The pride of life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 10, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=medium]Many deceivers these days preach a greasy grace gospel and a prosperity gospel, but we are told by the Lord to die to self[/SIZE]. And if we die to self we also shall die to sin because the nature of sin is self serving.

And if we cease from sin then we shall also suffer in the flesh. [SIZE=medium]1 Peter 4:1[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh[/SIZE] hath ceased from sin;

[SIZE=medium]Therefore reckon yourself dead to sin[/SIZE] and dead to the ways of the world, which is the lusts of the flesh, lusts of the eyes, and the pride of life. Paul said “the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world” meaning the ways of the world should now be dead to us, and we are also as dead to the world. Just as if we are truly dead to sin, we by Christ in us should live unto righteousness.

[SIZE=medium] Jesus said in [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Luke 14:26[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life [/SIZE]also, he cannot be my disciple. [SIZE=medium]Luke 14:27[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Luke 14:33[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Jesus also said in Matthew 13:44-46 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.45 [/SIZE]Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:[SIZE=small]46 [/SIZE]Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.”

[SIZE=medium]People we have to be willing to lay it all on the line, even our own lives. Jesus said in [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]John 12:25[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “He that loveth his life[/SIZE] shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.” [SIZE=medium]Luke 17:33[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Mark 8:35[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel[/SIZE]'s, the same shall save it.”

[SIZE=medium]When Paul asked Jesus to remove an infirmity in his body what was Jesus’ reply? Jesus said to Paul “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in [/SIZE]weakness. And what was Pauls revelation in this reply from Jesus? Paul said “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” What a powerful message in just those few words.

[SIZE=medium]The world frowns on weakness and infirmities of the flesh, but Paul learned humility by infirmities of the flesh, this humility also allows us to become weaker to self, which then allows us to eventually be able to die to self. But the amazing thing is when we become weaker to self, Christ working in us then becomes even stronger. Thus we understand the words in [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Philippians 1:21[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] “For to me to live is[/SIZE] Christ, and to die is gain.”

[SIZE=medium]This message of dying to oneself is not a popular message these days, and this message is about as opposite of a message as the self-serving world wants to hear. But this message is according to the Truth and the gospel of Jesus Christ. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So make no provision for the flesh[/SIZE] to fulfill the lusts thereof, and die to self, and put on Jesus Christ. Peace and God bless