The Greatest Example Of Forgiveness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gregjgordon

May 30, 2015
Canada
greggordon.home.blog
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
facebook2.jpg

But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. – Matthew 6:15

Lesson of Forgiveness

Sometimes the lesson of forgiveness can only be obtained through being the recipient of someone not being willing to forgive you. If we have been hurt in our past by someone we can be those who will not forgive others who hurt us.

When we do not release others we end up not releasing ourselves. Even physical ailments can be a result of this pent up hurt and unforgiveness that manifests itself in bitterness, envy, resentment and even anger. For a Christian to hold onto any grudge or anger towards someone in the body of Christ affects not just themselves but others are defiled by their sin. It is not only a sin to not forgive but as we do this we enter into the strategy of satan because the demonic world is a world of unforgiveness. Not offering forgiveness is to not offer the love of Christ to another believer.

We have received unmerited grace and forgiveness but then we say to someone “I will not forgive you,” we are doing what is opposite than Christ. When we do not forgive we show that we do not love Jesus because if we love him we will obey his commands. And his command is to forgive all.

Jesus Suffered On the Cross

Jesus on the cross suffered for your sins and he forgave you, he offered you this forgiveness and when we accept it, we become Christians. Jesus the Son of God on the cross was mocked, ridiculed and given a sponge with vinegar that some argue was used for cleaning in the washroom of Romans. If anyone had the right to be unforgiving, vengeful, angry and seek justice it would have been Jesus. But what is the reaction, he says “Forgive them.”

He says to God the Father please do not hold these things against those who have hurt me so much. Please not only that please put their punishment on me so that they can be set free. We can share in the heart of Jesus that through our pains and hurts we can be able to help set others free through bearing the hurt with the love of Jesus Christ. Does this excuse sin? No, but it does allow healing and help for those who sin and we become more like the character of God towards others. In the light of sins against Jesus Christ, the sins others do to us are very little.

The teaching of Jesus even goes further that if we do not release and forgive others, God will not forgive our sins or hold some of them against us. Lord, help me to forgive and fully release others as we all stand by your grace. Amen.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
greggordon

Not all wrongs done to us as believers are done by other believers. What of those?

We don't become become Christians because we accept this 'forgiveness' We become Christian because we believe on Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour.

The demonic world is a world of 'deception'. Not 'unforgiveness'.

Jesus Christ will be vengeful, and angry and will bring justice. Just at the appointed time. What of that Christ?

What do you mean that God 'will hold some of them agaisnt us"?

With respect, your theology is an old hens theology. Just love and forgive. Nauseating when you know the truth.

Are you a vegetarian also? Don't hurt the animals?

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
yikes, Stranger, what will you do when confronted with "I came not to condemn," one has to wonder. I suggest that being surrounded by love when you hold so much condemnation might be a great illustration of hell, as "heap burning coals on their heads" suggests. Are you weeping, and gnashing your teeth?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
greggordon said:
facebook2.jpg

But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. – Matthew 6:15

Lesson of Forgiveness

Sometimes the lesson of forgiveness can only be obtained through being the recipient of someone not being willing to forgive you. If we have been hurt in our past by someone we can be those who will not forgive others who hurt us.

When we do not release others we end up not releasing ourselves. Even physical ailments can be a result of this pent up hurt and unforgiveness that manifests itself in bitterness, envy, resentment and even anger. For a Christian to hold onto any grudge or anger towards someone in the body of Christ affects not just themselves but others are defiled by their sin. It is not only a sin to not forgive but as we do this we enter into the strategy of satan because the demonic world is a world of unforgiveness. Not offering forgiveness is to not offer the love of Christ to another believer.

We have received unmerited grace and forgiveness but then we say to someone “I will not forgive you,” we are doing what is opposite than Christ. When we do not forgive we show that we do not love Jesus because if we love him we will obey his commands. And his command is to forgive all.

Jesus Suffered On the Cross

Jesus on the cross suffered for your sins and he forgave you, he offered you this forgiveness and when we accept it, we become Christians. Jesus the Son of God on the cross was mocked, ridiculed and given a sponge with vinegar that some argue was used for cleaning in the washroom of Romans. If anyone had the right to be unforgiving, vengeful, angry and seek justice it would have been Jesus. But what is the reaction, he says “Forgive them.”

He says to God the Father please do not hold these things against those who have hurt me so much. Please not only that please put their punishment on me so that they can be set free. We can share in the heart of Jesus that through our pains and hurts we can be able to help set others free through bearing the hurt with the love of Jesus Christ. Does this excuse sin? No, but it does allow healing and help for those who sin and we become more like the character of God towards others. In the light of sins against Jesus Christ, the sins others do to us are very little.

The teaching of Jesus even goes further that if we do not release and forgive others, God will not forgive our sins or hold some of them against us. Lord, help me to forgive and fully release others as we all stand by your grace. Amen.

How true! Great post. Thank you for sharing. Unforgiveness can be self- imprisonment.

I have this test I do to help realize areas of unforgiveness. It may sound strange using Luke 14: 8-11 but it works in revealing some ugly truth hidden in my heart.

“When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him; And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room. But when thou are bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee. For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased: and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.”

The highest room. The honorable seat. ​Who would it bother you to put in the highest room while you take the lower seat? Who is it that you see as unworthy to be put in the highest room? It is easy to give up the highest seat to a stranger that has not hurt or harmed us. Giving up the highest seat to a stranger; someone in need is heroic, selfless, admirable. But think of the one person in your life that has hurt you deeply. Someone unworthy in your opinion. Whoever you are picturing right now. Whoever it would irk you to see take the highest seat… That is the person you need to ask God to help you forgive.

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stranger said:
greggordon

Not all wrongs done to us as believers are done by other believers. What of those?

We don't become become Christians because we accept this 'forgiveness' We become Christian because we believe on Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour.

The demonic world is a world of 'deception'. Not 'unforgiveness'.

Jesus Christ will be vengeful, and angry and will bring justice. Just at the appointed time. What of that Christ?

What do you mean that God 'will hold some of them agaisnt us"?

With respect, your theology is an old hens theology. Just love and forgive. Nauseating when you know the truth.

Are you a vegetarian also? Don't hurt the animals?

Stranger
[SIZE=10.5pt]Stranger:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]First let me say that I always value your comments; in response to my questions or in response to others. There is a way in which you see the things of this world and the way you understand God’s Word that is raw and real and you never shy away from speaking truth. I appreciate that you care more for what God thinks than what others think. But I must agree that this comment is harsh and unwarranted. I understand that Christ will come in Judgment of the wicked and tread the winepress alone in His fury. I understand we can’t water down the truth of what God's word says is going to happen. Still, I ask you to consider:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt](James 3) “My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Christ is a warrior, true. Christ will judge those that have done wrong to His, true. But this is what I struggle the most with: Who will go into the lake of fire when Ephesians 6:12 says “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Scriptures says I should not question God on why He fashions a thing to be a certain way. Or why He creates a vessel for dishonor. But if I... being evil...can experience these thoughts of pity on those destined for the lake of fire , how much more can God... being good, righteous and the very definition of love and all that is just... have even more compassion for those destined for the lake of fire? Does that make sense? Do we war against flesh and blood? Or do we war against spiritual wickedness in high places???[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VictoryinJesus

I receive your words as a 'good word in season'. Yes, to tame the tongue is an ever on-going battle in this life. And I need to be reminded of this at times. Thanks. I will say that I am doing quite better than I used to. But I always need to improve.

We most definitely war against spiritual wickedness in high places. But, that spiritual warfare is played out in flesh and blood also. It is not that we should ignore the flesh and blood. We must recognize that behind the flesh and blood is a spiritual motivation. A spiritual empowerment. Either of God or the Devil. And that is what the Christian sees, or should see.

For example: Voting. Is not the Spirit realm interested in who comes to power over nations, states, counties, and cities? If one is a Christian or favors Christianity, and the other is an atheistic liberal, who do you think the Devil and his angelic host want to come to power? Thus, our vote becomes important in the spiritual realm. But our vote is a very flesh and blood action which we recognize has spiritual ramifications, because we recognize that we do not wrestle with flesh and blood.

Yes, how much more God does show mercy and forgiveness. And He has showed it in the sacrifice of Christ. And to we who are believers, we came seeking that forgiveness and eternal life He so graciously offers to us. But not all are believers. And though He knows who they are, we don't. How much compassion will He have when they are placed into the lake of fire? His compassion has been revealed in Christ. On those who reject Him, He has no compassion. Of course that doesn't mean you should't have compassion because, as I said, you don't know who are His and who are not. You reach out to all with the gospel. I don't think I answered your question but maybe it's a start.

God can be very hard. He is always correct and righteous in all that He does. And behind what He does is love, always. I have often thought, I could not put my children through what God puts His children through. I wouldn't and couldn't do it. Much less have to watch it. It's a good thing He is God and always does righteously.

Stranger

Reactions: tabletalk

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
funny to me how many are drawn to this pov of a vengeful God, and an angry Christ; the perspectives of the dispensation of Law, the OT, still alive and well. It is even entertainment for us; Charles Bronson movies, cop shows, etc, all focusing on Righteous Retribution, with a little Grace sprinkled on top. See we want to be able to say Grace, and say Amen, but would also like to spit some Beechnut in that dude's eye, and shoot him with a 45. And our church model is no different; in fact, it leads the way in this perspective, speaking generally at least, of the old model, that we see now melting away.

The greatest shame you will endure in Eternity is the shame of not having found Grace when you are surrounded by It; of believing you have a better idea, fig leaves, when God asks you 'who told you that you were naked,' because it was not Him. See that the animal skins were not made because God needed them to cover you, or suffer some vengeance; as far as God is concerned, you didn't even need the fig leaves. It was you that changed, not God. See what this does to your current model of salvation, when you follow the symbology there out to the end.

So salvation is in a sense about losing the fig leaves, not about getting better ones, or even a Perfect Covering; precisely because "God" will "hold your unrepented sins against you," and that Covering does not apply--like you hope it will--to unconfessed sins, which arise from, are = to, areas of unforgiveness toward others. Just like the fig leaf did not work, Christ will not avail you any either, if you cannot accept Grace.

See that God is not vengeful, or holding things against you at all, in a sense; there is no "angry" Christ. Forgive people, of everything, and you are going to be forgiven of everything. Hold one little thing against one person, or refuse to rebound (repent) from one little thing, and you are just making fig leaves, that will not serve you when you stand naked, in the manner of a little child.

See how you might be frozen in place by this, by all the little things other people tell you are "sins"--even though they are not harmed by them, and they are not even complaining, per se--they are just "helping you," right, but then, when someone does object to something, you have a ready justification instead of an apology, and when someone offers you forgiveness you maybe don't accept it, because you have justified that you don't need it. See, little kids mess up all the time, but they don't do this.

We hold a concept of a vengeful God Whose vengeance is, naturally, directed away from ourselves, because we have sewn some fig leaves together, and expect that to cover us with Grace, rather than do what the Book says, which is confess our sins to each other. And Christ is often worshipped the same way; "i'll just confess my sins in prayer, and rely on Jesus to cover me." Not gonna happen, because you are going to be forgiven alright, but you are not going to be able to accept the forgiveness. See, God didn't tell A&E "You don't need those fig leaves," because of course they did; even though God did not, which is what they believed. That would have been pointless iow.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
See how anticipating an angry Christ, Whose anger is, by intimation, directed at others--because of course we can justify ourselves, right--is digging a pit, that you are going to end up falling in yourself.