The Living know they will die

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve heard Ecclesiastes 9:5 discussed in relation to what comes after going into a casket. How this verse is proof that the dead know nothing. How the dead do not have eyes to see anything. How the dead do not have ears to hear anything. Of course though in the future; the dead will hear a trumpet, calling them up out of the graves. This is not meant to be sarcastic but I am only sharing how some of that leads me to questions. Im not questioning what comes after the casket or in it. If this verse does indeed address those buried in a casket or cremated as the difference in: “the Living” and “the dead.”

I’ve thought a lot lately about this verse and how it could possibly teach so much that seems to be supported by life itself. The struggle to hold onto things. Desperately. Fearfully. Panicking. Grappling. Even waging war to have them or “it”.

“The Living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything nor do they have any more reward.”

Only sharing another perspective. Consider how hard it is…Watching in the mirror as time definitely over takes you. The aging and deterioration is one thing man can’t overcome. The ache in the bones. It is going to come. That seems to be the topic of Ecclesiastes 9. That one event happens to us all. No way around it. Man may try to live forever or come up with medical breakthroughs but eventually man can only sustain to keep death at bay for a time, and a season. To me “the Living knows they will die” reminds me of where Paul spoke of knowing he would have to put off this tabernacle as Christ had shown him.”
2 Peter 1:14-16 Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shown me. [15] Moreover I will endeavour that you may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance. [16] For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

“the Living know they will die”
“But the dead do not know anything nor do they have any more reward” reminds me also of all the verses on building a bigger barn …or gaining things out of envy and greed and desire yet: tonight death comes for you then whose will all those things be? Also the saying how you can’t take it all with you.

Im trying but failing to share a Life principle (I think) in “the living know they will die”. As Christ has prepared us for it (that event that comes upon all). To me this lines up with coming to terms with this is temporal; and where and what is the true reward.

“The Living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything nor do they have any more reward.” Matthew 6:16-21 Moreover when you fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. [17] But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face; [18] That you appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and Your Father, which sees (the heart)in secret, shall reward you openly. [19] Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: [20] But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: [21] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Isaiah 26:13-14 O Lord our God, other lords beside you have had dominion over us: but by you only will we make mention of Your name. [14] They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased(Paul spoke of his decease), they shall not rise: therefore You visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

“The Living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything nor do they have any more reward.”

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many do not realize the above is in God's Context of Prophecy, For Israel
And, IF we:

Rightly Divide (2 Timothy 2:15) it From “Things That Differ” (online)

we find This:

God's Other Context Of His Mystery Program, For The Body Of Christ,

we now know we have A Blessed Hope, and 'may Not' all have to die:

"Behold, I shew you A Mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be​
changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for​
the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and​
we shall be changed." (1 Corinthians 15:51-52)​
+
"For The LORD Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of​
the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in [The Body Of] Christ​
shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together​
with them in the clouds, to meet The LORD in the air: and so shall we ever be​
with The LORD. Wherefore Comfort one another With These Words."​
(1 Thessalonians 4:16-18)​
However, IF "we do have to die" Then we have can Have Confidence in
This Pauline Truth,
Correct?:

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die IS GAIN!" (Philippians 1:21)
+
"For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to DEPART {soul},
And To Be WITH CHRIST; which IS FAR BETTER!" (Philippians 1:23)
+
"Now He that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, Who
also hath given unto us The Earnest of The Spirit. Therefore we are
always Confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body,
we are absent from The LORD: ( For we walk by faith, not by sight: )

We are Confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body,
and to be Present With The LORD!
" (2 Corinthians 5:5-8) Where?:

"...Paradise in The Third Heaven!..." (2Co 12:1-4)
--------------------------
Precious friend:

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided (+ I and II)
!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many do not realize the above is in God's Context of Prophecy, For Israel
And, IF we:

Rightly Divide (2 Timothy 2:15) it From “Things That Differ” (online)

we find This:

God's Other Context Of His Mystery Program, For The Body Of Christ,

we now know we have A Blessed Hope, and 'may Not' all have to die:

"Behold, I shew you A Mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be​
changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for​
the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and​
we shall be changed." (1 Corinthians 15:51-52)​
+
"For The LORD Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of​
the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in [The Body Of] Christ​
shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together​
with them in the clouds, to meet The LORD in the air: and so shall we ever be​
with The LORD. Wherefore Comfort one another With These Words."​
(1 Thessalonians 4:16-18)​
However, IF "we do have to die" Then we have can Have Confidence in
This Pauline Truth,
Correct?:

"For to me to live is Christ, and to die IS GAIN!" (Philippians 1:21)
+
"For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to DEPART {soul},
And To Be WITH CHRIST; which IS FAR BETTER!" (Philippians 1:23)
+
"Now He that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, Who
also hath given unto us The Earnest of The Spirit. Therefore we are
always Confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body,
we are absent from The LORD: ( For we walk by faith, not by sight: )

We are Confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body,
and to be Present With The LORD!
" (2 Corinthians 5:5-8) Where?:

"...Paradise in The Third Heaven!..." (2Co 12:1-4)
--------------------------
Precious friend:

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided (+ I and II)
!
Thank you for sharing. I do get what you are saying. I made a mistake saying it was Paul who spoke of putting off the earthly tabernacle as the Lord had shown him…when it was 2 Peter the quote was from. 2 Peter 1:14 Lexicon: knowing that the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent, as also our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.

I do see this hope you speak of in 2 Peter 1:15-16 also …of not following cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

My point was not to squash Hope but the opposite. That verse “the Living know they will die” helped me to consider while knowing you will die; it is better to base your hope in God instead of in temporary things. That is all.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve heard Ecclesiastes 9:5 discussed in relation to what comes after going into a casket. How this verse is proof that the dead know nothing. How the dead do not have eyes to see anything. How the dead do not have ears to hear anything. Of course though in the future; the dead will hear a trumpet, calling them up out of the graves. This is not meant to be sarcastic but I am only sharing how some of that leads me to questions. Im not questioning what comes after the casket or in it. If this verse does indeed address those buried in a casket or cremated as the difference in: “the Living” and “the dead.”

I’ve thought a lot lately about this verse and how it could possibly teach so much that seems to be supported by life itself. The struggle to hold onto things. Desperately. Fearfully. Panicking. Grappling. Even waging war to have them or “it”.

Only sharing another perspective. Consider how hard it is…Watching in the mirror as time definitely over takes you. The aging and deterioration is one thing man can’t overcome. The ache in the bones. It is going to come. That seems to be the topic of Ecclesiastes 9. That one event happens to us all. No way around it. Man may try to live forever or come up with medical breakthroughs but eventually man can only sustain to keep death at bay for a time, and a season. To me “the Living knows they will die” reminds me of where Paul spoke of knowing he would have to put off this tabernacle as Christ had shown him.”
2 Peter 1:14-16 Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shown me. [15] Moreover I will endeavour that you may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance. [16] For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

“the Living know they will die”
“But the dead do not know anything nor do they have any more reward” reminds me also of all the verses on building a bigger barn …or gaining things out of envy and greed and desire yet: tonight death comes for you then whose will all those things be? Also the saying how you can’t take it all with you.

Im trying but failing to share a Life principle (I think) in “the living know they will die”. As Christ has prepared us for it (that event that comes upon all). To me this lines up with coming to terms with this is temporal; and where and what is the true reward.

“The Living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything nor do they have any more reward.” Matthew 6:16-21 Moreover when you fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. [17] But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face; [18] That you appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and Your Father, which sees (the heart)in secret, shall reward you openly. [19] Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: [20] But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: [21] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Isaiah 26:13-14 O Lord our God, other lords beside you have had dominion over us: but by you only will we make mention of Your name. [14] They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased(Paul spoke of his decease), they shall not rise: therefore You visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish.

Just as before you were born maam, but of course death is not the finale Jn 5:28,29