The Key of David.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The phrase "key of David" is mentioned only twice in the bible. Once in each testament.

And that is for a reason.

God does this kind of thing to teach us something about His will. It is an instruction with a dire warning.

The 2 places that the key of David is found....is Is. 22 concerning Eliakim.

Is. 22:20 “In that day I will summon my servant, Eliakim son of Hilkiah. 21 I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the people of Judah. 22 I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 23 I will drive him like a peg into a firm place; he will become a seat of honor for the house of his father. 24 All the glory of his family will hang on him: its offspring and offshoots—all its lesser vessels, from the bowls to all the jars.

AND

Rev. 3:7“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,
‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”:

So then.....what is this...key of David?

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrase "key of David" is mentioned only twice in the bible. Once in each testament.

And that is for a reason.

God does this kind of thing to teach us something about His will. It is an instruction with a dire warning.

The 2 places that the key of David is found....is Is. 22 concerning Eliakim.

Is. 22:20 “In that day I will summon my servant, Eliakim son of Hilkiah. 21 I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the people of Judah. 22 I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 23 I will drive him like a peg into a firm place; he will become a seat of honor for the house of his father. 24 All the glory of his family will hang on him: its offspring and offshoots—all its lesser vessels, from the bowls to all the jars.

AND

Rev. 3:7“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,
‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”:

I don't know what the key of David could be, except it probably has something to do with Jesus, an heir of David.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Eliakim...means "God will raise up."

Philadelphia...means "brotherly love".

So then...."God will raise up brotherly love."

or....God will raise up those who display brotherly love.

We are to love as Jesus loved after all.

Thought to add this as a side note... :)

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eliakim...means "God will raise up."

Philadelphia...means "brotherly love".

So then...."God will raise up brotherly love."

or....God will raise up those who display brotherly love.

We are to love as Jesus loved after all.

Thought to add this as a side note... :)
wonderful thought and sidenote :)

Reactions: Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God teaches us by comparisons. He will often allow something that is far less than His will at first....like a king Saul....in order to better display what He does approve of.....as in king David.

The same goes for Shebna and Eliakim. (Is. 22)

Shebna was over the household of the king....but was demoted in order to be replaced by Eliakim. (So much for the aversion to replacement theology)

So then just as Saul was replaced by David so Shebna was replaced by Eliakim.

First the natural...then the spiritual.

What of the churches of Philadelphia and Laodicea?

Even though these appear in reverse order...we will see that Laodicea gets rejected in favour of Philadelphia.

Laodicea means..."the people's opinions"

Are we not now in the age of religious opinions? Where there is no understanding of deeper spiritual truth...or life in the Spirit?

And what does Jesus think of the religious opinions of the people? He will spit them from His mouth.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Concerning Eliakim and Shebna...and the letter vav....or peg. This is prophetic according to the name Shebna...who had a "vav" removed from his name. Difficult to understand unless you think in Hebrew... ;) But let's try...

Is. 22: The key of the house of David
I will lay on his shoulder;
So he shall open, and no one shall shut;
And he shall shut, and no one shall open.
23 I will fasten him as a peg in a secure place,
And he will become a glorious throne to his father’s house.

24 ‘They will hang on him all the glory of his father’s house, the offspring and the posterity, all vessels of small quantity, from the cups to all the pitchers. 25 In that day,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘the peg that is fastened in the secure place will be removed and be cut down and fall, and the burden that was on it will be cut off; for the Lord has spoken.’ ”

Shebna's peg (the letter vav) was removed. And so all the works were lost (just like the one who builds with wood, hay and stubble).

We know that Eliakim relates to Philadelphia...due to the "key of David" reference.

How does Shebna relate to Laodicea?

When you place the removed peg (letter vav) back into the name "Shebna"....you get "Shouvou nah" Repent now! Or as Jesus tells Laodicea...."be zealous and repent!"

Of course, Laodicea does NOT repent. Opinions are not easily overthrown.

So then Philadelphia takes over....much as king David rose up in the wake of the fall of king Saul.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But what is the "key of David"?

It is access to Zion...in the spiritual realm. The kingdom of God.

Jesus said to Peter..."I give you the keys of the kingdom."

Mat. 16:19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”"

Peter was there when the Samaritan nation was baptized in the Spirit. Peter was there when the first Gentiles were baptized in the Spirit (Cornelius and his household) Acts. 10

But Philadelphia shows that Jesus retains the keys...and reveals Himself to the humble and the obedient.

Rev. 3:8b ...for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere,

The Philadelphians have an access to Jesus and His kingdom that the Laodiceans only think they have....but have not.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning Eliakim and Shebna...and the letter vav....or peg. This is prophetic according to the name Shebna...who had a "vav" removed from his name. Difficult to understand unless you think in Hebrew... ;) But let's try...

Is. 22: The key of the house of David
I will lay on his shoulder;
So he shall open, and no one shall shut;
And he shall shut, and no one shall open.
23 I will fasten him as a peg in a secure place,
And he will become a glorious throne to his father’s house.

24 ‘They will hang on him all the glory of his father’s house, the offspring and the posterity, all vessels of small quantity, from the cups to all the pitchers. 25 In that day,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘the peg that is fastened in the secure place will be removed and be cut down and fall, and the burden that was on it will be cut off; for the Lord has spoken.’ ”

Shebna's peg (the letter vav) was removed. And so all the works were lost (just like the one who builds with wood, hay and stubble).

We know that Eliakim relates to Philadelphia...due to the "key of David" reference.

How does Shebna relate to Laodicea?

When you place the removed peg (letter vav) back into the name "Shebna"....you get "Shouvou nah" Repent now! Or as Jesus tells Laodicea...."be zealous and repent!"

Of course, Laodicea does NOT repent. Opinions are not easily overthrown.

So then Philadelphia takes over....much as king David rose up in the wake of the fall of king Saul.

Believe it or not, one of the first words God ever spoke to me three years ago was the word "peg". I've seen you mention it multiple times in other threads but was hesitant to ask questions. I had never heard the word or even considered the word until it was there. Searched for the longest time an explanation as to what is the significance of "peg"? Translations often use "nail" instead. Nails(pegs) anchored the tents...and yes, the verse you mentioned about the nail fastened in a sure place being removed(cutoff). As far as the key...Christ is the key that opens every verse and parable, isn't He. His blood. His Spirit. The Pharisees did not know the voice of the prophets nor did they Know Him, otherwise they would not have crucified Him.

Why do you continue to use "peg" Episkopos instead of "nail"? Why is "peg' such an important word that God would bring it up as preferred over "nail"?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Believe it or not, one of the first words God ever spoke to me three years ago was the word "peg". I've seen you mention it multiple times in other threads but was hesitant to ask questions. I had never heard the word or even considered the word until it was there. Searched for the longest time an explanation as to what is the significance of "peg"? Translations often use "nail" instead. Nails(pegs) anchored the tents...and yes, the verse you mentioned about the nail fastened in a sure place being removed(cutoff). As far as the key...Christ is the key that opens every verse and parable, isn't He. His blood. His Spirit. The Pharisees did not know the voice of the prophets nor did they Know Him, otherwise they would not have crucified Him.

Why do you continue to use "peg" Episkopos instead of "nail"? Why is "peg' such an important word that God would bring it up as preferred over "nail"?

I use "peg" to refer to a tent peg...which is what the letter vav represents in the Hebrew aleph-beth. It is the 6th letter.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Keys unlock doors. They also lock doors.

When I think of a key I think of those machines that duplicate a new key from a blank by cutting one in the same mirror image as the original.

So I see also we are being conformed to the same image of Christ. We are being cut into that which opens doors....the door to the kingdom in particular. So then access is granted to those who have the key...the image of Christ. And this is an eternal access.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And why the house of David? Besides this being in Jerusalem....

The tent of David was for all nations...

Acts 15:13And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
14Simon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
15And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
16After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
17That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

So then the house of David is the prophetic restoration of a place of worship for all nations. And that place is a spiritual place...ZION in the heavenly realm. We have access to THAT place by conformity to Christ by faith.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is there not a concern that the churches have lost the key of David? Shouldn't there be more of an outcry?

In this time of great sin and darkness, the saints should rise up and walk in the power of God to a greater extent than in the past. But sound doctrine sounds strange to modern ears. People have forgotten the great revivals of a century ago.

We need to pray for the saints to rise up once again. We need a fresh revival of truth and power in the life that Jesus came to bring us.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since God had promised David an eternal throne, we must see the connection between "the key of David" and the throne of David (which will eventually be established on earth under the rule of Christ).

The governor Eliakim (the son of Hilkiah) is shown as a type of Christ ("and the government shall be upon His shoulders"), and "the key of David" is symbolic of royal authority, government, and entrance into the Kingdom of God under Christ, particularly for Israel.

To whom Christ grants access through faith, he cannot be shut out of the Kingdom of God. And to whom Christ denies access because of unbelief, he cannot gain access to the Kingdom of God. This ties in with the New Birth. Except a man be born again, he can neither enter nor see the Kingdom of God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Since God had promised David an eternal throne, we must see the connection between "the key of David" and the throne of David (which will eventually be established on earth under the rule of Christ).

The governor Eliakim (the son of Hilkiah) is shown as a type of Christ ("and the government shall be upon His shoulders"), and "the key of David" is symbolic of royal authority, government, and entrance into the Kingdom of God under Christ, particularly for Israel.

To whom Christ grants access through faith, he cannot be shut out of the Kingdom of God. And to whom Christ denies access because of unbelief, he cannot gain access to the Kingdom of God. This ties in with the New Birth. Except a man be born again, he can neither enter nor see the Kingdom of God.

Agreed. Entrance into Christ grants the authority and righteousness of Christ that is necessary to represent and be ambassadors of the kingdom of God.

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A key can not only unlock...but can also lock. So when are the doors locked?

When we continually grieve the Spirit...or offend the brethren in words and actions. When we claim much but have done nothing. When we claim to know much and have seen nothing.

God said...I swore in My wrath...they shall not enter My rest.

Reactions: faithfulness

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Back to Peter receiving the keys to the kingdom.

Peter was the one who brought the first Gentiles into the kingdom. (Acts 10) He was also the one who laid hands (with John) on the Samaritans.

So we see the inaugural opening up of the spiritual realm to all men was given to Peter.

Does that mean that Peter still has those keys...like in the popular jokes that put Peter at the gate to heaven?

No.

Jesus retains those keys.

Jesus gave the keys to His servant for the function of opening up doors. Once opened, these will remain open until the time of the return of Jesus. Then the door will be shut....not by Peter.....but by the Lord.

Seek the Lord while He may be found.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
one of these things
is not like the other
one of these things
just doesn't belong
if you can guess which thing...

They really need to come up with a Sesame street for kids....IMO

So what are you seeing that is incongruent?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
They really need to come up with a Sesame street for kids....IMO

So what are you seeing that is incongruent?
well i've gone on enough about the Return of Jesus, i would be testing that.
a century ago i don't think Rapture had gotten a very strong foothold into Western Christianity yet?