The Great Commission ~ Breakdown

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 28:16-20
16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.

Verse 16: (After everything previously). Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee,
to the mountain which Jesus had to them to go.

17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.

Verse 17 : When they came there to the mountain which Jesus told them to go; they worshiped Him; they fell before him, and worshipped out of love, but some doubted.

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Verse 18: Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." So He is there with the eleven disciples telling what authority that has been given to him that the Lord now wields.

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Verse 19: Still talking to his disciples there with Him; listening to what He has to say continues on to them ~ Therefore since all of the authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Go forth now, unto making disciples of all the inhabitants of the land, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

(The nations around at that time period : ethnos: a race, a nation, pl. the nations (as distinct from Isr.) is the word for nations.)
Strong's Greek: 1484. ἔθνος (ethnos) -- a race, a nation, pl. the nations (as distinct from Isr.)

20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Verse 20: Still talking to his disciples; He told them to go on to teach them to obey ; everything that was commanded unto the Disciples who had been with Jesus Christ for the past three years during his ministry. And that He will and is with them always, to the very end of the age. (The ending of the age of their generation.) ~ Death

This is one of the most used text when it comes to doing mission trips and whatever, personally believe that the truth is plain in the text, as far as whom is being spoken to very explicitly.

~~ Extra text Commentary on Gentiles, and the greatest commandments.
Also : Gentiles never received the law to follow: Only the the Chosen Nation of God which was Israel was given the commandments by Moses ( I believe; correct if wrong). The Gentile - Greeks did not receive the law I believe according to the scriptures you might have to fact check me on that because it is possible for me to be wrong sometimes. When it comes down to commandments ; the only two commandments given by and from the Lord Jesus Christ which are the greatest is to Love God with all your of mind, all of your heart, all of your strength, all of your soul, and to Love others as yourself is fulfilling the law of Christ ~ Which is to have faith and to love.

Thank you for reading and hope that you found informative and helpful you take care.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.

Verse 16: (After everything previously). Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee,

Verse 17 : When they came there to the mountain which Jesus told them to go; they worshiped Him; they fell before him, and worshipped out of love, but some doubted.

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Verse 18: Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." So He is there with the eleven disciples telling what authority that has been given to him that the Lord now wields.

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Verse 19: Still talking to his disciples there with Him; listening to what He has to say continues on to them ~ Therefore since all of the authority in heaven and earth has been given to me. Go forth now, unto making disciples of all the inhabitants of the land, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

(The nations around at that time period : ethnos: a race, a nation, pl. the nations (as distinct from Isr.) is the word for nations.)
Strong's Greek: 1484. ἔθνος (ethnos) -- a race, a nation, pl. the nations (as distinct from Isr.)

20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Verse 20: Still talking to his disciples; He told them to go on to teach them to obey ; everything that was commanded unto the Disciples who had been with Jesus Christ for the past three years during his ministry. And that He will and is with them always, to the very end of the age. (The ending of the age of their generation.) ~ Death

This is one of the most used text when it comes to doing mission trips and whatever, personally believe that the truth is plain in the text, as far as whom is being spoken to very explicitly.

Also : Gentiles never received the law to follow: Only the the Chosen Nation of God which was Israel was given the commandments by Moses ( I believe; correct if wrong). The Gentile - Greeks did not receive the law I believe according to the scriptures you might have to fact check me on that because it is possible for me to be wrong sometimes. When it comes down to commandments ; the only two commandments given by and from the Lord Jesus Christ which are the greatest is to Love God with all your of mind, all of your heart, all of your strength, all of your soul, and to Love others as yourself is fulfilling the law of Christ ~ Which is to have faith and to love.

Thank you for reading and hope that you found informative and helpful you take care.
The apostles did well. The spread of Christianity after the ascension of Christ is a marvellous testimony to the effectual commitment of both the sender and the sent.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen Matt. That commission is still going, but we are nearing it's completion. The Good news of the Kingdom has almost been preached to the ends of the earth sir Mat 24:14

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen Matt. That commission is still going, but we are nearing it's completion. The Good news of the Kingdom has almost been preached to the ends of the earth sir Mat 24:14
In America (USA), we hear the “Good News” often (both true and false ‘gospels’) but there is really very little effort at “making disciples” of those that accept the Good News. How did Jesus teach His disciples how to live and spread the message … was it a 6 week class and send them out to learn on their own by trial and error? How did Paul and Barnabas teach Timothy and Mark? How did the early disciples learn from the Apostles in Jerusalem? How did the ECF learn from the Apostle John?

Where is the effort of the church to invest in the lives of the next generation by experientially passing on knowledge … an act called “discipleship”?

(We have reserved it for “professional Christians” and the Body of Christ suffers for it.)
YMMV.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Robert Gwin I believe that is important to teach people the truth about when it comes down to Christianity. Because the truth is so important and there is so much lack of truth these days; it has made me personally fed up with it. I would like to be able to help and encourage others to seek God and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ and really pay attention to what is being said. It is such a good structure (even though I only took what I wanted here and expounded on them further) ; to go from Chapter 1; on ward yet also at the same time slow enough to digest every thing that is being spoken about. Thank you for your comment, (I believe that Christian believers are saved to the Kingdom of Heaven) so as believer we just teach... to anyone who is willingly to listen and consider what is being said all by living in spirit and truth in worshiping towards our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hello @atpollard; thank you for your comment; In my life been in and out of churches and finally found someone at the age of 26; that set me for a crash landing of the Lord Jesus Christ resting and settling in my heart at this point in my life and desire to walk in the light; and let God to work in and through me by the spirit of Christ; and it is suffering to some extent. Though what I can say suffering for Christ Jesus is a real lesson that is taught in the bible so as a believer there are so many people out there who are suffering in the same affliction and all we can do is continue to towards Gods will; and trust and follow the Lord Jesus Christ.

Here is a scripture would like to share: 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 (NASB1995)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.

Reactions: soul man

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And what is your point?

Reactions: MatthewG

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In America (USA), we hear the “Good News” often (both true and false ‘gospels’) but there is really very little effort at “making disciples” of those that accept the Good News. How did Jesus teach His disciples how to live and spread the message … was it a 6 week class and send them out to learn on their own by trial and error? How did Paul and Barnabas teach Timothy and Mark? How did the early disciples learn from the Apostles in Jerusalem? How did the ECF learn from the Apostle John?

Where is the effort of the church to invest in the lives of the next generation by experientially passing on knowledge … an act called “discipleship”?

(We have reserved it for “professional Christians” and the Body of Christ suffers for it.)
YMMV.

We have personal Bible studies with each and every one we baptize AT, they have 3 sessions of questions with 2 elders, meeting with 6 different elders total to make sure they understand the faith when they request baptism. Isa 2:2-4 shows they will be taught how to follow God's ways.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello marksman;

Teach people the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ to others.
Most are to self centered to see that Jesus came for the lost house of Israel... to seek and save that which was lost. I couldn’t agree more that the great commission was given only to those standing before him. Maybe a brief study on the nations of Israel is in order?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Waiting on Him,

I would agree with you what you saying; Jesus Christ came to save the lost sheep of Israel; He also spoke to His disciples to go out and do the same thing. Would also suggest however that is important to grow in knowledge of learning of God and the Lord Jesus Christ; in growing the spiritual inner man with-in because it is important. It is wonderful to be thankful to an awe-inspiring God who loved the world; so much that He gave his only begotten Son; who came and paid a penalty none of us could ever take at all.

To teach what was taught; is to me is to worship in and spirit and in truth; though not everyone desires to seek and learn and know truth.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christophany that is an off-topic question. But no, I am not, am a Christian believer of the Lord Jesus Christ, and His Father our God, who was His God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the point of this?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostles did well. The spread of Christianity after the ascension of Christ is a marvellous testimony to the effectual commitment of both the sender and the sent.

the command was not to go and reach th elost!

Teh command was to go and make disciples (mathetes- learners). Step one of that process is to lead someone to christ!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
the command was not to go and reach th elost!

Teh command was to go and make disciples (mathetes- learners). Step one of that process is to lead someone to christ!
Spreading The Gospel With Confidence.

Act 28:30-31 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, (31) Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.