The Power to not sin in the flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are those that claim they have the power to not sin in the flesh. They never say they sin in the flesh because that would show they do not really have that power. Since they think they no longer sin they have nothing to repent of.

As a Matter of fact they make God a liar because God has said all mankind sins and those who claim they don't are liars.

1 John 1:8-10
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
NKJV

Reactions: bbyrd009

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are those that claim they have the power to not sin in the flesh. They never say they sin in the flesh because that would show they do not really have that power. Since they think they no longer sin they have nothing to repent of.

As a Matter of fact they make God a liar because God has said all mankind sins and those who claim they don't are liars.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
NKJV

Nobody has the power to never sin within ourselves. But within Christ ALL things are possible...especially the victory over sin. So your argument is a smokescreen that is trying to cover up a lack of faith in Christ.

It is only as we abide in Jesus that we take on His victorious walk...the victory of walking in the grace of His humanity. By faith.

Walk in Jesus and sin not. We all have sinned but Jesus came to save us FROM our sins..not IN our sins as the OP is suggesting. So this is about faith in Christ. It is about the truth of His grace...as opposed to a dead religious belief that has no power over the flesh.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody has the power to never sin within ourselves. But within Christ ALL things are possible...especially the victory over sin. So your argument is a smokescreen that is trying to cover up a lack of faith in Christ.

It is only as we abide in Jesus that we take on His victorious walk...the victory of walking in the grace of His humanity. By faith.

Walk in Jesus and sin not. We all have sinned but Jesus came to save us FROM our sins..not IN our sins as the OP is suggesting. So this is about faith in Christ. It is about the truth of His grace...as opposed to a dead religious belief that has no power over the flesh.

The OP says what it says and you seem to disagree with what it says. So you wish to make the scripture a lie.

I have repeatedly said ""sins in the flesh"" but you wish to say something else in order to get around the scripture I quoted. I think that is twisting the word of God.

Jesus came to save us from the condemnation of our sins of the flesh.
Rom 8:1-5 --- Free from Indwelling Sin
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, ***who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.***

The part in between the *** are not in the original writings and were added. They do not appear in the Tyndale Bible which was the first printed in English.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
NKJV

You are not in the spirit but you are in the flesh and you think your flesh will save you by not sinning.

Last edited:

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 15:9-10
9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
NKJV

Gal 5:1-5 - Christian Liberty
5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
NKJV

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are not in the spirit but you are in the flesh and you think your flesh will save you by not sinning.

The result of walking according to the flesh is that you will sin. It is when you walk according to the Spirit that you have victory over sin. Paul says we are to put to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit...if we want to live.

Rom. 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

So you have it exactly backwards. You think by continuing to sin in the flesh...that that means you are walking in the Spirit.

But if someone puts to death the deeds (sins) of the flesh by the Spirit...you call that walking by the flesh.

So really your world is upside down...where up is down and down is up and righteousness is evil and evil is righteousness.

But you are being consistent at least! :)

So then WHO puts the sins of the body to death? We do...by entering into Christ by the Spirit. IN HIM we partake of His victory over sin. Not by human works...but by faith and in His grace.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The result of walking according to the flesh is that you will sin. It is when you walk according to the Spirit that you have victory over sin. Paul says we are to put to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit...if we want to live.

Rom. 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

So you have it exactly backwards. You think by continuing to sin in the flesh...that that means you are walking in the Spirit.

But if someone puts to death the deeds (sins) of the flesh by the Spirit...you call that walking by the flesh.

So really your world is upside down...where up is down and down is up and righteousness is evil and evil is righteousness.

But you are being consistent at least! :)

So then WHO puts the sins of the body to death? We do...by entering into Christ by the Spirit. IN HIM we partake of His victory over sin. Not by human works...but by faith and in His grace.
While we are walking in the Spirit, we are not sinning. While we are walking in the flesh, then we will go that wrong way again.

The best and final solution of course is to come to the point where we are walking in the Spirit continuously. In this we will find ourselves 'praying without ceasing' and 'rejoicing the Lord always'. Impossible? For any man alone certainly, but for God in us it is possible. The problem is we keep on retaking hold on our own reins. The 'old man' needs to be finally and completely killed. Leave the reins in God's capable hands all of the time.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NKJV
Hi H. Richard,

I commit sins, that is, in the way that Paul speaks of in Romans 7. But we all of us who are born again have the power to not sin, and at any moment we are trusting in God's power to keep us holy, we do not sin.

Drop out of that faith, we sin.

My 2 cents . . .

And much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NKJV
1 John 1:8 does not say, If we say that we do not sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If it said that, it would be in contradiction to 1 John 3:5-9.

It says, If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

This indicates that all of us have indwelling sin. Which is not to say that we must live according to it; for the element of sin within us can be rendered dead (Romans 7:8, Galatians 5:24, Romans 6:6).

That we do not have to live according to the flesh is evident in the following verses:

Rom 8:12, Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13, For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

These scriptures teach us that 1) we are obligated to not obey the flesh... 2) we are not obligated to obey the flesh

3) obeying the flesh will result in spiritual death. 4) putting to death the deeds of the body will result in spiritual life.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The part in between the *** are not in the original writings and were added. They do not appear in the Tyndale Bible which was the first printed in English.
See Revelation 22:19 (kjv).

Rev 22:19, And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I would much rather be guilty of adding to the word than be guilty of taking away from it.

In subscribing to a Bible where the latter half of Romans 8:1 is removed, I believe that you "take away from the words of the prophecy of this book."

If you think that there is no condemnation when there really is, how will you heed the warning about condemnation so that you can turn from your sin and exit condemnation into salvation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that we have the "power not to sin in the flesh" in that we have the Spirit of God. Paul speaks of not us but Christ in us. That said, having the power not to sin in the flesh does not mean that we will not sin in the flesh. The old us is still hanging around.

I wonder how much more a sin it is for us who have been freed from its bondage to return to sin.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that we have the "power not to sin in the flesh" in that we have the Spirit of God. Paul speaks of not us but Christ in us. That said, having the power not to sin in the flesh does not mean that we will not sin in the flesh. The old us is still hanging around.

I wonder how much more a sin it is for us who have been freed from its bondage to return to sin.
If we have the power not to sin in the flesh, but sin in the flesh anyway, there can be no other reason but rebellion against the Lord.

And that is why the devil fell in the beginning.

Reactions: John Caldwell

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some wonderful posts in the thread!
In subscribing to a Bible where the latter half of Romans 8:1 is removed, I believe that you "take away from the words of the prophecy of this book."

The general principle is that the shorter reading is to be preferred, but this is one of those instances where the scribes may have realized that the verse could be turned into heresy if it were left to stand on its own without clarification.

And thank God they did. How can one born of the Spirit not be expected to walk according to it? As the scripture says, "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk in accordance with the Spirit."

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

wow, i wonder why i read that differently? I thought it was a good way to express that sin is always lurking myself.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Nobody has the power to never sin within ourselves. But within Christ ALL things are possible...especially the victory over sin.
i mean talk about a smokescreen lol. Those who are not accountable never sin, yeh? And "within ourselves" is also given a measure of the Spirit, yes? "God-in-us?"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The OP says what it says and you seem to disagree with what it says. So you wish to make the scripture a lie.

I have repeatedly said ""sins in the flesh"" but you wish to say something else in order to get around the scripture I quoted. I think that is twisting the word of God.

Jesus came to save us from the condemnation of our sins of the flesh.
Rom 8:1-5 --- Free from Indwelling Sin
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, ***who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.***

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
NKJV

ha nobody much enjoys confessing i guess

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
While we are walking in the Spirit, we are not sinning. While we are walking in the flesh, then we will go that wrong way again.

The best and final solution of course is to come to the point where we are walking in the Spirit continuously. In this we will find ourselves 'praying without ceasing' and 'rejoicing the Lord always'. Impossible? For any man alone certainly, but for God in us it is possible. The problem is we keep on retaking hold on our own reins. The 'old man' needs to be finally and completely killed. Leave the reins in God's capable hands all of the time.
amen. what is it? might not be very sweet to the tongue, but it sure stays down better imo

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Or how completely unnecessary!

Just because we have a history of sometimes falling back to the works of the flesh doesn't mean we can't walk in the Spirit going forward.

Much love!

And welcome, John!

Reactions: bbyrd009

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See Revelation 22:19 (kjv).

Rev 22:19, And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I would much rather be guilty of adding to the word than be guilty of taking away from it.

If you think that there is no condemnation when there really is, how will you heed the warning about condemnation so that you can turn from your sin and exit condemnation into salvation?
If you look at the entire first portion of this chapter, I believe you will see that the inclusion or exclusion of this phrase does not change the meaning of the passage.

We are not under condemnation, those who have the Spirit in them.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy