The Journey in the Wilderness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I had this .. I was thinking about..

The Ark they carried for 40 years in the wilderness...
The Father sits upon the mercy seat.
The Archangels cover the seat with wings.
within the ark are the 2 stone tablets, Aaron's staff, and a jar of manna

Manna they ate for 40 years in the wilderness.
Unless you eat this flesh...

And when they were thirsty He gave them water from the Rock.
And drink this blood...

The testimony was in the ark.

The Ark is now in Heaven before the Throne of God.

I see Jesus in the Ark..

nowhere to rest his head...

This is just what was on my mind..
Hugs

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And drink this blood...

I see Jesus in the Ark..

Hugs

Wow! We are being carried through a wilderness in Jesus!

:)

Much love!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And somehow that connected with Joseph carrying Jacob's casket from Egypt to the place where Abraham was buried.

All of Egypt went with Joseph to bury his father...

then another thought... comes in on screeching wheels...

Perhaps the children in the wilderness were burying Adam and had to carry him for 40 years..
This is totally metaphorical and just typing whats in my mind..

One teaching Adam until another Moses until another Christ.
I am the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

It's like seeing God move from generation to generation, through the words..
God brought everything to Adam to see what he would call them.
Adam never called them clean or unclean..
that new language didn't come until the law...
but there was something with Noah.. the animals he brought on the ark..

heading back to Noah.. 40 days on the water..
Gen 7:13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark;
Gen 7:14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
Gen 7:15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
Gen 7:16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in.

Now I'm thinking.. these words that Moses put in the ark.. the testimony,
in here is Adam's law... Noah's Law.. Moses's Law...
And all of these were wandering around the desert for 40 years looking for a burial, memorial, suplucre..
Jerusalem...
Ye must be born again...

When Jesus came He finished a lot.
He finished the world gone by, We would begin again...
Long time between Adam and Jesus.
Some say 6000 years, 6th Day... a billion years..

And yet I believe Adam if he had found his resting place in Jerusalem.. that would be pretty close to the Garden of Eden where he was created in the first place.
Adam walked the earth for 6000 years, and a casket was made for him and placed between the Cherubim before the Mercy Seat.
Within the tent of Tabernacles...
Behind the veil.

40 days for Noah, 40 years for Israel in the desert. 400 years for the Hebrews in bondage to Egypt...

40 days in the wilderness for Jesus
40 days in the desert for Paul

why 4's
40days, 40 years, 400 years..
40 is one of those special numbers in the Bible like 12 or 10...
and measurements are everrywhere..
The bible is an architect.. it's a story inside of a story inside of a story... like looking down a deep well and seeing all the ages of history.
Same story just different actors. A new version.. updated edition.

If you look down you can see the past and if you look up you can see the future.
But you still only have today to live in it.

Marching through time.. like an ark through the wilderness, like a scroll passed from kingdom to kingdom,
made into a book bassed on from generation to generation...
the beginning and the ending... and begin again.. born again..

rambling...
just rambling..
Hugs

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

And drink this blood...

I see Jesus in the Ark..

Hugs
Ahhh, Ziggy......keep lifting the lid off those metaphors......and let their richness ooze.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

Just going water rafting on the river for a bit...

Gen 2:10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
Gen 2:13 And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.
Gen 2:14 And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: that is it which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.

Gen 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

from the river of Egypt... Moses was cast into the nile of the river of Egypt.

to the river Euphrates....

1. Euphrates = "fruitfulness"
  2. the largest and longest river of western Asia; rises from two chief sources in the Armenian mountains and flows into the Persian Gulf

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at all this land...

Deu 1:5 On this side Jordan, in the land of Moab, began Moses to declare this law, saying,
Deu 1:6 The LORD our God spake unto us in Horeb, saying, Ye have dwelt long enough in this mount:
Deu 1:7 Turn you, and take your journey, and go to the mount of the Amorites, and unto all the places nigh thereunto, in the plain, in the hills, and in the vale, and in the south, and by the sea side, to the land of the Canaanites, and unto Lebanon, unto the great river, the river Euphrates.
Deu 1:8 Behold, I have set the land before you: go in and possess the land which the LORD sware unto your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give unto them and to their seed after them.

Moses is declaring a law that is a covenant made with Abram....

They are all being brought under the covenant made with Abram...Abraham.

Deu 11:24 Every place whereon the soles of your feet shall tread shall be yours: from the wilderness and Lebanon, from the river, the river Euphrates, even unto the uttermost sea shall your coast be.

even to the uttermost sea shall your coast be...

boundaries:

Gen 15:7 And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.

Gen 15:8 And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?

I don't understand this next part:

Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.
Gen 15:11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.
Gen 15:12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.
Gen 15:13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;
Gen 15:14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
Gen 15:15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
Gen 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
Gen 15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

These verses came to mind... is there a connection?

Luk 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
Luk 17:35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Luk 17:36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Luk 17:37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together.

eagles are gathered together...

Gen 15:18In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:
Gen 15:19The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,
Gen 15:20And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,
Gen 15:21And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

What doe this part mean?

Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
Gen 15:10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

a heifer, a she goat, a ram and a turtledove and a young pigeon.

3 years old... why 3 years old?

thinking..

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

And drink this blood...

I see Jesus in the Ark..

Hugs
@Ziggy The spiritual thirst spoken of by the Lord Jesus to the woman at Sychar's well in John 2 is certainly relevant to the pilgrim in the wilderness.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Ziggy,
Thanks for bringing this subject up.
There is a Scripturally sound perspective that has the earthly temporary Ark of the Covenant as a copy of the heavenly eternal Ark of the Covenant.
  • Made According to Pattern:
Exo 25:9 According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.
Exo 25:40 And see to it that you make them according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.
Exo 26:30 And you shall raise up the tabernacle according to its pattern which you were shown on the mountain.
  • Copies of the Things in Heaven:
Heb 9:18-24 Therefore not even the first covenant was dedicated without blood. (19) For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, (20) saying, "THIS IS THE BLOOD OF THE COVENANT WHICH GOD HAS COMMANDED YOU." (21) Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry. (22) And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission. (23) Therefore it was necessary that the copies of the things in the heavens should be purified with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. (24) For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us;

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't understand this next part:
Genesis 15 is where the LORD established His covenant with Abraham. Since God's covenants were ratified with blood, it was necessary to sacrifice clean animals and birds and shed their blood. Three years old would mean mature sacrificial creatures.

Abraham saw a vision of the Israelites in Egyptian bondage, and would have been horrified by their mistreatment. So there was darkness at that time. God was also showing the judgment of the Egyptians.

However, since Abraham had not offered these creatures as burnt offerings, their carcasses were exposed to the birds of prey which he had to drive away. This has nothing to do with what you quoted from Luke. The smoking furnace might have been God's provision to consume those carcasses, and the burning lamp to provide light in the darkness. The bottom line is that God's covenant with Abraham (Abram) was fully ratified and went into effect immediately.

Reactions: Ziggy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Genesis 15 is where the LORD established His covenant with Abraham. Since God's covenants were ratified with blood, it was necessary to sacrifice clean animals and birds and shed their blood. Three years old would mean mature sacrificial creatures.

Abraham saw a vision of the Israelites in Egyptian bondage, and would have been horrified by their mistreatment. So there was darkness at that time. God was also showing the judgment of the Egyptians.

However, since Abraham had not offered these creatures as burnt offerings, their carcasses were exposed to the birds of prey which he had to drive away. This has nothing to do with what you quoted from Luke. The smoking furnace might have been God's provision to consume those carcasses, and the burning lamp to provide light in the darkness. The bottom line is that God's covenant with Abraham (Abram) was fully ratified and went into effect immediately.
does God need the sacrifice?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes, as a signpost that points to the all sufficient, perpetually appeasing sacrifice of Christ for the sins of the world.

Heb 10:12-14 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, (13) from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. (14) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Reactions: amigo de christo

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, as a signpost that points to the all sufficient, perpetually appeasing sacrifice of Christ for the sins of the world.

Heb 10:12-14 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, (13) from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. (14) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.
why does God need sacrifice?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
why does God need sacrifice?
To appease His Wrath against unrighteousness.

It's something we have to accept by faith since we start life as involuntary products of our God-ordained existence.

The benevolent relationship God wants to have with us requires us to receive His gifts, incuding the gift of Himself in the form of His Son Jesus Christ as the only acceptable sacrifice for sin. Without this sacrifice to appease God's Wrath against unrighteousness we are as guilty and as naked in shame and disgrace as Adam and Eve were after they disobeyed their Creator. The first sacrifice required the shedding of blood and death of an animal to clothe Adam & Eve. This is a signpost that points to the shedding of blood and death of Christ to clothe unrighteous sinners in His righteousness.

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

2Co 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's something we have to accept by faith since we start life as involuntary products of our God-ordained existence.

The benevolent relationship God wants to have with us requires us to receive His gifts, incuding the gift of Himself in the form of His Son Jesus Christ as the only acceptable sacrifice for sin. Without this sacrifice to appease God's Wrath against unrighteousness we are as guilty and as naked in shame and disgrace as Adam and Eve were after they disobeyed their Creator. The first sacrifice required the shedding of blood and death of an animal to clothe Adam & Eve. This is a signpost that points to the shedding of blood and death of Christ to clothe unrighteous sinners in His righteousness.

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

2Co 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Hos 6:4 O Ephraim, what shall I do unto thee? O Judah, what shall I do unto thee? for your goodness is as a morning cloud, and as the dew that goeth early away.

Hos 6:5 Therefore have I hewed them by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of my mouth: and thy judgments are as the light that goeth forth.

Hos 6:6 For I desire goodness, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt-offerings.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Soooo, God is that mad he needs his wrath appeasing by killing? Is that the picture Jesus portrays of God?....an angry God who needs appeasing? I know that is the picture people have of the Gods of this world but the God of Jesus is hardly in line with this? or have we superimposed our desire for revenge onto God?.... have we made God in our image? while the God Jesus came to reveal stoops from the highest heaven where Seraph and Cherubim delight to do his will.....Jesus came to serve his fallen creatures to show them what God is like, knowing full well how he would be treated, even murdered.....or was God complicate in his murder??

You might be curious about these two podcasts which speak of the Wrath of God?
61 The Wrath of God Part 1
62 The Wrath of God Part 2

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes He does. He did need those sacrifices in order to ratify His covenant. As you know from Scripture: And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. (Heb 9:22)

While the Law was still in the future, the principle of sacrifices and the shed blood of clean animals and birds was established right after the Fall.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
...or was God complicate in his murder??

Joh 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"

Points to note:

1. The lamb was a sacrificial animal among the Jews. God had taught His chosen people to slay a lamb and to sprinkle its blood as a sacrifice.
  2. The lamb was killed as a substitute and its blood shed so that sins might be forgiven.
  3. However, the blood of the lambs slain during the OT period did not put away sin.
  4. Those lambs were pictures or types, pointing forward to the fact that God would one day provide a Lamb who would actually take away the sin.
  5. All down through the years, godly Jews had waited for the coming of this Lamb.
  6. Now at last the time had come, and John the Baptist triumphantly announced the arrival of the true Lamb of God.
  7. Whereas the Jewish sacrifices as a type were intended for one nation only, the fulfillment of the type is intended for all nations.
Rev 5:6-7

(6) And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
(7) Then He came and took the scroll out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne.

Points to ponder:

1. The power of the Lamb
  2. The riches of the Lamb
  3. The wisdom of the Lamb
  4. The strength of the Lamb
  5. The honor of the Lamb
  6. The glory of the Lamb
  7. The blessing of the Lamb
Rev 5:11-14
(11) Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands,
(12) saying with a loud voice: "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain To receive power and riches and wisdom, And strength and honor and glory and blessing!"
(13) And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: "Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, And to the Lamb, forever and ever!"
(14) Then the four living creatures said, "Amen!" And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.

A Point to be aware of:

Without the shedding of the precious blood of the Lamb there would be no salvation for anyone, either now or in the Judgment to come !!!

(Thanks to the Believers' Bible Commentary for material collated)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hos 6:6 For I desire goodness, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt-offerings.
This verse should not be taken out of context to suggest that God did not need or want sacrifices. In Hosea and other Scriptures He did not want sacrifices from those who were violating his commandments. And His ultimate perfect sacrifice would be His only begotten Son.

Reactions: Stumpmaster

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes He does. He did need those sacrifices in order to ratify His covenant. As you know from Scripture: And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. (Heb 9:22)

While the Law was still in the future, the principle of sacrifices and the shed blood of clean animals and birds was established right after the Fall.
I see...so sin was cancelled by the sacrifices of animals?.....hmmm