The Law: Friend or Foe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Is the law the friend or foe of God? Who therefore is a friend or foe of God? If the law is His friend, then doers of His law are His friends. If the law is His foe, then doers of the law are His enemies.

I know such a scenario need not even be asked among the sons of God, but we see in the Bible, as well as among certain Christians, that the latter is what they choose: The law of Christ is the foe of God, and doers of His law are His enemies.

So let's look at what the Bible says about it:

We are either friends or foes of God. Lovers or enemies.

Lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

And His law is the dividing line between the two.

For:

I hate and abhor lying and vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Or against:

The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

Nevertheless they were disobedient, and rebelled against thee, and cast thy law behind their backs, and slew thy prophets which testified against them to turn them to thee, and they wrought great provocations.

Loving the true God of the Bible cannot be without loving His law to do it.

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. If ye love me, keep my commandments.

He that saith, I know him, and is not keeping his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that are keeping the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Either the law of God is loved and done with a whole heart in Psalms 23 & 119, or is hated and transgressed from the heart in Psalms 2 & Neh 9.

And so, The words of the Bible pertaining to God's law and commandments, will either be taught with friendship or with enmity.

Prime Example:

For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

Which reading of these verses shows a friend or foe of God, pertaining to His law of commandments and ordinances? That the enmity with God is His law? God forbid! Or that the enmity is against God and His word? Amen! Right on!

What therefore is abolished here as the enmity, is according to the nature of that enmity. Is it the law itself? Or transgression of the law?

The foe says:

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even being the law of commandments contained in ordinances.

The friend says:

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even with the law of commandments contained in ordinances;

The solution of God for the enmity between man and Himself, is not to abolish His own law and commandments, as though they were the devil in the room. But rather is to abolish having enmity with His will by lust and sin of the devil.

And so, That solution to man's enmity with God is Jesus Christ. Who does not come to condemn an already condemned world of enemy transgressors, but comes to save the enemies from their sins and trespasses, and so slay the enmity thereby:

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Whosoever is committing sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

He that is committing sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Last edited:

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
The law is not the devil, but the devil is the enemy of God and His law. His lust of heart against God is that enmity that must be taken away from our hearts.

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God:

This is an attack on God, His throne, and His law.

It is never possible to love the God of the Bible and be His friend without His law and doing it, because the Bible shows that true God and Lamb will never ever be without His law ruling over all men on earth, including the new earth:

And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there. And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
The law of God defines sin, not makes sin.

The great blasphemy and error of the foes of God's law, is to say that man is made sinners by the law. The law makes no man nor angel a sinner, but rather angels and men that sin make themselves enemy transgressors against the law, by their own lust of heart against God and His good, holy, and just rule with power.

Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

The law of God is for the good of man. His commandment comes with His Spirit to convict man of sinning, not just to condemn. God's spiritual purpose of His law is to convince man to repent and be reconciled to God, and so slaying our own enmity against Him thereby.

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

The unrepentant foes say all would be well with their souls, if the commandment of God would simply go away. That is simply not true.

For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

Abolishing the law of Christ from our own lives is the sure road to reprobation from God, because without His law there is no Spirit to convict any man by His law.

Beware of seeking to break the bands of God's law, but rather repent. To abolish His commandment as our enemy is the will of the devil, who first sought to do so. That is to rebuke the Spirit of grace from convicting us of trasngression of His law. That leaves no room for repentance unto salvation of God from our trasngression and enmity with Him.

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron.