The Gnostics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There seems to be some real confusion over what Gnosticism is, and whether we have some Gnostic members on this forum.

Or maybe it's just another form of character assassination. You can decide.

From https://www.theopedia.com/gnosticism

General beliefs
The following information is taken from Olson, The Story of Christian Theology, p. 37.

Matter or materiality
Gnostics believed that matter, whether it be the physical universe or the humanly body, is evil. It is obvious that there is a great tension between spirit and matter. This effects many of their beliefs and especially the way they perceive(d) the world and God's interactions with it.

God
God is wholly transcendent, that is, he is far removed from his creation. He did not create the material universe because it was instead created by an evil or lesser God, sometimes called a "demiurge". God is thus too perfect and pure to have much to do with the evilness of the material universe.

Humanity
Gnostics believed that human beings were "sparks" or "droplets" of the very same spiritual substance (or essence) that God is. Somehow we we became trapped in our physical bodies from which we are to escape.

The Fall
All Gnostics agreed that The Fall was identical to the fall into matter. In other words, creation and The Fall coincide. "As long as spirits are trapped in physical bodies and materiality, they will be subject to sin, which is caused by ignorance of their true nature and home."

Salvation
Gnosticism commonly held that "salvation is to escape from the bondage of the material existence and travel back to the home from which souls/spirits have fallen." God initiates salvation because he wants to draw back the stray bits and pieces of himself, and so he sends forth an emanation of himself - "a spiritual redeemer" - who comes down from heaven and gives an attempt to teach some of the "divine sparks of Spirit" what their true identity is and where their real home lies. Once they are awakened by this redeemer they can then begin their journey back home. "Salvation is by knowledge - self-knowledge."

I can't think of anyone on this forum who espouses these beliefs. Can you?

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There seems to be some real confusion over what Gnosticism is, and whether we have some Gnostic members on this forum.

There's actually even more to it, but it would be a long discussion. These are indeed a few of the highlights.

As far as members go, Scott A. used to give me the distinct sense his theology bordered on Gnosticism, but I haven't seen him in awhile.

I think the last time he was on he and I went through a discussion, and I told him that no matter how I tried I couldn't embrace the things he believed. Haven't seen him since.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's actually even more to it, but it would be a long discussion. These are indeed a few of the highlights.

As far as members go, Scott A. used to give me the distinct sense his theology bordered on Gnosticism, but I haven't seen him in awhile.

I think the last time he was on he and I went through a discussion, and I told him that no matter how I tried I couldn't embrace the things he believed. Haven't seen him since.
I remember @ScottA explaining some of his ideas to me, that we had no more tangibility than an idea in the mind of God, though in our experience this is all real.

They were some very interesting discussions. And I realized where some of my thinking was falling short. I really appreciated the time he spent with me!

Much love!

Reactions: Angelina

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
the gnostics didnt burn people alive, torture people and go on crusades like the roman Christians. thats another difference.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similar to other heretics like Albigensian’s and many others

Only Christ has authority to build His one true church on Peter and the apostles math 16:18 eph 2:20

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
This topic is about Gnosticism, not Catholicism. Although if it has origins in Catholicism it is unavoidable. Let the overlap be limited to that.

Reactions: Truman

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
the gnostics didnt burn people alive, torture people and go on crusades like the roman Christians. thats another difference.
No they just had wild orgies while they corrupted the Scriptures.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have many meanings for everything
Some for the great un-enlightened
Some for low levels
Some for the adepts
Some for the wise guys
Some for those in the highest degrees

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Are you now claiming rome , after edict of Milan never did those things? Me and every historian on planet earth would disagree.
What's the donation of constantine? I just recently was reading about it . Very interesting, I will post more on it when I get home

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you now claiming rome , after edict of Milan never did those things? Me and every historian on planet earth would disagree.
What's the donation of constantine? I just recently was reading about it . Very interesting, I will post more on it when I get home

Christ is king! Dan 2:44 Lk 1:30-32