"The Great Assize" - John Wesley

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the "Rapture" fit into the United Methodist realm of beliefs (http://www.umc.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=lwL4KnN1LtH&b=4746357&ct=3007911)?

Methodism has a lot of diverse viewpoints among its churches and members, and so I have no doubts that many pastors and churches are tuning in to this speculative phenomenon. However, it is not central to our approach to discipleship and our theological framework.

Wesley and his spiritual children are not into the future in the kind of rapture/left behind approach. He and we are into the present--living in love toward God and neighbor. Our doctrine focuses on the order of salvation--prevenient grace, justifying grace, sanctifying grace and the assurance of salvation that God gives in trust.

See our Our Doctrinal Standards and General Rules in the Book of Discipline. Go on line and read the sermons of John Wesley. Read especially Wesley's sermon on the Great Assize. This will get you as close as Wesley gets to this type of thinking. But notice that almost all of his sermons have to do with how we live our lives now and how we accept the gift of salvation and live accountably for the grace we have received.

Rev. Dan Benedict
Center for Worship Resourcing
General Board of Discipleship

"The Great Assize" - John Wesley sermon link below

http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umhistory/wesley/sermons/15/

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
I have read/heard many theories on End Time events and none of them seem to fit easily into all Biblical prophecy. It seems to be more theory + Scripture rather than Scripture + reason. I agree that the emphasis should be on how we are living our lives today and what we are doing to be ready to explain our faith if we should be brought before governors and kings to give a witness. But on the other hand, speculation is fun, just as long as our opinions do not cause rifts in our fellowship.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
day said:
I have read/heard many theories on End Time events and none of them seem to fit easily into all Biblical prophecy. It seems to be more theory + Scripture rather than Scripture + reason. I agree that the emphasis should be on how we are living our lives today and what we are doing to be ready to explain our faith if we should be brought before governors and kings to give a witness. But on the other hand, speculation is fun, just as long as our opinions do not cause rifts in our fellowship.
We need a thumbs up smiley!
bth_thumbs_up.gif

BLACK SHEEP

May 24, 2013
day said:
I have read/heard many theories on End Time events and none of them seem to fit easily into all Biblical prophecy.
That's because people try to fit different theories and current events as well as their preconceived ideas into bible prophecy.

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAKING CURRENT EVENTS FIT INTO BIBLE PROPHECY THAN MAKING BIBLE PROPHECY FIT INTO CURRENT EVENTS.
You must first study and understand the prophecy. That narrows down things for you.