The Other Side of American Church Persecution

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While there is no doubt that things are changing - and rapidly changing at that - here in America when it comes to the Church, I think this article has a bit of a point.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/19/all-aboard-the-uss-persecution-complex.html

Thankfully, the experience of Christian persecution in America can now be explored in depth: those with the desire (and the means) to undertake the harrowing journey can sign up for the 2015 Ligonier Ministries Caribbean Study Cruise, led by the Reverend R. C. Sproul. This year’s theme? “Christ’s call to endure persecution and suffering faithfully.”
Normally, I find that Dr. Sproul has a pretty prudent way of explaining and doing things, but it does seem a bit much that you're effectively taking a luxury cruise to talk about persecution. I'm just not sure this was the appropriate PR way to handle such a topic when there are tens of thousands experiencing extreme persecution and millions more experiencing very scary and dangerous persecution in the world.

Is this theologically crying wolf a bit early?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
While I agree that the cruise is "crying wolf", I see this article as little more than a "point and laugh" piece. "Look at those goofy Christians...taking a luxury cruise to talk about how they are persecuted! Ha, ha, ha!"

Sadly, Rev. Sproul is practically begging for that sort of treatment and in turn is not doing Christianity any favors.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
“The Church used to be a lifeboat rescuing the perishing. Now she is a cruise ship recruiting the promising.” ~ Leonard Ravenhill