The Gospel of John Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If anyone is interested, I have been leading a Bible Study verse by verse through John's Gospel. We meet every Sunday night at our church but you can listen online as well. Here are the first three messages.

The Word Became Flesh: John 1:1-18 - Reformed Truths

The Lamb of God: John 1:19-34 - Reformed Truths

The Savior Is Calling (John 1:34-51) - Reformed Truths

‎David Taylor Sermon and Teaching Archive on Apple Podcasts
Saved to listen to later... Thanks for posting the links.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are welcome. Feel free to give any feedback you may have.
I just finished listened to the very first one. I did enjoy it although as you might suspect I do not see a few things as you see them. However, to understand where you are I am listening so I plan on listening the next one as well. Your presentation is very good. To my recollection I have never attended a Methodist service.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just finished listened to the very first one. I did enjoy it although as you might suspect I do not see a few things as you see them. However, to understand where you are I am listening so I plan on listening the next one as well. Your presentation is very good. To my recollection I have never attended a Methodist service.
Our church is Methodist in name only.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our church is Methodist in name only.
That word alone, Methodist, has little meaning to me. It's similar to the designation, Baptist. While I have visited a couple of Baptist churches over the years, I still only presume there is some strong belief in them regarding baptism, but I don't know. I try to take people on a one on one basis when I meet them. They may volunteer the name of some church affiliation, but I rarely ask. I really do want to know is the heart of a person. Some people don't want their hearts known... Unlike Jesus I cannot see a person's heart right off. Sometimes never!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only.

I was listening to your take on John 1:1-3. and I have a few comments and questions.

#1. “in the beginning” you said, to be found 10 times in the bible and 4 reference to a reign of a king. 2 in reference to the beginning of a work, and the other 4 are in reference to the beginning of creation. My question to you is this, “what beginning”, at John 1:1 is in reference to? The reign of a king, or of a work, or in reference to creation. Provide the scripture reference please.

#2. you said, that “he is the one” that was “WITH” God in John 1:1b so my question is, “are you saying that, he, who is the one” is a separate PERSON from the one God? If no, please explain. If yes please post the scripture citing this position.

#3. you said, “the Word in verse 3, Made all thing “ through” him, or by him. so who is the one whom he went “through?”. Please give book chapter and verse for that please.

Looking to hear from you soon. Thanks in advance

PICJAG.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#1. “in the beginning” you said, to be found 10 times in the bible and 4 reference to a reign of a king. 2 in reference to the beginning of a work, and the other 4 are in reference to the beginning of creation. My question to you is this, “what beginning”, at John 1:1 is in reference to? The reign of a king, or of a work, or in reference to creation. Provide the scripture reference please.
Good question. It is in reference to the creation. We understand this from the following verses context talking about all things being made through Him.

#2. you said, that “he is the one” that was “WITH” God in John 1:1b so my question is, “are you saying that, he, who is the one” is a separate PERSON from the one God? If no, please explain. If yes please post the scripture citing this position.
Separate person, same God. The Trinity is Father, Son, Spirit. Three persons, one in essence.

#3. you said, “the Word in verse 3, Made all thing “ through” him, or by him. so who is the one whom he went “through?”. Please give book chapter and verse for that please.
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question. It is in reference to the creation. We understand this from the following verses context talking about all things being made through Him.

Separate person, same God. The Trinity is Father, Son, Spirit. Three persons, one in essence.

I'm not sure I understand your question.
GINOLJC, to all.
First, thanks for the reply. Second, you said, "the beginning in John 1:1 was in reference to the creation". we must disagree with that assessment, and here's why. let's go to 1 John 1:1 and lets see what John said. 1 John 1:1-3 "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2 "(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us; 3 "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ".

John was not at the beginning at Genesis 1:1. nor was this beginning, it was the beginning of the gospel, that God came in the flesh to give to us directly. for in time past he had spoken to the father in divers manners. lets prove that, Hosea 12:10 "I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets". but now he speakes to us directly by his Son which is him in flesh as you so graciously pointed out in John 1:14. that similitudes what Hosea 12:10 points out is confirm by the apostle Paul in Romans 5:14 "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come". this figure is the "manifestation of God in flesh.

now knowing this lets see what the son of God came to do. Mark 1:1 "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God". there is that "Beginning John spoke of in John 1:1 and concirm in 1 John 1:1 and romans 5:14b.

so your assessment of John 1:! is incorrect.

NEXT: the was "WITH" God? another ERROR on your part. listen, Isaiah 41:4 "Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he". did you see that "WITH" there. it;s the same person. it's the LORD who is God. and Jesus is the "First" the ROOT, the Beginning, and he the LORD Jesus is the "Last" the OFFSPRING, the end, the same person only "Diversified". how do we know this, because OFFSPRING meand "diversity".
Revelation 22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star".

Offspring: G1085 γένος genos (ǰe'-nos) n.
kin.
{abstract or concrete, literal or figurative, individual or collective}
[from G1096]
KJV: born, country(-man), diversity, generation, kind(-red), nation, offspring, stock
Root(s): G1096

the Son is a "figure, or a similitude of God in flesh, not a "SEPARATE" and distinct person, no, the same person only diversified in flesh. so another error on your Part.

and lastly, the WORD is the LORD of the OT. and he didn't go through anyone. understand the term "by" in John 1:3 and then you will know who the Lord Jesus is. John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made". the word "BY" here is the Greek word, G1223 διά dia (d̮iy-a') prep.
δι- di- (d̮iy-) [shortened prefix]
1. through.
2. throughout.

3. on account of (that thing).
4. (of time) after (i.e. through the fullness of or completion of).
5. (as a prefix) thorough, thoroughly.
{in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional}
[a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act]
KJV: after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) ... fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through(-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general importance
Compare: G575, G1537

Note that second definition, 2. throughout. do you know what throughout means? lets see.
Throughout: in every part of (a place or object).

Similar: all over all round in every part (of) everywhere (in) all through right through here and there (in)
round
meaning that he "made all things" lets see if this backed up by the scriptures themselves.

now lets back this up with scripture, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself".

well, well, well, it was the LORD who is the WORD that "MADE ALL THINGS " ... BY HIMSEF, and he was "ALONE" when he did it. so that just by the scriptures nullified going through anyone. you might wnat to re-examine your take on the book of John chapter 1.

PICJAG.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.
First, thanks for the reply. Second, you said, "the beginning in John 1:1 was in reference to the creation". we must disagree with that assessment, and here's why. let's go to 1 John 1:1 and lets see what John said. 1 John 1:1-3 "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; 2 "(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us; 3 "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ".

John was not at the beginning at Genesis 1:1. nor was this beginning, it was the beginning of the gospel, that God came in the flesh to give to us directly. for in time past he had spoken to the father in divers manners. lets prove that, Hosea 12:10 "I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets". but now he speakes to us directly by his Son which is him in flesh as you so graciously pointed out in John 1:14. that similitudes what Hosea 12:10 points out is confirm by the apostle Paul in Romans 5:14 "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come". this figure is the "manifestation of God in flesh.

now knowing this lets see what the son of God came to do. Mark 1:1 "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God". there is that "Beginning John spoke of in John 1:1 and concirm in 1 John 1:1 and romans 5:14b.

so your assessment of John 1:! is incorrect.

NEXT: the was "WITH" God? another ERROR on your part. listen, Isaiah 41:4 "Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he". did you see that "WITH" there. it;s the same person. it's the LORD who is God. and Jesus is the "First" the ROOT, the Beginning, and he the LORD Jesus is the "Last" the OFFSPRING, the end, the same person only "Diversified". how do we know this, because OFFSPRING meand "diversity".
Revelation 22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star".

Offspring: G1085 γένος genos (ǰe'-nos) n.
kin.
{abstract or concrete, literal or figurative, individual or collective}
[from G1096]
KJV: born, country(-man), diversity, generation, kind(-red), nation, offspring, stock
Root(s): G1096

the Son is a "figure, or a similitude of God in flesh, not a "SEPARATE" and distinct person, no, the same person only diversified in flesh. so another error on your Part.

and lastly, the WORD is the LORD of the OT. and he didn't go through anyone. understand the term "by" in John 1:3 and then you will know who the Lord Jesus is. John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made". the word "BY" here is the Greek word, G1223 διά dia (d̮iy-a') prep.
δι- di- (d̮iy-) [shortened prefix]
1. through.
2. throughout.

3. on account of (that thing).
4. (of time) after (i.e. through the fullness of or completion of).
5. (as a prefix) thorough, thoroughly.
{in very wide applications, local, causal, or occasional}
[a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act]
KJV: after, always, among, at, to avoid, because of (that), briefly, by, for (cause) ... fore, from, in, by occasion of, of, by reason of, for sake, that, thereby, therefore, X though, through(-out), to, wherefore, with (-in). In composition it retains the same general importance
Compare: G575, G1537

Note that second definition, 2. throughout. do you know what throughout means? lets see.
Throughout: in every part of (a place or object).

Similar: all over all round in every part (of) everywhere (in) all through right through here and there (in)
round
meaning that he "made all things" lets see if this backed up by the scriptures themselves.

now lets back this up with scripture, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself".

well, well, well, it was the LORD who is the WORD that "MADE ALL THINGS " ... BY HIMSEF, and he was "ALONE" when he did it. so that just by the scriptures nullified going through anyone. you might wnat to re-examine your take on the book of John chapter 1.

PICJAG.
I'm not going to argue with you on this. You are simply wrong.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the only thing one needs to do is compare John 1:3 with Isaiah 44:24

Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made".

if one can come up with two or more person then you have two "CREATORS", and that's anti bible.

PICJAG.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so we can take this as you have no answer.

PICJAG.
The answer is John 1 and 1 John 1 are not talking about the same beginning. The rest is just nonsense because it was staked on that premise and it was a false premise.

the only thing one needs to do is compare John 1:3 with Isaiah 44:24

Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made".

if one can come up with two or more person then you have two "CREATORS", and that's anti bible.

PICJAG.
Yes God made all things. Jesus IS God. There is no contradiction. God created. Jesus is God.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer is John 1 and 1 John 1 are not talking about the same beginning. The rest is just nonsense because it was staked on that premise and it was a false premise.
1 John 1:1 "That which was from the beginning, (THAT'S GENESIS 1:1),which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (THAT'S AT JOHN 1:1.

1 John 1:2 "(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, (GENESIS 1:1), and was manifested unto us;) JOHN 1:1)

1 John 1:3 "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, (JOHN 1:1), that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

SO YOU'RE INCORRECT AGAIN.

Yes God made all things. Jesus IS God. There is no contradiction. God created. Jesus is God.
Yes, Jesus is God, but not a separate PERSON... :eek: understand he's the "Diversity" of his ownself in flesh. we suggest you study Phil 2:6.

PICJAG,

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is "we"?
just study Phil 2:6 ... o_O

and tell us is the Nature of Jesus is equal that of the Spirit God? yes or no.

PICJAG.

PS by the way did you reconcile John 1:3 and Isaiah 44:24 as to who made "ALL THINGS". is this not the same one Person yes or NO?

PICJAG.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:1 "That which was from the beginning, (THAT'S GENESIS 1:1),which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (THAT'S AT JOHN 1:1.
No, it is talking about the beginning of the Gospel. Not eternity past.