The Law of the Spirit of Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
“For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death”—Romans 8:2

“But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law (the law of sin and death)” – Galatians 5:18 (addition in parenthesis, mine)

As we begin to discuss this topic, “The Law of The Spirit of Life” it is important we understand the meaning of the term “Law” in the context in which it was used here.

The word law, is from the Greek word ‘nomos’ meaning—regulation or principle. Thus, law is a working principle.

If you read the entire chapter of Romans chapter 7 and then get to chapter 8 of the same book of Romans; it is clear that the Apostle Paul (by the Spirit) was giving a distinction between the man that is under the Law—The Law of Moses—and the man under grace—The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

The Apostle Paul contrasted his life under the Law with the present life of a believer, who is consciously walking under the grace of God (walking in the Spirit).

But many in the body of Christ have wrongly believed – like I did for a very long time—that what the Apostle Paul was saying in Chapter 7, applies also to the believer under grace in chapter 8.

And as a result, they find their selves struggling to overcome sin, instead of gaining absolute dominion over sin (Rom 6:14).

To be obeying the law of God in the mind, and that of sin in the flesh, clearly depicts the character and lifestyle of the man under the Law that the Apostle Paul was explaining to us in Romans chapter 7.

I am expounding this fact because the outcome of our Christian walk has so much to do with what and how we believe-- either wrong or right. So many believers who believe what the Apostle was saying in Romans chapter 7 apply also to the person under grace—The Law of The Spirit of Life in Christ— are bound to be easily overcome by temptation to sin.

And before and after they fall into sin, they console their selves with the wrong notion of what the Apostle Paul said in Romans 7: 25 and Galatians 5:17.

But when you believe the right thing the Apostle meant, it will definitely change your mindset about sin and temptation to sin. It will give you a superiority complex about sin; thereby leading to greater victory over sin and sinful habits.

Because the word of God tells us that sin shall not have dominion over us (Rom 6:14) and also that we should reckon ourselves to be dead to sin and alive unto righteousness (Rom 6:11).

So What was the Apostle Paul Saying?

The keys to quick understanding of Paul’s distinction of the life under the law and under grace in Romans chapters 7 and 8; and Galatians 5:17 and 18 are the words THEN (Rom7:25), NOW (Rom 8:1) and BUT (Gal 5:18).

In Romans 7:25, the Apostle says; “I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So THEN with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin”

Hence, the Apostle concluded all he was saying in Romans chapter 7 about his walk with God under the Law with verse 25. And that can be clearly understood with his use of the word “Then” (Past tense).

Then in Romans 8:1-2, here is what the scripture says; “There is therefore NOW no condemnation to them who are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ has made me free from the law of sin and death”

The above scripture is the status of the man under grace—NOW. The Law of the Spirit of Life (Grace) has made him free from the Law of sin and death—The Law.

Then the Apostle Paul repeats the same distinction in Galatians 5:17 and 18 thus:

“For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other; so that you cannot do the things that you would. But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the Law (the Law of sin and death)”.—words in parenthesis, mine.

From the above scriptures, the Apostle makes the distinction again, exactly the same way he made it in Romans. Verse 17 talks about the struggle of the flesh of the man under the law with the Spirit; thereby, not allowing him do the right things he is supposed to do. Then in verse 18, he contrasts it with the man under the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ; being led by the Holy Spirit or walking in the Spirit (under Grace); starting with the word “But” which introduces a contrary point from the former in verse 17.

So there you have it. The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the Law of sin and death.

Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law. Sin shall not have dominion over you for you are not under the law but under grace.

Hence, from now onward, jettison the wrong believe that you are to be struggling to live a Holy Life or to overcome sin and sinful habits. Instead, receive a superiority complex or mindset over sin. Receive a master mindset of Holiness.

Begin to meditate and confess all the listed scriptures in the light of this revelation you have just received about godliness. And as you do, you will soon begin to see a dramatic change in your walk with God in Jesus precious name.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death”—Romans 8:2

“But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law (the law of sin and death)” – Galatians 5:18 (addition in parenthesis, mine)

As we begin to discuss this topic, “The Law of The Spirit of Life” it is important we understand the meaning of the term “Law” in the context in which it was used here.

The word law, is from the Greek word ‘nomos’ meaning—regulation or principle. Thus, law is a working principle.

If you read the entire chapter of Romans chapter 7 and then get to chapter 8 of the same book of Romans; it is clear that the Apostle Paul (by the Spirit) was giving a distinction between the man that is under the Law—The Law of Moses—and the man under grace—The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus.

The Apostle Paul contrasted his life under the Law with the present life of a believer, who is consciously walking under the grace of God (walking in the Spirit).

But many in the body of Christ have wrongly believed – like I did for a very long time—that what the Apostle Paul was saying in Chapter 7, applies also to the believer under grace in chapter 8.

And as a result, they find their selves struggling to overcome sin, instead of gaining absolute dominion over sin (Rom 6:14).

Amen brother.
What an excellent post.

I am sure you will get many rebuttals...but I'm sure it wont be the first time :)

To me, Romand 8:2 is one of the most pivotal scriptures in the Bible.
"one of"...but a very strong one.
It has also been my "Jawbone of a ass" in time of spiritual warfare too.

Amen brother...thanks for the encouraging posting.

Reactions: FHII and Truth7t7

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So there you have it. The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has made us free from the Law of sin and death.
"us" being everyone, right; no one is subject to death for sins any more, generally speaking. Our laws have now changed to reflect this iow, pretty much worldwide; again speaking generally.

spiritually is a diff matter of course; there we got believers who are dedicated to the law (of sin and death), etc

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Amen brother.
What an excellent post.

I am sure you will get many rebuttals...but I'm sure it wont be the first time :)

To me, Romand 8:2 is one of the most pivotal scriptures in the Bible.
"one of"...but a very strong one.
It has also been my "Jawbone of a ass" in time of spiritual warfare too.

Amen brother...thanks for the encouraging posting.

Thanks Madam, God bless you.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Madam, God bless you.
I noticed your from Nigeria brother, there are different uses of Madam in America, just a bit of humor.

Madam/French?

Madam/American?

A big difference, big smiles and a little humor for the board.

Reactions: Helen

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Greetings Emeke,

Thanks for sharing your understanding. It seems I will be your first rebuttal. Your post stopped at Romans 8:2. Had you gone further you would know that Paul was not teaching we no longer have to obey the Law of God.

Romans 7:22-23 - "For I delight in the law of God after the inward man; But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."

"Another law" - The first law is the law of YHWH in verse 22. A second law is the law of sin (not to be confused with the Law of YHWH or the law of Paul's mind. It is the law of sin that rules over a person all his life and keeps that person in bondage (vs.2) until Messiah comes to free them. The law of sin is at war with the law of Paul's mind (the law of YHWH).​

Romans 7:24,25 - " O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Yeshua Messiah our Master. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin."

The master Yeshua is the only one that can deliver the carnal man who lives in the flesh. The latter part of verse 25 are the words of carnal man. This is still not Paul's personal experience.​

Romans 8:1 - "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Messiah Yeshua, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Now Paul begins to relate the believer's experience. The believer who walks not after the flesh does not serve the law of sin as does the carnal man. Instead, the Spirit empowers him to obey.

Ezekiel 36:26-27 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and you shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Romans 8:2 - "For the law of the Spirit of life in Messiah Yeshua has made me free from the law of sin and death."

The bondage is broken. We are free from the law (of sin and death, not the law of YHWH). The "law of sin and death" is a principle whereby the person who sins will die. Yeshua has taken the death penalty upon himself freeing us from it. He does NOT free us from the Law of YHWH, but from the consequences of breaking the Law of YHWH which is sin (1 John 3:4).​

Romans 8:3-5 - "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit."

The law is weak to bring about obedience when it is approached carnally without the Spirit. When approached with the Spirit, we can fulfill "the righteousness of the law". Yes, believe it or not, there is a righteousness inherent in the law that only walking in the Spirit can fulfill.​

Romans 8:6-7 - "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be."

"Death" results because the carnal, fleshly minded man hates YHWH and cannot possibly submit to His laws. On the other hand, the man who walks in the Spirit loves YHWH and can easily obey His laws as a fruit of that love. This results in life and peace.

The sad thing is, Satan has deceived believers into thinking that the Law of YHWH is the problem when, in reality, it is the breaking of the Law of YHWH (sin) that is the problem. When Yeshua took upon himself the sins of the world, he removed the problem for believers. They now had no more transgressions of the Law to condemn them because their "sins that are past" were forgiven.

Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
What about the sins that are present or future? They can be forgiven as well through confession and repentance. If we, through the indwelling Holy Spirit, subject ourselves to the Law of YHWH (Romans 8:7) as those that are not carnal should do, then we will not sin.

Reactions: Truth

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
As for Galatians 5:17-18;

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that you cannot do the things that you would.

Gal 5:18 But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law.​

In keeping with Romans 8:7, the flesh (the carnal mind) will not and cannot subject itself to the Law of God, but the spiritual mind, the mind led by the Spirit, will subject itself to the Law of God. If we are led by the Spirit, we will be able to do the things we want without sinning (breaking God’s laws).

To be “under the law” means to be under its condemnation when it is broken (when we sin). Yeshua took that condemnation upon himself when he died in our place. The death penalty (the condemnation) has been paid. We are not under the condemnation of the law anymore. However, that does not mean we no longer need to obey the law. Yeshua taught us to “go and sin no more” (go and stop breaking the law). The only way we can stop breaking the law is by obeying the law through the power of the indwelling Spirit as is expected of Spirit led believers.

The problem is, believers today are being taught they don’t have to obey the law of God anymore. So when the Spirit attempts to lead them to obey the law as per Ezekiel 36, they rebel thinking it is a lying spirit trying to put them under bondage to the law. You all need to see past the wiles of the devil as he leads you to sin by breaking the law daily.

Reactions: Philip James

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
As for Galatians 5:17-18;

Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that you cannot do the things that you would.

Gal 5:18 But if you be led of the Spirit, you are not under the law.​

In keeping with Romans 8:7, the flesh (the carnal mind) will not and cannot subject itself to the Law of God, but the spiritual mind, the mind led by the Spirit, will subject itself to the Law of God. If we are led by the Spirit, we will be able to do the things we want without sinning (breaking God’s laws).

To be “under the law” means to be under its condemnation when it is broken (when we sin). Yeshua took that condemnation upon himself when he died in our place. The death penalty (the condemnation) has been paid. We are not under the condemnation of the law anymore. However, that does not mean we no longer need to obey the law. Yeshua taught us to “go and sin no more” (go and stop breaking the law). The only way we can stop breaking the law is by obeying the law through the power of the indwelling Spirit as is expected of Spirit led believers.

The problem is, believers today are being taught they don’t have to obey the law of God anymore. So when the Spirit attempts to lead them to obey the law as per Ezekiel 36, they rebel thinking it is a lying spirit trying to put them under bondage to the law. You all need to see past the wiles of the devil as he leads you to sin by breaking the law daily.

Well Sir,
on reading your explanation, I think we are basically saying the same thing. I never in any way implied that we no longer keep the law of God.
But rather, the summary of my article is that, being under the law of the spirit of life has freed us from the law of sin and death. Hence, we now have absolute dominion over sin.
I meant we can now by grace gain absolute dominion over sin.

Reactions: Josho and Truth7t7

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well Sir,
on reading your explanation, I think we are basically saying the same thing. I never in any way implied that we no longer keep the law of God.
But rather, the summary of my article is that, being under the law of the spirit of life has freed us from the law of sin and death. Hence, we now have absolute dominion over sin.
I meant we can now by grace gain absolute dominion over sin.
Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your first post. You wrote, "The Law of the Spirit of Life (Grace) has made him free from the Law of sin and death—The Law." Therefore, you believe the "law of sin and death" is "The Law". I disagree. "The Law" is the law Paul had in his mind (the Law of God), but the "law of sin and death" is not the Law of God, but a principle whereby if a man sins he will die. You also wrote, "If you read the entire chapter of Romans chapter 7 and then get to chapter 8 of the same book of Romans; it is clear that the Apostle Paul (by the Spirit) was giving a distinction between the man that is under the Law—The Law of Moses—and the man under grace—The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus." Are you not saying the "Law of Moses" mentioned in your first post is not the "law of God" you referred to in your last post? To me, they are one and the same. YHWH (God) gave His Law to Moses who then passed it on to Israel. In other words, if we are to still keep the "Law of God", then we are to still keep the "Law of Moses". The difference is, breaking the Law of Moses under the Old Covenant led to death (condemnation), but breaking the Law of God (the Law of Moses) under the New Covenant does not lead to death (condemnation) because Yeshua took that death upon himself.

If we are still saying the same thing, then HalleluYah!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your first post. You wrote, "The Law of the Spirit of Life (Grace) has made him free from the Law of sin and death—The Law." Therefore, you believe the "law of sin and death" is "The Law". I disagree. "The Law" is the law Paul had in his mind (the Law of God), but the "law of sin and death" is not the Law of God, but a principle whereby if a man sins he will die. You also wrote, "If you read the entire chapter of Romans chapter 7 and then get to chapter 8 of the same book of Romans; it is clear that the Apostle Paul (by the Spirit) was giving a distinction between the man that is under the Law—The Law of Moses—and the man under grace—The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus." Are you not saying the "Law of Moses" mentioned in your first post is not the "law of God" you referred to in your last post? To me, they are one and the same. YHWH (God) gave His Law to Moses who then passed it on to Israel. In other words, if we are to still keep the "Law of God", then we are to still keep the "Law of Moses". The difference is, breaking the Law of Moses under the Old Covenant led to death (condemnation), but breaking the Law of God (the Law of Moses) under the New Covenant does not lead to death (condemnation) because Yeshua took that death upon himself.

If we are still saying the same thing, then HalleluYah!
Well, I believe the old covenant is the law of sin and death. Cos breaking any of the Law of Moses leads to death (condemnation) like you rightly said. And we are told that the Law came through Moses but grace came by Christ(John 1).

If you are living under the Law in the old covenant, your lifestyle will definitely be characterised by what the Apostle Paul explained in Romans 7. Just meditate a little more.

Reactions: Josho and Helen

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well, I believe the old covenant is the law of sin and death. Cos breaking any of the Law of Moses leads to death (condemnation) like you rightly said.
There was nothing wrong with the Law that was contained in the Old Covenant. The problem was with the people:

Hebrews 8:8 For finding fault with them, He said, ...
The Law of YHWH is perfect (Psalm 19:7; Romans 7:12).

And we are told that the Law came through Moses but grace came by Christ(John 1).
John 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ. NASB​

As the NASB translation suggests, grace and truth reached their ultimate fulfillment through Messiah Yeshua.

You are assuming that when grace came it replaced the Law. The truth is, that both grace and truth existed along with the Law throughout the OT (Exodus 34:9; Deuteronomy 32:4, etc.). In fact the Law is truth (Psalm 119:142, 151). When grace came it upheld the Law just as Paul said faith does in Romans 3:31. Consider Paul's words in Romans 5:20;

Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:​

Grace abounds when sin abounds. Sin is the transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4). Therefore, when transgressions of the Law abound, grace abounds much more. If there is no more Law, then their is no more sin and grace will no longer abound. For grace to be grace, there must be laws that are broken.

If you are living under the Law in the old covenant, your lifestyle will definitely be characterised by what the Apostle Paul explained in Romans 7. Just meditate a little more.
I do not live under the Old Covenant, but I do endeavor to live by the laws contained in that covenant because Almighty YHWH said those same laws (Torah) are written on my heart and mind under the New Covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31-33 "Behold, the days come, saith YHWH, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith YHWH:
But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares YHWH, "I will put My law (Torah) within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus came, lived and died...because man, for 4000 years had seen that he could not keep God's law. Not even 40 years in the wilderness...Not without the blood of sheep, bulls and goats.
The best the OT did was 'cover ' sin.
Jesus came to remove sin.
He WAS the fulfilling of the law.

He left us with the Love command....because He is Love, and love is His nature.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
I do not live under the Old Covenant, but I do endeavor to live by the laws contained in that covenant because Almighty YHWH said those same laws (Torah) are written on my heart and mind under the New Covenant.
endeavor, you see, that's all you can ever get, trying to keep the laws of Moses. But living under the law of the spirit of life confers mastery over sin. Not endeavors.
Endeavoring is what the man the Apostle Paul described in Romans 7 is characterised with.He endeavors to keep the law of God but his flesh fails him. So he can condemn and scream against sin all he wants but eventually he fails woefully at practice of what he preaches.

Reactions: amadeus

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Jesus came, lived and died...because man, for 4000 years had seen that he could not keep God's law. Not even 40 years in the wilderness...Not without the blood of sheep, bulls and goats.
The best the OT did was 'cover ' sin.
Jesus came to remove sin.
He WAS the fulfilling of the law.
I agree. The reasons man could not keep the Law were 1) The Law was external (written on stone and papyrus) and 2) the people did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit to help obey the Law. Now, under the New Covenant, we have both. The Law is now internal and the indwelling Holy Spirit causes us to obey (Jeremiah 31:33; Ezekiel 36:26-27).

He left us with the Love command....because He is Love, and love is His nature.
The entire Law is founded upon love. Every commandment YHWH gave was out of love for His people. All Ten Commandments are founded upon loving YHWH or loving one's neighbor. Other laws are the same. For example, the command to not move your neighbors boundary marker is founded upon love for your neighbor. Paul wrote, "Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law" (Romans 13:10).
In other words, when we love, we will not move our neighbors boundary marker, or commit adultery with his/her spouse, or steal from them, or cause them to work on the holy Sabbath Day, etc. However, if we do choose to walk in the flesh and steal from our neighbor, then we do not fulfill the Law or love our neighbor. Love does NOT abolish the Law, it is the heart of the Law.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
endeavor, you see, that's all you can ever get, trying to keep the laws of Moses. But living under the law of the spirit of life confers mastery over sin. Not endeavors.
Endeavoring is what the man the Apostle Paul described in Romans 7 is characterised with.He endeavors to keep the law of God but his flesh fails him. So he can condemn and scream against sin all he wants but eventually he fails woefully at practice of what he preaches.
So, what you are saying is that you never sin. You have total mastery over sin by never breaking a law.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.​

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree. The reasons man could not keep the Law were 1) The Law was external (written on stone and papyrus) and 2) the people did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit to help obey the Law. Now, under the New Covenant, we have both. The Law is now internal and the indwelling Holy Spirit causes us to obey (Jeremiah 31:33; Ezekiel 36:26-27).

The entire Law is founded upon love. Every commandment YHWH gave was out of love for His people. All Ten Commandments are founded upon loving YHWH or loving one's neighbor. Other laws are the same. For example, the command to not move your neighbors boundary marker is founded upon love for your neighbor. Paul wrote, "Love works no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law" (Romans 13:10).
In other words, when we love, we will not move our neighbors boundary marker, or commit adultery with his/her spouse, or steal from them, or cause them to work on the holy Sabbath Day, etc. However, if we do choose to walk in the flesh and steal from our neighbor, then we do not fulfill the Law or love our neighbor. Love does NOT abolish the Law, it is the heart of the Law.

Amen, well said. :)

Reactions: gadar perets

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
So, what you are saying is that you never sin. You have total mastery over sin by never breaking a law.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.​

Yes of course, by the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ, I have mastery over sin.

And concerning the scripture you just quoted, If I am convicted of sin, and I deny it, then of course, I am a self deceiver. But verse 9 tells us how to receive forgiveness when we are convicted. And that is confess.
The Bible says if I confess my sin he is faithful and just to forgive me.

Hence, if after I have been forgiven I still say I have sin, of course I am making God a liar. Don't you agree?

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yes of course, by the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ, I have mastery over sin.

And concerning the scripture you just quoted, If I am convicted of sin, and I deny it, then of course, I am a self deceiver. But verse 9 tells us how to receive forgiveness when we are convicted. And that is confess.
The Bible says if I confess my sin he is faithful and just to forgive me.

Hence, if after I have been forgiven I still say I have sin, of course I am making God a liar. Don't you agree?
Yes, if we confess our sin and receive forgiveness, then we no longer have that sin upon us. Your own words are contradictory. First you said, "Yes of course, ..." meaning you NEVER sin or break a law. Then you said, "If I confess my sin ..." meaning you sometimes sin and need forgiveness. The latter statement is true and the former is false. We all sin even after receiving Yeshua as Savior, some more than others. The ideal is to never sin and have total mastery over sin as Yeshua did, but I know of no one that has attained that lofty goal, not even you by your own words. So then , my use of "endeavor" was correct. It is my goal to obey my Creator's laws because I know full well that to disobey is sin. You are also endeavoring to not sin because you know that if you do, you will need to confess it and ask for forgiveness.

Last edited:

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Yes, if we confess our sin and receive forgiveness, then we no longer have that sin upon us. Your own words are contradictory. First you said, "Yes of course, ..." meaning you NEVER sin or beak a law. Then you said, "If I confess my sin ..." meaning you sometimes sin and need forgiveness. The latter statement is true and the former is false. We all sin even after receiving Yeshua as Savior, some more than others. The ideal is to never sin and have total mastery over sin as Yeshua did, but I know of no one that has attained that lofty goal, not even you by your own words. So then , my use of "endeavor" was correct. It is my goal to obey my Creator's laws because I know full well that to disobey is sin. You are also endeavoring to not sin because you know that if you do, you will need to confess it and ask for forgiveness.

My first reply was to the scripture you quoted. "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves".

Then for the second part, our bone of contention is keeping the Law of Moses. For the person endeavoring to keep the Law of Moses, he errs as well as the one walking in the law of the Spirit of life-- walking by faith, in the Spirit(under grace).

But the difference between the two is that the person endeavoring to keep the Law of Moses often stumble, because he is under the dominion of sin. While the one walking by faith in the Spirit has dominion over sin and occasionally stumbles as is common to every master.
And that is the difference. And this difference is a great difference. It is a great difference between 'The Law of Moses' and the 'The Law of the Spirit of Life In Christ (The Law of Faith--Grace)'. It is the great difference between death and Life. It is also the great difference between Heaven and hell.

For instance, when my little child was trying (endeavoring) to walk, he often fell and got back to creeping again. But now that he has mastered walking, he sometimes stumble and fall, but when he does, he immediately stands up and begin to walk again.

And I believe there is a significant difference between the two. And that also is the difference between an endeavorer and a master.
So I don't endeavor, but rather, I walk in Spiritual mastery over sin by faith. And of course, my confession and asking for forgiveness when I know I have stumbled, is a part of my master walk in the Spirit (in the Light) as the scripture instructs.

Reactions: ScottA