The heart

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pet

Sep 13, 2020
Conwy
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United Kingdom

Matthew 13:15
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

The parable of the sower is plain. The seed sown is The Word of God. The sower is our Lord Jesus Christ, by Himself, or by His ministers.
Preaching to a multitude is sowing seed; we know not where it will land. Some sort of ground, though we take ever so much pains with it, brings forth no fruit to purpose, while the good soil brings forth plentifully.
So it is with the hearts of men, whose different characters are here described by four types of ground.
1. Careless, trifling hearers, are an easy prey to Satan; who, as he is the great murderer of souls, so he is the great thief of sermons, and will be sure to rob us of the word, if we take not care to keep it.
2. Hypocrites, like the stony ground, often get the start of true Christians in the shows of profession. Many are glad to hear a good sermon, but do not profit by it. They are told of free salvation, grace, believer's privileges, and the happiness of heaven; and, without any change of heart, without any abiding conviction of their own depravity, their need of The Saviour, or the excellence of holiness, they soon profess an unwarranted assurance.
But when some heavy trial threatens them, or some sinful advantage may be had, they give up or disguise their profession, or turn to some easier system.
3. Worldly cares are fitly compared to thorns, for they came in with sin, and are a fruit of the curse; they are good in their place to stop a gap, but a man must be well armed that has much to do with them; they are entangling, vexing, scratching, and their end is to be burned, Heb 6:8.
Worldly cares are great hinderances to our profiting by the word of God. The deceitfulness of riches does the mischief; they cannot be said to deceive us unless we put our trust in them, then they choke the good seed. What distinguished the good ground was fruitfulness. By this true Christians are distinguished from hypocrites.
4. Christ does not say that this good ground has no stones in it, or thorns; but none that could hinder its fruitfulness. All are not alike; we should aim at the highest, to bring forth most fruit. The sense of hearing cannot be better employed than in hearing God's word; and let us look to ourselves that we may know what sort of hearers we are. (Henry comm)

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The seed in the parable is:

-> the word of the kingdom (Matthew 13:19)
-> the word (Mark 4:14)
-> the word of God (Luke 8:11)

The word of the kingdom = the word = the word of God.

”But he said to them, ‘I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose.’” (Luke 4:43)

The seed is the teaching and preaching of Jesus concerning the kingdom of God / the kingdom of heaven.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I was raised Southern Baptist and Billy Graham was our mouthpiece to the world. Attending a Billy Graham Crusade in Louisville with my Church youth group was one of the highlights of my youth. I remember him speaking like it was yesterday.

I didn’t know then what Jesus said in Luke 4:43.

I knew what Dr. Graham said: “Jesus came to do three days work, to die, be buried and raised.”

I think about that trip from time to time and remember it fondly, but I regret that I didn’t know then what I know now about what Jesus said he came to do.