The Love Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it possible for us humans to understand what love really IS ?
We used the word so often for anything from food , landscapes, people , and God.

Reactions: Dave L

Hisman

Mar 31, 2019
westen
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
BTW this is not a trick question where I have the answer up my sleeve.
I do not understand what love is , not really .
I know what the bible says. I know the many definitions of it.
But love to me is like wet slippery soap, I can never really grasp it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hisman
While I understand the difficulty men have with the word, God will help us will He not... if we really want to be helped rather than to always be the leaders, the directors of other men?

For many years the 13th chapter of I Corinthians has been my guide on this, but how many believers read this with an understanding from God? If we do, do we have it all down pat according to all that God could or would show us if we would allow Him to do so? First look to this verse for help available:

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

And then...

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;
does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." I Cor 13:4-7

[Note that I normally read the KJV which uses the word "charity", but for this thread and for consideration of the specific English word, "love" I have used a Modern KJV.]

Reactions: Nancy and Dave L

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible for us humans to understand what love really IS ?
We used the word so often for anything from food , landscapes, people , and God.

The easist way to understand what Love is, is to remember that Love means wanting the best for the person one loves.

Most often love is used in away that can only mean for my best and that is not love.

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

I think Jesus illustrates true love on the cross.

“Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law [Ten Commandments] and the prophets.” (Matthew 22:37–40) (KJV 1900)

Jesus fulfilled the Two Great Commandments which automatically fulfilled the Ten.

He loved God with all his mind, heart, and soul, not only in life, but in death as well.

He loved God offering himself up in sinless perfection on the cross, the worst death any sinner could die.

He loved God with all his heart when he committed himself in Gethsemane saying "thy will be done, not mine".

And he loved his enemies when he died in their place. As they blindly wrenched the last drop of blood from him. While he asked God to forgive them for killing him.