The Great Historic Revivals and What Triggered Them

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church's greatest need is for a genuine national revival. Most Christians believe they long for a revival, but they show by their actions that actually don't. If they did, they'd have a passionate longing to know how historical revivals come, but in my experience, very few believers are interested enough to thoroughly research the matter. The videos I'm going to post on this thread have had a greater impact on me than any other online videos. Just watch this one on the great Welsh Revival of 1904-05 to see what happens when the Holy Spirit is unleashed to a greater degree than most of us have ever witnessed:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE1F161A7FC37C579266EE1F161A7FC37C5&FORM=VIRE

Reactions: Helen

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Welsh Revival of 1904-05 soon spread in 1906-08 to Azusa Street in Los Angeles, the place where global Pentecostalism was birthed--a revival that has led to 600 million converts. The spearhead of the revival is the most spiritually effective African American of all time, William Seymour; and yet, due to racism, most modern Christians have never heard of him, including myself in all the time I attended a large Canadian Pentecostal church! If you hunger for more of God and want to learn from one of the most effective prayer warriors ever, then you need to watch this excellent documentary and understand the astounding event that triggered a tidal wave resulting in 1/4 of the world's Christians being Pentecostal or Charismatic:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...45B6BE51A88D862B614E45B6BE51A88D862&FORM=VIRE

The initial phase of this revival flourished among Black seekers. Here is a testimony of the only known survivors who experiences miracles at Azusa Street:
azusa street survivors testimony - Bing video

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think what gets lost in the mix is the baptism in the Holy Spirit. A revival is when the essence of power from heaven becomes a necessity. Jesus told His disciples to "tarry until you receive power from above". So then the church vitally needs the baptism in the Spirit. I'm not speaking here of manifestations...but the life that comes from putting ON Christ.

Do people wait for power from heaven for anointing, for an intimate walk with God before going out to minister?

Of course when the Lord steps up the game so does the devil. That's usually what quenches the revival.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The church's greatest need is for a genuine national revival. Most Christians believe they long for a revival, but they show by their actions that actually don't. If they did, they'd have a passionate longing to know how historical revivals come, but in my experience, very few believers are interested enough to thoroughly research the matter. The videos I'm going to post on this thread have had a greater impact on me than any other online videos. Just watch this one on the great Welsh Revival of 1904-05 to see what happens when the Holy Spirit is unleashed to a greater degree than most of us have ever witnessed:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE1F161A7FC37C579266EE1F161A7FC37C5&FORM=VIRE

The best book I've read on revival is:- Revival, a people saturated with God, find it @
Revival! a People Saturated With God

It's a review of revivals through history without the uisual charismatic/anti charismatic slants and it contains interviews with people who were in the 1904 welch, and the 1950 isle of lewes revivals.

The challenge of the book is that often people committed themselves to pray. To pray regularly and to continue meeting regularly to pray for rvival for years untill it came.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please look up and watch the 'Asbury College Revival' of 1970. It is the revival during the drug, sex, and revolution against authority days. And many became believers out of it. It produced then what many called the Jesus Freaks. It is a real blessing to watch.

Stranger

D

Dave L

The Welsh Revival of 1904-05 soon spread in 1906-08 to Azusa Street in Los Angeles, the place where global Pentecostalism was birthed--a revival that has led to 600 million converts. The spearhead of the revival is the most spiritually effective African American of all time, William Seymour; and yet, due to racism, most modern Christians have never heard of him, including myself in all the time I attended a large Canadian Pentecostal church! If you hunger for more of God and want to learn from one of the most effective prayer warriors ever, then you need to watch this excellent documentary and understand the astounding event that triggered a tidal wave resulting in 1/4 of the world's Christians being Pentecostal or Charismatic:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...45B6BE51A88D862B614E45B6BE51A88D862&FORM=VIRE

The initial phase of this revival flourished among Black seekers. Here is a testimony of the only known survivors who experiences miracles at Azusa Street:
azusa street survivors testimony - Bing video
But according to scripture, this was not a move of the Holy Spirit. If it was, it would include the church and not just a few questionable sects

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what gets lost in the mix is the baptism in the Holy Spirit. A revival is when the essence of power from heaven becomes a necessity. Jesus told His disciples to "tarry until you receive power from above". So then the church vitally needs the baptism in the Spirit. I'm not speaking here of manifestations...but the life that comes from putting ON Christ.

Do people wait for power from heaven for anointing, for an intimate walk with God before going out to minister?

Of course when the Lord steps up the game so does the devil. That's usually what quenches the revival.

When one is born again there baptized in the Holy Spirit. If they are not, they are not true Church.

Reactions: Dave L

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But according to scripture, this was not a move of the Holy Spirit. If it was, it would include the church and not just a few questionable sects

According to what Scripture?

Stranger

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My experience of posting on Christian internet sites has confirmed just how closed-minded anti-Charismatics like Dave truly are. His ludicrous reference to "a few questionable sects" at Azusa Street demonstrates that, as usual, he lacks the intellectual integrity to even watch the videos he rejects, videos that ironically decisively refute his claims. The documentary describe how Baptists longing for revival flocked to Azusa Street! Presbyterians, Quakers, and Catholics were also among the denominationally diverse attendees:

www.religionfacts.com/azusa-street-revival

Later eyewitness testimonies reported tongues of fire hovering over the seekers present. Outside observers reported large tongues of fire surging upwards into the 2nd floor and called the fire department! The 2nd floor was full of crutches discarded by the many who have been healed. I was particularly moved by the Hispanic Catholic boy's testimony about seeing a blind lady explode with praise as she received the gift of sight!

D

Dave L

My experience of posting on Christian internet sites has confirmed just how closed-minded anti-Charismatics like Dave truly are. His ludicrous reference to "a few questionable sects" at Azusa Street demonstrates that, as usual, he lacks the intellectual integrity to even watch the videos he rejects, videos that ironically decisively refute his claims. The documentary describe how Baptists longing for revival flocked to Azusa Street! Presbyterians, Quakers, and Catholics were also among the denominationally diverse attendees:

Later eyewitness testimonies reported tongues of fire hovering over the seekers present. Outside observers reported large tongues of fire surging upwards into the 2nd floor and called the fire department! The 2nd floor was full of crutches discarded by the many who have been healed. I was particularly moved by the Hispanic Catholic boy's testimony about seeing a blind lady explode with praise as she received the gift of sight!
It's all hearsay without any scripture support. You cannot claim "Pentecostal" rights to the the prayer of faith. I had a Baptist friend whose daughter grew new bone that closed a hole in her skull as a result prayer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I studied it. Main participants came out of mysticism, spiritualism and a lot of paganism.

The 1904 revival is a fasinating subjuct one of the few where there is demonstratable results, like the police report published prior to 1904 there were 10,00 arrest for drunkeness after the revival those same arrests are reported to number 4k.

Reactions: Dave L

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You refer to the "church" as if it were a group readily recognized by even the unbelievers all around us. The "Church" is the Body of Christ which is the group of people actually in subjection to the Head which is Jesus without regard for any specific physical connection they may or may nor have to one of the physical groups commonly called churches. Some in these "churches" may be part of the Body but many others probably are not. Let God separate them when it is proper to do so... Let God identify His Church when the need is proper according to Him.

To recognize a move of the Holy Spirit is not according to some prescribed doctrine or set of doctrines defined by a man or men, but according to the discernment given to any man by the Holy Spirit within him.

Reactions: Truth and Helen
D

Dave L

You refer to the "church" as if it were a group readily recognized by even the unbelievers all around us. The "Church" is the Body of Christ which is the group of people actually in subjection to the Head which is Jesus without regard for any specific physical connection they may or may nor have to one of the physical groups commonly called churches. Some in these "churches" may be part of the Body but many others probably are not. Let God separate them when it is proper to do so... Let God identify His Church when the need is proper according to Him.

To recognize a move of the Holy Spirit is not according to some prescribed doctrine or set of doctrines defined by a man or men, but according to the discernment given to any man by the Holy Spirit within him.
But we do not see the gifts continuing throughout Christendom after the first century. Hearsay accounts about a few obscure and questionable sects having them are not reliable.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's all hearsay without any scripture support. You cannot claim "Pentecostal" rights to the the prayer of faith. I had a Baptist friend whose daughter grew new bone that closed a hole in her skull as a result prayer.

Yet you offer no Scripture to support your statement in post #(6).

A revival of God can be and has been geographical in nature. The results of it spread out of course over many years. But the immediate revival was targeted in a central area.

Stranger

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we do not see the gifts continuing throughout Christendom after the first century. Hearsay accounts about a few obscure and questionable sects having them are not reliable.
We were not there, neither one of us in the 1st century, my friend, so what is not hearsay for us other than what God has written in our hearts? My personal experience with God is not obscure nor is it questionable by me. Rather it is my testimony. I won't throw out my testimony because according to you or even me it might not survive the scrutiny of an even fairly rendered application of the scientific method. [Is there such a thing?] I do strive to always live by faith in God rather than by trust in men and in the ways of men.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Being charismatic is not the same as being Pentecost.

I've studied the Azusa Street!
So-called revival. The chief attendance were spiritists, mystics and other non-Christian beliefs and practices.

It was not a Christian revival.

Just look at what we got from it: word of faith, name it and claim it, health wealth and prosperity and other cult groups.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I would agree. The "Toronto Blessing" started as the spark of revival at the Toronto Airport Vineyard. I know several individuals who were saved through that ministry. But then it started to gain in wealth and power and became the Toronto Blessing which was full of many things that were bizarre and un-spiritual. There was less and less of Bible-truth and more and more fleshliness expressed. Many vibrant Christians quit going in disgust. Satan is a wily devil and knows human weakness well.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being charismatic is not the same as being Pentecost.

CoreIssue: "I've studied the Azusa Street! So-called revival."
No, you haven't even watched the posted documentary. If you had, the biased screed you've gleaned from ghastly Fundamentalist sources would be corrected.

"CpreIssue: "The chief attendance were spiritists, mystics and other non-Christian beliefs and practices.
It was not a Christian revival."
If you were honest enough to watch the video, you would know that William Seymour urged attendees not to go out and talk to outsiders about speaking in tongues, but rather to go out and witness to the saving power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ! And you would realize the major role played by Baptists in that revival.

JcoreIssue: "Just look at what we got from it: word of faith, name it and claim it, health wealth and prosperity and other cult groups."
On the contrary, :what we got from it" is the greatest spiritual fruit in world history--600 million Pentecostal and Charismatic Christians. True, the revival didn't just peter out; what killed the revival was doctrinal bickering, some of it heretical. But the revival also restored the Holy Spirit to His essential role in the Church. Consider what killed the great Welsh Revival. Self-righteous evangelical pastors criticized Evan Roberts for allowing occasional excesses of the flesh. Being emotionally unstable, he could not handle this unfair criticism, and so, he withdrew from society to live in isolation. What would be most shocking in both the Welsh and Azusa Street Revivals would be if Satan didn't try to disrupt, sabotage, and counterfeit 2 of the greatest moves of the Spirit in Christin history. All--yes, all sinners, were welcome and the services were unplanned and unstructured because they were led by the Spirit. critics like you are unwittingly in danger of blaspheming against the Holy Spirit.