians 2:20)? Are prophets as important as apostles, do their words carry the same authority, and were they (like the apostles) confined to the first foundational generation of the Church?

I think that the prophecies of Agabus are instructive here. Luke records them (and the response to them) for our edification; but the prophecies themselves were relevant only to their immediate audience. They are not applicable to the Church as a whole and can in no way be described as foundational. So when Paul was writing his letter to the Ephesians, he was surely not referring to this kind of prophecy but to the prophetic writings that make up what we call the Old Testament. (To the Hebrews, “the Prophets” comprised not only the books that we consider as prophetic, such as Isaiah and Hosea, but also the historical books. Moses and David were also counted as prophets.)

Paul instructed his churches to “weigh carefully” all prophecies (I Corinthians 14:29) - unlike the writings of the apostles, which carried immediate authority. Prophecy must be tested; it should never be accepted uncritically, but should be subject to examination and discussion by the whole church (I Thessalonians 5:20,21). For this gift can be misused to manipulate and gain influence over other people. Anyone can stand up in a meeting and claim to have received a ‘word’ or revelation from God; so how can we know if it is genuine? First of all, it must be consistent with the Biblical revelation that we already have (because God does not contradict Himself). Secondly, since we know that the Spirit’s intention is to build up the Church, it should go without saying that any purported ‘prophecy’ that undermines the faith of another person must be rejected. This does not mean that prophecies have to be bland and soothing - genuine prophecy is deeply challenging (Hebrews 4:12). Through it, the Holy Spirit communicates directly to the heart, awakening the conscience and convicting of the truth.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Words of wisdom and knowledge

Anyone can ask God confidently for wisdom (James 1:5); it is a product of ‘the fear of the Lord’ (Job 28:28). But the spiritual gift of wisdom is slightly different; it is, in fact, a ‘word of wisdom’ (I Corinthians 12:8). This is what the Spirit will give us in order to defend our faith (Luke 21:14,15), or perhaps to settle a dispute (I Kings 3:16-28). This was how Stephen was able to hold his own in debate with unbelieving Jews - “they could not stand up against the wisdom the Spirit gave him as he spoke” (Acts 6:10).

A word of knowledge is something slightly different. It is a supernatural knowledge of the truth of a situation, or of the thoughts in someone’s heart, and it enables the Holy Spirit to use us to convict someone of sin or to expose hypocrisy. A good Biblical example is when Peter confronted Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5:1-5). What they had done was done in secret, and known only to themselves; but Peter’s inspired words made their sin public and pronounced God’s judgement on it.
GINOLJC, to Deborah, good post on the GIFTS. this one should be of great interest to men and women of the gospel, especially "females". you said, "A word of knowledge is something slightly different". this is true, Wisdom, in the right use or exercise of knowledge gives, or produce the fruit of “UNDERSTANDING”. if I speak a word of wisdom unto you, it will produce understanding. 1 Corinthians 12:8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit". do one know what this very first gift on this list is? ......... it's the pastoral gift which is given to apostles, prophets, teachers, bishops, evangelist,....ect. yes the pastoral gifts in wisdom (understanding), and knowledge. Jeremiah 3:15 "And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding (wisdom)". this the the gift of the five fold ministry. Ephesians 4:11 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers". this is how I know that females can be preachers, teachers, and yes PASTORS the body of Christ. Just as the apostle Paul held this gift, as A Pastor, prophet, and teacher. this is a LEADERSHIP gift.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What masquerades as a desire for miraculous healing may in fact be an unwillingness to accept suffering as a legitimate part of the Christian journey.
Do you have scripture for this? Or is it just your thoughts Thanks.