The Lord's Supper

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Of all the gospels, the one written by John is the one which most closely represents truth for today, and has been used most effectively to save many a soul. However, the Lord's supper is notable, in that gospel, for it's absence. It is omitted by John. Why should that be? If it were intended to be a practice perpetuated 'until He come'.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Acolyte

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

Of all the gospels, the one written by John is the one which most closely represents truth for today, and has been used most effectively to save many a soul. However, the Lord's supper is notable, in that gospel, for it's absence. It is omitted by John. Why should that be? If it were intended to be a practice perpetuated 'until He come'.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Perhaps they (Matthew, Mark and Luke) wrote still of the types and shadows while he (John) wrote of the real thing:

"Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him." John 6:53-56

The OT is full of types or shadows, but since God is still speaking to men who at the first cannot understand the Truth, even in the NT, types and shadows also are used. The transition that each of us needs to make, from types and shadows to reality, can be in the milk and meat of which Paul writes. It can be seen in the use of parables:

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." Matt 13:10-16

Are our eyes and ears blessed?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is omitted by John. Why should that be?
John's Gospel was different from the Synoptic Gospels by design. The Lord's Supper is not really omitted by John, but a different aspect of it is presented to us:

JOHN 13
1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;
3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

Jesus had already alluded to the spiritual significance of the Lord's Supper earlier (as noted by Amadeus):

JOHN 6

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
48 I am that bread of life.
49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Reactions: Nancy and Acolyte

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello there,

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Charity,

John is believed to have been written much later than the other Gospels and was written to re-enforce the other Gospels and possibly to debunk the Gnostics who were around at that time.

The Bread of Life Discourse tells us VERY CLEARLY something that the other three Gospels don't tell us. It tells us we MUST eat/drink Him and that he is the bread that came down from Heaven etc. etc.

Some walked away when they heard this. The ones that stayed were eventually shown HOW to accomplish this at the Last Supper.

The Didache was probably written 10-20 years BEFORE the book of John and it shows that the Christians at that time already practiced the Eucharist to be Holy. Maybe, because of the Gnostics, John thought a need to re-enforce the holiness of the Eucharist by writing what Jesus said of which no one else had written?

Bible Study Mary

Reactions: Acolyte

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, @Marymog, @Enoch111 and @amedeus, for responding to my OP. In the light of your responses I will not pursue this further at this time. However, 'eating' and 'drinking' of the Lord Jesus Christ is a matter of believing what He said; for the words that He spake 'they are spirit' and 'they are life'; for as He says, 'the flesh profiteth nothing' (John 6:63).
The Word of God concerning His Son, His person and His work: believed, received, inwardly digested and assimulated, is the food and drink of the child of God, in Christ; it has nothing to do with the partaking of a liquid or eating of a substance; for this 'food' and 'drink' is spiritual, and not of the flesh.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, @Marymog, @Enoch111 and @amedeus, for responding to my OP. In the light of your responses I will not pursue this further at this time. However, 'eating' and 'drinking' of the Lord Jesus Christ is a matter of believing what He said; for the words that He spake 'they are spirit' and 'they are life'; for as He says, 'the flesh profiteth nothing' (John 6:63).
The Word of God concerning His Son, His person and His work: believed, received, inwardly digested and assimulated, is the food and drink of the child of God, in Christ; it has nothing to do with the partaking of a liquid or eating of a substance; for this 'food' and 'drink' is spiritual, and not of the flesh.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
That's the smartest thing to do. You will never get past the Spirit of Religion so many people need to live under. The Holy Spirit has to do that for them.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Christ Jesus
Chris
I agree, He did say "the flesh profit nothing".

What He did not say is that "MY flesh profit nothing".

He made it VERY clear that we must eat his body (flesh) to have life in us and Whoever eats my flesh remains in me, and I in them.

How do you eat his flesh/body Charity?

Bible Study Mary

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
He did say "the flesh profit nothing".
What He did not say is that "MY flesh profit nothing".
He made it VERY clear that we must eat his body (flesh) to have life in us and Whoever eats my flesh remains in me, and I in them.
How do you eat his flesh/body Charity?

First, to quote and answer what
'eating' and 'drinking' of the Lord Jesus Christ is a matter of believing what He said; for the words that He spake 'they are spirit' and 'they are life'; for as He says, 'the flesh profiteth nothing' (John 6:63).

God bless you for taking stance in Jesus Christ's TRUTH. O, I wish I could find the words to describe my overwhelming emotions. God may have meant that I would not. His Truth stands on its own in Christ, manifest and invincible. The issue you touched on is one of the MAIN issues in Christianity and it concerns the very heart of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I wish to state my beliefs in this respect, therefore.
Most important, I reject with utter CONTEMPT the notion that John and the other Gospels disagree - call the difference(s) whatever, it is FAKE and GOD-insulting.

Next, The ostentatious difference originated and is ever re-introduced and maintained by a SINGLE AGENT of satan, the Roman Catholic church of Antichrist, for the grossest of idolatry, the 'Eucharist' or 'Mass'.

Every Scripture misappropriated for this abomination of "the blood of a dead man" must get so corrupted and ABUSED for every man given it to drink, to die. And it all starts and ends with the false supposition that John and the Synoptists are irreconcilable AT THE LAST SUPPER.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-31_7-44-45.png
    upload_2018-12-31_7-44-45.png
    203 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2018-12-31_7-45-33.png
    upload_2018-12-31_7-45-33.png
    203 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte and charity

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
John's Gospel was different from the Synoptic Gospels by design. The Lord's Supper is not really omitted by John, but a different aspect of it is presented to us:

Yes; John is a different Gospel; not a differing Gospel. In other words, John is authentic like the others. HISTORICALLY there is no - NO! - disagreement or as much as difference.

And it is at the historic that the learned and great men implode, exploding in pomp and prejudice.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
the Lord's supper is notable, in that gospel, for it's absence.

These words sound like J.R. Ryle in his Commentary on the Four Gospels? Whatever, this claim sounds stranger and less than ever, represents Gospel truth for today.

But read EVERY relevant Scripture in the last chapters of the FOUR Gospels in textual sequence put TOGETHER in chronological and logical, historical and literal, word for word, verse by verse, context to context, ORDER, using the King James Version, interlinear with the Greek, and The Last Supper FITS Jesus' perfect fulfilment of the Passover, while any doubt is dispelled with Scripture ALONE as per the Christian Confession of Faith, Article, 'I believe in Christ, who was crucified, who died and was buried, and who “ROSE from the dead according to the Scriptures THE THIRD DAY”' of "three days thick darkness" of the "Plague" that "was upon Him".

Read it HERE, http://www.biblestudents.co.za/books/Die Hart van die Evangelie - Die Laaste Lyding en Triomf van Jesus Christus.pdf

Reactions: Acolyte and charity

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

JOHN 13
1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;
3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

Jesus had already alluded to the spiritual significance of the Lord's Supper earlier (as noted by Amadeus):

JOHN 6

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
48 I am that bread of life.
49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Good post; thank you!

I see "'a different aspect of it is presented to us'" in this, "56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him."

Catholics insist the wine becomes Jesus' physical blood and the bread his physical body.

Therefore, Do they physically dwell in his physical body and dwells his physical body physically in theirs? No! And so I know the whole mass of the Catholic Mass is nonsense ... no, is IDOLATRY!

Reactions: charity and ScottA

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Jesus lived "under the Law" while BEING THE LAW of God above it, under it, around it, inside it - "CHRIST THE SUBSTANCE OF FEAST OF SABBATHS' EATING AND DRINKING ... THE HEAD (of) ... The Body of Christ's Own", which, "holding onto the Head, grows with the growth of God". Colossians 2:16-19.
So, "offering up Himself a Sacrifice", Christ, is it who was "nailed to the cross" and was "taken out of the way" - AND WAS RAISED UP AGAIN The Magnified Law-Word of God "in the flesh" and time of his own creation. "This same Jesus God raised Christ and Lord."

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
These words sound like J.R. Ryle in his Commentary on the Four Gospels? Whatever, this claim sounds stranger and less than ever, represents Gospel truth for today.

But read EVERY relevant Scripture in the last chapters of the FOUR Gospels in textual sequence put TOGETHER in chronological and logical, historical and literal, word for word, verse by verse, context to context, ORDER, using the King James Version, interlinear with the Greek, and The Last Supper FITS Jesus' perfect fulfilment of the Passover, while any doubt is dispelled with Scripture ALONE as per the Christian Confession of Faith, Article, 'I believe in Christ, who was crucified, who died and was buried, and who “ROSE from the dead according to the Scriptures THE THIRD DAY”' of "three days thick darkness" of the "Plague" that "was upon Him".

Read it HERE, http://www.biblestudents.co.za/books/Die Hart van die Evangelie - Die Laaste Lyding en Triomf van Jesus Christus.pdf
'Purge out therefore the old leaven,
that ye may be a new lump,
as ye are unleavened.
For even Christ our passover
is sacrificed for us: ... '

(1 Cor. 5:7)

Hello @GerhardEbersoehn,

I have not been able to access your link. However, I thank you for your entries.

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head,

Chris

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
as ye are unleavened.

Hello @GerhardEbersoehn,

I have not been able to access your link. However, I thank you for your entries.

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head,

Chris
charity:

Interesting to see the transition also in Luke 22 from the passover to the Lord's Supper... :)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
charity:
Interesting to see the transition also in Luke 22 from the passover to the Lord's Supper... :)

Yes, @farouk,

Also to note to whom the Lord was addressing His Words, as well as the occasion upon which they are spoken. They were Jews, celebrating Passover, something that was incumbent upon them. They were now to not only fulfill this function in obedience to the law, but as His disciples, whenever they performed it, remember also the One Who, as their Passover, would be crucified for them. He was their Passover. His blood was the blood of the New Covenant, which would be made with Israel (Jer. 31:31).

When Israel failed to acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah and King, at the end of the Acts period, they were laid aside (temporarily) in unbelief. Therefore the new covenant, and all associated with it, is in abeyance, until the day when Christ returns and Israel repents, and the new covenant instituted. That includes the Lord's supper.

During this intervening period: during which the Church, which is the Body of Christ, is being called out; this symbolic ritual, which is so linked with Passover, and Israel's hope, is not a requirement. For the church which is the Body of Christ is not aligned with Israel, but is a new creation in Christ Jesus: a joint body, in which Jew and Gentile are on an equal footing, and blessed together with every blessing that is spiritual, in Christ Jesus their risen Lord.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who is J. R. Ryle?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reactions: charity

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
as ye are unleavened.

The old leaven is "purged out", when "even Christ our passover
(was) sacrificed for us
" --- NOT when "EATEN with the flesh"! Exodus 12:15B "even the first (head) day … the fourteenth day of the First Month … ye shall put away leaven out of your houses." 12:6 "The fourteenth day of the First Month Israel shall kill it." Mark 14:12 Matthew 26:17 Luke 22:7 "the first day of without leaven / the first day of de-leaven when they killed the passover". NOT EATEN as "At The First Night" John 19:39, of "seven days ye shall eat unleavened bread." Exodus 12:15A.

Last edited:
Reactions: charity