The God shaped hole

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God would never put a hole in someone's heart, we must put the hole there. I've got a big hole, but religion never filled it. Praying and studying Gods word never filled it, going to church or doing service never filled it. Nothing in or out of myself or any effort filled it

So what fills that which is seemly empty, no matter what I put in it.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God would never put a hole in someone's heart, we must put the hole there. I've got a big hole, but religion never filled it. Praying and studying Gods word never filled it, going to church or doing service never filled it. Nothing in or out of myself or any effort filled it

I have heard that phrase before. That we all have a God shaped hole in our heart.
It's not a biblical phrase...but there is a message in it.
We ARE all incomplete without God. I do believe He puts a hunger within us.
It may start as a curiosity about the things of God as a child ...but later I think that is where the searching begins. The desire to be complete.

Welcome to the Site.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

ya, hard lesson to learn to be happy with nothing. And if you can't be happy with nothing, all the junk in the world won't help. There is a great cure for this, but. lol

Reactions: Helen and Pisteuo

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

You've described things that anyone playing religion can do, Christian or otherwise. But are you born again? In case your not: To be born again you must recognize that Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave. Then ask him into your heart.

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You've described things that anyone playing religion can do, Christian or otherwise. But are you born again? In case your not: To be born again you must recognize that Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave. Then ask him into your heart.
I don't think the bible describes this method, where is it that I ask Jesus into my heart?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, how did you put the hole there? You said you must know. So, do you?

If you know how you put the hole there, then you should know how to fill it.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

When we are hungry enough and thirsty enough for righteousness we will not open the way [make the hole] so that God can enter into our hearts and fill us.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think the bible describes this method, where is it that I ask Jesus into my heart?

The heart wants what it wants, that's the issue and man is desperately wicked. God is a searcher of a man's heart and will judge a man by what's on the inside.

1 Corinthians 2:10, But God has revealed to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.

Romans 8:27, And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

You ask Him into your heart because it is a heart issue, otherwise, you stand alone.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it a matter of asking him, or inviting him in when he is knocking on our door? Do we not hear him when he is knocking on the door to our heart?

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." Rev 3:20-22

Throughout the gospel says effectively those same words. "He that hath an ear, let him hear".

God is always looking at our hearts. We cannot change our hearts, but God cannot come into us and fix the problem without our invitation. We must open the door and ask Him in...

Reactions: Pisteuo

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Amadeus and Armadillo described gave a few good references there.

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is it a matter of asking him, or inviting him in when he is knocking on our door? Do we not hear him when he is knocking on the door to our heart?

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." Rev 3:20-22

Throughout the gospel says effectively those same words. "He that hath an ear, let him hear".

God is always looking at our hearts. We cannot change our hearts, but God cannot come into us and fix the problem without our invitation. We must open the door and ask Him in...
I don't know, sounds suspect.

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The heart wants what it wants, that's the issue and man is desperately wicked. God is a searcher of a man's heart and will judge a man by what's on the inside.

1 Corinthians 2:10, But God has revealed to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.

Romans 8:27, And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

You ask Him into your heart because it is a heart issue, otherwise, you stand alone.
I don't see where the bible is saying "Ask Jesus into your heart"

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

When we are hungry enough and thirsty enough for righteousness we will not open the way [make the hole] so that God can enter into our hearts and fill us.
It does say God fills our hearts with love, but I've never read in the bible that you need to ask Jesus into your heart to be a believer in him.

Believing is a choice that is a understanding and realization that the God of the bible is the creator. This I think can only be obtained by reading the bible and making comparison's to his invisible qualities in the universe.

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, how did you put the hole there? You said you must know. So, do you?

If you know how you put the hole there, then you should know how to fill it.

Stranger
Yeah I kind of know "Want" because I'm in want. It's my wants that are destroying my soul. But how to stop being in want is a another question.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
It does say God fills our hearts with love, but I've never read in the bible that you need to ask Jesus into your heart to be a believer in him.

Believing is a choice that is a understanding and realization that the God of the bible is the creator. This I think can only be obtained by reading the bible and making comparison's to his invisible qualities in the universe.

Knowledge that is not applied is of no benefit to anyone. Suppose you learn some names for God that have been used over history, and catalog some of the things hes done. Its like how an archaeologist tries to piece together the daily life of times long past by looking at bones and shards of pottery. You can't go back and live in those times and they will never know you exist. My point is knowledge alone is no basis for a relationship.

FizzWizz

Sep 1, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Knowledge that is not applied is of no benefit to anyone. Suppose you learn some names for God that have been used over history, and catalog some of the things hes done. Its like how an archaeologist tries to piece together the daily life of times long past by looking at bones and shards of pottery. You can't go back and live in those times and they will never know you exist. My point is knowledge alone is no basis for a relationship.
I guess that is true, but why do I have to say those magical words "Enter my heart" If the Bible doesn't give directions to do that, why should I do it. Not to say I haven't done that (I have) but it didn't do anything. It didn't activate a true understanding or firm belief in God. Something else must be required to be a true believer, like being born again by Gods doing.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess that is true, but why do I have to say those magical words "Enter my heart" If the Bible doesn't give directions to do that, why should I do it. Not to say I haven't done that (I have) but it didn't do anything. It didn't activate a true understanding or firm belief in God. Something else must be required to be a true believer, like being born again by Gods doing.

"God would never put a hole in someone's heart,..."
Maybe He does.
And maybe He does this, as you said: "...like being born again by Gods doing."