The parable of the Good Samaritan

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Dreams

Feb 22, 2020
Raipur
Faith
Christian
Country
India

The Parable of the Good Samaritan​

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just noted something…!
Compare that passage to this one:
18 A ruler questioned Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 19 But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me [i]good? No one is [j]good except God alone. 20 You know the commandments, ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not give false testimony, Honor your father and mother.’” 21 And he said, “All these things I have kept since myyouth.” 22 Now when Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

But His answer to the ruler was only from the tablet that deals with loving others…He did not include those of loving God.
hmm…I see the difference of the lawyer “wanting to justify himself.”
I also see a difference between “inheriting eternal life” versus “having treasure in heaven.”

Last edited:
Reactions: My Dreams

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you see is the difference?
Besides the man from the first passage “wanting to justify himself” in the first passage, the main thing I see is the difference of one answer given to “obtain eternal life“ and then something further to “have treasure in heaven” in the second passage.

It seems to tie Mathew 25:31-46 in for me. Where the first are welcomed in for doing what is right in caring for others as much as for themselves despite the fact that they seem to not have recognized His body.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and My Dreams

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The second group didn’t recognize His body either, but their answer is, huh? When did we ever see You and NOT give a drink to one of Your body? They are the ones who thought they knew Him.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Parable of the Good Samaritan​

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Hello My Dreams,

This today was my sharing lesson with people out there in the world.

This is a very interesting parable that Jesus speaks to the Lawyer who was, I suggest born under the law.

The Parable is interesting because two people who were born under the law, which were priest, were unregarded by the welfare of the individual who had been mugged, wounded and stripped of his clothing lying half-dead in the street.

One seen him, laying there and passed him by.

The second went up and looked directly at him, and simply decided to go on his way.

The third person was suggested as samaratin who, was not born under the law, went up to the half-dead man and had compassion on him.

He picked him up and put him on the beast or horse and took him to an inn, and payed the debt after taking care of him. He told the innkeeper he would be back to pay any more fines that were left when he had returned.

It seems this parable is suggestive of Jesus Christ - who had compassion on the multitudes of people; it also is suggestive of Jesus Christ paying the sin debt for all people - but also returning to recompense any pay back that was due (those who killed christ?).

I could be totally wrong but either way it was an interesting read earlier this morning going through this, but also going on to learn about the story of Mary and Martha.

That story is interesting because it deals with priorities between Mary and Martha where Martha had her eyes always fixed on doing things in the world, and Mary was resting listening to Jesus which was 'needful' or 'the thing that was needed'.

Which speaks volumes as far as human beings go - where is your mind focused on the world or on the things which are above - as Jesus Christ was from above and we are from beneath.

May the God of peace be with you, and all, and thank you for sharing.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is just further confirmation that God will have mercy on who He will have mercy, despite the arrogant judgements of religious men.

It proves that when men say they are “saved” and another who does what is right is filthy rags and not “saved” is speaking without understanding, to the man’s own harm. We aren’t to judge that. If a gentile loves others as much as himself, he will be welcomed in if God decides to welcome him in. And arrogant religious men who judged death to that gentile who did what was righteous will be judged as they have arrogantly judged.

It really is the great delusion. And so few can see it because they are taught things it never says in the Bible. Epi has spoken well and very accurately about this but no one can see it. And I just keep finding more and more confirmation. And if you can’t see it, you can at least keep yourself safe by refusing to judge anything before the the time. And yet, the doctrines TEACH us to judge what we were told not to. It’s a vicious circle at this point.
vicious circle - a situation in which one problem causes another one, making the original problem impossible to solve.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s like…a nonresolving negative feedback loop, even though I don’t think there IS such a thing…

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As a matter of interest should we give cash to beggars sitting in our streets asking for handouts?
I mean, our welfare systems ensure nobody starves nowadays, so why do they feel they have to also sponge off us?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a matter of interest should we give cash to beggars sitting in our streets asking for handouts?
I mean, our welfare systems ensure nobody starves nowadays, so why do they feel they have to also sponge off us?
Do you really want to delegate to the secular government a task that Jesus told us to do? Gosh, and they accuse people on the dole of being lazy!

Reactions: Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That said, there are ways other than handing out a few quid to "go and do likewise". Make use of the skills and resources and imagination God gave you.

Oh, and talk to people. Get to know people as real human beings.

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a tough one. Sometimes I have to question why we give money because we can have all kinds of hidden motives for giving cash to someone. Maybe not even aware why we give. For example: to justify ourself in our own mind as being so good. Like a pat on the back or a stroke of ego….having nothing really to do with them. There was a man where I used to work that always came in with his dog. He walks the street in our town always with his big ol’ dog and every one knows him as the homeless man. He once asked me for cash saying it was about to rain and someone had stolen his tarp. Explaining he needed another tarp to keep out of the rain. I gave him money. After he would come in almost every day at work with his dog, employees always giving his dog treats. he would ask them, “do you have anything for daddy?” I started saying no every time.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a tough one. Sometimes I have to question why we give money because we can have all kinds of hidden motives for giving cash to someone. Maybe not even aware why we give. For example: to justify ourself in our own mind as being so good. Like a pat on the back or a stroke of ego….having nothing really to do with them. There was a man where I used to work that always came in with his dog. He walks the street in our town always with his big ol’ dog and every one knows him as the homeless man. He once asked me for cash saying it was about to rain and someone had stolen his tarp. Explaining he needed another tarp to keep out of the rain. I gave him money. After he would come in almost every day at work with his dog, employees always giving his dog treats. he would ask them, “do you have anything for daddy?” I started saying no every time.
Give to the poor from your heart and without arm twisting. If you doubt you should in a situation, then don’t. If you think you should, then give cheerfully.
And if you are in a gathering of believers and you see a brother in need, give your tithe to him. It does not have to go through any middleman. It only needs to go directly from you to God via the brother in need. If anyone in the gathering finds out you have given a portion, or all, of what belongs to God, to your brother in need, and they take offense that you did not use them as a middleman, it is probably best to flee, or else give the money bag to someone who is not manifesting satan through the flesh and make that other man sit down and listen or make him leave if he will not. It would be better to go back to the poor man and give it all to him for God than to give it to a man who insists on being the middleman for Gods Spirit.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give to the poor from your heart and without arm twisting. If you doubt you should in a situation, then don’t. If you think you should, then give cheerfully.
And if you are in a gathering of believers and you see a brother in need, give your tithe to him. It does not have to go through any middleman. It only needs to go directly from you to God via the brother in need. If anyone in the gathering finds out you have given a portion, or all, of what belongs to God, to your brother in need, and they take offense that you did not use them as a middleman, it is probably best to flee, or else give the money bag to someone who is not manifesting satan through the flesh.
Definitely not arguing giving if moved to give. What is your input on: money I have none but what I do have, I give to you?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Definitely not arguing giving if moved to give. What is your input on: money I have none but what I do have, I give to you?
You can not give what God has not first given to you. How can you give what you do not have…? The apostle did not have any money to give at the time so it was impossible to give what he did not have…so he gave from what he DID have, not from what he didn’t have.
Just let the Spirit lead you and you will do well. If your heart is right and you give, do Not worry or fuss that you made a mistake - God will take care of it all.

We all do worry about if giving money to a poor and homeless person might harm rather than help, if they buy drugs or booze with what we give them, and that is wisdom, and I have some experience in that - you can give them food or a coat or a tarp instead of giving them money, but I once bought a coat for a man then watched him sell it and go into the liquor store. After that I began to give used coats so they couldn’t sell them. So yes, use as much wisdom as God gives you but don’t begin to despise them if they have an addiction and are sorely broken in mind and spirit. Just help them wisely and without being manipulated if your heart is stirred.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can not give what God has not first given to you. How can you give what you do not have…? The apostle did not have any money at the time so it was impossible to give what he did not have…so he gave what he DID have.
Thinking about the parable of the Samaritan. Is money really the currency? Is that really the point? I get it was the Samaritans heart and hearing Gods voice which moved him with compassion. Maybe that does look like giving money. I’m not saying it isn’t. But it also could be not keeping others out of the kingdom of God. if the parable reveals Christ who tended to the man by the side of the road, (us)wounded and left half-dead, taking him back to the innkeeper and agreeing to pay anymore spent on the man by the innkeeper…then does it have anything to do with money as that payment, or increase? Or more about giving room for others to enter in to the kingdom of God? Taking him to the innkeeper? ‘In my Fathers house there are many rooms’. ‘As poor yet making many rich’ …we could say the one on the side of the road is poor ‘stripped, wounded, and left half-dead’ and the Samaritan is made rich by being moved with compassion by God and taking him to the inn. to be honest I think the whole parable speaks of persecution for the words sake and the man by the road side is the one persecuted for the words sake …first persecuted by the priest who passes by, and second persecuted by the Levite who also walks by. Consider how the man on the side of the road could be offended. “Offense will come.” A priest and a Levite walked past! “What is this religion that speaks of Christ?” Where a priest and a Levite walks on past?

No one stops until the Samaritan. For the sake of the word the Samaritan is proved to be the brother of him who fell among thieves. Is the Samaritan proved to be the brother of Christ who also fell among thieves? I’m sorry because I get that is so many questions. Consider this though. I’ve been in the church and seen some who will give money religiously paying a tithe. But what they won’t give you is room in “their inn”; saying instead you are hell bound. Point is I’m trying to make is: is it easier to give money than to slide over and let someone else in (especially those we want to mock) because we want so desperately to shout we are in, and they are out.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There was a man where I used to work that always came in with his dog. He walks the street in our town always with his big ol’ dog and every one knows him as the homeless man. He once asked me for cash saying it was about to rain and someone had stolen his tarp..

Yeah cheeky beggars have always got an excuse.
One told me he'd tried to hang himself but the rope had broke, so i gave him a few quid, perhaps he wanted it to buy a thicker rope..:)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you, group,

When it comes to giving - God loves a cheerful giver.

The thing is, you do not always have to give money to anyone such as like a drug addict or the beggar or even tithe at church if it's demanded among the congregation, though the poor is with us always. If you give to the active drug addicted person that is Called enabling, it is not helping their problem.

You can take them for a meal, but you never know what they could use that money for and you could already be in a financial situation where you have very little anyway, and if you can't give cheerfully - do not give at all.

My thoughts go to what happen in Acts 3;

Acts 3​

New International Version​

Peter Heals a Lame Beggar​

3 One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon.

2 Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts.

3 When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money.

4 Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!”

5 So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

6 Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”

7 Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong.

8 He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God.

9 When all the people saw him walking and praising God,

10 they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful,and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

Last edited: