The mark of Cain ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it must have been - for those who saw it would kill him he said - twinc

All unsaved people have the mark/name on their right hand or in their foreheads to distinguish them from believers. Revelation 13:16-18 reads:

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 Here is WISDOM. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

In contrast, all believers have have their Father's name written in their foreheads.

Revelation 14:1 reads:

And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father’s name written in their foreheads.

I believe the above scriptures pertains to the mark of Cain and the unsaved of the
world that they belong to Satan and those who have the Father's name written in their foreheads belongs to God.

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Base12

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
it must have been - for those who saw it would kill him he said - twinc

Jim, you need to get your scripture quotes right ....IT SAYS:- In Genesis 4.15.

And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

The Lord God Himself marked Cain to save him FROM being killed, not so that he would be killed!!
Plus God said He would judge anyone who did kill Cain!

The mark was obviously something that people could easily see and understand, that Cain was under God's special protection.

For Cain this was not a negative thing, but a positive thing.....it saved his life!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

The Lord God Himself marked Cain to save him FROM being killed, not so that he would be killed!!

The mark was obviously something that people could easily see and understand, that Cain was under God's special protection.

For Cain this was not a negative thing, but a positive thing.....it saved his life!

presuming he would take a lot of finding - twinc

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was the mark of Cain destroyed in the flood?

Stranger

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think Cain had his own personal mark...I don't read of a mention that any other person had "Cain-mark."

I'll buy it Stranger, what are you thoughts? :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Cain had his own personal mark...I don't read of a mention that any other person had "Cain-mark."

I'll buy it Stranger, what are you thoughts? :)

That is interesting. I had never considered the mark being to Cain only. I considered it to Cain and his descendants. If it was to just Cain, then it died with him. If it was to his descendants also, it died with them in the flood. Unless one of the wives of the daughters of the sons of Noah, were of Cain.

Stranger

Reactions: Nancy

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
<snip>
Revelation 13:16-18 reads:

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

<snip>

I always found that interesting when compared to such as Exodus 13:9, 13:16, Deut 6:8, 11:18.

I am inclined to agree regarding the "mark of Cain" as no longer existing post-flood. Though I have heard some rather wild theories about it.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An interesting note to this is that there is a man named Lamech of Cain's linage who also killed a man (or two depending on interpretation) who claimed if Cain was avenged 7 fold he woild be 77 fold avenged.

The difference is that God told Cain that. Lamech told his wives. So I don't know if Lamech's threat holds any weight.

As for the mark of Cain: Romans 16:17 says to mark them that cause division. Does that mean to place a physical mark like an X on their forehead? Of course not. It simply means to take note of them.

I'm not arguing for or against it, but it may not have been a physical mark.... Cain may have been the Mark himself.

Just a thought to throw out there...

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
An interesting note to this is that there is a man named Lamech of Cain's linage who also killed a man (or two depending on interpretation) who claimed if Cain was avenged 7 fold he woild be 77 fold avenged.

<laughing at myself> Thank you for pointing that out and bringing to light how ludicrous one of my previous statements was.

The difference is that God told Cain that. Lamech told his wives. So I don't know if Lamech's threat holds any weight.

Concur

As for the mark of Cain: Romans 16:17 says to mark them that cause division. Does that mean to place a physical mark like an X on their forehead? Of course not. It simply means to take note of them.

Indeed, and turn away from them. Though sometimes I wonder if some are perhaps too quick to do so. OTOH: Perhaps some would do well to do so sooner. I stand guilty on perhaps both counts.

I'm not arguing for or against it, but it may not have been a physical mark.... Cain may have been the Mark himself.

Just a thought to throw out there...

Something that with the resources available, I doubt anyone in this life shall ever know.

Thanks for the thought.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i would not presume to know about Cain's mark, but it might be noted that the raven was released after the flood, and did not return, fwiw. Iow we supposedly started over with 8 "Godly" people, yet we still have sin in the world.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all. Not saying any are right or wrong, I have read the posts made here and some have very, very good points. but consider this. The word Mark, according to Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English it means, the primary sense of which is to go. When used here as a noun. Which fits the context of scriptures of him being move from one place to another in order to save his life. Let me explain. After Cain killed his brother, the Lord move Cain from his, (the Lord) and the others present. Genesis 4:15 "And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him”. so Cain present is the key. in order to slay Cain one would have to find him first. Hence the reason why he went east of the garden in nod. Genesis 4:16 "And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden”. there he started a NEW LIFE. To me, it’s like today’s witness protection program, where one can start “ANEW”. a new beginning?. Was this a foreshadow of GRACE to come for sinners to began anew.

Now the word SET, according to Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English is to 1. To put or place; to fix or cause to rest in a standing posture. “reset in a standing posture", to me this means something have “fallen” and needs to be fixed, with the correction or restoring to it’s previous position, hence reset in a standing positing. If fallen, restore. As in a fallen image, regain it.

If we put both definitions into motion it appears that God was moving Cain in order to protect his life, which I agree with the posters who made that assessment, which is great. Take for example, in old times when a child behaved badly, sometimes the parents sent their child to live with a distant relative in another part of the country in order to save the child from further destruction. We also use these terms in our language today and don’t pay any attention to it, example, in a race contest, we say, on our “MARK”, get ready “SET” and go. The mark and the set is for you to go somewhere...... the finish line?, other words as the dictionary definitions states, “the primary sense of which is to go”. or be moved.

This is just my opinion of course by looking at the context of the scriptures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy and bbyrd009

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@bbyrd009, thanks for the like, I notice what you said about not knowing about Cain's mark. I like earnest people. instead of lying you was earnest in your answer. while reading the posts, "byGrace" said something that struck me. I had to go back to some old notes I made on this subject years ago. maybe these note might help you to understand this mark of Cain.

there was some other revelation and some foreshadowing on Cain's mark.
1. a foreshadow I see in this Set Mark of Cain is the Cities of refuge. When someone commits murder they could go to these cities for refuge. Numbers 35:6 "And among the cities which ye shall give unto the Levites there shall be six cities for refuge, which ye shall appoint for the manslayer, that he may flee thither: and to them ye shall add forty and two cities”. kinda like our modern day cities of refuge for illegal aliens here in the United States. because Cain build a "City"

There is yet another foreshadowing. Numbers 35:12 "And they shall be unto you cities for refuge from the avenger; that the manslayer die not, until he stand before the congregation in judgment”. now if this don't sound like, Romans 14:10 "But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ".

But yet there is another foreshadowing. The “avenger” The near kinsman, the redeemer. Read Gills commentary on Numbers 35:12 about the “avenger” the kinsman. this would clearly show why Cain was sent from the present of the Lord.

Yet another revelation. here in Numbers 35:12, which confirm what I been saying about the other people who Cain was afraid of. His righteous brothers and sister, or cousins down the line, his KINSMAN, who was born in the Garden of Eden before he and Able who was born outside the garden in sin. Yes the kinsman who the right of redemption of an estate that was mortgaged belonged to such an one, so of revenging the blood of any one that was killed. part of Gill's commentary. but also Read the story of Ruth, of who Boaz was a kinsman redeemer there for other purposes. but the movement of Cain fits the story line and the context of the scriptures.

The scriptures are wonderful, Isaiah 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little"

Reactions: Ziggy

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

yes you are right and it could have been like the Hindu bndoo - - a red dot above the nose in the middle of the forehead which was regarded as a mark of extra holiness/protection by God - twinc

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread got off topic a long time ago.

I said nothing about working the soil.

The point is that Cain was never in the Garden of Eden. Thus alleged his removal from it never happened and therefore could not possibly be the mark.
Adam was in the Garden, and Cain was in Eden, but just not the garden. and after the killing of his brother, he went east in Eden.

remember there was a garden in Eden. Eden is a place.

Reactions: Ziggy

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam was in the Garden, and Cain was in Eden, but just not the garden. and after the killing of his brother, he went east in Eden.

remember there was a garden in Eden. Eden is a place.

16 And Cain went out from the presence of Jehovah, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. Not "in".

Blueberry

Nov 2, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Might as well be earnest and quote everything here...

let me help you out here a bit, according to Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English, " Mark", the primary sense of which is"to go", to pass.

notice Mark used here is a NOUN, and not a verb.

Gen 4:15 And the LORD 3068 said 559 8799 unto him, Therefore 3651 whosoever slayeth 2026 8802 Cain 7014, vengeance shall be taken 5358 8714 on him sevenfold 7659. And the LORD 3068 set 7760 8799 a mark 226 upon Cain 7014, lest 1115 any finding 4672 8802 him should kill 5221 8687 him.

226. oth

oth: a sign
Original Word: אוֹת
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: oth
Phonetic Spelling: (oth)
Definition: a sign

Its "upon Cain". I have difficulty reading it any other way than a physical, visible sign/mark.

Rev 13:16 And 2532 he causeth 4160 5719 all 3956, both small 3398 and 2532 great 3173, 2532 rich 4145 and 2532 poor 4434, 2532 free 1658 and 2532 bond 1401, to 2443 846 receive 1325 5661 a mark 5480 in 1909 their 846 right hand 1188 5495, or 2228 in 1909 their 846 foreheads 3359

5480. charagma

charagma: a stamp, impress

Original Word: χάραγμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: charagma
Phonetic Spelling: (khar'-ag-mah)
Definition: a stamp, impress
Usage: sculpture; engraving, a stamp, sign.

in their right hand, or in their foreheads

1909. epi

epi: on, upon
Original Word: ἐπί
Part of Speech: Preposition
Transliteration: epi
Phonetic Spelling: (ep-ee')
Definition: on, upon
Usage: on, to, against, on the basis of, at.

The English reading of "in" might point me to an RFID chip or similar. But here we find "on" or "upon" again. Even "at". Which merely depicts the location. Magnetic ink tattoo technology might mean it could easily be both a visible outward "mark" as well functioning RFID 'device'. Of course this would also be a mark or sign of allegiance to the Antichrist.

first thanks for the response, you said,

Its "upon Cain". I have difficulty reading it any other way than a physical, visible sign/mark.

read this, and tell us if you can see this.
Num 11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease".

question, can you see the Spirit upon a man or woman?

so your angle of "upon" don't fly.

See a spirit upon a man or a woman, no. See a mark upon a man or a woman, yes.