The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
There is a very disturbing trend in the Christian family today, even more disturbing than our prominent inability to get along. When we read the Book of The Acts of The Apostles we see that the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Holy Trinity, descended upon them. As we read the letters we also see that when Gentiles were saved, the Spirit descended upon them also. And as a Christian Teacher in a Southern Baptist Church, I know and I teach that when a man or a woman are saved, they are indwelt by the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit.

I have had folks, proclaiming to be saved, both in class and on the Internet tell me that not everyone can be as holy as I am! I always have and still do teach that I have no righteousness in me without the Imputed Righteousness of my Savior. If I am only found to be righteous through Him then it follows that without Him I have no holiness either. Now, if we flip this around and examine my condition carefully, in light of the revealed nature of God, in the scriptures, we see that any saved man or woman will have the same Holy Spirit to lead their lives.

I was recently informed, by an eighty-three year old "ex-pastor?” who is also an exprof that taught the Bible, that I should never hit him with "this HS Stuff,” when explaining why I had posted a message or I had stated a specific thing in a message. His explanation, as I recall, is that he had both preached and taught the Bible and he knew better!

As we all should know, God does not force any to do anything, evidenced by the fact that His perfect will is that None should perish (2Pet. 3:9) but that all should come to repentance and be saved and yet we know that the penalty for sin and failing to repent of it is death. (Rom. 6:23) And then we are taught by Jesus that there are two ways to live our lives and these are represented by the wide and the narrow gates. (Matt. 7:13) For, even the newest Christian, Hell is a real place and because they are indwelt with the Holy Spirit of God they will understand and affirm the teaching that the Second Death. (Rev. 20:14-15)

So, because we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit when we are saved we have a choice to make, we can follow His leading or, because God is not a cosmic bully, as some have suggested, we can deny Him and not be saved but still call ourselves Christian and no matter the good works we perform, work ourselves into Hell.

I will be rebuked by folks because of this message but it does not matter, the truth of the scriptures is just that, the truth! Many teachers, in and out of the church, are not God's teachers but are motivated by the all mighty dollar and any number of other purposes and they are very busy leading the deluded into Hell. In the scriptures we see Paul applauding the Bereans for their diligence. They accepted nothing that he taught without checking him and his teaching against the Bible! Today, it is no less important than it was then to test another's teaching against the scriptures and to rely on our memory to accomplish this is a Fool's Folly! One's memory is frail and easily deceived.

My prayer is that you take this message to heart. May God bless each of you abundantly.

Reactions: Rach1370

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. God is not a cosmic bully and people will choose Hell. It is strange to think that anyone would choose such a horrible fate, but it will actually be a mercy to the unredeemed.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Nice post th1b.taylor!
I often wish there was more sound teaching about the Holy Spirit. I think that due to some denominations going way overboard about the HS, that the general reaction has been to draw back and not talk of Him very much. I think this is a shame, for as the third member of the Trinity, and as Christians He dwells within us day by day, we should be able to talk of Him, learn of Him and thank Him!

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
I agree. God is not a cosmic bully and people will choose Hell. It is strange to think that anyone would choose such a horrible fate, but it will actually be a mercy to the unredeemed.

Is there any scripture that says what you said here? Hell is separation from God. How is Hell a mercy?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Is there any scripture that says what you said here? Hell is separation from God. How is Hell a mercy?

I heard Hank Hannegraff talk about this on his radio show a couple years ago.

I can't remember the exact words to explain it, It might be on his website.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

[font="Verdana][size="2"]Micah 7:18
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.[/size][/font]

Hebrews 4:[sup]14[/sup] Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[sup][f][/sup] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. [sup]15[/sup] For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. [sup]16[/sup] Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
[font="Verdana][size="2"]Micah 7:18
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.[/size][/font]

So how does this scripture prove or say that Hell is a mercy? The lake of fire is the last place the unsaved go. Again, this is a mercy? Compared to what?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how does this scripture prove or say that Hell is a mercy? The lake of fire is the last place the unsaved go. Again, this is a mercy? Compared to what?

compared to being in the presence of a Holy God in an unredeemed state. I've been talking about this for awhile now, I am surprised you have missed it

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
compared to being in the presence of a Holy God in an unredeemed state. I've been talking about this for awhile now, I am surprised you have missed it

I can't accept the thought of Hell being better than "in the presence of a Holy God in an unredeemed state."

In Matt 10:28 we can see that "hell" is a place where God can destroy the body and soul.

From Luke 12:5 it seems clear that we are to fear God, and because God has the power to throw people into hell.

Luke 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.

In Hebrews 10:31 we are told it is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. Remember in Luke 12:5 we are told what God has the power to do.

Hebrews 10:31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

I was so much into some of the other topics, so I missed this topic with you. Is there a link you can give me where you get into this more?

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Aspen, here are more scriptures that you might carefully consider.....

Hebrews 12:29 for our "God is a consuming fire."

Exodus 15:7 In the greatness of your majesty you threw down those who opposed you. You unleashed your burning anger; it consumed them like stubble.

Isaiah 33:14 The sinners in Zion are terrified; trembling grips the godless: "Who of us can dwell with the consuming fire? Who of us can dwell with everlasting burning?"

2 Thessalonians 1:7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.

Hebrews 10:27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

2 Peter 3:7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

From the scriptures, it seems that those not saved will burn in God's presence, and also be thrown into Hell where the burning continues. What do you think?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
There is a very disturbing trend in the Christian family today, even more disturbing than our prominent inability to get along. When we read the Book of The Acts of The Apostles we see that the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Holy Trinity, descended upon them. As we read the letters we also see that when Gentiles were saved, the Spirit descended upon them also. And as a Christian Teacher in a Southern Baptist Church, I know and I teach that when a man or a woman are saved, they are indwelt by the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit.

I have had folks, proclaiming to be saved, both in class and on the Internet tell me that not everyone can be as holy as I am! I always have and still do teach that I have no righteousness in me without the Imputed Righteousness of my Savior. If I am only found to be righteous through Him then it follows that without Him I have no holiness either. Now, if we flip this around and examine my condition carefully, in light of the revealed nature of God, in the scriptures, we see that any saved man or woman will have the same Holy Spirit to lead their lives.

I was recently informed, by an eighty-three year old "ex-pastor?” who is also an exprof that taught the Bible, that I should never hit him with "this HS Stuff,” when explaining why I had posted a message or I had stated a specific thing in a message. His explanation, as I recall, is that he had both preached and taught the Bible and he knew better!

As we all should know, God does not force any to do anything, evidenced by the fact that His perfect will is that None should perish (2Pet. 3:9) but that all should come to repentance and be saved and yet we know that the penalty for sin and failing to repent of it is death. (Rom. 6:23) And then we are taught by Jesus that there are two ways to live our lives and these are represented by the wide and the narrow gates. (Matt. 7:13) For, even the newest Christian, Hell is a real place and because they are indwelt with the Holy Spirit of God they will understand and affirm the teaching that the Second Death. (Rev. 20:14-15)

So, because we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit when we are saved we have a choice to make, we can follow His leading or, because God is not a cosmic bully, as some have suggested, we can deny Him and not be saved but still call ourselves Christian and no matter the good works we perform, work ourselves into Hell.

I will be rebuked by folks because of this message but it does not matter, the truth of the scriptures is just that, the truth! Many teachers, in and out of the church, are not God's teachers but are motivated by the all mighty dollar and any number of other purposes and they are very busy leading the deluded into Hell. In the scriptures we see Paul applauding the Bereans for their diligence. They accepted nothing that he taught without checking him and his teaching against the Bible! Today, it is no less important than it was then to test another's teaching against the scriptures and to rely on our memory to accomplish this is a Fool's Folly! One's memory is frail and easily deceived.

My prayer is that you take this message to heart. May God bless each of you abundantly.

You say that as a Baptist teacher you teach of aindwelling of the Holy Spirit. I wonderdo you also teach about the gifts of the Holy Spirit? Do you walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit?

Your thread seems to have been taken over by those who are derailing it,why do you think that is happening?

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
Not quite sure what your point is.

I think people are leery of claims from the HS because too many people have been "led" to do terrible things... Definitely by a spirit but not by the Spirit.

Yet another example of agenda pushing. Nothing you said is stated in his post.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
[font="tahoma]"God is not a cosmic bully" ;)[/font]

Aspen, how do you know what God is or isn’t? Has he told you what he is or is not? Or is your knowledge just what your mind has conceived him to be,or what you want him to be?

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Aspen, how do you know what God is or isn’t? Has he told you what he is or is not? Or is your knowledge just what your mind has conceived him to be,or what you want him to be?

Thankful 1, why are you trying to derail this thread? Maybe you will think before you get on to people next time about derailing.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Sooooo....the Holy Spirit!! (clears throat and sidles back to the topic!)

I'm currently reading a good book about it. "Engaging the Holy Spirit" by Graham A Cole.
Answers some really good questions and isn't too heavy.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sooooo....the Holy Spirit!! (clears throat and sidles back to the topic!)

I'm currently reading a good book about it. "Engaging the Holy Spirit" by Graham A Cole.
Answers some really good questions and isn't too heavy.

Cool - I just ordered it.

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
I notice that one of you has entered the realm of judging God our Lord. We, all of us, need to commit to a none ending Daily Study of the scriptures to learn and remember that God is, as one has stated, not a cosmic bully that forces us to do His will. For that reason, He is a just God handing out perfect justice and many there are that have chosen not to spend eternity with Him. For this reason there is a Hell, the opposite of Heaven. If you will just use the internet version of the Nave's Topical Bible and do the studies on Hell and, particularly, on Heaven you will find that all, who go to Heaven will not be on the same level and it follows that, God being a Just God, there are many levels of the Final punishment in the Abyss also.

When we to the letters from Peter we find God's perfect will is that none should perish but that all should repent and be saved. But then there is the, ever present permissive will of God that gives us our free will to do as we wish. And, to, we must consider the teaching of Jesus from Matthew on the wide and the narrow gates.
This is not an issue we can go to the poles and vote on, God is the King because He is, not because we voted Him to that position.

Here's hoping you get it ad may God bless!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I notice that one of you has entered the realm of judging God our Lord. We, all of us, need to commit to a none ending Daily Study of the scriptures to learn and remember that God is, as one has stated, not a cosmic bully that forces us to do His will. For that reason, He is a just God handing out perfect justice and many there are that have chosen not to spend eternity with Him. For this reason there is a Hell, the opposite of Heaven. If you will just use the internet version of the Nave's Topical Bible and do the studies on Hell and, particularly, on Heaven you will find that all, who go to Heaven will not be on the same level and it follows that, God being a Just God, there are many levels of the Final punishment in the Abyss also.

When we to the letters from Peter we find God's perfect will is that none should perish but that all should repent and be saved. But then there is the, ever present permissive will of God that gives us our free will to do as we wish. And, to, we must consider the teaching of Jesus from Matthew on the wide and the narrow gates.
This is not an issue we can go to the poles and vote on, God is the King because He is, not because we voted Him to that position.

Here's hoping you get it ad may God bless!

Well, I was with you, until you stated that Hell is the opposite of heaven and you started adding levels to both. Do you have any verses to back up those ideas?