The Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pslane

Apr 12, 2018
South Carolna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never had a satisfactory answer to the question: Who is The Holy Spirit?
I've heard lots of answers but none can explain it to me. If this has been discussed here please direct me to the proper thread.
Thank you

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard lots of answers but none can explain it to me. If this has been discussed here please direct me to the proper thread.
Thank you
I just asked these two question on the other thread you generated.
pslane:
How long have you been reading the Bible? Do you consider yourself a true believer in Jesus Christ?

To your question: I may be in the minority although essentially the Holy spirit is the same spirit of God Almighty. There is no extra special Holy spirit personality. I'm not a Trinitarian.

Thanks

APAK

Reactions: FHII

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you

That's a tough question to answer in a few words, so here is a link to a helpful article:

God, the Holy Spirit

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you

The Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) has a different voice than the spirit of the world. The Spirit of God comes directly from God and as man's spirit knows man...God's Spirit knows God.

1 Corinthians 2:11-12
[11] For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. [12] Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

(Proverbs 8:1-36)

Reactions: amadeus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.

Who is the Holy Spirit? you asked correctly, Who, Name JESUS, God almighty himself the ONLY person in the Godhead.

PCY.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you

Jesus says

Joh_4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

and God is Holy for sure, so that's self explanatory. but we are flesh, God is Spirit therefore the Holy Spirit is the Presence of God. so God's Presence is Spirit just as your presence is flesh. how to tell which spirit is the Spirt of God, might be something one should think about.

so that's without discussing the trinity which is another whole subject

Reactions: Siddhi Koli

pslane

Apr 12, 2018
South Carolna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you all for your replies and links. I guess John 14:15-17 and 25 say it best but I still don't understand it because I have never actually "felt" His presence.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit have the same voice. I am a Trinitarian believer, but I recognize that this construct is how we view God. For me, it does not assist or block my desire/willingness to love so it doesn’t dominate my thoughts.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you all for your replies and links. I guess John 14:15-17 and 25 say it best but I still don't understand it because I have never actually "felt" His presence.
Is feeling God, be it the Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit, so important? Consider the man, Isaac with regard to knowing his first born son, Esau, by feeling him:

"And Isaac said unto his son, How is it that thou hast found it so quickly, my son? And he said, Because the LORD thy God brought it to me.
And Isaac said unto Jacob, Come near, I pray thee, that I may feel thee, my son, whether thou be my very son Esau or not.
And Jacob went near unto Isaac his father; and he felt him, and said, The voice is Jacob's voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.
And he discerned him not, because his hands were hairy, as his brother Esau's hands: so he blessed him." Gen 27:20-23

Isaac's identification was in error as we know. It was not Esau but his other son, Jacob.

So what is it that we need? Perhaps we simply need to believe and then step out in faith even if we never "feel" Him:

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

So what are we then to do if we cannot be sure of answer that we can perceive through one of more of the five natural senses: touch, sight, hearing, smelling and taste?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

If we seek the two things [kingdom and righteousness of God], will He not then add to us anything else that He knows we need? This may or may not include natural perception through those five named senses. The Body of Christ is not one part with one function, but many parts with many functions but all subordinate to the Head, the Head being Jesus. What part are you? God knows and if you seek in the order Jesus described then will not all that you need, including knowledge and perceptions and abilities be provided?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Isaac's identification was in error as we know. It was not Esau but his other son, Jacob.
so iow Edom (Adam) Seir, the Doer, disdains his birthright, and gives it over to the guy who puts on sheep's clothes to fool his father.
should be ringing some bells i guess

Last edited:

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Believers had received the Spirit of promise by faith in Jesus Christ; not by feeling a supernatural presence.

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith....26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

The fact that any believer believes in Jesus Christ and that God had risen from the dead is proof that they have the Holy Spirit because He was given by promise to all those that knock at the door of Jesus Christ for salvation.

Seeking to feel His Presence outside of us is after the rudiments of the world when they seek after spirits in their visitations which is why all invitations to come to God the Father is through the Son.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world....4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The Holy Spirit is the Third Person of the Triune God that serves as a Divine Witness of the Son in seeking His glory by leading us to share in His testimony through us.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

That is what the Holy Spirit as the Divine Witness shall lead us to do in seeking this purpose which is to glorify the Son in our testimony of Him and that includes worship. So the words of the Father are given by the Son to the Holy Spirit to speak through us in honoring the Son in testimony & in worship to glorify the Son, and by doing so, honor and glorify God the Father.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The judgment over all believers is how teh Father ONLY wants us to honor Him by and that is by honoring the Son. We cannot honor the Father by only honoring the Father. We cannot honor the Father by honoring the Holy Spirit. The moment we stop honoring the Son, we are no longer honoring the Father.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

When you consider the requirement for men to establish a testimony in bearing a true witness as well as to judge others by, then that also explains how God is a Triune God in order for Him/Them to bear a true witness and to judge any one by.

Deuteronomy 17:6At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

So how can the One Person God establish a word in creation or judge any one unless there is more than One Person within that One God?

John 8:17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.

We see that, and some will say .. oh.. so it is a Two Person God. Not when you consider that God the Father had to bear testimony regarding His Son which requires Another Person in order for the Father's testimony to be true.

Matthew 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. 16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

So the Holy Spirit is a Person and a Witness within the Triune God. As God the Father & the Holy Spirit in us is leading us to testify of the Son in glorifying the Son in ministry outreach and especially in worship, it is done through us. If we as individual believer wanted to worship the Lord Jesus Christ privately, the Holy Spirit and the Father in each of us added to our shared testimony of the Son in worship, makes our private worship true.

The Holy Spirit being our seal of adoption as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost dwells in us, God's testimony of having saved us is true. So when we say individually to others that God is within us and is with us always, our witness is true because the Triune God in us says it is true.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him....26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

So the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of promise for all those that believe in Him after hearing the gospel and He serves as a Divine Witness in us to lead us to testify of the Son in seeking the glory of the Son, especially in worship. Many believers have been misled by the unBiblical Nicene Creed when introducing the practice of worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son when the Holy Spirit & the Father would not lead the believer to do that when the glory of God all rests on the Son in according to His words.

John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

So God the Father is not glorified by glorifying the Trinity nor the Holy Spirit nor the Father, but by glorifying the Son and thereby glorifying God the Father. Jesus really is the only way to approach God the Father in anything, especially in worship when those who worship Him shall be led by the Spirit of God to do just that. That is the obedience and the mind of Christ that Paul was stressing about in regards to worship.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so iow Edom (Adam) Seir, the Doer, disdains his birthright, and gives it over to the guy who puts on sheep's clothes to fool his father.
should be ringing some bells i guess
But can everyone even hearing the ringing bells? It reminds me of elderly church goers who turn their hearing aids all the way down during an especially boring sermon. What, someone would actually do something like that? Perhaps it was a choice between that and falling asleep. Hmmm?
[I have hearing aids so I can relate.]

Reactions: pia

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you

it has been going on for a long time with wrong answers galore with most claiming inspiration and guidance via the Holy Spirit - the right answer is as at Jn 14:17 but only if rightly interpreted and understood and accepted imho - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

exactly and there is a good reason why not - but others galore wrongly claim they have actually "felt" His presence when the scripture you have quoted which is also in their bibles is also misquoted, misapplied and misunderstood - so take another look but firstly understand exactly who is/are being addressed as you and who as the world - be very careful with scriptures - twinc

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who is The Holy Spirit?
The only thing to do, to make sure you don't get deceived by all those who ( differently) think they know....Pray and ask for understanding, and then thank Him that He hears you, and then be patient in getting the answer...You will get it, once you are able to take it in...At times it can take a while, because He teaches us other things, that then help us to take in other things.....Building us up little by little...:)

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
He does seem to reward those who believe Him like little children, with a clear presence, which one could never mistake for anybody other than Him,.........Love, peace and joy could simply not be given in such abundance by any other........But I do agree that people don't necessarily have to 'feel' Him, if their faith is strong enough to stay with Him without it, then I guess there would be no need either.....

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you
To properly understand who the Holy Spirit is, one must understand how the so-called trinity works...which is simply the Me, Myself, and I am, of God.

Thus, the Holy Spirit is God, but performs the duties of the office of spiritual matters, just as the body of a man does the work of the mind and heart of the man. Likewise, the body of Christ does the will of the Head, which we do by the same power of God, in spirit, which is the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
Act 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Heb_11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

1Ch 16:8 Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people.
1Ch 16:9 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works.
1Ch 16:10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
1Ch 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.

Like golden needles in a haystack are those that seek him, precious and few.