The Parables of Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok so i'm still reading the book of Matthew & i'm curious to know what does everyone think of the Parables of Jesus? what do you think they mean? i'm cuirious about the wheat & the tares is that really talking about true & false Christians? also the good & bad fish, the woman with the batch of dough? the farmer sowing seed? what do you think they mean? any opinions would be nice

Reactions: amadeus

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
ok so i'm still reading the book of Matthew & i'm curious to know what does everyone think of the Parables of Jesus? what do you think they mean? i'm cuirious about the wheat & the tares is that really talking about true & false Christians? also the good & bad fish, the woman with the batch of dough? the farmer sowing seed? what do you think they mean? any opinions would be nice
The parables become so familiar that you can sometimes think you know what they mean but then, like me this morning, you suddenly see something you've never seen before.

They all mean different things and are Jesus' way of teaching us something in a simple way. But only through the work of the Holy Spirit can we fully appreciate and understand what Jesus is telling us. So if you don't understand anything shortangel, then ask the Holy6 Spirit to show you the meaning.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The parables become so familiar that you can sometimes think you know what they mean but then, like me this morning, you suddenly see something you've never seen before.

They all mean different things and are Jesus' way of teaching us something in a simple way. But only through the work of the Holy Spirit can we fully appreciate and understand what Jesus is telling us. So if you don't understand anything shortangel, then ask the Holy6 Spirit to show you the meaning.
@Pearl It can be really good to re-read such passages in the Gospel that may already be very familiar; they do come across so fresh as one re-reads them...

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The parables all describe aspects of the Kingdom of God. Look closely and see if you can define what Jesus means by 'The Kingdom of God'.....if you can, the parables will be no mystery....if you can't, you'll wonder what on earth is he trying to say here.

Be encouraged...keep reading....keep asking....God mostly....for understanding for direction, for discernment and wisdom.

a part of God's Kingdom is this Earth....some of the parables are explained......their thrust is all the same just using different angles to explain fundamentally what is going on.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl It can be really good to re-read such passages in the Gospel that may already be very familiar; they do come across so fresh as one re-reads them...
I've recently seen something new in the parable of the Prodigal Son. I've heard or read it so many times but then suddenly something new is revealed to me. I love it when God does that.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can you share it with us ?

COVERED AND SEALED

Something made me re-consider the story of the prodigal son the other day.

The younger son went his way but repented and returned to his father.

The father did not condemn his young son but welcomed him home with rejoicing.

He placed a cloak over him to cover his tattered and dirty garments and placed ring on his finger.

Now I know that many of you will already have seen this but I believe that God shows us truths at different times and I suddenly saw that the ‘cloak is the cloak of righteousness and the ring is like the seal of the Holy Spirit which guarantees our inheritance.

He also put sandals on his feet but so far I have not seen the significance of that.

All old stuff, well known story but given new life. Brilliant.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:13-15

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
Isaiah 61:10

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thank you all so much for your opnions on these Parables :) i will reread them again :)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
COVERED AND SEALED

Something made me re-consider the story of the prodigal son the other day.

The younger son went his way but repented and returned to his father.

The father did not condemn his young son but welcomed him home with rejoicing.

He placed a cloak over him to cover his tattered and dirty garments and placed ring on his finger.

Now I know that many of you will already have seen this but I believe that God shows us truths at different times and I suddenly saw that the ‘cloak is the cloak of righteousness and the ring is like the seal of the Holy Spirit which guarantees our inheritance.

He also put sandals on his feet but so far I have not seen the significance of that.

All old stuff, well known story but given new life. Brilliant.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. Ephesians 1:13-15

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
Isaiah 61:10
@Pearl It's so good to re-read familiar Scripture passages...and thereby get more light or a renewed enjoyment of existing light! :)

Reactions: Pearl

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
...i'm curious to know what does everyone think of the Parables of Jesus? what do you think they mean?
The Parables of the Kingdom of Heaven (also called the Kingdom of God) are a revelation of the condition of Christendom between the first and second coming of Christ. Christendom is the sum total of all the denominations and religious groups which claim to be Christian. In Matthew 13, there are seven parables given by Christ:

1. The parable of the sower: shows that while the Gospel is preached throughout the world, the impact of the Gospel will vary with the condition of the heart.

2. The parable of the wheat and tares: shows that among those who profess to be Christians there are genuine children of God (wheat) and there are those who appear to be Christians but have not been regenerated (tares).

3. The parable of the mustard seed: shows the power of the Gospel, which had small beginnings with eleven apostles, and is now a worldwide phenomenon producing a harvest of souls in the millions.

4. The parable of the leaven: shows that the corruption of false doctrines and practices began while the apostles were on earth, and now we are in the Great Apostasy. [Note:leaven (yeast) invariably represents spiritual corruption].

5. The parable of the treasure hid in a field: shows that because the Church is precious to Christ, Christ gave His all to purchase it.

6. The parable of the pearl of great price: is another representation of the parable of the treasure in the field.

7. The parable of the good and bad fishes: is another representation of the parable of the wheat and tares.

The reason Christ spoke in parables is because of the wilful blindness of the scribes, Pharisees, and lawyers, who refused to believe Christ and acknowledge Him as their King/Messiah.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Parables of the Kingdom of Heaven (also called the Kingdom of God) are a revelation of the condition of Christendom between the first and second coming of Christ. Christendom is the sum total of all the denominations and religious groups which claim to be Christian. In Matthew 13, there are seven parables given by Christ:

1. The parable of the sower: shows that while the Gospel is preached throughout the world, the impact of the Gospel will vary with the condition of the heart.

2. The parable of the wheat and tares: shows that among those who profess to be Christians there are genuine children of God (wheat) and there are those who appear to be Christians but have not been regenerated (tares).

3. The parable of the mustard seed: shows the power of the Gospel, which had small beginnings with eleven apostles, and is now a worldwide phenomenon producing a harvest of souls in the millions.

4. The parable of the leaven: shows that the corruption of false doctrines and practices began while the apostles were on earth, and now we are in the Great Apostasy. [Note:leaven (yeast) invariably represents spiritual corruption].

5. The parable of the treasure hid in a field: shows that because the Church is precious to Christ, Christ gave His all to purchase it.

6. The parable of the pearl of great price: is another representation of the parable of the treasure in the field.

7. The parable of the good and bad fishes: is another representation of the parable of the wheat and tares.

The reason Christ spoke in parables is because of the wilful blindness of the scribes, Pharisees, and lawyers, who refused to believe Christ and acknowledge Him as their King/Messiah.
Good summaries to remember; thank-you @Enoch111

Reactions: Enoch111

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the last three posts are not the words of Jesus as we find them in the gospels, we can determine that they are derived from an extrabiblical (antibiblical?) source and are not to be trusted.

They may even be derived from gnostic sources...they appear to me to be so.

Be careful, little flock, that you do not get deceived by things that appear to be nice but contain a grain of arsenic.

Now, I did not even read past the first few words; following what the holy scripture teaches in Proverbs 19:27 (kjv).

Reactions: DNB

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

PARABLE-
A story to Make a Point.

A Natural Carnal man HEARING- A PARABLE, hears "A story", intended to Make a Point.

Pretty straight forward...eh?
Story- from speaker
Point- by story telling
Carnal man- listener

• Now INTRODUCE-
The TRUTH-

John 14:
[6] Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
^ That is my belief.

• Now Consider- The man LISTENING.
• it is Every Single Man's INDIVIDUAL Freewill TO Believe...
"IF" JESUS "IS" the TRUTH or NOT.

• So the Fact IS... Everything Hinges ON..
• As an Individual, "YOU" have to decide What "YOU" Believe.
• Do YOU Believe "Jesus IS the Truth" or Not?
(It matters not, nor affects YOU, what any other individual Believes.
It is what YOU alone Believes about Jesus.)

You as the Listener...are Either Listening TO the Truth or Not.

Prophecy said...He would Open His Mouth, speaking in PARABLES.
Pss 78:
[2] I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:

"IF YOU" have decided Jesus IS the TRUTH...
• Does it MATTER...what Jesus' "STYLE of Speaking IS Called"?
• A Riddle? A Story? A Prayer? A Parable?
^ To me, no it does Not matter.

• Or Does THE TRUTH, always Speak the TRUTH...Period?
^ That is my belief.

• So WHY pay Particular attention to The Truth (Jesus), particularly Speaking IN PARABLES?

Because Scripture itself REVEALS... the "INTENT" of Jesus' PARABLES.

The INTENT

Mark 4:
[11] And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

A MYSTERY- is something NOT before Known.
OT men were told many things...YET the how's and Why's were a MYSTERY to them.

Many of Jesus' PARABLES reveals the answers to The MYSTERIES.

Inanutshell...

A man who DOES NOT believe Jesus IS the Truth...Simple HEARS, a story that the man Carnally (mindfully) tries to figure out its meaning.

A man who DOES believe Jesus IS the Truth...
Simply hears a True MYSTERY being Revealed.

^ That is my belief.

Glory to God,
Taken

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I been wanting to figure out the unleavened bread for years. Lol I think I learned something this year. So Jesus says the kingdom of heaven is like three measures of dough or something a woman mix an unleavened bread. It reminds me of the holy spirit or a whole piano note. You know how when you make pizza dough you spread it out it becomes a whole bread. It also reminds me of an opera singer when they sing in whole notes. It's like the holy spirit joining the body of Christ together in unity too but no I just think it means the woman put something inside and hid it inside the bread but just Jesus could of meant anything. It depends on what his specific meaning was. She could have his poison or something in the bread or whatever the real item was behind the metaphor. Think of a box of ice cream. Slip a joint in it. Mix it up a little and what do you get? A "whole" box of ice cream with a hidden drug mixed in it.

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The parable of the mustard seed is about how when someone gets something good going people want to come and mess it up by destroying in any way they can. That's why Jesus said the birds pecked in it lol trying to mess up everything ..you know make you go down..and stumble.. because they jealous

Oct 30, 2020
Marksville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The parable of the fishermen is to catch men ..you know see people for who they are or it could mean get people in the kingdom..

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hm...

One of the key parables Lord Jesus gave was about His enemies. It's important to understand about the natural things He used in the parables as symbols. For example, the idea of tares is about real agriculture. Tares are weeds that look exactly like real wheat when it is growing. When it gets closer to its full growth it sprouts a black bud on the end, making it distinguishable from real wheat. The tares represent Christ's enemies starting all the way back in the Book of Genesis about the children of darkness, the workers of iniquity. It is what Apostle Paul called the "mystery of iniquity" in 2 Thessalonians 2. After He gave that parable to the multitudes, He and His disciples went into the house and they privately asked Him what it meant. Then Lord Jesus 'explained' the meaning, and it means exactly what He explained. The tares are the children of the devil, the good seed are God's children. The enemy that sowed the tares is the devil. And as tares are separated from the wheat at harvest and cast into the fire, so it will be at the end of this world. Simple, direct, profound.

To go deeper, the tares are about a certain group of people 'ordained' to work the negative side of God's Plan. Jude 1 reveals this. They are called "crept in unawares". Christ's Salvation is open to them too if they will accept it, but it is in their beast nature to work for the devil during this present world, and they were ordained or assigned to that working. Many brethren are not aware of this because of the world's brainwashing. The reality is, there truly is a group of workers on this earth that have no intention of ever coming to Christ Jesus, and no matter what we do or say, they hate those in Christ all the more. And they try to creep in to destroy, which is one of their main operand i. And this matter will not be settled until our Lord Jesus returns.

In the parable of the sower, same thing pretty much. All the methods of sowing the seed that didn't produce fruit involve a symbol representing the devil and/or his workers. Lord Jesus used agriculture terms again, which must be understood. Just like real agriculture, a crop won't truly produce unless the soil is tilled (not a wayside, which is a hard compacted path), the stones and thorns are removed, which were symbols used back in the Old Testament Books representing the devil and his.

Reactions: justbyfaith