The perpetual paschal mystery

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Brothers and sisters,

On another thread, our friend @Waiting on him said

"For those who believe the crusifiction (sic) is finished they need to have a second look. There are many going to that cross, this very moment. I have to only assume at some point they actually went there.
It’s a perpetual happening
."

To which I wholeheartedly agree! Further, I would suggest that unless one can grasp this, they will not understand the Divine Liturgy (Mass).

In the Divine Liturgy, we celebrate and participate in that perpetual paschal mystery. We lift up the ONE sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, and to this we unite our praise and thanksgiving, our prayers and our supplications, yes even our very selves; that through, with, and in, our great High Priest Jesus Christ, we might offer to our Almighty Father, the pure sacrifice spoken of long ago in Malachi 1:11
To HIM be the power and the glory and the honour, for ever and ever! Amen!

And then our Love, our Sweetness, our Joy, our LIFE, the risen Christ; gives HIMSELF to us, and unites HIMSELF with us, renewing and consumating the eternal covenant between the Groom and HIS bride.

And all are welcome to come to this feast...

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let the hearer say, "Come." Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water.

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!

Reactions: aspen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Further, I would suggest that unless one can grasp this, they will not understand the Divine Liturgy (Mass).
According to Scripture, the sacrifice of Christ cannot be a PERPETUAL sacrifice, as claimed in the Catholic Mass. That would be a denial of THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST for our redemption.

When the veil in the temple at Jerusalem was supernaturally torn in two from top to bottom, that was the end of temple sacrifices and the Levitical priesthood. The Roman Catholic Church has created an UNAUTHORIZED human priesthood, with an UNAUTHORIZED daily sacrifice of Christ. This makes a mockery of what Christ accomplished on the cross.

HEBREWS 9

24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

As you can see the Catholic Church has TOTALLY DISREGARDED this Scripture, and setup its own idolatrous Mass to deceive its members. And it has also clearly stated that this is NOT the Lord's Supper.

Reactions: Stan B and marks

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The sacrifice of Jesus is once for all. It is finished. But the power of that event is perpetual....as we each in turn experience that cross for ourselves...so as to be separated from the sinful part of us that is the power behind the flesh. So we are set free to walk in His resurrection life. Paul gloried in the effective power of His cross that caused such a remarkable life. That is what the cross of Christ gives to us...a remarkable life lived through Him.

So then we are not called to be merely as spectators cheering God on...but we are to get involved as participants in the power of the cross and His sufferings.

God is not looking for a cheering section, but they who follow His Son. To those He gives His grace so that we can be empowered to represent God...and not ourselves.

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brothers and sisters,

"For those who believe the crusifiction (sic) is finished they need to have a second look. There are many going to that cross, this very moment. I have to only assume at some point they actually went there.
."

To which I wholeheartedly agree! Further, I would suggest that unless one can grasp this, they will not understand the Divine Liturgy (Mass).

In the Divine Liturgy, we celebrate and participate in that perpetual paschal mystery. We lift up the ONE sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, and to this we unite our praise and thanksgiving, our prayers and our supplications, yes even our very selves; that through, with, and in, our great High Priest Jesus Christ, we might offer to our Almighty Father, the pure sacrifice spoken of long ago in Malachi 1:11

And then our Love, our Sweetness, our Joy, our LIFE, the risen Christ; gives HIMSELF to us, and unites HIMSELF with us, renewing and consumating the eternal covenant between the Groom and HIS bride.

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." Let the hearer say, "Come." Let the one who thirsts come forward, and the one who wants it receive the gift of life-giving water.

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!
There is a lot i could pick at but i'll just say that if the crucifixion is perpetual does that mean His suffering or dying? His death can't be perpetual because in Rev 1 He Himself says that He was dead and is alive forevermore. So it can't be that. Nor can it be the suffering preceding His death. If He never died, He was never buried and finally resurrected. No resurrection, no salvation; 1 Cor 15. So you'll have to clarify what exactly you mean by perpetual crucifixion.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The sacrifice of Jesus is once for all. It is finished. But the power of that event is perpetual...
And that is an entirely different topic. You have failed to address the gross error of the Catholic Mass which is the subject of this thread. Do you accept the Mass as valid or is it unscriptural?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brothers and sisters,

."

Peace be with you!

Christ IS risen!
Alleluia!
This is indeed a consummation, Jesus says for us to take up our cross and follow Him. What do people believe crosses are for? I am crucified with Christ!

Reactions: Philip James

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a lot i could pick at but i'll just say that if the crucifixion is perpetual does that mean His suffering or dying? His death can't be perpetual because in Rev 1 He Himself says that He was dead and is alive forevermore. So it can't be that. Nor can it be the suffering preceding His death. If He never died, He was never buried and finally resurrected. No resurrection, no salvation; 1 Cor 15. So you'll have to clarify what exactly you mean by perpetual crucifixion.
We participate in his sufferings.

Reactions: Giuliano

Nondenom40

May 21, 2019
Illinois
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We participate in his sufferings.
Of the cross? Where is anyone told they participate in the suffering of the cross?

Also, the op says this;
."
So its not merely saying you participate in His sufferings but that the crucifixion itself is ongoing. No one has yet to tell us how the crucifixion is still happening.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of the cross? Where is anyone told they participate in the suffering of the cross?

Also, the op says this;

So its not merely saying you participate in His sufferings but that the crucifixion itself is ongoing. No one has yet to tell us how the crucifixion is still happening.
Are you following Him?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is indeed a consummation, Jesus says for us to take up our cross and follow Him. What do people believe crosses are for? I am crucified with Christ!
This is quite irrelevant to the OP which is about the Roman Catholic Mass.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you following Him?
I’ll be the first to admit I’ve been wrong about many things.
Galatians 5:24 KJV
[24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Tecarta BibleMaybe I’m not seeing this clearly?
I don’t (seek) to save my life.
The flesh profits nothing. That’s how He was able to stake it up and put very little infuses on it. Just my opinion

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sacrifice of Jesus is once for all. It is finished. But the power of that event is perpetual....as we each in turn experience that cross for ourselves...so as to be separated from the sinful part of us that is the power behind the flesh. So we are set free to walk in His resurrection life. Paul gloried in the effective power of His cross that caused such a remarkable life. That is what the cross of Christ gives to us...a remarkable life lived through Him.

So then we are not called to be merely as spectators cheering God on...but we are to get involved as participants in the power of the cross and His sufferings.

God is not looking for a cheering section, but they who follow His Son. To those He gives His grace so that we can be empowered to represent God...and not ourselves.

Not just to "look to that death" like the OT sacrifices, but to share in that death, and in His resurrection.

To share in His sufferings. What does that look like, would you say?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that is an entirely different topic. You have failed to address the gross error of the Catholic Mass which is the subject of this thread. Do you accept the Mass as valid or is it unscriptural?

HI Enoch,

Actually, he did say it was once and for all, and is finished. Seems to me to be straightforward.

Much love!

Reactions: Stan B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Also, the op says this;

It's not.

God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself. It's reconciled. It's over.

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him