The Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will those that reply please define the Gospel as they see it? According to Paul's definition this is THE GOSPEL.

Rom 1:16-17
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."
NKJV

1 Cor 1:17-18
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

Christ the Power and Wisdom of God (cf. Isa 29:14)

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
NKJV

1 Cor 15:1-5
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you — unless you believed in vain.

I believe that verses 3-4 is THE GOSPEL

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve.
NKJV

Rom 1:16-17-- The Just Live by Faith
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."

NKJV

1 Cor 1:18
18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
NKJV

1 Cor 2:5
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
NKJV

Last edited:
Reactions: charity

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 1:1 "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God".

John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life".

and Paul preached the same gospel as the Lord Jesus. for there is only "ONE" gospel.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Davy and Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understanding that Jesus is the Father is something that will come to people over time, as they continue to study the scriptures and learn what they mean;

but this understanding is not the gospel in itself.

It does have something to do with whether a person has the right Jesus (2 Corinthians 11:3-4).

If someone has the wrong Jesus they may be off concerning what the gospel truly is (they very likely will be off-base on this issue).

I am in agreement that Christ dying for our sins, being buried, and rising from the dead the third day is the gospel.

I also emphasize the Oneness of the Lord in my teaching; while I hold that God Himself is Triune.

You can see more about what I believe on this in the following thread:

Trinity vs. Tritheism

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
New life (of the spiritual kind) by letting go your worldly life. And this in order to find a place in God forever. Why?...because God is love,

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 1:1 "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God".

John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life".

and Paul preached the same gospel as the Lord Jesus. for there is only "ONE" gospel.

PICJAG.

When you say ""THERE IS ONLY ONE GOSPEL" are you saying that there has never been but one or are you saying that NOW there is only one. Please clarify.

I can not find any reference spoken by Jesus as to what He would accomplish on the cross. Please show were I can find it. Show me where He said that believing His shed blood on the cross will save a person.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Gospel = The good news. That Christ, the Son of God, was born, suffered, died for our sins, and raised again. He did so out of love, so that whomever shall believe in Him, shall be raised from death and live, dancing in joy with the Father.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

The gospel existed in various forms since Eden. When God slaughtered an animal to make clothes for Adam and Eve, he illustrated how an innocent victim must die to cover their sins. Born again, Abel would see this truth and offer the same from his flock. Where Cain in his unregenerate state would attempt salvation by works instead. But Job and his friends also saw the truth and did the same as Abel. Hebrews 11 lists the faithful who were born again, having the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

God announced the gospel to Abraham saying that through him he would bless all peoples. Which at a spiritual level would mean full restoration from sin. And the land promises could not support the magnitude of the blessings in the proportions God described, showing why Abraham saw them as symbols of a greater reality. Where he and others looked for a heavenly country instead.

No longer seeing through a glass darkly, the NT lays bare the intricate details of the gospel through Jesus' shed blood and death for sin, his burial and resurrection. Seeing now as we do face to face through the doctrines of sin and grace as revealed through the completed NY canon.

Reactions: Davy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When you say ""THERE IS ONLY ONE GOSPEL" are you saying that there has never been but one or are you saying that NOW there is only one. Please clarify.

I can not find any reference spoken by Jesus as to what He would accomplish on the cross. Please show were I can find it. Show me where He said that believing His shed blood on the cross will save a person.

Exactly. You are not agreeing with Jesus. You have cobbled together a flesh supremacist group based on a misreading of Paul....who will condemn you for it.

The good news of Jesus is according to the kingdom of God that Jesus preached.

We will all be judged by our works....our beliefs count for nothing at all.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. You are not agreeing with Jesus. You have cobbled together a flesh supremacist group based on a misreading of Paul....who will condemn you for it.

The good news of Jesus is according to the kingdom of God that Jesus preached.

We will all be judged by our works....our beliefs count for nothing at all.

Under your gospel people will be judged by their works. Under the gospel of grace that Paul preached Jesus has already paid the price for the sins of all those that believe. But you don't believe it when you say there is a future judgement of the children of God. Your saying that belief counts for nothing is a contradiction as to what the scriptures tell us. Faith, belief, in Jesus' work on the cross is the only way to heaven and you refuse it.

I see you refused to answer the question I asked and it was a simple one. I want ask it again because I see you will not answer it.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I see you refused to answer the question I asked and it was a simple one. I want ask it again because I see you will not answer it.

Jesus came to set us free from the bondage of sin. That's what He accomplished on the cross....and by His resurrection. Now we can walk as He did and do as He taught us.

To suggest that Jesus was just an unknowing participant in a salvation that only Paul would bring the fulness of....is actually heresy at it's most flagrant.

Paul is a witness of the power of God through Christ to all nations. To agree with Paul is to follow Christ in obedience to God's will.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus came to set us free from the bondage of sin. That's what He accomplished on the cross....and by His resurrection. Now we can walk as He did and do as He taught us.

To suggest that Jesus was just an unknowing participant in a salvation that only Paul would bring the fulness of....is actually heresy at it's most flagrant.

Paul is a witness of the power of God through Christ to all nations. To agree with Paul is to follow Christ in obedience to God's will.

John 6:28-29
28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
NKJV

Note that it says "this is the work of God." that you BELIEVE in Him who He sent. It does not say anything else is required. But I am sure you can add the requirement of your works.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 6:28-29
28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
NKJV

Note that it says "this is the work of God." that you BELIEVE in Him who He sent. It does not say anything else is required. But I am sure you can add the requirement of your works.

Then why don't you believe Him? Believing in a misreading of Paul won't save you. You are adding in the making of Jesus into an idol to be venerated instead of simply obeyed.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why don't you believe Him? Believing in a misreading of Paul won't save you. You are adding in the making of Jesus into an idol to be venerated instead of simply obeyed.

LOOK! IF ALL YOU ARE GOING TO DO IS ACCUSE ME OF BEING WRONG THEN I WILL NO LONGER REPLY TO YOU. YOU WISH TO MAKE THESE DISCUSSIONS PERSONAL. YOU THINK YOUR OPINIONS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT ARE TRUE. WHY IS THAT? IT IS BECAUSE OF YOUR PRIDE THAT YOU MUST CRUSH EVERYONE THAT HAS ANOTHER OPINION. YOU ARE NOT GOD. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED YOU ARE NOT A CHILD OF GOD IN CHRIST. YOU WOULD HAVE FIT IN WITH THE PHARISEES BECAUSE YOU DO AS THEY DID..

OTHERS MADE CRITICIZE ME FOR SAYING THAT BUT IT IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT ME PERSONALLY.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LOOK! IF ALL YOU ARE GOING TO DO IS ACCUSE ME OF BEING WRONG THEN I WILL NO LONGER REPLY TO YOU. YOU WISH TO MAKE THESE DISCUSSIONS PERSONAL. YOU THINK YOUR OPINIONS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT ARE TRUE. WHY IS THAT? IT IS BECAUSE OF YOUR PRIDE THAT YOU MUST CRUSH EVERYONE THAT HAS ANOTHER OPINION. YOU ARE NOT GOD. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED YOU ARE NOT A CHILD OF GOD IN CHRIST. YOU WOULD HAVE FIT IN WITH THE PHARISEES BECAUSE YOU DO AS THEY DID..

OTHERS MADE CRITICIZE ME FOR SAYING THAT BUT IT IS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT ME PERSONALLY.

You are misrepresenting the Lord here...and teaching falsehood. I don't expect you to be happy about being exposed as such.

The way of life is narrow and difficult. The wide road leads to death. There is no easy wide road that leads to life. What makes the hard road easy is the grace of God empowering us to do so. That is what the gospel is about. Through Christ we can do all things.

But you see the real workings of God by the Spirit as a false gospel of works...

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not even sure what @Episkopos and @H.Richard are arguing about...

Mr. H believes that God has made a scheme whereby if one puts their carnal faith in Jesus for salvation IN sin....then that's the gospel.

But salvation is away from sin. It is freedom from every bondage. For something like this to be real is offensive to mr. H. He calls this salvation by works....yeah, by the works of God by grace.

Mr. H would have the wages of sin be no longer death...but life.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mr. H believes that God has made a scheme whereby if one puts their carnal faith in Jesus for salvation IN sin....then that's the gospel.

But salvation is away from sin. It is freedom from every bondage. For something like this to be real is offensive to mr. H. He calls this salvation by works....yeah, by the works of God by grace.
Ok, that's your interpretation of @H.Richard's stance, but I don't think he would phrase it as such. I'm really big on "let me make sure I'm understanding what you're saying here is [insert recap]." And then the other person confirming that the recap was accurate before proceeding to discuss that point that is now understood.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok, that's your interpretation of @H.Richard's stance, but I don't think he would phrase it as such. I'm really big on "let me make sure I'm understanding what you're saying here is [insert recap]." And then the other person confirming that the recap was accurate before proceeding to discuss that point that is now understood.

I have a knack of finding out where someone is coming from. When people react violently to the truth...then that is a good indicator.

This false gospel of his has been sown as tares in the field. Some people just can't tell the difference between what brings life and what brings death. I am just bringing warning to that which takes life away from people.